Rex Might not be safe...stay tooned ;-

Favorite_Toon

If you take it at face value, the fact Rex Ryan isn’t talking today might mean nothing.

But with the Jets, seldom does anything mean nothing.

Ryan, who the owner has already said he would retain after the firing of general manager Mike Tannenbaum, had been scheduled to meet with the media at 4:45 p.m.

The team’s PR staff just passed along word that press conference was postponed because of an “organizational decision.”

Does that mean Rex isn’t as safe as we thought an hour or so ago when the owner said he was? Does that mean there’s a secret plot afoot? What do the unnamed sources have to say? How does Tim Tebow factor into all of this?

If the Jets did not exist, we would simply have to invent them.

Stay tuned.

If you take it at face value, the fact Rex Ryan isn’t talking today might mean nothing.

But with the Jets, seldom does anything mean nothing.

Ryan, who the owner has already said he would retain after the firing of general manager Mike Tannenbaum, had been scheduled to meet with the media at 4:45 p.m.

The team’s PR staff just passed along word that press conference was postponed because of an “organizational decision.”

Does that mean Rex isn’t as safe as we thought an hour or so ago when the owner said he was? Does that mean there’s a secret plot afoot? What do the unnamed sources have to say? How does Tim Tebow factor into all of this?

If the Jets did not exist, we would simply have to invent them.

Stay tuned.

It means Sparano is being fired.

A firing that will occur before Rex is permitted by ownership to speak to the media.

Also an outsid epossabillity that a new GM is hired immediately, also possibly before Rex is allowed to speak to the media.

It means Sparano is being fired.

A firing that will occur before Rex is permitted by ownership to speak to the media.

Also an outsid epossabillity that a new GM is hired immediately, also possibly before Rex is allowed to speak to the media.

So you are saying there is a possibility a GM will be named today? Really, with this?

There are plenty of possible reasons for the delay in the presser, but I would be seriously surprised if Rex is fired today. I think there's a chance he could end up getting canned, but even if so, I highly doubt it would happen before a new GM is hired. With the possible exception of Sparano, I think everyone in the front office and coaching staff will be kept in place for the time being, to give the new GM an opportunity to evaluate them and see who, if anyone, he'd like to keep. No reason not to at least give him that option, even if he ultimately decides to send everyone packing.

How do you know?

Doubt Ryan is gone. Johnson's statement says he will be back.

Statement from Jets Chairman & CEO Woody Johnson:

Our 2012 season was a disappointment to all of us. My goal every year as owner is to build a team that wins consistently. This year, we failed to achieve that goal.

This morning, I informed Mike Tannenbaum that he will not return for the 2013 season. Mike devoted 15 years of service to the Jets, and I want to thank him for his hard work and dedication. Although he helped guide us to two consecutive AFC Championship games, we are not where we want to be, and a new General Manager will be critical to getting this team back on the right track.

Starting immediately, we will conduct a search for a new General Manager. I've consulted with a number of football executives and I have also engaged the services of Korn/Ferry International, the same search firm that conducted the NFL Commissioner search in 2006. Our process with Korn/Ferry will be led by Jed Hughes, who heads their sports practice and who previously led the General Manager search for the Seattle Seahawks, among others. When we have updates on this process, we will provide them to our fans and the media.

Rex Ryan will remain the Head Coach of our football team. I believe that he has the passion, the talent, and the drive to successfully lead our team.

Like all Jets fans, I am disappointed with this year’s results. However, I am confident that this change will best position our team for greater success going forward.

Nothing more than a head-fake...

If that happens it means a potential HIGH profile GM we didnt expect to get said YES at last second. Polian may be only guy with those chops to make Woody can Rex.

But I doubt it. Rex stays and Woody tries for DeCosta/Ross.

Archived