Word on the Street: Rex Will Cost Us

Gastineau Lives

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/856/jets-defense

According to ESPN New York, "the word on the street" is that the Jets are telling potential GM candidates that they won't be considered for the job unless they agree to keep head coach Rex Ryan for a year.

It's similar to Phil Emery's arrangement with the Bears last season. The Jets' caveat could end up costing them a respected up-and-coming talent evaluator if Tom Gamble (49ers), Marc Ross (Giants), David Caldwell (Falcons), or John Dorsey (Packers) decides he would rather bring in someone who shares his own philosophy.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cimini quoting Mehta who got the lowdown from Pettine....hardly credible.

Without even evaluating the validity of this particular story, it is kind of ridiculous that we're supposed to believe something must be more legitimate simply because it was reported by "multiple" sources. When you look at it, each article on the topic is simply pointing back to an article from a different source, and that article cites another site/paper as it's source as well and in the end, it all leads back to the same one report from the beginning that people were significantly less inclined to believe at the time.

Without even evaluating the validity of this particular story, it is kind of ridiculous that we're supposed to believe something must be more legitimate simply because it was reported by "multiple" sources. When you look at it, each article on the topic is simply pointing back to an article from a different source, and that article cites another site/paper as it's source as well and in the end, it all leads back to the same one report from the beginning that people were significantly less inclined to believe at the time.

It's like sitting in a bar...one guys has an opinion, so does the guy sitting next to him...and so on...now we have multiple sources suggesting something...it's beyond comical...but ESPN is paying him...so go figure.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/856/jets-defense

According to ESPN New York, "the word on the street" is that the Jets are telling potential GM candidates that they won't be considered for the job unless they agree to keep head coach Rex Ryan for a year.

It's similar to Phil Emery's arrangement with the Bears last season. The Jets' caveat could end up costing them a respected up-and-coming talent evaluator if Tom Gamble (49ers), Marc Ross (Giants), David Caldwell (Falcons), or John Dorsey (Packers) decides he would rather bring in someone who shares his own philosophy.

duh ya ****ing think!?

Woody is trying to pinch a few pennies

6 mil is not pennies. I love how free and easy we are with OPM. Jets fans complain about bridge and tunnel tolls 15 bucks OMG but 6 mil of woody's money is no problem.

a case can be made that the franchise health long term is better if they wait a year on Rex and Sanchez than if they just burn 14 million for no apparent reason. if you guys are in the rebuilding mode then rebuilding can take a long damn time. what's the hurry if the house is a complete tear down

6 mil is not pennies. I love how free and easy we are with OPM. Jets fans complain about bridge and tunnel tolls 15 bucks OMG but 6 mil of woody's money is no problem.

a case can be made that the franchise health long term is better if they wait a year on Rex and Sanchez than if they just burn 14 million for no apparent reason. if you guys are in the rebuilding mode then rebuilding can take a long damn time. what's the hurry if the house is a complete tear down

Well, I have this brilliant scheme for Woody to offset the loss of 6 mil. Let him charge people to personally license their seats, to pay for merchandise and all the other goodies that winning football teams enjoy. If he puts a good product on the field, one that people are not physically disgusted with, Bingo!

a case can be made that the franchise health long term is better if they wait a year on Rex and Sanchez than if they just burn 14 million for no apparent reason. if you guys are in the rebuilding mode then rebuilding can take a long damn time.

Woody's money?

Every cent of that contract will come out of our pockets. The Jets don't pay operating costs out of Woody's personal inheritance. In fact, the value of his franchise is worth more to him if he gets a capable GM that wins. A Super Bowl more than makes up for that 6 mil. It's called return on investment.

PS. Given your politics, I find you calling people out for spending OPM HILARIOUS ;)

Woody's money?

Every cent of that contract will come out of our pockets. The Jets don't pay operating costs out of Woody's personal inheritance. In fact, the value of his franchise is worth more to him if he gets a capable GM that wins. A Super Bowl more than makes up for that 6 mil. It's called return on investment.

PS. Given your politics, I find you calling people out for spending OPM HILARIOUS ;)

rebuttals 1) there's a less than 5% chance of a Super Bowl whether or not they fire the HC and cut the QB. 2) if it's our money, Cost vs benefits he should spend it on free agency or whatever instead of paying 2 people a combined 8 figures to not work for the Jets.

as for my politics first off wtf are you to ask. Potato is that some sort of euphemism for a butt plug?

but since you did I am also a kick the fg on 4th and 1 from the one type of football fan. 3 yards and a cloud of dust works. I root for the home team. as liberal as I might be in other areas (not that it's your business), i'm that Conservative as football fan. Reactionary even.

If Rex is such a brilliant mind, as you claim he is, some other team will snap him up, and the Jets would not be on the hook for the entirety of that contract.

If the jets are stupid enough to spend multi-millions extending a qb who hasn't done anything, then they should consider spending to align their coaching with their new direction. That is smart money spent.

If the Jets job is unattractive because the GM might have to hold onto Rex for a year, how unattractive is the KC job where the new GM is being brought in to essentially do Andy Reid's bidding?

If the Jets job is unattractive because the GM might have to hold onto Rex for a year, how unattractive is the KC job where the new GM is being brought in to essentially do Andy Reid's bidding?

Situations don't really relate at all. They've worked together before, went as a package deal and will both be in their first year rebuilding.

rebuttals 1) there's a less than 5% chance of a Super Bowl whether or not they fire the HC and cut the QB.

That's one of the dumbest things I've heard here in minutes. The odds of winning the Super Bowl down the road are the same no matter who is GM/coach/QB? Really? This is about putting the franchise in position to hire the best possible GM. Why possibly limit yourself because of the coach? The coach who has made your franchise a public laughing stock?

2) if it's our money, Cost vs benefits he should spend it on free agency or whatever instead of paying 2 people a combined 8 figures to not work for the Jets.

Um, no. First of all, Rex's salary doesn't count against the cap, so reallocating it to players isn't really even a viable comparison. By the way, how has free agency worked out for us in the past? In the NFL, you win by drafting smart.

If paying someone you've fired (plus new coach) means you get the best possible GM to build a staff and a roster, I'd make that investment any day.

as for my politics first off wtf are you to ask.

Dude, not asking, well established from your old days at the old place where you'd endlessly bicker with the Scot. Hence the wink.

Potato is that some sort of euphemism for a butt plug?

The fact that you went there is interesting. Maybe you can explain what road you took to get from "potato" to "butt plug".

2) if it's our money, Cost vs benefits he should spend it on free agency or whatever instead of paying 2 people a combined 8 figures to not work for the Jets.

The money is already going to be spent on these guys regardless. There is absolutely nothing that can be done to change that. For the moment, let's focus this point solely on Sanchez first, as that's very cut and dry. The Jets are on the hook to him for a lot of money this year because of an epically moronic deal made by the dipsh*t who just got his ass booted to the curb for that as reason #1 on quite a long list. There are two possible scenarios here:

1) Sanchez is done as the Jets starter. The guy is clearly not bringing even the slightest bit of a positive impact to this team in any capacity. If you agree this is the case, then are you suggesting that the Jets are somehow in any remotely better shape by pissing away all of this money on Sanchez to sit on the bench? How is that doing anything but compounding the idiotic decision to give him this money by adding on another idiotic decision to waste a roster spot, time and coaching on someone you are done with? Other than citing money that is 100% guaranteed to be paid by the Jets for him to do nothing, whether or not he's on the team, can you give one reason to explain how there's any logic to support this? Either way he's getting paid for nothing, why waste any more of your resources on him?

2) The only other position you could possibly have is that you think Sanchez isn't done as a starter. In which case, you're essentially making the point that, because of this idiotic contract, the Jets should continue to give Sanchez the opportunity to ruin any hopes of this team having an even slightly competent passing offense. That would essentially mean, that you would be suggesting that because of an idiotic decision the team already made last year, they should continue to make additional idiotic decisions that will be detrimental to both the present and future of this time. Does that about cover it? The only reason I can guess why you think this is even worth consideration is if you somehow think it will make the team look like less of complete ****ing idiots if they force Sanchez to try to "earn" the money (and that's never going to happen) they so foolishly guaranteed him.

The bottom line? Regardless of what the Jets do from here, that money is gone. There's yet to be an argument made to explain how exactly wasting a roster spot, or worse yet a starting spot and an entire season of Jets football, on Sanchez changes that one damn bit in any sort of positive manner for anyone, Woody included.

Reid supposedly already had a coaching staff built, has picked out a GM or has an agreement to work with one, he's been a winning NFL HC for what, 10 out of 14 years, whereas Rex Ryan seems to throw 'big names' into the mix. "Hey Turner is available, I want him as OC." He seems to talk out of his mouth most times and it was great when the Jets made it to the AFC Championship games, but when they missed the playoffs two years straight, loud mouths kind of sound stupid.

Think about it. Andy Reid has had a few bad seasons with a team considered "dream team." His team gave up on him this year. He gets fired Monday. He has 3 teams wanting him on Tuesday(Cardinals, Chiefs, Chargers) and maybe more, he has a deal in place by Friday. By next week he's planning for a draft, planning on rebuilding the Chiefs. Fans are excited for a new beginning. A new GM will come in and already have a plan in place.

Now lets go to the Jets. Rex is on 'vacation' and hasn't been heard from since, except for some stupid tat. The Jets GM was fired. Nobody really has said anything since. The Jets are supposed to look for a GM today. They throw out a bunch of names and it seems more for PR over anything else. There doesn't seem to be anybody knocking on the door right now. They have a lame duck coaching staff. They have lame duck players. They have an owner who is more interested in a presidential race than the team.

The situations couldn't be more different. On Monday, Andy Reid, his staff, his new GM, etc start work for next season.

The Jets seem to be stuck in this, lets make the most of the media, instead of actually making good decisions.

The problem with Rex Ryan is he's worse than his own father. He is a great DC, not so great HC. He's also brash, a loud mouth, and supposedly a 'players coach' on a team that essentially quit on him two seasons in a row. Nobody on the Jets seemed to care enough about Rex that they wanted to win one for him. Hell, Norv Turner and the Chargers went out on a winning streak. Players and the media and some fans came out supporting Turner, saying a lot of nice things about him.

Rex is still the HC of the Jets and it's like silence of the Jets. You can't really be known as a 'players coach' and have many of your own players not backing you up. Not even showing up the last part of the season. That says all anybody needs to know. Whether he brought in the wrong type of player or not, that's on him.

Woody's money?

boom

If keeping Rex causes the following:

1) The hiring of a 2nd-tier GM

2) Sanchez to remain the starting QB in 2013

I'd support Rex's firing. Neither of those things can be allowed to happen.

I don't see how one could not think that no. 1 is a possibility

I don't see how no 2 would be based on Rex.

The clear way of thinking about that is that a new GM should be unencumbered with excess baggage he does not want.

1) Sanchez is done as the Jets starter. The guy is clearly not bringing even the slightest bit of a positive impact to this team in any capacity. If you agree this is the case, then are you suggesting that the Jets are somehow in any remotely better shape by pissing away all of this money on Sanchez to sit on the bench? How is that doing anything but compounding the idiotic decision to give him this money by adding on another idiotic decision to waste a roster spot, time and coaching on someone you are done with? Other than citing money that is 100% guaranteed to be paid by the Jets for him to do nothing, whether or not he's on the team, can you give one reason to explain how there's any logic to support this? Either way he's getting paid for nothing, why waste any more of your resources on him?

2) The only other position you could possibly have is that you think Sanchez isn't done as a starter. In which case, you're essentially making the point that, because of this idiotic contract, the Jets should continue to give Sanchez the opportunity to ruin any hopes of this team having an even slightly competent passing offense. That would essentially mean, that you would be suggesting that because of an idiotic decision the team already made last year, they should continue to make additional idiotic decisions that will be detrimental to both the present and future of this time. Does that about cover it? The only reason I can guess why you think this is even worth consideration is if you somehow think it will make the team look like less of complete ****ing idiots if they force Sanchez to try to "earn" the money (and that's never going to happen) they so foolishly guaranteed him.

The bottom line? Regardless of what the Jets do from here, that money is gone. There's yet to be an argument made to explain how exactly wasting a roster spot, or worse yet a starting spot and an entire season of Jets football, on Sanchez changes that one damn bit in any sort of positive manner for anyone, Woody included.

Nobody thinks like this. Imagine you bought a house that you got screwed over on. You paid too much for it.

You thought it was going to be a great deal, but there were some plumbing and electrical issues, and it was just a mess. Maybe you overvalued it. Who knows. But you already bought it and have a huge mortgage you are forced to pay every month. Plus property taxes.

What are you going to do?

You still have to pay the mortgage every month because lets assume you can't bail and not pay. So there are no foreclosures. Since it's so overvalued and overpriced, you can't sell it. Unless you sell it at a loss plus give the new owner a ton of cash and another property to take it off your hand. So You continue to pay the mortgage every month. Will you just give it away because hey, it's not what you thought? So somebody else is living in the house you are paying for ? I doubt you would ever do that.

It's a different case, but it's not. The Jets have no future QB. They aren't going to go out and spend millions on a free agent QB. This years draft is weak compared to other years. Bring in a guy like Matt Moore on the cheap? I'm not sure that makes sense at all. Moore is not better than Sanchez. Sanchez stinks, but since when did Matt Moore become a starting NFL QB? Sanchez has had far more better games than Moore ever had. Moore has almost as many fumbles in his short career as TD passes.

So yeah, if the Jets get lucky and find some 3rd Round Russel Wilson, I'd be happy as hell. But if the idea is that Matt Moore is the answer for next season, while still paying Sanchez to sit on the bench for some other team, I honestly don't think people who think that have seen Matt Moore play.

I don't see how no 2 would be based on Rex.

New regimes mean new QB's. A new GM AND a new HC would surely mean the end of Sanchez. If Rex is still around, it's ultimately his call if he determines that whatever QB's the GM brings in don't "give the team the best chance to win".

Sure, the new GM could tell Rex to bench Sanchez or else his days are numbered. But the only sure way to be rid of Sanchez for good is a brand new front office AND coaching staff.

If we hire a solid new GM and Rex goes with whatever QB the GM chooses, then my point is moot and I'll be happy.

Archived