New York Jets' worst move of 2012? Not firing Rex Ryan

jgb

Tebow and McElroy were the only guys behind Sanchez.

On the whole, if you started either of those guys 15 games, I suspect that they both would have had a (slightly) better stat-line. But not enough to make a difference.

I think it's less about blindly supporting Sanchez, and more about supporting your guy when the options behind him aren't noticeably better. Your guy is always going to get the benefit of the doubt there. It's not as if they had Colin K or Matt Flynn waiting on the bench.

He has to get better, but he's still young (in coach years), so I suspect that he will. Dude is a competitor. When you look at his track record thusfar and consider his youth/inexperience, as well as the crap play he got out of the most important position in the league... it's tough not to see the potential for greatness in him.

What I would do is get myself a guy like Norv Turner, make him the assistant coach/offensive coordinator and have him help Rex with the offense. The two of them would work great together.

It also comes back to philosophy. Ryan really believes he can win games 13-10 and never dare throw a pass more than 15 yards, nor pass more than 15 times a game. The rules beg you to pass. Look at it this way; even a total homer like Greg Buttle is now saying you have to pass the ball effectively to score. Now I wouldn't craft what I or anyone or the New York Jets do based on the ramblings of Greg Buttle. But he is hired by the Jets and he has never before so openly questioned a coach's MO like this.

SImply ask why Norv Turner nor any potential OC will come running to join this funhouse under Rex Ryan. Ryan will say all the right things, but at some point he'll again starting babbling about ground and pound. . You cannot change as even you concede that Sanchez is done.

Also look at the 2 most obvious OC guys-Turner and Whisenhut. These are squared away serious people. They probably on a persoanl level do not want to be party to this lack of discipline. And given Ryan is a lame duck whya re they coming to NY for 1 year? The Jets by retaining Ryan are wasting a year and delaying his inevitable firing.

He has to get better This statement is an assumption utterly unsupported by facts. In fact Rex Ryan in the last 2 seasons has regressed in very way possible.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Telling Tebow to get fat, then not knowing how to use him in a non-QB role, and furthermore not letting him at least get 1 start when we had no QB options was more of a mistake than acquiring him.

This too ... Tebow has put on and will be taking off so much weight - he'll think he's a wrestler

It also comes back to philosophy. Ryan really believes he can win games 13-10 and never dare throw a pass more than 15 yards, nor pass more than 15 times a game. The rules beg you to pass. Look at it this way; even a total homer like Greg Buttle is now saying you have to pass the ball effectively to score. Now I wouldn't craft what I or anyone or the New York Jets do based on the ramblings of Greg Buttle. But he is hired by the Jets and he has never before so openly questioned a coach's MO like this.

SImply ask why Norv Turner nor any potential OC will come running to join this funhouse under Rex Ryan. Ryan will say all the right things, but at some point he'll again starting babbling about ground and pound. . You cannot change as even you concede that Sanchez is done.

Also look at the 2 most obvious OC guys-Turner and Whisenhut. These are squared away serious people. They probably on a persoanl level do not want to be party to this lack of discipline. And given Ryan is a lame duck whya re they coming to NY for 1 year? The Jets by retaining Ryan are wasting a year and delaying his inevitable firing.

He has to get better This statement is an assumption utterly unsupported by facts. In fact Rex Ryan in the last 2 seasons has regressed in very way possible.

This what I fear the most with keeping Rex...doubt he can convince a good coordinator to take the job...have to think the new GM either demands Rex gone or is willing to wait a year to hire the right HC.

Telling Tebow to get fat, then not knowing how to use him in a non-QB role, and furthermore not letting him at least get 1 start when we had no QB options was more of a mistake than acquiring him.

Completely disagree...He did his best work in non-QB roles (particularly STs), he didn't get fat (what?), and could not possibly care less about him not getitng a start. He's not a starting QB.

OTOH, you're probably right that acquiring him isn't that big a deal.

Worst move of 2012 is a years old mistake...not landing a pass rushing OLB and having to go with Thomas/McIntyre as the other LB when Calvin Pace should be in that role with a better talent ahead/across from him.

The run and shoot used to give people fits, too.

Rex and Rob run roughly the same defense. Perhaps the Cowboys run some things to take advantage of Demarcus War, the jets lean a lot on singling Revis and Cro. But it's still all a variation of the their Dad's 4-6 defense. And since 2010 people have figured it out. There is no Plan B for either and it shows. Both defenses look pretty good on paper, and the Jets are certainly hamstrung by a 3 and out offense. But neither Ryan defense shuts anyone down any more nor gets big stops late in games. SO arguably when you look at the supposed reason Ryan is a head coach, defense, it's no longer valid. The last 2 weeks against teams KNOWING their HCs were done pretty much mandhandled the defense.

yup. i don't see how we aren't stuck with sparano or a nobody at OC next year, regardless of who comes in at GM

you are a very underrated poster

Completely disagree...He did his best work in non-QB roles (particularly STs), he didn't get fat (what?), and could not possibly care less about him not getitng a start. He's not a starting QB.

OTOH, you're probably right that acquiring him isn't that big a deal.

Worst move of 2012 is a years old mistake...not landing a pass rushing OLB and having to go with Thomas/McIntyre as the other LB when Calvin Pace should be in that role with a better talent ahead/across from him.

Tebow had absolutely no impact on the outcome of any games.

Sanchez single-handedly lost multiple games with his turnovers this year, and was guaranteed extra years and millions of dollars.

Extending Sanchez was the worst move of 2012. Which is why Tanny got canned.

That said, asking Tebow to gain weight (which they did do) and not using Tebow when it became clear that Sanchez's numbers were worse than those of Tebow, was just stupid. It was a wasted opportunity. We go into next year without even having Tebow as something we could get a 4th rounder for. He has no value, because the league knows we don't want him. Being out of playoff contention, you start the guy and leak it that you are having an open QB competition next year. Tebow = trade value.

Whatever... this season was a ****ing mess. I just want to see who they hire for GM. I hope someone that face-punches Woody and makes this a football organization, and they stop being to the Daily News what the Kardashians are to TMZ.... a never-ending supply of trashy crotch shots.

To all those that want Rex fired:

I'm just as disappointed as you in the way things have turned out the past two years.

I know the NFL is a 'what have you done for me lately?' league. But let's not be too short sighted: Rex was at the helm during the two consecutive deep playoff runs.

Back then many of us praised Rex and Tanny for bringing the Jets back to being a winning team.

That doesn't just happen with a crappy head coach and GM.

The thing I don't get: Is it common for the head coach to concentrate on one side of the ball? In Rex's case, he has shown to be a great defensive mind. But Rex has shown me nothing in terms of learning how to run an NFL offense. Isn't a head coach supposed to be in charge of both offense and defense? If I had to fault Rex, it's that he seems to be happy delegating the offense to others.

I think Rex has earned one more season to show us he's worthy of being head coach. Of course I want the Jets to win more than anything. If the new GM brings in a new coaching staff, then so be it.

If Adam Schein is correct that it was Rex who pushed Tanny to give Sanchez the extension after the Manning flirtation, than this is really a staggering decision by Woody.

Schein is saying many of the things I have been speculating for years, that the majority of the personnel moves are coming from Rex, not Tanny.

Remember, Parcells instilled in this franchise the idea that the HC has to pick the groceries, if he is going to cook the meals.

This all makes sense, there was such a fundamental shift in the personnel decisions from Mangini to Rex, that Tanny must have been listening to Rex.

You really have to ask how in the hell Rex still has a job at this point, you really do.

I get Tanny being relieved, if Woody no longer wants to let the HC pick the groceries, I get it, but this is such an inditement on Rex, that he should have been removed at the same time.

Very distrubing that not only is Rex not fired, he is being forced upon any GM candidate, narrowing the pool.

We are Fkd Jet fans, absolutely Fkd, our owner is a raving moron, our HC is an absolute joke on every level.

This will get much worse before it gets better, if it ever does.

If Adam Schein is correct that it was Rex who pushed Tanny to give Sanchez the extension after the Manning flirtation, than this is really a staggering decision by Woody.

Schein is saying many of the things I have been speculating for years, that the majority of the personnel moves are coming from Rex, not Tanny.

Remember, Parcells instilled in this franchise the idea that the HC has to pick the groceries, if he is going to cook the meals.

This all makes sense, there was such a fundamental shift in the personnel decisions from Mangini to Rex, that Tanny must have been listening to Rex.

You really have to ask how in the hell Rex still has a job at this point, you really do.

I get Tanny being relieved, if Woody no longer wants to let the HC pick the groceries, I get it, but this is such an inditement on Rex, that he should have been removed at the same time.

Very distrubing that not only is Rex not fired, he is being forced upon any GM candidate, narrowing the pool.

We are Fkd Jet fans, absolutely Fkd, our owner is a raving moron, our HC is an absolute joke on every level.

This will get much worse before it gets better, if it ever does.

i agree with many things in this article but have to take with a grain of salt. tanny himself bragged on hard knocks about it being his idea to get santonio and rex was on record for not wanting stephen hill with our #2.

In Addition Trade Cro and Revis for 2014 picks, Cut harris Scott, Holmes and anyone else eating cap.

2013 draft blows, trade down #9 and go for 2014 picks if possible. same with rd 2. get your QB in 2014 and be competitive in 2015 with a real team.

This article is spot on.

Yes it is with the exception of the implication that Tebow is any good. Everyone forgets Tebow's horrific play down the stretch last season instead writing he "led" Denver to the play-offs. Denver got in because all the other wildcard hopefuls crapped the bed.

Keeping Rex is a horrile mistake IMO. Hope I am wrong.

If Adam Schein is correct that it was Rex who pushed Tanny to give Sanchez the extension after the Manning flirtation, than this is really a staggering decision by Woody

It's bunk. This is Tannenbaum dragging Schein into a Starbucks looking to push the blame for everything bad that ever happened on his watch onto Rex. He did the same thing with Gholston after Mangini was fired. The guy is a professional cockroach.

No denying that getting to the AFCCG twice with bad QB play was impressive, but he's also the one who never even tried to fix the position. It's myopia, and judging by Sanchez's exit interview, it sounds like Rex hasn't figured out that botching the offense was his problem to solve. In short, Rex is out of his mind.

Agree. 2009 BTW was a miracle and 2010 was largely due to the prior regimes roster. Rex slowly destroyed the team in 2011 and 2012.

How is it garbage? Schein is either offering facts told to him by Rex directly or citing public knowledge. Tanny deserves to be s-canned for the Sanchez extension alone - but I think the article is dead nuts on.

He didn't even mention THE TERMINATOR - who will likely be delivering your UPS Christmas packages next year. Horrible situation to try and land a quality GM when he knows he's stuck with an emotional blowhard for HC. Despite the guys skills as a DC.

This is like throwing red meat to poor JETS fans wo at this point will lap anything up. At the end of the day not firing Rex was not the New York JETS worst move of last season.

I should have been a sports writer. You can write any tripe and there are some people who will still bite.

Agree. 2009 BTW was a miracle and 2010 was largely due to the prior regimes roster. Rex slowly destroyed the team in 2011 and 2012.

Lulz - Sanchez, LT, Greene, Edwards, Holmes, Slauson, Scott, Leonhard, Cro, Taylor, Pool, Pryce, etc.

To all those that want Rex fired:

I'm just as disappointed as you in the way things have turned out the past two years.

I know the NFL is a 'what have you done for me lately?' league. But let's not be too short sighted: Rex was at the helm during the two consecutive deep playoff runs.

Back then many of us praised Rex and Tanny for bringing the Jets back to being a winning team.

That doesn't just happen with a crappy head coach and GM.

The thing I don't get: Is it common for the head coach to concentrate on one side of the ball? In Rex's case, he has shown to be a great defensive mind. But Rex has shown me nothing in terms of learning how to run an NFL offense. Isn't a head coach supposed to be in charge of both offense and defense? If I had to fault Rex, it's that he seems to be happy delegating the offense to others.

I think Rex has earned one more season to show us he's worthy of being head coach. Of course I want the Jets to win more than anything. If the new GM brings in a new coaching staff, then so be it.

Rex is a great defensive mind. He's an awful head coach. He has very few good qualities at this time for being a head coach. he is lost in the position. its not just about him concentrating on defense and ignoring the offense. Its so much more than that.

And about our deep playoff runs... those teams were never very good teams. we were lucky to get as far as we did. People seem to forget how those teams really were. they are so blinded by the playoff "success" that they fail to realize the seeds of failure were planted in those first 2 years. What they do tell me is if Rex can ever learn how to be a head coach and have control over his entire team, he is going to be a successful one. But, that's not going to happen with the jets sadly.

2011 was a bad year. This year was his year to show everyone he knew what it took to be a good head coach in this league. He failed miserably. He already had his chance and blew it. There was nothing from this year that gives me any confidence that he can be the leader of the jets for years to come. in fact, it just solidified for me that he isnt good enough to bring home the hardware. And for me, that means its time to go.

This is like throwing red meat to poor JETS fans wo at this point will lap anything up. At the end of the day not firing Rex was not the New York JETS worst move of last season.

I should have been a sports writer. You can write any tripe and there are some people who will still bite.

Its very easy being a sports writer in NY when there is controversy. the past 6 months have been the best for writers.

Rex is a great defensive mind. He's an awful head coach. He has very few good qualities at this time for being a head coach. he is lost in the position. its not just about him concentrating on defense and ignoring the offense. Its so much more than that.

And about our deep playoff runs... those teams were never very good teams. we were lucky to get as far as we did. People seem to forget how those teams really were. they are so blinded by the playoff "success" that they fail to realize the seeds of failure were planted in those first 2 years. What they do tell me is if Rex can ever learn how to be a head coach and have control over his entire team, he is going to be a successful one. But, that's not going to happen with the jets sadly.

2011 was a bad year. This year was his year to show everyone he knew what it took to be a good head coach in this league. He failed miserably. He already had his chance and blew it. There was nothing from this year that gives me any confidence that he can be the leader of the jets for years to come. in fact, it just solidified for me that he isnt good enough to bring home the hardware. And for me, that means its time to go.

Ya mon, really the best thing that should have happened in 2009. colts should have gone for winning streak and play manning instead of painter. The playoffs run was courtesy of draw playing

overrated Bungles and then Norv. 2010 was really only good yr, sanchez improved and hit ceiling. the rest is history

Rexey didnt win a SB with Ravens either, he followed marvin lewis and Mike Nolan. Robby and Revey 2 of most overrated DC'sin history of NFL

Not at all, but this common opinion that Mangini filled some star studded roster that only a fool couldnt win with and Rex ruined it is idiotic.

Mangini didn't bring in stars... I don't agree with the assertion that Rex inherited gold from Mangini. I do content that Rex inherited veterans that compensated for Rex's inability to own the whole locker room so Rex's sole job was motivation and scheming the D. When the stalwart vets all moved on, it became up to Rex to own the locker room OR find new vets who could do it... and he (and Tanny) failed at both.

Tony Richardson, Thomas Jones, Woody, Jenkins, Cotchery, etc. were all much better for the team's obviously infantile psyche than Plaxico, Santonio, and Sanchez when they were thrust into "leadership" positions.

Many here argue that none of this matters and they should "just play football" but we see time and again that chemistry is often the lynch pin for a team that wins and a team that squanders the season. Rex's teams haven't had chemistry for 2 years running... and it coincides with all the veterans being jettisoned and no steps being taken to replace their leadership.

That is on both Rex and Tanny. Since all the turds in the locker room seem to be Rex's man-crushes.

Good points.

I recall during the 2009 and 2010 seasons, thinking the Jets were winning games but not in a dominating way. They were squeaking by with several 4th Qtr or OT comebacks. Even then the jets were not good enough to unseat the Pats in the division. On these boards, anyone bringing up these facts were poo-poo'ed for being downers.

In retrospect, it's kind of sad to think that the win over the Pats in the playoffs may wind up being the pinnacle of the Rex Ryan era.

I am frankly astonished by how much support this guy gets. It just doesnt make sense. Rex is awful. Worse, is the way he left Tebow hang out to dry when the press reported Tebow refused to play wildcat. Rex could have said.......no Tebow did not say he would not play, he simply communicated his disappointment in being passed over, Any player would feel that way. But Rex continued to let that notion that Tebow refused to play wildcat stand as fact. I only assume to make sure that the press and the fans were talking about anyone else but him. So not only a bad HC but not a stand up guy. As Tebow said integrity is far more important than football and it at least appears Rex lacked integrity in this scenario.

Archived