So will Woody give Penn St 9 mill to buy out Obrien?

Matt39

Rex is definitely out? Source? Link?

Everything Ive read up til now seems to say that Woody is heavily leaning towards keeping Rex.

There is nothing saying he is out, but my gut feeling after listening to his press conference is that he feels he is gone

What did he say?

I may be reading too much into it, but he was asked about the future of sparano and said that he didn't want to talk about sparanos future or his own future with the team.

He dropped that bit about himself in there without being asked which makes me think he may be worried.

I may be reading too much into it, but he was asked about the future of sparano and said that he didn't want to talk about sparanos future or his own future with the team.

He dropped that bit about himself in there without being asked which makes me think he may be worried.

Or he knew that if he talked about Sparano the next question was obviously going to be about him, so he just killed two birds with one stone.

He threw his starters out there for the last two weeks and every single one of them quit. Second year in a row he's completely lost the locker room and he knows it. You can't bring a guy back when that happens in consecutive seasons.

Then again, we are the Jets.

$9M to buy out O'Brien, $6M or whatever it is to buy out Rex, probably a couple million (have no idea) to buy out Sparano and Tannenbaum each. This is, of course, on top of the $8M to buy out Sanchez.

Somehow I don't see it all happening that way. Without an O'Brien-for-Rex swap, the other $15M or so is already a tough pill to swallow (even if it is the money of a billionaire who inherited everything). Doubt Woody signs up for another $15M just for the privilege of offering a contract to O'Brien, who won't be doing the job free of charge as well.

Coach Ryan will not be fired.

Mr. Tannenbaum will be demoted, but retained.

Coach Sparano will be terminated.

Mr. Sanchez will be dealt for a bag of footballs (and a 7th Round Pick). The Jets will pay most of his salary.

We will not draft a QB in the top 3 rounds.

That is what will happen.

Mr. Sanchez will be dealt for a bag of footballs (and a 7th Round Pick). The Jets will pay most of his salary.

bingo.

O'B did a decent job with Penn State considering the ridiculous situation he found himself in, but I don't know how much I'd want him as a HC, considering the results of the other BB coordinators-turned-HC's. Mangini, Weis, Crennel, McDaniels... I really appreciate all these guys have done for my team (Pats), but I don't know that I'd want to consider hiring one of them as my HC, given the past performances.

He threw his starters out there for the last two weeks and every single one of them quit. Second year in a row he's completely lost the locker room and he knows it. You can't bring a guy back when that happens in consecutive seasons.

No one believes when the team is eliminated. They've already been eliminated, what the hell is there to believe in?

I think the bigger problem is how he handled the offense/QB situation this year. I know they're blaming that mostly on Sparano, but Rex hand picked Sparano for this exact reason, and he was even more of a failure than Schotty. Having said that, The D had a very good 2nd half of the year, despite the fact that the offense could hardly pick up a 1st down.

Wouldn't say the Jets quit on Ryan. Just that the talent is no longer there for the Jets to continue being a ground and pound team. We replaced two pro bowlers with Matt Slauson and Austin Howard on the Oline. And Thomas Jones/LT became Shonne Greene/Bilal Powell/Joe McKnight. Just trying to fit square pieces into round holes doesn't work.

This is very damning.

A smart owner would seriously consider Andy Reid as HC with new GM or giving the keys of the organization to Bill Cowher, IMO.

Agree except on the last part. Depends on what we do prior to the draft. If we pick up only a stopgap (Matt Moore, Jason Campbell, etc.), then prepare for a QB in this year's draft class. If we pick up or make a trade for someone else (Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, etc.) then I agree on all points.

You really can't say these starters quit. How can you tell the difference between quitting and their lack of talent?

Thank you, Sir Winston. OOPs, I meant Lord Winston. Sorry.

You can interpret Rex's press conference behavior that way (that he already knows he is gone), and it could be. But I think it is more the behavior of a man whose social skills are essentially childish. He spent 2 and a half years bloviating and bragging and now he has gotten his comeuppance and he sounds like Ralph Kramden at the end of The Honeymooners. That does not mean he won't be fired anyway, or course. I don't think Woody has the guts to fire a guy before the season ends. He will just send someone down after the season to hand Rex a note.

This is very damning.

A smart owner would seriously consider Andy Reid as HC with new GM or giving the keys of the organization to Bill Cowher, IMO.

I like Cowher, but how good is he really? They haven't skipped a beat with Tomlin.

They're just a finely tuned organization where I think any coach could come in and be successful.

The OC is out. The DC is leaving. The STC is retiring. If not now, when? Rex should be fired for negligence. He picked Sparano, he tied his neck to Sanchez' rope, he continually decided to draft defense and spend money and pick there when it was glaringly apparent that the offense needed work. Rex Ryan should be fired.

O'B did a decent job with Penn State considering the ridiculous situation he found himself in, but I don't know how much I'd want him as a HC, considering the results of the other BB coordinators-turned-HC's. Mangini, Weis, Crennel, McDaniels... I really appreciate all these guys have done for my team (Pats), but I don't know that I'd want to consider hiring one of them as my HC, given the past performances.

The difference is O'Brien has actually over performed as a head coach someplace other than New England. Those other guys never did.

Lets not go from the ridiculous to the sublime here

It is actually true.

O'Brien has already won over a rabid fan base, and has shown that his system will succeed in a college atmosphere. He can recruit and has one of the top QBs coming in with this class, along with the top TE.

The community has embraced his family as he has embraced the community. O'Brien has a special needs child, and I would doubt he would uproot that for the tumult that is teh NYJ.

Nor, would he want to go against Belichick.

OBrien coming to the Jets is a pipedream

Archived