Report: GM Mike Tannenbaum FIRED (MERGED)

gangreenman

New York Jets@nyjets

Woody Johnson announced this morning that GM Mike Tannenbaum will not return to Jets in 2013.

Expand Collapse

Needed to happen. Good for him. Now Terry Bradway and the rest of the FO are all in limbo until a new GM decides what to do with them, same with Rex.

Given that we are firing Sparano regardless and Pettine's contract is expiring, might be the best time to fire Rex. Otherwise Woody will have to eat the new assistant's contracts next year.

Ideally Rex accepts a DC position if we can bring in a respectable HC (Reid?) and a competent OC

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The following statement is from Jets owner Woody Johnson:

Our 2012 season was a disappointment to all of us. My goal every year as owner is to build a team that wins consistently. This year, we failed to achieve that goal.

This morning, I informed Mike Tannenbaum that he will not return for the 2013 season. Mike devoted 15 years of service to the Jets, and I want to thank him for his hard work and dedication. Although he helped guide us to two consecutive AFC Championship games, we are not where we want to be, and a new General Manager will be critical to getting this team back on the right track.

Starting immediately, we will conduct a search for a new General Manager. I’ve consulted with a number of football executives and I have also engaged the services of Korn/Ferry International, the same search firm that conducted the NFL Commissioner search in 2006. Our process with Korn/Ferry will be led by Jed Hughes, who heads their sports practice and who previously led the General Manager search for the Seattle Seahawks, among others. When we have updates on this process, we will provide them to our fans and the media.

Rex Ryan will remain the Head Coach of our football team. I believe that he has the passion, the talent, and the drive to successfully lead our team.

Like all Jets fans, I am disappointed with this year’s results. However, I am confident that this change will best position our team for greater success going forward.

Needed to happen. Good for him. Now Terry Bradway and the rest of the FO are all in limbo until a new GM decides what to do with them, same with Rex.

Given that we are firing Sparano regardless and Pettine's contract is expiring, might be the best time to fire Rex. Otherwise Woody will have to eat the new assistant's contracts next year.

Ideally Rex accepts a DC position if we can bring in a respectable HC (Reid?) and a competent OC

Oh no. keeping REx as a DC is not ideal. It is like having a ghost around. It would split the team. When you clean house, clean house.

Rex Ryan will remain the Head Coach of our football team. I believe that he has the passion, the talent, and the drive to successfully lead our team.

I do like Rex, but I think it's a massive mistake to guarantee him the job before a new GM is put in place.

If a new GM convinces Woody he is the man for the job, Woody could let Rex go. Rex will get his money. And people would understand who it was that insisted upon it. Woody has an out. Thing is, Woody is a tool. How can he not think Rex bears a heap of responsibility for this? Rex is the guy who got an orgasm watching Sanchez throw to uncovered recievers, and order their dinners in a restaurant. Rex is the guy who played Sanchez beyond suckdom, when he knew Sanchez had zero football instincts and less confidence. Rex is the guy who has been embarassing this organization in these press conferences, blubbering out foolish answers and spewing lies. Woody has to see this. No? Ah, but Woody is a tool....

Statement from New York Jets Chairman & CEO Woody Johnson

Our 2012 season was a disappointment to all of us. My goal every year as owner is to build a team that wins consistently. This year, we failed to achieve that goal.

This morning, I informed Mike Tannenbaum that he will not return for the 2013 season. Mike devoted 15 years of service to the Jets, and I want to thank him for his hard work and dedication. Although he helped guide us to two consecutive AFC Championship games, we are not where we want to be, and a new General Manager will be critical to getting this team back on the right track.

Starting immediately, we will conduct a search for a new General Manager. I've consulted with a number of football executives and I have also engaged the services of Korn/Ferry International, the same search firm that conducted the NFL Commissioner search in 2006. Our process with Korn/Ferry will be led by Jed Hughes, who heads their sports practice and who previously led the General Manager search for the Seattle Seahawks, among others. When we have updates on this process, we will provide them to our fans and the media.

Like all Jets fans, I am disappointed with this year’s results. However, I am confident that this change will best position our team for greater success going forward.

Just wait until they name Bradway the interim GM while Mike goes back to contracts. Im not kidding either. The Jets dont let guys go they just shuffle the chairs on the Titanic

See, I've told you this before, but people never know when you're joking because of how serious you always are. Just look already, several people actually arguing that this won't happen.

Starting immediately, we will conduct a search for a new General Manager. I've consulted with a number of football executives and I have also engaged the services of Korn/Ferry International, the same search firm that conducted the NFL Commissioner search in 2006. Our process with Korn/Ferry will be led by Jed Hughes, who heads their sports practice and who previously led the General Manager search for the Seattle Seahawks, among others. When we have updates on this process, we will provide them to our fans and the media.

If the new GM cannot pick his own HC then this franchise is clueless. It is also going to limit his list of candidates for the GM position.

Statement from Jets Chairman & CEO Woody Johnson:Our 2012 season was a disappointment to all of us. My goal every year as owner is to build a team that wins consistently. This year, we failed to achieve that goal.

Rex Ryan will remain the Head Coach of our football team. I believe that he has the passion, the talent, and the drive to successfully lead our team. Like all Jets fans, I am disappointed with this year’s results. However, I am confident that this change will best position our team for greater success going forward.

If the new GM cannot pick his own HC then this franchise is clueless. It is also going to limit his list of candidates for the GM position.

It will limit the position to either a GM who is totally green, or one who has been castrated so much, that he has no other choices.

Ladies and gentlemen, your new GM, Tom Heckert.

Sounds like we are one season away from the old "you played like a bunch of horses asses" speech. Can't wait.

On a competent franchise, he would have been out with Mangini.

Btw, a big FU shout-out to all you dicks who've defended Tannenbaum for the last seven years. You're clueless dicks.

I agree Tannenbaum should be gone - but Rex should be helping him pack. Just another idiotic move by Woody Hess.

Man, all the good GMs will be knocking down Woody's door for this sweet job.

agree which is why I think they agreed in Principal already with someone (Marc Ross).

the fact they changed course and didnt keep Tanny as Cap Guy tells me the folks Woody talked to last week said they wouldnt come if Tanny still here.

Plus, Ross pulled his name from panthers search 2 days ago after he was #1 choice and contract was already being negotiated. odd timing?? Hope so :)

Archived