**Official NY Jets General Manager Discussion Thread** (MERGED)

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You hit it on the head. Any serious football guy with clout or in demand will not want to deal with the current front office/coaching/player regime. He is looking for a corporate or outsider who would just be excited to be an nfl team gm.

The only best case scenario is that this firm was hired to vet prospects, to make sure there's no dead hookers in their closets.

i was a head hunter and a damned good one. i placed people at ge and made $14,000 for one placement. this is such a bad idea i dont know where to begin. just the fact that it leaked out before tanny was let go tells you how bad this guy is. i did blind searches and i never got busted

morons

The only good thing about this news is that they're serious about replacing Tanny. This method, however, just suggests that Woody is in way over his head.

I think it's more indicative of Woody looking to push Tanny down the ladder. He wouldn't need a firm to find one of the big GMs who would want Tannenbaum on the street. Woody wants some cardboard cutout to prop up in front of this failed personnel department and his failed capologist to give the impression that changes were made. This is Woody not wanting to spend a penny to unload dead weight.

This basically equates to Woody not wanting to pay the top candidate what he's worth, but rather paying another scumbag one salary to go find an under-qualified candidate to pay the balance of what the top candidate should get.

Most intelligent people who are not sitting on a family fortune call this six to one, half dozen to another. But its not really, its worse.... You are spending the same amount, but doing it in the least efficient manner and thus getting the lesser qualified candidate in return. Or worse paying someone to tell you to pay the top candidate what he's worth. Stupid.

Here we are contemplating whether Woody will bite the bullet on Sanchez, Rex, Sporano, Tanny contracts... LOL, Woody doesn't seem%2

How anyone can defend anything Woody does at this point is beyond comprehension. It's far more reasonable to default to the track record. Broadway, Tannenbaum, Herm, Mangini, and Rex. Anyone defending anything at this point is doing it by nothing more than blind hope. Know why this decision sucks? Because Woody made it. Simple as that. You can't fix dumb.

they are doing this to prevent having anyone officially say NO.

They reach out to search agent with specifics etc, and agent says candidate X says not interested.

This way when Jets finally hire someone , they can claim 'only candidate we offered'. Old trick.

I think it's more indicative of Woody looking to push Tanny down the ladder. He wouldn't need a firm to find one of the big GMs who would want Tannenbaum on the street. Woody wants some cardboard cutout to prop up in front of this failed personnel department and his failed capologist to give the impression that changes were made. This is Woody not wanting to spend a penny to unload dead weight.

I saw you say that. I just hope not.

I'll reserve judgement until I see what they ultimately do, but I'm not encouraged.

How anyone can defend anything Woody does at this point is beyond comprehension. It's far more reasonable to default to the track record. Broadway, Tannenbaum, Herm, Mangini, and Rex. Anyone defending anything at this point is doing it by nothing more than blind hope. Know why this decision sucks? Because Woody made it. Simple as that. You can't fix dumb.

Hess brought in Parcells.

NFL Picks Korn/Ferry to Help Search for New Commissioner

The eight-member ownership committee leading the search for a new NFL commissioner has selected the executive search firm of Korn/Ferry International to assist in the process, committee co-chairs Jerry Richardson and Dan Rooney announced today.

Korn/Ferry International (NYSE:KFY) is one of the world’s leading executive recruiters, having conducted more than 100,000 senior-level searches since its founding in 1969. Based in Los Angeles, Korn/Ferry has 70 offices worldwide and has worked with many of the world’s top companies. Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Paul Reilly will lead Korn/Ferry’s team on the NFL search.

Dan Rooney hired the firm to help find a commissioner. On the things to freak out over scale this is about a - 1.

Not familiar with Korn/Ferry but glad Woody reached outside the incest-laden football hacks currently under contract with the New York Jets...the good news...he's hired high-cost professional head hunters...hopeful Woody takes their advice and hires the right GM then gives him full authority to fire any/all of the clowns who have overseen this circus. Obviously includes Tanny, Rex, Bradway and any of the other jugglers.

This basically equates to Woody not wanting to pay the top candidate what he's worth, but rather paying another scumbag one salary to go find an under-qualified candidate to pay the balance of what the top candidate should get.

Most intelligent people who are not sitting on a family fortune call this six to one, half dozen to another. But its not really, its worse.... You are spending the same amount, but doing it in the least efficient manner and thus getting the lesser qualified candidate in return. Or worse paying someone to tell you to pay the top candidate what he's worth. Stupid.

Here we are contemplating whether Woody will bite the bullet on Sanchez, Rex, Sporano, Tanny contracts... LOL, Woody doesn't seem%2

Disagree with both. This means Woody doesn't trust his current executives and wants additional advice. We should see the termination notices soon. The more the better.

popular misconception. that does happen with the 75k range jobs with cheap ass clients, but when you get to NFL GM level they can act as thier own agents, and they know exactly what their counter parts are making and this fee will be ginormous, so no way does a candidate take less than market value. when the fee is 5,000 is easier to work that way, but when the fee is 100k or more you can't hide it

the next jets GM will not be forced to accept less so woody can pay the firm. I always cleared that up with my clients before taking on a search and I was small fries

I'm sure that was discussed, and they told woody to get a name guy (which you know he wants) he will have to make it rain. like with wheel barrows full of cash

the reason I don't like it is ultimately the decision has to be made by the jets, all a firm can do is assemble the interested candidates and weed them out and present the jets with a small group of finalists, but you still need a football guy making the final decision and that's something the jets could have done in house anyway

Hess/Parcells and Dolan/Grunwald, but these may be the exceptions.

So, theoretically, there is a basis for hope that an owner blind squirrels into a good organizational decision.

popular misconception. that does happen with the 75k range jobs with cheap ass clients, but when you get to NFL GM level they can act as thier own agents, and they know exactly what their counter parts are making and this fee will be ginormous, so no way does a candidate take less than market value. when the fee is 5,000 is easier to work that way, but when the fee is 100k or more you can't hide it

the next jets GM will not be forced to accept less so woody can pay the firm. I always cleared that up with my clients before taking on a search and I was small fries

I'm sure that was discussed, and they told woody to get a name guy (which you know he wants) he will have to make it rain. like with wheel barrows full of cash

the reason I don't like it is ultimately the decision has to be made by the jets, all a firm can do is assemble the interested candidates and weed them out and present the jets with a small group of finalists, but you still need a football guy making the final decision and that's something the jets could have done in house anyway

Only if he felt confident with those in house...no? I'm pretty sure Woody has lost confidence in many in the building...plus looks like Glat may have his ear.

Only if he felt confident with those in house...no? I'm pretty sure Woody has lost confidence in many in the building...plus looks like Glat may have his ear.

good point. what's out of this world bizarre tho is this came out before it was officially announced by the jets, so who does this guy trust ? is somebody hacking his cell phone ?

good point. what's out of this world bizarre tho is this came out before it was officially announced by the jets, so who does this guy trust ? is somebody hacking his cell phone ?

he's lost, embarrassed without sound counsel...I doubt he trusts anyone at this point...IMO...he's at the point where he needs to completely re-evaluate how HE has overseen this franchise. I'm actually encouraged by this move...cause the clowns currently running this show have embarrassed him...and dumb, rich guys usually take the embarrassment more personnel.

he's lost, embarrassed without sound counsel...I doubt he trusts anyone at this point...IMO...he's at the point where he needs to completely re-evaluate how HE has overseen this franchise. I'm actually encouraged by this move...cause the clowns currently running this show have embarrassed him...and dumb, rich guys usually take the embarrassment more personnel.

a guy like woody johnson who is a public figure and very likely extremely sef important definitely does not like to be publicly embarrassed

Youre starting to win me over. I thought this was a joke at first hiring a headhunter, but they may end up cleaning out the Florham Park rats nest this way.

Archived