**Official NY Jets General Manager Discussion Thread** (MERGED)

CrazyCarl40

here you go-I supplied you information that The Jets have a positive cash flow. Now you provide a source that says they do not.

Both sources say the same thing. 27 million before taxes and interest in 2011. You think revenue was up in 2012? You think MORE people went to the stadium and bought Mark Sanchez jerseys in 2012 than 2011?

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both sources say the same thing. 27 million before taxes and interest in 2011. You think revenue was up in 2012? You think MORE people went to the stadium and bought Mark Sanchez jerseys in 2012 than 2011?

It is now incumbent upon you providing a source saying that the Jets are not positive cash flow. Not conjecture.

See above- did not catch you using EBIT--- my accounting is rusty at best...they may not be cash positive!

I was giving the whole thing the benefit of the doubt. But you are absolutely right. Could be like the company I was an assistant controller for. Great assets, tons of debt, nice income - but cash flow was an open credit line until the debt got restructured/new products hit the market. Pretty common in business.

It is now incumbent upon you providing a source saying that the Jets are not positive cash flow. Not conjecture.

i'm just going to butt in here and say- nobody, including you- have said they are net POSITIVE cash flow. you simply point out that they made 27 million before interest and taxes. unfortunately, when you have debt - $650 million to be exact- and you made money - $27 million in 2011- you have to pay both interest and taxes.

As promised:

$650 Million in outstanding debt under "Jets Stadium Development LLC," which New York Jets LLC is the obligor.

I excluded any retired debt, so these are all outstanding issues:

• $200M - private placement - floating - Quarterly US Libor + .50 - Maturity 4/1/2047 - Sinkable Call 4/1/2013 @ 102 (ie can be paid off on this date using fund already set aside to assure the bonds are repaid)
  • $85M - private placement - auction - 0.9% - 4/1/2047 - Sinkable Call 1/31/13 @ 103
  • $97.5 M - private placement - auction - 0.9% - 4/1/2047 - Sinkable Call 1/31/13 @ 103
  • $200M - Reg S (foreign investors) - Euro dollar - Floating Quarterly Libor + .50 - Maturity 4/1/47 - Sinkable Call 4/1/13 @ 102
  • $85M - Private Placement - auction - 0.9% - 4/1/2047 - Sinkable Call 1/31/13 @ 103
  • $85M - Private Placement - auction - 0.9% - 4/1/2047 - Sinkable Call 1/31/13 @ 103
  • $97.5M - Reg S- Eurodollar - auction - coupon undisclosed - 4/1/47 - sinkable call undisclosed
  • $97.5 M - private placement - auction - 0.9% - 4/1/2047 - Sinkable Call 1/31/13 @ 103
  • $97.5M - Reg S Eurodollar - auction - 0.9% - 4/1/47 - sinkable call undisclosed
  • $85M - Reg S Eurodollar - undisclosed coupon - 4/1/47 - sinkable call undisclosed
  • $85M - Reg S Eurodollar - undisclosed coupon - 4/1/47 - sinkable call undisclosed

Does appear the bulk of that is callable between January 31st and April 1st. No idea what the terms are but he could be facing a serious cash crunch if all or some of his debt holders decide they don't like the way he is doing things.

i'm just going to butt in here and say- nobody, including you- have said they are net POSITIVE cash flow. you simply point out that they made 27 million before interest and taxes. unfortunately, when you have debt - $650 million to be exact- and you made money - $27 million in 2011- you have to pay both interest and taxes.

Not to mention that atleast some of that 27 million in 2011 are people that took out a 15k loan over 15 years to buy a PSL. That would be booked as 15k in income for 2011 because the sale happened in 2011 - but the cash would come in over 15 years. Not sure who financed those - but I think I remember reading it was the Jets. The Jets could sell those notes on a secondary market - but its more likely that they are receiving that money over the 15 years.

Does appear the bulk of that is callable between January 31st and April 1st. No idea what the terms are but he could be facing a serious cash crunch if all or some of his debt holders decide they don't like the way he is doing things.

Callable means that the issuer of the debt- the Jets- can pre-pay off that debt before their maturity. That's why it's callable @ 103, ie 3% more than the principal value. In this case, it can be done no sooner than April 2013. So the investors had guaranteed payments from 2007 until April 2013. If the investors were frustrated with the Jets and wanted money back, they have the option of selling their investment to another private party.

Not to mention that atleast some of that 27 million in 2011 are people that took out a 15k loan over 15 years to buy a PSL. That would be booked as 15k in income for 2011 because the sale happened in 2011 - but the cash would come in over 15 years. Not sure who financed those - but I think I remember reading it was the Jets. The Jets could sell those notes on a secondary market - but its more likely that they are receiving that money over the 15 years.

TBH, I will burn out before I try and determine if the Jets are positive or bleeding money, it's kind of like trying to make savings out of my annual budget with money that doesn't exist lol, but it's definitely tight, but we also don't know all the income variables, other than they have a ton of debt.

Woody would be 100 years old at that point. I guess it will be Robert Wood Johnson V's job to solicit for TARP funds should that day come.

If Woody does not have a positive cash flow, in this day of theh NFL and with the favorable new CBA, then he has no business owning a franchise.

An idiot could make money in this NFL

That would be like saying any idiot could make money owning facebook. Value does not equal cash. Its really no different than the guy who lives in the 11 million dollar home - but owes 13 million for it and just got laid off.

TBH, I will burn out before I try and determine if the Jets are positive or bleeding money, it's kind of like trying to make savings out of my annual budget with money that doesn't exist lol, but it's definitely tight, but we also don't know all the income variables, other than they have a ton of debt.

I totally agree man.

That would be like saying any idiot could make money owning facebook. Value does not equal cash. Its really no different than the guy who lives in the 11 million dollar home - but owes 13 million for it and just got laid off.

It has NOTHING to do with that. With the NFL there are GUARANTEED incomes that are escalating.

Homeowners don't get paid, just for living in their house.

I totally agree man.

I can't get any financial info on New York Jets LLC, or New York Jets Stadium Development LLC. Must be why all the issues were private placement, no requirement to disclose financials publicly to "sophisticated investors". If it was available, Bloomberg would definitely have it.

It has NOTHING to do with that. With the NFL there are GUARANTEED incomes that are escalating.

Homeowners don't get paid, just for living in their house.

The guarenteed income does not mean their debt does not exceed that said guarenteed income.

I can't get any financial info on New York Jets LLC, or New York Jets Stadium Development LLC. Must be why all the issues were private placement, no requirement to disclose financials publicly to "sophisticated investors". If it was available, Bloomberg would definitely have it.

I would be interested in seeing it. Not to win an argument - but I'm kind of a financial statement nerd. lol!

Show me what you have proven here?

Other than the laughable comparison to Facebook or a homeowner

1) the Jets have 27 million in operating income (EBITA). The earlier post showing the Jets debt absorbs most if not all of the 27 million alone, then there is amortization (no cash flow related effect), and taxes.

2) atleast some of that 27 million are PSL sales which are booked as income in 2011 - but the cash is received over a number of years. Ofcourse the interest income on an annual basis does add to the 27 million - but not at the rate that the 15k deducts. If you follow.

3) the bulk of NFL income was down in 2012 (ticket sales).

27 million is where you start. You start deducting from there. Ofcourse, like BG pointed out there could be some prepaids offsetting this - but its safe to say that the Jets cash flow is most likely negative.

What were additional revenues in 2012? ie:

TV contracts

Red zone channel

merchandising

on-line?

http://www.businessinsider.com/sports-chart-of-the-day-nfl-revenue-still-dwarfs-other-major-sports-2012-10

Link provided says that NFL revenue grew 5.6% 2011-2012.

Jets live in a media capital in a sport that has exponential revenue streams.

How many NFL owners do you see selling their franchises? They don't, because even small markets are profitable.

Ads I said earlier, if the NYJ are not profitable, Woody Johnson is one of the dumbest businessmen in America

What were additional revenues in 2012? ie:

TV contracts

Red zone channel

merchandising

on-line?

http://www.businessi...-sports-2012-10

Link provided says that NFL revenue grew 5.6% 2011-2012.

Jets live in a media capital in a sport that has exponential revenue streams.

How many NFL owners do you see selling their franchises? They don't, because even small markets are profitable.

Ads I said earlier, if the NYJ are not profitable, Woody Johnson is one of the dumbest businessmen in America

We both agree and posted that the Jets operating revenue was 27 Million. Are you now suggesting it was more? Do you understand what operating profit is?

We both agree and posted that the Jets operating revenue was 27 Million. Are you now suggesting it was more? Do you understand what operating profit is?

I am concerned with 2012. Where payroll stayed relatively flat, and revenues increased.

Wouldn't the concern be more about cash flow today, rather than last year?

I am concerned with 2012. Where payroll stayed relatively flat, and revenues increased.

Wouldn't the concern be more about cash flow today, rather than last year?

That is NFL revenue. It is split up among teams minus additional NFL expenses (legal fees, ect). Not sure how much of that makes it to the teams. The Jets are no longer selling PSL's. That is a deduction. They also probably saw a merchandise decline. Even if it goes right to the teams, 25% is only about another 7 million. I'm sure the PSL sales being lower more than makes up for that.

That is NFL revenue. It is split up among teams minus additional NFL expenses (legal fees, ect). Not sure how much of that makes it to the teams. The Jets are no longer selling PSL's. That is a deduction. They also probably saw a merchandise decline. Even if it goes right to the teams, 25% is only about another 7 million. I'm sure the PSL sales being lower more than makes up for that.

Not even sure if those figures include "local revenue", which would only add to the Jets coffers. There are revenue streams that are not shared

Not even sure if those figures include "local revenue", which would only add to the Jets coffers. There are revenue streams that are not shared

You think advertising revenue was up in this economy? For a team that is the laughing stock of the league and shares a town with last years super bowl champions? Not sure what you mean by local revenue. TV revenue goes through the league offices.

You think advertising revenue was up in this economy? For a team that is the laughing stock of the league and shares a town with last years super bowl champions? Not sure what you mean by local revenue. TV revenue goes through the league offices.

Luxury boxes

Radio revenue

concessions

Naming rights

Those are all examples of realized local revenues.

Archived