Top GM Candidate Gamble May Want Tomsula as Coach

JetNation

Successfully run programs run for two years and don't win the SB in that time (unless the 49ers win it this year).

Rex once ran a successful program by such standards.

Successful GMs serve for three seasons as "pro scouting coordinators" for the Steelers and are defined primarily by how little anyone has heard of them.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Successful GMs serve for three seasons as "pro scouting coordinators" for the Steelers and are defined primarily by how little anyone has heard of them.

Steelers > 49ers

Hunt’s professional career began as a graduate assistant at IUP in 2004, and after a year there he was hired by the Steelers to work in their player personnel department, headed by Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert.

During his first stint with the Steelers during the 2005 and 2006 NFL seasons, Hunt assisted with both the college and pro scouting, and he was on board when the team won Super Bowl XL to give the franchise its fifth Lombardi Trophy.

When his internship concluded in the spring of 2007, Hunt quickly was hired by the Houston Texans. He started there in June 2007 and served as a pro scout for the team until being hired by the Steelers as their new Pro Scouting Coordinator.

At IUP, Hunt was a four-year starter at guard and center at IUP from 2000-03. He captained the team as a senior and earned first-team All-PSAC and All-Region honors at guard. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in management information systems in December 2003 and a Master of Business Administration degree in August 2006.

So he was with the Steelers and in the Texans FO as a scout for the years they added Duane Brown, Brian Cushing, Caldwell, Barwin, Slaton (who was good until injured), Foster, Casey, signed Antonio Smith, etc...I thought we were all about up and coming personel guys? Or was my position already firmly established and therefore inflexible? Why wouldn't the Jets want to model their organization like the Steelers beyond their less than Hansel 2012?

San Diego hired Ron Wolf to counsel them in their transition to a new administration. Aren't they aware that there are executive search firms for that sort of trifle?

Pretty happy with the names coming out from the executive firm. In this case, it's the same exact name Ron Wolf came up with.

I've come to the conclussion that i like the idea of bringing in this consulting group. Unlike a guy like Wolf -or Parcells- they probably have fewer personal connections, and are more likely to make recommendations on merit alone. He has a team of people looking to make a living at this sort of thing helping him rather than a retiree just throwing out names. A smart hire for a guy like Johnson who seems to understand that he knows nothing about football, and is unsure about who to trust amongst the big retired names looking for work for their friends.

Archived