Ranking the NFL's QB's - Any of interest for the Jets?

Jetsfan80

Based on the last 3 years of regular season data (in average DVOA, which measures the QB's value per play) from Footballoutsiders.com, here are the QB rankings.

Among this list, who could the Jets realistically acquire as a veteran to take the job from Sanchez? And who would you want? I have bolded the ones I'd like to go after, assuming we'd have the financial capabilities.

NOTES:

1) Rookie/1-year QB's are not eligible for the list below. I have provided the rookie/1-year rankings underneath the veteran rankings.

2) Some QB's were eligible to be ranked but due to their failure to start any games in 2012 have been separated from the pack as well.

3) For our purposes, an "average" QB would earn a DVOA of 0.0 %. Above that is above average, below is below average.

4) Running QB's are hindered by this data, due to the fact that their rushing data is not factored in.

1. Tom Brady (39.1 %)

2. Aaron Rodgers (32.3)

3. Peyton Manning (25.9)

4. Drew Brees (23.8)

5. Ben Roethlisberger (19.2)

6. Tony Romo (18.5)

7. Matt Ryan (17.9)

8. Matt Schaub (14.7)

9. Michael Vick (13.2)

10. Phillip Rivers (12.5)

11. Eli Manning (10.2)

12. Alex Smith (10.1)

13. Matthew Stafford (9.9)

14. Carson Palmer (4.0)

15. Joe Flacco (3.6)

16. Kyle Orton (2.1)

17. Cam Newton (1.4)

18. Andy Dalton (-0.1)

19. Josh Freeman (-2.6)

20. Ryan Fitzpatrick (-5.9)

21. Jay Cutler (-8.5)

22. Chad Henne (-8.8)

23. Colt McCoy (-8.9)

24. Matt Hasselbeck (-9.2)

25. Matt Moore (-11.0)

26. Tim Tebow (-11.1)

27. Jason Campbell (-13.5)

28. Sam Bradford (-13.7)

29. Mark Sanchez (-15.6)

30. Matt Cassel (-16.0)

31. Kevin Kolb (-17.3)

32. Christian Ponder (-18.8)

33. Blaine Gabbert (-33.9)

34. John Skelton (-38.6)

ROOKIES / FIRST-YEAR STARTERS

1. Colin Kaepernick (25.7)

2. Russell Wilson (19.2)

3. Robert Griffin III (16.7)

4. Andrew Luck (-5.2)

5. Ryan Tannehill (-10.0)

6. Brandon Weeden (-19.4)

7. Nick Foles (-20.4)

8. Jake Locker (-23.7)

9. Ryan Lindley (-55.8)

COULD NOT BE RANKED, DID NOT START IN 2012

Matt Flynn (16.9)

Rex Grossman (-8.7)

Kellen Clemens (-12.0)

Seneca Wallace (-13.6)

T.J. Yates (-19.7)

Rivers and Palmer? Seriously?

Yes, seriously. With no sure bets in the draft this year, making a play for a quality veteran is a must. Rivers and Palmer are probably pipe dreams (Rivers especially) to get at this point but they're not out of the question if our GM is saavy. The Chargers are bringing in a new regime, and who knows if Rivers is part of their future plans?

While Rivers would obviously be a massive upgrade, he'd scare me a little as you'd obviously be making a long-term commitment to him in the process, and I'm just not sure he has what it takes to be the answer. He's probably the poutiest little bitch of a QB in the league not named Sanchez. Can't say I'd be unhappy with the move, but would probably be a little uneasy about it is all. Would be happy with any of the others you bolded as the hold the fort types, but would still want the Jets to be pursuing options in the draft at the same time. There's a couple of other guys I wouldn't bother giving anything up for but would be ok with the Jets looking at if they were to be cut (e.g., Fitzy).

While Rivers would obviously be a massive upgrade, he'd scare me a little as you'd obviously be making a long-term commitment to him in the process, and I'm just not sure he has what it takes to be the answer.

It's kind of a "strike while the iron is hot" situation in my mind. Even given his lousy season he's still coming up as a Top 10 QB in the rankings, which says something. But, the Chargers can't exactly demand two 1st rounders for him, either, and I imagine Rivers has lost some of his ability to earn franchise QB dollars on the open market.

And after 4 seasons of Sanchez, Rivers would of course be a massive upgrade, the likes of which we haven't seen before on this team. Rivers would automatically be the 3rd best QB in franchise history behind Namath and the first 11 games of Favre's 2008 season. More sad than anything I suppose.

It's kind of a "strike while the iron is hot" situation in my mind. Even given his lousy season he's still coming up as a Top 10 QB in the rankings, which says something. But, the Chargers can't exactly demand two 1st rounders for him, either, and I imagine Rivers has lost some of his ability to earn franchise QB dollars on the open market.

And after 4 seasons of Sanchez, Rivers would of course be a massive upgrade, the likes of which we haven't seen before on this team. Rivers would automatically be the 3rd best QB in franchise history behind Namath and the first 11 games of Favre's 2008 season. More sad than anything I suppose.

Well I guess that's the ultimate question, the cost. While I hear what you're saying, the truth is he's still a QB and a guy who has proven to have some legit ability at the position in the NFL. Even under the circumstances, I can't imagine the cost getting all that low, be it for the trade or the subsequent contract he'd surely be looking for. Is there any reason to really believe his price tag would be any lower than what the Broncos got for Cutler? Hell, the Bengals got a 1st and conditional 2nd for Carson freakin' Palmer in the middle of the season last year.

Bring in a guy like Flynn and start bringing in pieces on offense to prepare for the next guy at QB.

There just isnt any talent on offense. Kerley they actually scouted the hell out of...too many times they don't do their homework when it comes to picks. Steve Hill for example....

Ponder being terrible. His number is really awful. I know he's played well since he married that hottie but it just goes to show how valuable AP was.

hmm...a good ground game and decent offensive line....sure does go a long way huh?

95% of those guys are better than Sanchez, maybe more. Find one who will take a one year contract for reasonable money--maybe a two year no guarantee on the second year. Or maybe a 5 year spread out with a small guarantee. Point is, if they cannot redo Sancho's deal they probably cannot even do this.

really??

I know we had a trade agreed to when Brees/Rivers were in SD, but when Brees injured, SD backed out and kept Rivers.

Total rumor but Jets website person out in California reported it from there

I don't see Rivers being traded.

A new regime comes in and trades Rivers in a year where there aren't any stud QBs in the draft? Nobody good would ever do that.

He's a turnover machine now, but there are still games where he'll throw 4TDs. He was selected as pro bowl QB in 2011.

Like the guy or not, it's just not feasible for any new regime to come in, gut a team, dump the starting QB, and have no future QB to replace the guy. Especially considering he's been a pro bowl QB in the NFL and people still believe he can go back to being that pro bowl QB again. Dumping him for a 4th round pick and not having a new first round Stud QB to take over, That's asking to be fired after a couple of seasons.

Archived