•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I Love Joe Namath But . . . . . .

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 JoeC36

JoeC36

JetNation's Keeper Of The Anals

• Moderators
  • 12,185 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Matt Snell should have been the MVP of Superbowl III.

289 Time Post of the Week Loser

#2 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 4,271 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Matt Snell should have been the MVP of Superbowl III.

Too soon.
"Those eight weeks I spent as co-host of JetNation Radio were among the happiest of my life. Oh, and F Tom Shane."

#3 Klecko73isGod

Klecko73isGod

Anchor Salesman

• Members
  • 23,101 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Posted Image
PatriotReign37, on 10 Sept 2014 - 10:56 AM, said: Oh the ironing.

#4 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,842 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

Joe Namath would have some slurs for you if he read what you wrote.

Not racial ones, but drunken ones.

#5 Jetscode1

Jetscode1

Veteran

• Members
  • 8,029 posts
  • LocationNorth America; Western Hemisphere; the Earth; the Solar System; the Universe; the Mind of God

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

I miss Joe but I wouldn't put a tattoo of him on my wife...does that make me a bad fan?

Det. William 'Bunk' Moreland: A man must have a code. 

#6 JoeC36

JoeC36

• Moderators
  • 12,185 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

I miss Joe but I wouldn't put a tattoo of him on my wife...does that make me a bad fan?

I put a tattoo of his wife on my arm.

#7 Jetscode1

Jetscode1

Veteran

• Members
  • 8,029 posts
  • LocationNorth America; Western Hemisphere; the Earth; the Solar System; the Universe; the Mind of God

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

I put a tattoo of his wife on my arm.

Joe's wife or Rex's wife...are the toes showing?

#8 JoeC36

JoeC36

• Moderators
  • 12,185 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

Joe's wife or Rex's wife...are the toes showing?

Joe's. I'm not a toe man. I'm more about the belly button.

#9 Jetscode1

Jetscode1

Veteran

• Members
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Joe's. I'm not a toe man. I'm more about the belly button.

belly button are cool...with or without jewelry?

I like them with.

#10 sirlancemehlot

sirlancemehlot

perpetual rookie

• Members
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

POPULAR

Joe Namath called every play from scrimmage. He was the one to decide a run-heavy attack was best vs. the Colts D. and he was the one who handed the rock instead of throwing it for his own glory. Add to the the "guarantee" and the fact that his celebrity singel-handedly put professional football under a huge spotlight forcing network television bids to skyrocket, was responsible for the first real sold-out championship game, and gave the AFL validity in an era when most fans thought of the AFL as the equivlent of Arena-league ball, Facilitated the the merger, and likely doubled the sports' popularity and marketablity. Namath hung out with superstars. He was, in fact, more popular than the Beatles (who incidentally arranged to meet with him because they, like everyone else, were starstruck). Elvis Presley went out of his way to meet Joe. Every hot actress clamored to get into his bed. The Federal Government followed him and the Mafia hung around his bar.

Thats why when some little kid comes around and says "Joe Namath doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame...his stats are mediocre" I get embarrassed for them. The Hall of Fame couldn't legitimately exist without Joe. He was fame. He was the NFL. He was the face, the brand, the star, the reason for the TV rights and the popularity of the Superbowl. So I say he gets MVP. HAll of Fame. and even deserves a french kiss and a handjob from Suzy Kolber.

Edited by sirlancemehlot, 04 January 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#11 Jet27

Jet27

Alpha & Omega

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Joe Namath called every play from scrimmage. He was the one to decide a run-heavy attack was best vs. the Colts D. and he was the one who handed the rock instead of throwing it for his own glory. Add to the the "guarantee" and the fact that his celebrity singel-handedly put professional football under a huge spotlight forcing network television bids to skyrocket, was responsible for the first real sold-out championship game, and gave the AFL validity in an era when most fans thought of the AFL as the equivlent of Arena-league ball, Facilitated the the merger, and likely doubled the sports' popularity and marketablity. Namath hung out with superstars. He was, in fact, more popular than the Beatles (who incidentally arranged to meet with him because they, like everyone else, were starstruck). Elvis Presley went out of his way to meet Joe. Every hot actress clamored to get into his bed. The Federal Government followed him and the Mafia hung around his bar.

Thats why when some little kid comes around and says "Joe Namath doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame...his stats are mediocre" I get embarrassed for them. The Hall of Fame couldn't legitimately exist without Joe. He was fame. He was the NFL. He was the face, the brand, the star, the reason for the TV rights and the popularity of the Superbowl. So I say he gets MVP. HAll of Fame. and even deserves a french kiss and a handjob from Suzy Kolber.

Well said friend.....A healthy Broadway Joe today, playing in today's NFL.....he would have thrown for 6000 yards

#12 Bugg

Bugg

Of counsel whack job

• Members
  • 15,230 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Well said. This is my first real memory of any game. if Namath and Unitas played it under today's rules they would thrown for 1200 yards total.

http://www.pro-footb...97209240clt.htm

Edited by Bugg, 04 January 2013 - 01:20 PM.

Objective-Santa Clara, California

Super Bowl 50-February 7th, 2015

#13 peebag

peebag

What? Me Worry?

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

take a look at this play at 1:35 into the video - that's an incrediable throw.......

#14 Lil Bit Special

Lil Bit Special

pumba lookin ass- Chris Ivory

• Members
  • 23,197 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

while there are nice things to say about Joe Namath, he had nothing to do with the merger of the AFL and NFL. That sh!t had been in the works since 1966.
 photo c82dba5d-cef7-4044-a308-6f6302c7ad1c.jpg

#15 FloridaJetsFan

FloridaJetsFan

Hail Caesar

• Members
  • 2,567 posts
  • LocationNavarre, FL

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Too soon.

Oh no! Is he dead?

#16 The Crusher

The Crusher

JiF is all about that bass, bout that bass, no treble

• Moderators
  • 30,456 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Posted Image

Dude must be hammered. Put the wrong jersey on.

#17 sirlancemehlot

sirlancemehlot

perpetual rookie

• Members
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

while there are nice things to say about Joe Namath, he had nothing to do with the merger of the AFL and NFL. That sh!t had been in the works since 1966.

No one said he did. I said he "facilitated" the merger. Meaning he made it more palatable and acceptable and thereby more "facil" which means easy in Spanish. He facilitated the merger. Because most NFL fans did not want the merger. They thought the AFL was a joke and couldn't compete. Until the Jets pounded the snot out of the great and mighty Colts.

#18 Lil Bit Special

Lil Bit Special

• Members
  • 23,197 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

No one said he did. I said he "facilitated" the merger. Meaning he made it more palatable and acceptable and thereby more "facil" which means easy in Spanish. He facilitated the merger. Because most NFL fans did not want the merger. They thought the AFL was a joke and couldn't compete. Until the Jets pounded the snot out of the great and mighty Colts.

Whether the Jets won or not, whether the fans wanted it or not, the merger was happening. Its all post-merger bullcrap that gives Joe credit.

Edited by Lil Bit Special, 04 January 2013 - 06:15 PM.

#19 PatriotReign37

PatriotReign37

500 warning points and counting.

• Members
  • 10,184 posts
  • LocationThe road to Seacacus

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Dude must be hammered. Put the wrong jersey on.

Revis looks just like Klacko

Edited by PatriotReign37, 04 January 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#20 JoeWillie

JoeWillie

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

While you're right about the merger being in the works since 1966, you're wrong about Namath not having anything to do with it.

It was the bidding war for his services between the two leagues in 1965 that made the NFL realize the best thing to do was merge.

Namath had everything to do with the evolution of the league as we know it today.

#21 JoeWillie

JoeWillie

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

It's astonishing to me that guys who are considered football "geniuses" by most people ... men like Lombardi, Madden, Shula, Summerall, Al Davis, Sid Gilman, Bill Walsh, Willie Davis, Bear Bryant, Fred Dryer, Merlin Olsen, the list goes on and on ... former players, coaches, front office guys who have forgotten more about football than the average fan will ever know, can call Namath one of the top 5 or 10 quarterbacks the game has ever seen ... yet the young fan who never saw Namath play will essentially ignore the experiences, insights, and opinions of these football experts, believing that they can better assess a player they never saw play by evaluating statistics and comparing them to players who play a vastly different game 40 years later.

It's just the epitome of ignorance.

Edited by JoeWillie, 04 January 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#22 neckdemon

neckdemon

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 8,064 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

take a look at this play at 1:35 into the video - that's an incrediable throw.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNCRUHGSYnk

ya know whats most amazing about this? he almost effortlessly flicked the football 45 yards right on the ****ing money

Edited by neckdemon, 04 January 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#23 Lil Bit Special

Lil Bit Special

• Members
  • 23,197 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

It's astonishing to me that guys who are considered football "geniuses" by most people ... men like Lombardi, Madden, Shula, Summerall, Al Davis, Sid Gilman, Bill Walsh, Willie Davis, Bear Bryant, Fred Dryer, Merlin Olsen, the list goes on and on ... former players, coaches, front office guys who have forgotten more about football than the average fan will ever know, can call Namath one of the top 5 or 10 quarterbacks the game has ever seen ... yet the young fan who never saw Namath play will essentially ignore the experiences, insights, and opinions of these football experts, believing that they can better assess a player they never saw play by evaluating statistics and comparing them to players who play a vastly different game 40 years later.

It's just the epitome of ignorance.

Its astonishing that the old people glorify the old days and cant come to terms that newer things are sometimes better than the old.

Namath was a good player for his time. To try and rank any player from different eras is retarded and a waste of time and breath. Its not a fair thing to say he is a top 5 or top 10 ever.. or not a top 5 or top 10. there is no real way to evaluate him vs modern QBs

#24 Bugg

Bugg

Of counsel whack job

• Members
  • 15,230 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

ya know whats most amazing about this? he almost effortlessly flicked the football 45 yards right on the ****ing money

Other than maybe Dan Marino nobody has ever ahd a release as quick and fluid as Namath. He got very beat up from injuries and it dragged down his productivity. And frankly he partied a lot and didn;t take care of himself. But he was surrounded by weak teams in the 1970s. The Jets basically gave away Riggins in a salary dispute.
Objective-Santa Clara, California

Super Bowl 50-February 7th, 2015

#25 Lil Bit Special

Lil Bit Special

• Members
  • 23,197 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

While you're right about the merger being in the works since 1966, you're wrong about Namath not having anything to do with it.

It was the bidding war for his services between the two leagues in 1965 that made the NFL realize the best thing to do was merge.

Namath had everything to do with the evolution of the league as we know it today.

You give him way too much credit. Its fun to glorify him. But there is a lot more than Joe Namath that changed the game through the 60's and 70's.

But when your username is Joe Willie, I wouldnt expect any less. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users