EDIT: Jets Draft Pick

Lupz27

Sure, that is absolutely true. But I would be more inclined to spending that dog choking mutha load of scratch on a more impactful type of player, like an all-pro QB for example. Take a look at this link: 2012 defense vs types of receivers -- it is as of week 16 but close enough to a full season's work. As great as Revis is, and he is great, we do not seem have missed all that much this season. Aside from the Jets' overall #9 ranking in weighted pass defense, we ranked #3 against opposing team's #1 wide receivers and #22 against opposing #2 WR's. No surprise we are also not good against TE's and RB's with our sluggish LB corps (#13 and #19 respectively). I am not a big stat geek, but this certainly jibes with what I saw on the field this year. Point is, we did not have problems against the guys Revis would have been covering had he been in the lineup. Would we have ranked #1 against opposing #1 WR's with Revis? Probably. Is it worth tying up all that money for the difference? Not in my book.

EDIT: Here's the link http://www.footballo...m/stats/teamdef

Not the best argument. Jets might jump from #3 to #1's against #1's, but the real difference would be seen in the jump from #22 to #1 against #2's with Revis and Cro both in the lineup, and then improvement right down the line from there.

A 2nd round pick is more realistic than thinking were getting two 1s and two 2. If you think otherwise, your clueless.

But I will entertain your nonsense. So name the team that will: Trade multiple first and second round picks FOR a cb guy coming off major knee surgery that will hit the open market at the end of 2013 commanding north of $15M?

I'd expect a second rounder up front, with a conditional pick that could net as high as a first rounder depending on Revis' performance. We're talking about a superstar here, a guy who's arguably the best defensive player in football. No less than two second round picks.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, that is absolutely true. But I would be more inclined to spending that dog choking mutha load of scratch on a more impactful type of player, like an all-pro QB for example.

the Jets got a once in a generation corner. yes It sucks that he's not a QB but all the cap space in the world can't put an All-pro QB in Jets green.

Wait. How about we don't trade Revis? I remember people going crazy when we missed out on Winfield, John Lynch, Nnamdi...now we have a HOF corner and we want to dump him for some hit-or-miss draft picks? This is the problem with this Jekyl and Hyde team, and its trickled down to the fanbase. Mangini's too uptight..let's hire the biggest loudmouth in the league! Pennington has a weak arm...let's go get Brett "the Gunslinger" Favre. Too many moderate talents with "good guy" labels...lets get super talents with no common sense! Cotchery? Blah! Gimme Mason! And Paxico! and Holmes! Danny Woodhead? Hell no! I want Joe McKnight! Whatever we have...I want the opposite! The complete polar opposite! That's how we win the big one!

going to put this on a tshirt it sums up being a jets fan perfectly :)

You prefer losing him for nothing?

Wake up people - this team is in for another garbage season (5 or 6 wins) in 2013. What the hell is the point of having Revis all year to watch him leave as a free agent?

This guy is not taking any discount - and we cant pay him $15M+ it will take.

And now that he is only a year from free agency and knows he cannot be tagged (nice parting gift to us fans from Tanny) he will not sign any sort of extension with anyone.

99% sure that isn't the only option.

It's a bad idea to trade him for a 2nd round pick. I don't get how it's realistic to expect only a 2nd for him in a trade because of the knee injury but completely realistic for him to get 15+ million anyway.

If he stays, the Jets get another season of maybe the best CB in the history of the sport, and no less than a 3rd round conditional pick in 2014.

Not my preference, but not nothing.

Wait. How about we don't trade Revis? I remember people going crazy when we missed out on Winfield, John Lynch, Nnamdi...now we have a HOF corner and we want to dump him for some hit-or-miss draft picks? This is the problem with this Jekyl and Hyde team, and its trickled down to the fanbase. Mangini's too uptight..let's hire the biggest loudmouth in the league! Pennington has a weak arm...let's go get Brett "the Gunslinger" Favre. Too many moderate talents with "good guy" labels...lets get super talents with no common sense! Cotchery? Blah! Gimme Mason! And Paxico! and Holmes! Danny Woodhead? Hell no! I want Joe McKnight! Whatever we have...I want the opposite! The complete polar opposite! That's how we win the big one!

I just dont think it makes sense to give a CB (even one like Revis) the kind of money it will take to extend him. Could be $15M - 18M per year.

Not the best argument. Jets might jump from #3 to #1's against #1's, but the real difference would be seen in the jump from #22 to #1 against #2's with Revis and Cro both in the lineup, and then improvement right down the line from there.

I'd expect a second rounder up front, with a conditional pick that could net as high as a first rounder depending on Revis' performance. We're talking about a superstar here, a guy who's arguably the best defensive player in football. No less than two second round picks.

I would expect/hope this as well. The point of my initial statement was "take the best offer out there". I'm simply speculating that even if we don't get a huge haul for him - it would be smart to take the best offer out there.

The stats tell otherwise. In 2011 #10 overall weighted pass defense; #5 against #1 WR's; #12 against #2 WR's; equally dismal as 2012 playing against other WR, TE and RB. Same source/methodology.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Why are people saying we lose Revis for nothing? We actually only get a 3rd round pick but that's sure something more than what I'm hearing. Most likely with Revis and that's if we come to the process of not being able to sign him then trading him for a second and a conditional 2nd the follwing year that can be change to a first if he resigns to that team sound alot more reasonable. As for his ACL, recent history shows players in their mid 20s healing back to their old form so that shouldn't scare teams as people have placed it.

Also I would rather extend Revis and trade Cro. Trading Cro who made the pro-bowl your looking at getting back a 3rd round pick at best with an additional $8+ mil of cap room being cleared. Also I still don't trust Cro as being a 1st, as he's shown many times throughtout his Jets tenure the he's unrelaible at times. As for Revsi we know were getting elite play for sure. Just spend the extra money to make sure we get back a sure thing in Revis over Cro. As for Revis trading him would give us an additional $3 mil in dead space.

Also I read someone say it wouldn't be worth spending $15 mil on Revis. What you got to understand is their actual pay is not necessarily what their accounted for on the books. He as well establish man so give him a high signing bonus.

You don't draft guards number 9 overall. You just don't. If they trade back, maybe. I don't see them drafting a RB before round 3 either. Other holes to fill.

If it's me, I trade back this year, then start the rebuild of the offense from the interior out, assuming trading back means we will have 3 picks before RD. 2 is over, I try, and come away with a run maulling OG, and a pass protecting OT, and then depending on the offense my new coordinator is going to run I either grab a POTENTIAL 3 down RB, or a stretch the field speedster at WR. Again like I have been saying I fix those problems 1st, and try to tank 2013 season, and go get my QB in the 2014 NFL draft, and let the QB come here with a nice offensive core already devolping, and just waiting for him to take the keys, and drive.

IF you trade back this year, and trade Revis for a 2014 1st, AND a 2nd in this years, or next years draft, that gives you a minimum of 6 draft picks in the 1st 2 rounds of the next 2 drafts, 4 should be spent on 2 OL, 1 RB, and 1 WR, 1 on a QB in the 1st round of the 2014 draft, and the last spent on either Revis' replacement, or a OLB/DE pass rusher, which ever one you don't get you use your cap wisely, and save $$$$$$ to plug that hole.

IMO the above is a great plan to have the Jets playing exciting football in 2014, and competing no latter than 2015, and maybe 2014 if the QB you draft happens to be as good as Luck, Wilson, or RGIII, and you made all of the correct decisions with other personnel from now until the start of the 2014 season, obviously this plan is contingent on not missing on more than 1, or 2 of those 6 picks minimum, that really shouldn't be that difficult either with the right guy, it is not hard to pick the safe OL pick most smart GM's get those right, and RB that high is usually a safe pick with the smart GM in the 1st, or 2nd (probably 2nd round), the hard positions are pass rusher, CB, and the most difficult, and important QB.

Also with this plan, my goal would be to execute the moves to setup my next 2 drafts like this, Trading Revis would net me a 1st in the 2014 draft, a 2nd in the 2013 draft, my trade back depending on how far I move will cost either a 2nd in the 2013 draft, or if it is a huge move a 1st in the 2014 draft, also both would net us the trading teams 1st rounder. So after all the moves are made our next 2 drafts would look something like this.......

2013 1st round (1 late round pick)

2013 2nd round (3 total picks) 1 from the Revis trade, and 1 from the move back.

2014 1st round (2 total picks, if I worked my plan right, and tanked the 2013 season 1 very high pick, preferably top 2, and 1 other pick TBD slot) extra 1st round pick from Revis trade.

2014 2nd round (1 pick, possibly 2 if I was able to completly fleece the team I traded Revis to, I would try and accomplish this by asking for a conditional 4th rounder for the 2014 draft, that could reach as high as a 2nd if X is reached)

That is 7 total picks, possibly 8 in those 1st 2 rounds of the next 2 drafts, and If the Jets somehow over achieve in 2013, I offer both my 1st round picks, and whatever else it takes to get my future QB in the 2014 draft if I deem the prospects to be worth it (I do believe there will be 1, probably 2 available in that draft that will be considered as PROJECTED franchise QB's by just about everyone like the 2012 draft).

Trading Revis, arguably one of the 10 best players in the NFL at ANY position, is walking over a dollar to pick up a dime. You build AROUND him. Some of the mock drafts I've seen have the Jets picking Matt Barkley (because USC QB's - Sanchez, Leinart, Palmer, Booty, Johnson - have worked out so well) or Mike Glennon, both of which make me swallow my tongue. Most of the mock drafts have them picking Jarvis Jones (a no-brainer if he's available), Mingo from LSU, or Dion Jordan from Oregon. Any of these would be a great pick, a perfect OLB compliment to Harris on the inside. Linemen can be found in the later rounds, as can RB's if they let Greene go (see Alfred Morris). As for the QB... well who the hell knows?

Wake up people - this team is in for another garbage season (5 or 6 wins) in 2013. What the hell is the point of having Revis all year to watch him leave as a free agent?

This guy is not taking any discount - and we cant pay him $15M+ it will take.

And now that he is only a year from free agency and knows he cannot be tagged (nice parting gift to us fans from Tanny) he will not sign any sort of extension with anyone.

1st off you wouldn't lose him for nothing, even if the Jets don't trade him, and he walks away via free agency, the Jets will at minimum get compensated with a 3rd round pick, and he might be the 1st player that was deemed worth a compensatory 2nd round pick for losing said FA his IS that good!

So HELL ****ING NO, trading Revis at minimum better bring back a 1st, and 2 2nd's! GOAT at his position, anyone who doesn't think Revis will come back at the same level he was pre injury hasn't paid much attention to his career from HS to the present, he is a tireless worker on, and off the field, you don't become the GOAT at your position on just talent alone. Adrian Peterson is a very good comparison to use when talking about Darrelle Revis, only difference is the position they play, both have the same work ethic, and talent to overcome that type of injury in a speedy manor with today's medical advancements.

1st off you wouldn't lose him for nothing, even if the Jets don't trade him, and he walks away via free agency, the Jets will at minimum get compensated with a 3rd round pick, and he might be the 1st player that was deemed worth a compensatory 2nd round pick for losing said FA his IS that good!

So HELL ****ING NO, trading Revis at minimum better bring back a 1st, and 2 2nd's! GOAT at his position, anyone who doesn't think Revis will come back at the same level he was pre injury hasn't paid much attention to his career from HS to the present, he is a tireless worker on, and off the field, you don't become the GOAT at your position on just talent alone. Adrian Peterson is a very good comparison to use when talking about Darrelle Revis, only difference is the position they play, both have the same work ethic, and talent to overcome that type of injury in a speedy manor with today's medical advancements.

Your right - brilliant idea. Dont trade him. Keep him for next years inevitable 5-11 season. Then lose him and hope the NFL gives us the type of comp pick that we deserve.

Might as well start the "NFL screws Jets on Comp Pick" thread now.

Everyone one is different, everyone reacts differently to surgery. To sit here and make comparisons to AP because they both work hard and are uber talented sounds nice. But your assumption that Revis will simply come back and hit the ground running is just plain ignorant.

Thinking that a team will hand over multiple 1s, multiple 2s PLUS a contract in the 'hood of $17M per year seems like wishful thinking. No organization would be stupid enough to do that; except maybe the Jets....

Also I read someone say it wouldn't be worth spending $15 mil on Revis. What you got to understand is their actual pay is not necessarily what their accounted for on the books. He as well establish man so give him a high signing bonus.

You can only hide cap dollars for so long, and Revis has proven himself to be a guy who wants to be paid in real money, not imaginary large salaries at the tail end of his contract.

I love the guy, and would love for him to retire as a Jet, but that just may not be the best move.

This is probably the front-burner item for the new GM, what to do with Revis. The man is only owed about $6M next season. Chump change for a player of his caliber. If the Jets are going to trade him, this is the time. Because if they don't, they need to give him another contract extension, and it will be difficult to do that and lower or maintain his 2013 number, and his numbers after that will be ridiculous. The Jets just may not want the headache of another round of Revis negotiations, either, and could definitely use the cap space to fix the QB position going forward.

Your right - brilliant idea. Dont trade him. Keep him for next years inevitable 5-11 season. Then lose him and hope the NFL gives us the type of comp pick that we deserve.

Might as well start the "NFL screws Jets on Comp Pick" thread now.

Everyone one is different, everyone reacts differently to surgery. To sit here and make comparisons to AP because they both work hard and are uber talented sounds nice. But your assumption that Revis will simply come back and hit the ground running is just plain ignorant.

Thinking that a team will hand over multiple 1s, multiple 2s PLUS a contract in the 'hood of $17M per year seems like wishful thinking. No organization would be stupid enough to do that; except maybe the Jets....

No what is IGNORANT is to think 1-3 TBD draft picks could ever live up to the player Darrelle Revis is, draft picks are a crap shoot, Darrelle Revis is NOT, he is arguably the GOAT at his position!

If it's me, I trade back this year, then start the rebuild of the offense from the interior out, assuming trading back means we will have 3 picks before RD. 2 is over, I try, and come away with a run maulling OG, and a pass protecting OT, and then depending on the offense my new coordinator is going to run I either grab a POTENTIAL 3 down RB, or a stretch the field speedster at WR. Again like I have been saying I fix those problems 1st, and try to tank 2013 season, and go get my QB in the 2014 NFL draft, and let the QB come here with a nice offensive core already devolping, and just waiting for him to take the keys, and drive.

Yes. Nothing changed this team for the better more than drafting MAngold and Brick in the same draft. Then adding Woody and Faneca...this team could run and pass with anyone out there. Build the line and Greene is better. Build the line and the WR finish their routes. Build the line and the QB has a run game, playaction, time to throw. Mangini put together a solid OL and built around it. Rex has systematically destroyed it, ignored it and let it atrophy into mediocrity. We started Colin freaking Baxter for three games last season. Austin Howard walked in off the street. Wayne Hunter...man I don't even have to say it.

Yes. Nothing changed this team for the better more than drafting MAngold and Brick in the same draft. Then adding Woody and Faneca...this team could run and pass with anyone out there. Build the line and Greene is better. Build the line and the WR finish their routes. Build the line and the QB has a run game, playaction, time to throw. Mangini put together a solid OL and built around it. Rex has systematically destroyed it, ignored it and let it atrophy into mediocrity. We started Colin freaking Baxter for three games last season. Austin Howard walked in off the street. Wayne Hunter...man I don't even have to say it.

They used a second rounder on the line

Archived