74 replies to this topic

#1 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

Good night and GFY

• Members
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

http://www.rotoworld...56/jets-defense

According to ESPN New York, "the word on the street" is that the Jets are telling potential GM candidates that they won't be considered for the job unless they agree to keep head coach Rex Ryan for a year.
It's similar to Phil Emery's arrangement with the Bears last season. The Jets' caveat could end up costing them a respected up-and-coming talent evaluator if Tom Gamble (49ers), Marc Ross (Giants), David Caldwell (Falcons), or John Dorsey (Packers) decides he would rather bring in someone who shares his own philosophy.

#2 Jetscode1

Jetscode1

Veteran

• Members
  • 7,062 posts
  • LocationNorth America; Western Hemisphere; the Earth; the Solar System; the Universe; the Mind of God

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Cimini quoting Mehta who got the lowdown from Pettine....hardly credible.

Det. William 'Bunk' Moreland: A man must have a code. 

#3 T0mShane

T0mShane

From devil to Bevell, '15

• Members
  • 24,729 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#4 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 20,384 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Cimini quoting Mehta who got the lowdown from Pettine....hardly credible.

Without even evaluating the validity of this particular story, it is kind of ridiculous that we're supposed to believe something must be more legitimate simply because it was reported by "multiple" sources. When you look at it, each article on the topic is simply pointing back to an article from a different source, and that article cites another site/paper as it's source as well and in the end, it all leads back to the same one report from the beginning that people were significantly less inclined to believe at the time.
By day he's the (not so) mild-mannered Bleedin Green, but by night...

#5 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

Good night and GFY

• Members
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

POPULAR

If true.

Woody is married to Rex.

Rex is married to Sanchez.

Jet fans are married to Misery.

Edited by Gastineau Lives, 04 January 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#6 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

I hope we get Hard Knocks again this year

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#7 Jetscode1

Jetscode1

Veteran

• Members
  • 7,062 posts
  • LocationNorth America; Western Hemisphere; the Earth; the Solar System; the Universe; the Mind of God

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Without even evaluating the validity of this particular story, it is kind of ridiculous that we're supposed to believe something must be more legitimate simply because it was reported by "multiple" sources. When you look at it, each article on the topic is simply pointing back to an article from a different source, and that article cites another site/paper as it's source as well and in the end, it all leads back to the same one report from the beginning that people were significantly less inclined to believe at the time.

It's like sitting in a bar...one guys has an opinion, so does the guy sitting next to him...and so on...now we have multiple sources suggesting something...it's beyond comical...but ESPN is paying him...so go figure.

#8 Jetscode1

Jetscode1

Veteran

• Members
  • 7,062 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

If true.

Woody is married to Rex.

Rex is married to Sanchez.

Jet fans are married to Misery.

Woody has a tattoo of Rex sucking his wife's toes.

#9 T0mShane

T0mShane

From devil to Bevell, '15

• Members
  • 24,729 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

I hope we get Hard Knocks again this year

I hope we're on Intervention instead.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#10 Scott Dierking

Scott Dierking

Jerk

• Members
  • 13,186 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Common sense should tell us that having Rex as a coach is less attractive as having the job vacant.

Woody is trying to pinch a few pennies and and have a martyrdom at coach for next year. As long as moves aren't made in a "save Rex" mode to the roster, I can live with it.
Originally Posted by Blackout™
LOL ignorance is bless.

#11 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 23,309 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

http://www.rotoworld...56/jets-defense

According to ESPN New York, "the word on the street" is that the Jets are telling potential GM candidates that they won't be considered for the job unless they agree to keep head coach Rex Ryan for a year.
It's similar to Phil Emery's arrangement with the Bears last season. The Jets' caveat could end up costing them a respected up-and-coming talent evaluator if Tom Gamble (49ers), Marc Ross (Giants), David Caldwell (Falcons), or John Dorsey (Packers) decides he would rather bring in someone who shares his own philosophy.

duh ya ****ing think!?

#12 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 30,522 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

lol
Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#13 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,516 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Woody is trying to pinch a few pennies

6 mil is not pennies. I love how free and easy we are with OPM. Jets fans complain about bridge and tunnel tolls 15 bucks OMG but 6 mil of woody's money is no problem.

a case can be made that the franchise health long term is better if they wait a year on Rex and Sanchez than if they just burn 14 million for no apparent reason. if you guys are in the rebuilding mode then rebuilding can take a long damn time. what's the hurry if the house is a complete tear down

Edited by bitonti, 04 January 2013 - 01:02 PM.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#14 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

Good night and GFY

• Members
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

6 mil is not pennies. I love how free and easy we are with OPM. Jets fans complain about bridge and tunnel tolls 15 bucks OMG but 6 mil of woody's money is no problem.

a case can be made that the franchise health long term is better if they wait a year on Rex and Sanchez than if they just burn 14 million for no apparent reason. if you guys are in the rebuilding mode then rebuilding can take a long damn time. what's the hurry if the house is a complete tear down

Well, I have this brilliant scheme for Woody to offset the loss of 6 mil. Let him charge people to personally license their seats, to pay for merchandise and all the other goodies that winning football teams enjoy. If he puts a good product on the field, one that people are not physically disgusted with, Bingo!

Edited by Gastineau Lives, 04 January 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#15 JetPotato

JetPotato

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

a case can be made that the franchise health long term is better if they wait a year on Rex and Sanchez than if they just burn 14 million for no apparent reason. if you guys are in the rebuilding mode then rebuilding can take a long damn time.

Woody's money?

Every cent of that contract will come out of our pockets. The Jets don't pay operating costs out of Woody's personal inheritance. In fact, the value of his franchise is worth more to him if he gets a capable GM that wins. A Super Bowl more than makes up for that 6 mil. It's called return on investment.

PS. Given your politics, I find you calling people out for spending OPM HILARIOUS ;)

Edited by JetPotato, 04 January 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#16 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

Good night and GFY

• Members
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Woody has a tattoo of Rex sucking his wife's toes.

LOL Skinny Rex or Fat Rex?

#17 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,516 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Woody's money?

Every cent of that contract will come out of our pockets. The Jets don't pay operating costs out of Woody's personal inheritance. In fact, the value of his franchise is worth more to him if he gets a capable GM that wins. A Super Bowl more than makes up for that 6 mil. It's called return on investment.

PS. Given your politics, I find you calling people out for spending OPM HILARIOUS ;)

rebuttals 1) there's a less than 5% chance of a Super Bowl whether or not they fire the HC and cut the QB. 2) if it's our money, Cost vs benefits he should spend it on free agency or whatever instead of paying 2 people a combined 8 figures to not work for the Jets.

as for my politics first off wtf are you to ask. Potato is that some sort of euphemism for a butt plug?

but since you did I am also a kick the fg on 4th and 1 from the one type of football fan. 3 yards and a cloud of dust works. I root for the home team. as liberal as I might be in other areas (not that it's your business), i'm that Conservative as football fan. Reactionary even.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#18 Scott Dierking

Scott Dierking

Jerk

• Members
  • 13,186 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

If Rex is such a brilliant mind, as you claim he is, some other team will snap him up, and the Jets would not be on the hook for the entirety of that contract.

If the jets are stupid enough to spend multi-millions extending a qb who hasn't done anything, then they should consider spending to align their coaching with their new direction. That is smart money spent.
Originally Posted by Blackout™
LOL ignorance is bless.

#19 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 18,202 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

If the Jets job is unattractive because the GM might have to hold onto Rex for a year, how unattractive is the KC job where the new GM is being brought in to essentially do Andy Reid's bidding?
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#20 spjets

spjets

NFL Alumni

• Members
  • 6,336 posts
  • Locationiron station NC

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Could you imagine Rex cursing out doctor drew

#21 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

If the Jets job is unattractive because the GM might have to hold onto Rex for a year, how unattractive is the KC job where the new GM is being brought in to essentially do Andy Reid's bidding?

Situations don't really relate at all. They've worked together before, went as a package deal and will both be in their first year rebuilding.

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#22 PatriotReign37

PatriotReign37

500 warning points and counting.

• Members
  • 9,461 posts
  • LocationThe road to Seacacus

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Its like saying I will give you Jets 50 yard line seats 10 rows from the field, but you have to sit next to Captain Jet.

#23 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 18,202 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Situations don't really relate at all. They've worked together before, went as a package deal and will both be in their first year rebuilding.

What if Heckert doesn't take the job?
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#24 JetPotato

JetPotato

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

rebuttals 1) there's a less than 5% chance of a Super Bowl whether or not they fire the HC and cut the QB.

That's one of the dumbest things I've heard here in minutes. The odds of winning the Super Bowl down the road are the same no matter who is GM/coach/QB? Really? This is about putting the franchise in position to hire the best possible GM. Why possibly limit yourself because of the coach? The coach who has made your franchise a public laughing stock?

2) if it's our money, Cost vs benefits he should spend it on free agency or whatever instead of paying 2 people a combined 8 figures to not work for the Jets.

Um, no. First of all, Rex's salary doesn't count against the cap, so reallocating it to players isn't really even a viable comparison. By the way, how has free agency worked out for us in the past? In the NFL, you win by drafting smart.

If paying someone you've fired (plus new coach) means you get the best possible GM to build a staff and a roster, I'd make that investment any day.

as for my politics first off wtf are you to ask.

Dude, not asking, well established from your old days at the old place where you'd endlessly bicker with the Scot. Hence the wink.

Potato is that some sort of euphemism for a butt plug?

The fact that you went there is interesting. Maybe you can explain what road you took to get from "potato" to "butt plug".

Edited by JetPotato, 04 January 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#25 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 20,384 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

2) if it's our money, Cost vs benefits he should spend it on free agency or whatever instead of paying 2 people a combined 8 figures to not work for the Jets.

The money is already going to be spent on these guys regardless. There is absolutely nothing that can be done to change that. For the moment, let's focus this point solely on Sanchez first, as that's very cut and dry. The Jets are on the hook to him for a lot of money this year because of an epically moronic deal made by the dipsh*t who just got his ass booted to the curb for that as reason #1 on quite a long list. There are two possible scenarios here:

1) Sanchez is done as the Jets starter. The guy is clearly not bringing even the slightest bit of a positive impact to this team in any capacity. If you agree this is the case, then are you suggesting that the Jets are somehow in any remotely better shape by pissing away all of this money on Sanchez to sit on the bench? How is that doing anything but compounding the idiotic decision to give him this money by adding on another idiotic decision to waste a roster spot, time and coaching on someone you are done with? Other than citing money that is 100% guaranteed to be paid by the Jets for him to do nothing, whether or not he's on the team, can you give one reason to explain how there's any logic to support this? Either way he's getting paid for nothing, why waste any more of your resources on him?

2) The only other position you could possibly have is that you think Sanchez isn't done as a starter. In which case, you're essentially making the point that, because of this idiotic contract, the Jets should continue to give Sanchez the opportunity to ruin any hopes of this team having an even slightly competent passing offense. That would essentially mean, that you would be suggesting that because of an idiotic decision the team already made last year, they should continue to make additional idiotic decisions that will be detrimental to both the present and future of this time. Does that about cover it? The only reason I can guess why you think this is even worth consideration is if you somehow think it will make the team look like less of complete ****ing idiots if they force Sanchez to try to "earn" the money (and that's never going to happen) they so foolishly guaranteed him.

The bottom line? Regardless of what the Jets do from here, that money is gone. There's yet to be an argument made to explain how exactly wasting a roster spot, or worse yet a starting spot and an entire season of Jets football, on Sanchez changes that one damn bit in any sort of positive manner for anyone, Woody included.
By day he's the (not so) mild-mannered Bleedin Green, but by night...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users