So will Woody give Penn St 9 mill to buy out Obrien?

Matt39

ZEROI chance he steps down. If he resigns, that means he is NOT owed the remaining money on his contract. No idiot is going to do that.

Then he can get the corner office and just coach the defense. No way he should be within 10 miles of making any other football related decisions. It is clearly above his head.

Then he can get the corner office and just coach the defense. No way he should be within 10 miles of making any other football related decisions. It is clearly above his head.

He is not going to volunteer to do that. His ego is such that he would expect someone to hire him right away.

Thinking that he will step aside is wishful thinking.

He is not going to volunteer to do that. His ego is such that he would expect someone to hire him right away.

Thinking that he will step aside is wishful thinking.

Not firing him - but not allowing him to coach might be the perfect way to fix that.

It is actually true.

O'Brien has already won over a rabid fan base, and has shown that his system will succeed in a college atmosphere. He can recruit and has one of the top QBs coming in with this class, along with the top TE.

The community has embraced his family as he has embraced the community. O'Brien has a special needs child, and I would doubt he would uproot that for the tumult that is teh NYJ.

Nor, would he want to go against Belichick.

OBrien coming to the Jets is a pipedream

These are all reasons O'Brien will stay in PSU. None are reasons why the Jets job is weaker. Most coaches shoot for the pros. Only a few can actually do so successfully. Even the worst pro job is >>>>>>> the best college job. Why else do you think Spurrier and Saban took a chance with the Redskins and Dolphins? They were kings at their old jobs. They still wanted more.

I like Cowher, but how good is he really? They haven't skipped a beat with Tomlin.

They're just a finely tuned organization where I think any coach could come in and be successful.

Ill pass....I don't want to wait another 15 yrs for. A Superbowl ..

Bill Cowher has won double digit games and reached the playoffs with Neal O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomzcak and Tommy Maddox as his starting QBs.

No one should ever question how good a HC he is. Plus, he didn't wait 15 yrs to make the SB. He took the team to the SB in his 4th year as HC with the aforementioned O'Donnell as his QB. He finally won a championship when the franchise finally game him a decent QB.

These are all reasons O'Brien will stay in PSU. None are reasons why the Jets job is weaker. Most coaches shoot for the pros. Only a few can actually do so successfully. Even the worst pro job is >>>>>>> the best college job. Why else do you think Spurrier and Saban took a chance with the Redskins and Dolphins? They were kings at their old jobs. They still wanted more.

OBrien will coach some days in the pros. It will not be with the NYJ next year. He will have better offers.

OBrien would be better to stay at PSU next year, than go to the Jets.

OBrien will coach some days in the pros. It will not be with the NYJ next year. He will have better offers.

OBrien would be better to stay at PSU next year, than go to the Jets.

Again, these are valid reasons why he stays.

They are NOT valid reasons why PSU job > Jets job. You are wrong.

Bill Cowher has won double digit games and reached the playoffs with Neal O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomxcak and Tommy Maddox as his starting QBs.

No one should ever question how good a HC he is. Plus, he didn't wait 15 yrs to make the SB. He took the team to the SB in his 4th year as HC with the aforementioned O'Donnell as his QB. He finally won a championship when the franchise finally game him a decent QB.

He was a significantly different head coach without Dick Jauron.

He was a significantly different head coach without Dick Jauron.

First, you mean Dick LeBeau

Second, that's simply not true. Cowher had a winning record 5 of the 7 years without LeBeau and had had Stewart, Tomzcak, and Maddox as his QB at the time.

He threw his starters out there for the last two weeks and every single one of them quit. Second year in a row he's completely lost the locker room and he knows it. You can't bring a guy back when that happens in consecutive seasons.

Then again, we are the Jets.

Yeah, the Jets have become a laughing stock this year, despite the fact they didn't have one of the worst records in the league. The coach seems to have lost control of the team. The Tebow circus is a reflection on whoever acquired him, but it didn't help that Ryan seemingly went out of his way to avoid playing him. I think ownership needs to make a statement and replace both the GM and the head coach.

Sometimes things are so tangled up that you can't go on without a fresh start:

post-24836-0-67682800-1356916416_thumb.j

Would you rather him at PSU or Florham Park next year?

Personally-I would rather him at PSU. I know for a fact that he can handle that job and is in progress of getting PSU through the NCAA sanctions. If he can get another recruiting class next year, similar to the one that is committed now, the PSU is over the hump. I would like to see him at least see the job through that he started.

I also believe that this is a little bit of a negotiating ploy by O'Brien also, to give him leverage of getting out from under this contract stipulation-so that he may be free in subsequent years.

BTW-There are some in the know of the actual contract, that O'Brien would owe the entirety of his remaining contract-18.4 mill.

Again, my selfish agenda is to have O'Brien at PSU. The Jet are too much of a mess right now.

First, you mean Dick LeBeau

Second, that's simply not true. Cowher had a winning record 5 of the 7 years without LeBeau and had had Stewart, Tomzcak, and Maddox as his QB at the time.

My bad. I got the wrong Dick. Either way Cowher was a lot worse without him. 3 losing seasons, not 2 (98, 99 and 03) and no super bowls. Also, he never had a losing season in 9 seasons with LeBeau and the went to three super bowls. Ask any Steelers fan who was more important to their success.

My bad. I got the wrong Dick. Either way Cowher was a lot worse without him. 3 losing seasons, not 2 (98, 99 and 03) and no super bowls. Also, he never had a losing season in 9 seasons with LeBeau and the went to three super bowls. Ask any Steelers fan who was more important to their success.

I get what you're saying, but I think you're overstating LeBeau's impact a bit and discounting the fact that Cowher had horrible QBs when LeBeau was in Cincy.

And, it was 2 SBs with LeBeau and Cowher. ;)

I get what you're saying, but I think you're overstating LeBeau's impact a bit and discounting the fact that Cowher had horrible QBs when LeBeau was in Cincy.

And, it was 2 SBs with LeBeau and Cowher. ;)

I agree with you. I just think that even though Cowher wont screw up your team and he is an above average coach - he in not a guy I want to hand the keys to. He needs to be surrounded with good football people.

Bill Cowher has won double digit games and reached the playoffs with Neal O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomzcak and Tommy Maddox as his starting QBs.

No one should ever question how good a HC he is. Plus, he didn't wait 15 yrs to make the SB. He took the team to the stsSB in his 4th year as HC with the aforementioned O'Donnell as his QB. He finally won a championship when the franchise finally game him a decent QB.

So they just happened to hit another home run with Tomlin, and hired another HOF coach? Maybe, but I doubt it. It's just a front office that does everything right.

Wouldn't mind O'Brien, but that buyout is huge. Is someone really going to pay 9 mil, then give him a 3+mil a yr contract?

Yes. If its the right situation for him.

I just dont think there is a team that will have an opening that is close enough to being competitive for him to jump ship now.

Only 2 I would think he would consider is Chicago and Philly. No way he comes over to the jets and this mess.

Rex has had 1 losing season out of 4! 2 afc championship games. and the one losing season he had was this year and he lost his best Defensive guy and his best offensive guy. and the team was just sh*t! and everyone wants him gone? it just agravates the piss out of me to hear this crap. if they did then next season when were loosing all of you that wanted rex gone will be saying, all woody does is listen to moron fans and will prolly hire a new head coach next year! ugh! and I thought my wife complained!!

Rex has had 1 losing season out of 4! 2 afc championship games. and the one losing season he had was this year and he lost his best Defensive guy and his best offensive guy. and the team was just sh*t! and everyone wants him gone? it just agravates the piss out of me to hear this crap. if they did then next season when were loosing all of you that wanted rex gone will be saying, all woody does is listen to moron fans and will prolly hire a new head coach next year! ugh! and I thought my wife complained!!

This team has been awful for 2 seasons. Rex does not have what it takes to be a successful head coach in the NFL at this time.

But youre lucky. Woody agrees with you and is keeping him for another year at least.

Archived