New York Jets' worst move of 2012? Not firing Rex Ryan

jgb

For any consistent chance at domination at the div level, u simply have to wait out Brady's career. Many ppl recognize this. The goals were stated, the plan to get there is for the org.what I think is hardly relevant, altho I do have ideas.

Wait out Brady to win a Super Bowl? ...Ok, fair enough.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harbaugh is winning without a Peyton Manning. I believe Christian Ponder is still playing this week. 3 rookie QB's starting in the playoffs. And whose fault is it for their blind loyalty of Sanchez for 4 years if not the Head Coach? 4 years and not even a whiff of competition.

At one time, Rex was winning with/(despite) Sanchez. Similar to the examples you just provided.

Sanchez was/is a bust. Hated the pick, hate the player (except for that cute period of time during the offseason where we kept saying he'd make the probowl). However, that's the guy they traded up for to be the future, right or wrong - I do respect the fact they took the chance. Kellen Celemens was the starter going into the season.

The Jets won and had deep playoff runs with Sanchez. I dont blame them for giving Sanchez a chance to come around. He had very little experience in college. The extension was one of the worst contracts ever. No doubt. But to give up on Sanchez this year would be an insanely difficult thing to do, considering. I agree, not having adequate competition has Rex's biggest flaw. I've said this since it was obvious he was so loyal to him...but again, I dont see how the Jets could have moved on this year after no losing seasons, deep playoff runs, and the kid setting the record for most TD's in franchise history for a single season, even as bad as he was/is.

At one time, Rex was winning with/(despite) Sanchez. Similar to the examples you just provided.

Sanchez was/is a bust. Hated the pick, hate the player (except for that cute period of time during the offseason where we kept saying he'd make the probowl). However, that's the guy they traded up for to be the future, right or wrong - I do respect the fact they took the chance. Kellen Celemens was the starter going into the season.

The Jets won and had deep playoff runs with Sanchez. I dont blame them for giving Sanchez a chance to come around. He had very little experience in college. The extension was one of the worst contracts ever. No doubt. But to give up on Sanchez this year would be an insanely difficult thing to do, considering. I agree, not having adequate competition has Rex's biggest flaw. I've said this since it was obvious he was so loyal to him...but again, I dont see how the Jets could have moved on this year after no losing seasons, deep playoff runs, and the kid setting the record for most TD's in franchise history for a single season, even as bad as he was/is.

So all in all, Rex should be fired as a package with Tannenbaum.

Agree with this 100%. In hindsight. I loved the pick at the time. Still do, they gave up almost nothing to move up and did get some return on Sanchez. Reality now is, you keep Sanchez on roster and restructure his contract - he'll want that guaranteed money, so you have to give it to him - but maybe stretch him out 2-3 years and spread it out, or make it signing bonus, whatever you have to do. Sit him on the bench, and go get a veteran to play in front of Sanchez.

This is the problem. Wisenhut or Smith will be hired by the Bills, Reid by the Cardinals. the Eagles and Bears will probably make quick hires. So a lot of the coaching talent even under HC level, is going to be off the market. it's all fine and good to have a headhunter, but even owners without that are doing what they have to do while Woody Johnson has another meeting or 7 with his headhunter.The people left to pick through are going to be less optimal. Above all, what OC is going to come running to this mess?

who cares about the hiring? all we care about is the firing. every time a Jets coach gets fired, an angel gets it's wings.

So all in all, Rex should be fired as a package with Tannenbaum.

I like Rex and think he's talented and if he had a QB who didnt turn the ball over like its his job, we wouldnt be discussing firing him.

That said, I've always stood by the logic that if firing Rex rids us of Sanchez, then sign me up.

Agree with this 100%. In hindsight. I loved the pick at the time. Still do, they gave up almost nothing to move up and did get some return on Sanchez. Reality now is, you keep Sanchez on roster and restructure his contract - he'll want that guaranteed money, so you have to give it to him - but maybe stretch him out 2-3 years and spread it out, or make it signing bonus, whatever you have to do. Sit him on the bench, and go get a veteran to play in front of Sanchez.

At this point, I think you have to get him out of here, whatever means necessary. He's got a very dark cloud hanging over him that I dont think this team can get over if he's still on the roster.

Firing coaches never makes a franchise better.

The Patriots fired Pete Carroll, hired Bill Bellish*t. More recently... The 49ers fired Singletary, hired Harbaugh. Should I continue?

You should stick to hugging, friend zone.

I was taking a shot at bitonti, Ape.

I know, i just wanted to make a crack about you hugging. Loser face.

Denouncing 80 doesn't make the message board better.

I didn't denounce him. I called him by his new nickname... friend zone

this is getting kind of ridiculous. the best and worst moves of 2012 are literally everything the Jets did.

couldn't they focus on how the Giants collapsed again? is that not as much fun somehow?

Focusing on how the Giant collapsed ... is not going to make this a better thread

mangini was better than rex? that's just ridiculous and absurd.

the whole world is coming out after rex. i feel bad for him.

Rex is a DC, not a HC.

It's pretty easy to see this, and anyone who is not emotionally attached to Rex, for reasons I'll never understand, sees clearly how unqualified he is to be a HC in the NFL.

He is a very good defensive mind, but no way is even close to a good HC, and I doubt he ever can be.

Rex is a DC, not a HC.

It's pretty easy to see this, and anyone who is not emotionally attached to Rex, for reasons I'll never understand, sees clearly how unqualified he is to be a HC in the NFL.

He is a very good defensive mind, but no way is even close to a good HC, and I doubt he ever can be.

Mike McCarthy threw a challenge flag on a play that he wasn't allowed to challenge. it cost his team 15 yards in a close game. besides, it was embarrassing.

Is he also not head coaching material?

Mike McCarthy threw a challenge flag on a play that he wasn't allowed to challenge. it cost his team 15 yards in a close game. besides, it was embarrassing.

Over 7 seasons, Mike McCarthy has compiled a 74-38 regular season record, won 3 Division Championships, been to two NFC Championship Games, and has won a Super Bowl.

I'll give him a pass on one minor "brain fart".

Far cry from Rex Ryan.

Seriously?

You are going to use that?

McCarthy made an emotional mistake in the heat of the game.

He is a super bowl winning coach.

You want to compare that to the huge list of reasons why Rex has no business being an NFL coach?

Lets just throw a few out there, shall we?

Has McCarthy ever completely ignored one side of the ball, as the HC?

Has he ever lost control of the locker room?

Is he so bad at personnel decisions that he got the GM fired?

Has he stuck with the worst QB in the NFL no matter what?

This is just a few, there are many more.

Seriously?

You are going to use that?

McCarthy made an emotional mistake in the heat of the game.

He is a super bowl winning coach.

You want to compare that to the huge list of reasons why Rex has no business being an NFL coach?

Lets just throw a few out there, shall we?

Has McCarthy ever completely ignored one side of the ball, as the HC?

Has he ever lost control of the locker room?

Is he so bad at personnel decisions that he got the GM fired?

Has he stuck with the worst QB in the NFL no matter what?

This is just a few, there are many more.

it's all about the quarterback(s)....

It is, but Mccarthy came in and held some 6 week QB school. Rodgers attended, Favre didn't. He also had to deal with the entire Favre retire, not retire situation. He had to deal with the legend being 'forced' out and some young kid taking over the starting job. I'd say that's not an easy thing. Nobody in Green Bay wanted Rodgers. If Rodgers would have sucked, McCarthy would have been fired a long time ago, Rodgers would have been out of the NFL, and the GM would have been condemned.

So while it is about a QB, sometimes it's also about how good of a coach you are and how you handle situations. Nobody in their right mind would say the situation McCarthy came into was an easy one. He ran with it and won with it. Rex Ryan came into a situation where he seemed to want Sanchez, he wanted a ground and pound, he wanted to keep pushing Sanchez as Sanchize. He went on a reality tv show. He was arrogant. He was loud. He was obnoxious. It all was fun until everybody realized he was more a blowhard than an actual good head coach.

It is, but Mccarthy came in and held some 6 week QB school. Rodgers attended, Favre didn't. He also had to deal with the entire Favre retire, not retire situation. He had to deal with the legend being 'forced' out and some young kid taking over the starting job. I'd say that's not an easy thing. Nobody in Green Bay wanted Rodgers. If Rodgers would have sucked, McCarthy would have been fired a long time ago, Rodgers would have been out of the NFL, and the GM would have been condemned.

So while it is about a QB, sometimes it's also about how good of a coach you are and how you handle situations. Nobody in their right mind would say the situation McCarthy came into was an easy one. He ran with it and won with it. Rex Ryan came into a situation where he seemed to want Sanchez, he wanted a ground and pound, he wanted to keep pushing Sanchez as Sanchize. He went on a reality tv show. He was arrogant. He was loud. He was obnoxious. It all was fun until everybody realized he was more a blowhard than an actual good head coach.

he didnt win with it, rodgers won with it, and that entire stacked roster. it's the inverse of RR. The reaction i got is exactly predictable. I'm sure if you looked at it close u could nitpick his decisions as well.

bottomline, he gets a pass bc rodgers is awesome. and rex ryan gets nitpicked bc sanchez is garbage.

its all about the QB.

he didnt win with it, rodgers won with it, and that entire stacked roster. it's the inverse of RR. The reaction i got is exactly predictable. I'm sure if you looked at it close u could nitpick his decisions as well.

bottomline, he gets a pass bc rodgers is awesome. and rex ryan gets nitpicked bc sanchez is garbage.

its all about the QB.

The Packers went 13-3 his first year, with a "i'm interested, not interested don't show up to offseason training" Favre.

The Packers lost to the Giants in overtime in the NFC Championship game., McCarthy and the Packers make it to the super bowl. Do they beat the 18-0 Patriots? Who knows.

The Jets get Favre the next season and dont' even make the playoffs.

The Packers go 6-10 with Rodgers. Nobody was calling him a great QB.

Mike's 3rd season, they finished 11-5 and lost to Arizona 51-45 in a wildcard game.

Mike's 4th season, they went 10-6, won the super bowl.

Mikes 5th season, they went 15-1.

this year they are 11-5 and division winner.

You can say it's about the QB, but McCarthy dealt with the arrogant Favre and almost made it to the super bowl in his first season as a head coach. You can Say RR almost made it to the super bowl in his first two seasons. But McCarthy has had on losing season and finished 10-6 or better Five out of Six years. They finished with 13 or more wins twice. RR has had two 8-8 seasons(nobody should count that Colts game as a win), an 11-5, and a 6-10. And now it's a rebuild.

What sucks as a Jets fan is that the last two real seasons Favre played(Packers, Vikings) he made it to the NFC Championship game. As a Jet, he didn't even make the damn playoffs. It is about coaching.

mangini was better than rex? that's just ridiculous and absurd.

the whole world is coming out after rex. i feel bad for him.

You reap what you sow in this world.

He's nothing more than a mouthy bully, who got punched in the nose and exposed as a stuttering, tearful, pussy.

If he wasn't the head coach of this team for a period of time, you'd have zero sympathy for him.

What sucks as a Jets fan is that the last two real seasons Favre played(Packers, Vikings) he made it to the NFC Championship game. As a Jet, he didn't even make the damn playoffs. It is about coaching.

...and about not breaking your arm. but it figures that the one year he was on the Jets was the year he got injured badly enough for it to affect his throwing.

OK, if thats the case, then even more the reason Rex must go.

He picked Sanchez.

He developed Sanchez.

He agreed to an extension for Sanchez.

He stuck with Sanchez forever.

No matter how you play this game, Rex needs to go.

OK, if thats the case, then even more the reason Rex must go.

He picked Sanchez.

He developed Sanchez.

He agreed to an extension for Sanchez.

He stuck with Sanchez forever.

No matter how you play this game, Rex needs to go.

Rex had little or no say in at least 3 of these.

Rex had little or no say in at least 3 of these.

I'm not sure what your basing this opinion on?

It's been we'll documented that Sanchez was Rex's pick and that most of the organization wanted Freeman.

Rex is the HC, he decided to start Sanche as a rookie, oversaw everything football related for the Jets, I think you are way off base here

Come on man, I'm not even trying to defend Rex here, but when you spew nonsense like this you only hurt your own cause. You do realize the Jets were in first place in the AFC East, second in the conference and coming off a win over the previously undefeated Titans before Favre's injury, right? And that was in spite of coming off a 4-12 season, having Favre show up about 5 minutes before the start of the season and having that dipsh*t Mangini as the head coach. I'm not saying that coaching isn't important, it obviously is, but you can't simply dismiss the major impact the QB has, far greater than anything else. It's not that McCarthy isn't a good coach, but the guy has spent his entire coaching career with one of Favre or Rodgers as his starting QB. It would take a special level of incompetence to not get at least some kind of success out of that.

You reap what you sow in this world.

He's nothing more than a mouthy bully, who got punched in the nose and exposed as a stuttering, tearful, pussy.

If he wasn't the head coach of this team for a period of time, you'd have zero sympathy for him.

Which begs the question, why don't you like him more considering how much you two have in common?

Come on man, I'm not even trying to defend Rex here, but when you spew nonsense like this you only hurt your own cause. You do realize the Jets were in first place in the AFC East, second in the conference and coming off a win over the previously undefeated Titans before Favre's injury, right? And that was in spite of coming off a 4-12 season, having Favre show up about 5 minutes before the start of the season and having that dipsh*t Mangini as the head coach. I'm not saying that coaching isn't important, it obviously is, but you can't simply dismiss the major impact the QB has, far greater than anything else. It's not that McCarthy isn't a good coach, but the guy has spent his entire coaching career with one of Favre or Rodgers as his starting QB. It would take a special level of incompetence to not get at least some kind of success out of that.

Could you imagine what the Jets could accomplish over Rex's tenure with Aaron Rodgers at the helm?

What do you think the Jets record would be if McCarthy was their coach this year?

Which begs the question, why don't you like him more considering how much you two have in common?

Rex reminds me of mafia Ape, not me. My boasts and brags are meant to be transparent and self-deprecating in many ways, which is why I usually post and then encourage you guys to zing me. I get pissed when you tards waste good setups.

Archived