Word on the Street: Rex Will Cost Us

Gastineau Lives

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If keeping Rex causes the following:

1) The hiring of a 2nd-tier GM

2) Sanchez to remain the starting QB in 2013

I'd support Rex's firing. Neither of those things can be allowed to happen.

I actually like Rex, but I agree. If the only way we can get a top GM is to get rid of Rex, then I am ok with that.

6 mil is not pennies. I love how free and easy we are with OPM. Jets fans complain about bridge and tunnel tolls 15 bucks OMG but 6 mil of woody's money is no problem.

a case can be made that the franchise health long term is better if they wait a year on Rex and Sanchez than if they just burn 14 million for no apparent reason. if you guys are in the rebuilding mode then rebuilding can take a long damn time. what's the hurry if the house is a complete tear down

6 mil is not chump change That however doesnt change the fact that it would not come out of Johnson's own pocket, would not effect the teams cap space going foward and keeping the fat jerk will only lead to a second tier selection for GM.

FWIW, If I recall correctly, Johnson paid approx 600 mill for a team that is now worth north of 1 billion. Pretty good investment for a supposed dumb guy. Personally, I dont think he is lacking intellect as some here suggest. This team became one of the most valuable on earth without winning sh!t. He is all about back page news, publicity stunts, marque signings, loudmouth HC etc.I just think his business model considers winning a bonus and is not essential to his bottom line. If at the end of the day firing Ryan costs him 6 mill I'm all for it because honestly he isnt worth 6 cents at this point and Johnson and family wont miss any meals because of it.

Its clear that Sanchez is done as the starter in the FANS eyes. The NFL has seen he devolve into Joey Harrington pt deux. We need a fresh start and hopefully a new GM can get rid of sanchez...HOPEFULLY...if we do keep him we need a new starter..the "FRANCHISE" must ride the pine next year.

Nobody thinks like this. Imagine you bought a house that you got screwed over on. You paid too much for it.

You thought it was going to be a great deal, but there were some plumbing and electrical issues, and it was just a mess. Maybe you overvalued it. Who knows. But you already bought it and have a huge mortgage you are forced to pay every month. Plus property taxes.

What are you going to do?

You still have to pay the mortgage every month because lets assume you can't bail and not pay. So there are no foreclosures. Since it's so overvalued and overpriced, you can't sell it. Unless you sell it at a loss plus give the new owner a ton of cash and another property to take it off your hand. So You continue to pay the mortgage every month. Will you just give it away because hey, it's not what you thought? So somebody else is living in the house you are paying for ? I doubt you would ever do that.

Except Woody's house comes with a money tree and it's worth a billion dollars give or take. Problem is he needs a new grounds keeper to maintain that value. The last one it turns out only knew how to weed wack, couldn't do any of the other requirements and wasn't even very good with that. The problem with getting a new guy in to take care of things is the old guy left his mutt there and nobody wants to deal with him sh*tting and barking all ****ing day, but Woody doesn't want to pay the 100$ to put him down, or see if somebody else will take him.

Nobody thinks like this. Imagine you bought a house that you got screwed over on. You paid too much for it.

You thought it was going to be a great deal, but there were some plumbing and electrical issues, and it was just a mess. Maybe you overvalued it. Who knows. But you already bought it and have a huge mortgage you are forced to pay every month. Plus property taxes.

What are you going to do?

You still have to pay the mortgage every month because lets assume you can't bail and not pay. So there are no foreclosures. Since it's so overvalued and overpriced, you can't sell it. Unless you sell it at a loss plus give the new owner a ton of cash and another property to take it off your hand. So You continue to pay the mortgage every month. Will you just give it away because hey, it's not what you thought? So somebody else is living in the house you are paying for ? I doubt you would ever do that.

It's a different case, but it's not. The Jets have no future QB. They aren't going to go out and spend millions on a free agent QB. This years draft is weak compared to other years. Bring in a guy like Matt Moore on the cheap? I'm not sure that makes sense at all. Moore is not better than Sanchez. Sanchez stinks, but since when did Matt Moore become a starting NFL QB? Sanchez has had far more better games than Moore ever had. Moore has almost as many fumbles in his short career as TD passes.

So yeah, if the Jets get lucky and find some 3rd Round Russel Wilson, I'd be happy as hell. But if the idea is that Matt Moore is the answer for next season, while still paying Sanchez to sit on the bench for some other team, I honestly don't think people who think that have seen Matt Moore play.

Except in this case, the house has a variety of gas leaks, black mold, infestations, etc throughout it, making it uninhabitable. It should also be noted that it would have to be impossible for any of these things to be repaired, no matter how much money you spent. So essentially your options are:

1) Suck it up, admit that you were an idiot, and get rid of the damn thing.

2) Keep the house out of spite, despite not even living in it, because you were a big enough moron to buy it in the first place. In the meantime, you get to compound your already stupid mistakes by enjoying having to pay the taxes on top of all of your money that you've already pissed away.

3) Live in the house and likely end up extremely sick, if not dead, because of it.

Keep in mind, in this case you are also filthy stinking rich and if you get rid of the house, will have the mortgage paid off within the year and be in fine financial shape to boot.

That's one of the dumbest things I've heard here in minutes. The odds of winning the Super Bowl down the road are the same no matter who is GM/coach/QB? Really? This is about putting the franchise in position to hire the best possible GM. Why possibly limit yourself because of the coach? The coach who has made your franchise a public laughing stock?

1/32 is 3%. So that means if every team in the NFL is equal the Jets have a 3% chance of winning the Super Bowl. Obviously they aren't equal, i was being really generous with 5%. It's probably more like 1%. My point is they are 1% with Rex and also 1% without him. It's not a huge change in the chance of a super Bowl. fans bring up the super Bowl like making all these changes makes it possible. It's about the same level of impossibility either way: Not very f--king likely. Firing Rex and cutting mark doesn't raise that percentage all that much and it's all gonna be taken care of in a year anyway.

Um, no. First of all, Rex's salary doesn't count against the cap, so reallocating it to players isn't really even a viable comparison. By the way, how has free agency worked out for us in the past? In the NFL, you win by drafting smart.

If paying someone you've fired (plus new coach) means you get the best possible GM to build a staff and a roster, I'd make that investment any day.

it doesn't really mean that tho. You hope that. Paying 6 mil on a hope. It's possible the next guy will be worse, see Sparano. even tho the coach money doesn't count against the cap it's still real money that can be used for other things.

Dude, not asking, well established from your old days at the old place where you'd endlessly bicker with the Scot. Hence the wink.

The fact that you went there is interesting. Maybe you can explain what road you took to get from "potato" to "butt plug".

I just don't like people assuming they know all about me, under a fake name. Maybe my politics have changed and maybe they haven't but too many times i get people yelling at me about defensive ends when really they are yelling at me about politics.

as for Mark I am saying the best move is ride out this year. if they reneg his deal that's even more bonus for mark and the cap nightmare continues. Just get it over with.

Except in this case, the house has a variety of gas leaks, black mold, infestations, etc throughout it, making it uninhabitable. It should also be noted that it would have to be impossible for any of these things to be repaired, no matter how much money you spent.

again you are assuming 100% that Rex is terrible and 100% Sanchez is awful. Those aren't the real numbers. the numbers might be 50/50 with Rex and 85/15 with Mark but they aren't black mold. Guys do get better occasionally.

here's a scenario Rex hires Norv, Mark can lose a QB battle with Alex Smith and ride out his 1 year without doing any more damage. REx can be Rex for 10 seasons with an awesome defense and someone else running the offense. I would love to see you guys complain if the Jets hired Chip Kelly and had the opposite problem, great offense and no defense. Gotta have both to some extent.

again you are assuming 100% that Rex is terrible and 100% Sanchez is awful. Those aren't the real numbers. the numbers might be 50/50 with Rex and 85/15 with Mark but they aren't black mold. Guys do get better occasionally.

here's a scenario Rex hires Norv, Mark can lose a QB battle with Alex Smith and ride out his 1 year without doing any more damage. REx can be Rex for 10 seasons with an awesome defense and someone else running the offense. I would love to see you guys complain if the Jets hired Chip Kelly and had the opposite problem, great offense and no defense. Gotta have both to some extent.

jets reached out to cam cameron per espn . .confused unless it was for qb coach to Norv's OC?

jets reached out to cam cameron per espn . .confused unless it was for qb coach to Norv's OC?

They are reaching out to big names as PR moves. They are also grasping at straws cause they still haven't fired anybody yet.

They have no clue what they are going to do. Fire the coaches and build a new staff. What's the point in waiting around. If they wind up with a GM who has no real pedigree, how is he going to fire anybody? If he fires Rex Ryan and the next coach stinks the first two seasons, he'll probably be fired. If he keeps Rex around and the Jets wind up 8-8 next year, the new GM guarantees himself a few more years.

Sometimes it is about job security.

And Why would Norv Turner come to the Jets?

There is also a rumor he could go to the Chiefs as OC. Both teams have lousy QBs, but the Chiefs have the #1 pick in the draft and Andy Reid.

Just throwing names out doesn't mean anything. Maybe he will come, maybe he won't, but I'm not assuming anybody is coming at this point.

So Turner becomes OC, they hire a new GM, who fires Ryan, new coach comes in and doesn't want Turner as OC. Yeah that'll be another circus.

Well like I said, rather than have two different arguments at the same time with very different foundations, I was focusing solely on Sanchez. The two have nothing to do with each other and have no reason to be lumped together, be it in discussion or the action itself.

The point is that having Sanchez sitting on the bench provides absolutely nothing of value to this team, while wasting a roster spot that would be much better to be used on a young QB who you're grooming for the future. That's not to mention the amount of negativity and controversy that surrounds him (regardless of whether you want to blame him for it, it's still there) is not something that's worth keeping in your locker room for a guy who's contributing nothing. As far as if Sanchez isn't on the bench? Well, the idea of that even being a possibility is reason #1 Sanchez needs to be off this team ASAP.

The point is that having Sanchez sitting on the bench provides absolutely nothing of value to this team, while wasting a roster spot that would be much better to be used on a young QB who you're grooming for the future.

Not saying keeping him is such a hot move im saying it's the least bad option. The other options are 1) cut him and go to cap hell or 2) extend him to trade him which is more bonus for Mark?

bring in the vet and let Sanchez be the young Qb to groom for 1 year. Teddy Bridgewater in 2014 not Matt Barkley in 2013.

Not saying keeping him is such a hot move im saying it's the least bad option. The other options are 1) cut him and go to cap hell or 2) extend him to trade him which is more bonus for Mark?

bring in the vet and let Sanchez be the young Qb to groom for 1 year. Teddy Bridgewater in 2014 not Matt Barkley in 2013.

Personally I'd say designate him a June 1st cut. His cap hit for this year pretty much nets out, they end up in better shape for next year and then are free and clear after that. Not to mention it opens up a roster spot and gets rid of all the baggage that comes along with Sanchez these days. If the Jets are going to wait a year to really make a major commitment to a QB because this draft's options aren't great that's something I could certainly understand, but I'd still rather the Jets roll the dice on a late rounder and see if they can get lucky than waste any more of their time on Sanchez.

At this point, I don't know what they should do. Sanchez and Tebow are going to be distractions whether they are here or not.

If a new GM keeps Rex Ryan and Matt Moore is the QB and they draft another Greg McElroy, what future is really planned?

The Jets have been searching for the QB of the future ever since they passed on Marino. The Dolphins have been searching for the QB of the future ever since Marino retired. 2014 doesn't mean they'll find that QB.

And god forbid Tebow winds up 8-8 as a starting QB someplace else. Ryan, the new GM, and everybody else on the Jets probably wind up fired. And if Sanchez winds up on a team that makes the playoffs, I don't think Rex Ryan ever coaches again. And the New GM probably gets fired for not keeping Sanchez. Because truth be told, Matt Moore isn't better than Sanchez. He fumbles just as much. Throws too many picks. And couldn't even beat out a rookie nor a guy the dolphins were forced to cut.

I don't think its good to keep Sanchez, but eating 8.5 million is just a lot of money. You can say Woody is rich, but nobody wants to just pay somebody to be on somebody elses bench. Like it or not, it'll probably make Woody happier that Sanchez is sitting on the Jets bench being paid compared to sitting on somebody elses bench being paid by Woody.

Cam Cameron's resume is much better than his perception. He's coached in a lot of big games and the Chargers and Ravens haven't gotten over the hump so he takes a lot of heat. What if Lee Evans holds on to the ball in the end zone last year in the AFC title game and the Ravens go to the Super Bowl? In 10 years as an NFL offensive coordinator, he's had 3 top 5 scoring offenses (including top-scoring offense in 1996), and nine of the 10 years his offenses have been in the top half of the league in scoring. The average NFL experience of his starting quarterbacks in those 10 years has been 3.2 years. Brees went to Pro Bowl in third year with Cam and Rivers went to Pro Bowl in his first year as a starter under Cam.

He also gets a lot of criticism for not getting Ray Rice the ball. Rice is 2nd in NFL in touches since beginning of 2010 season and has twice gone over 2,000 yards from scrimmage under Cameron. He also had LaDainian in San Diego.

The Ravens set franchise records this season for scoring and fewest turnovers.

Cam Cameron's been one of the better OCs in the NFL for the last decade.

Well, I have this brilliant scheme for Woody to offset the loss of 6 mil. Let him charge people to personally license their seats, to pay for merchandise and all the other goodies that winning football teams enjoy. If he puts a good product on the field, one that people are not physically disgusted with, Bingo!

I didn't realize the jets were the only team in the nfl with psls?

Cam Cameron's resume is much better than his perception. He's coached in a lot of big games and the Chargers and Ravens haven't gotten over the hump so he takes a lot of heat. What if Lee Evans holds on to the ball in the end zone last year in the AFC title game and the Ravens go to the Super Bowl. In 10 years as an NFL offensive coordinator, he's had 3 top 5 scoring offenses (including top-scoring offense in 1996), and nine of the 10 years his offenses have been in the top half of the league in scoring. The average NFL experience of his starting quarterbacks in those 10 years has been 3.2 years. Brees went to Pro Bowl in third year with Cam and Rivers went to Pro Bowl in his first year as a starter under Cam.

He also gets a lot of criticism for not getting Ray Rice the ball. Rice is 2nd in NFL in touches since beginning of 2010 season and has twice gone over 2,000 yards from scrimmage under Cameron. He also had LaDainian in San Diego.

The Ravens set franchise records this season for scoring and fewest turnovers.

Cam Cameron's been one of the better OCs in the NFL for the last decade.

Cam has been a good OC. The Chargers had one of the top offenses when he was there. He stunk as a HC, but as an OC for the Ravens Joe Flacco isn't a top tier QB in my opinion and the Ravens don't exactly have the best WR in the NFL, it was one of those, Ravens were struggling, somebody has to take the fall moves.

Norv Turner gets way too much credit. He was a great OC with the Aikman, Smith, Irvin, Novachek, etc Cowboys.

You would have to be one of the worst coaches in the NFLs history to not win with that team. He then coaches the Redskins for 6 or 7 years and he was not a good HC.

The truth is, Norv Turner was known as a great OC with the Dallas Cowboys in the early 90s. That was twenty years ago with a team filled with HOF players. And what's the point of bringing Norv here for a year under Rex, and next season Norv leaves for another job and Rex gets fired? That isn't building anything for the future. That's starting over next season and wasting an entire season for no reason at all.

San Diego's offense actually fell off quite a bit during the transition year from Cam to Norv. A lot of people think the two coach together in San Diego but they didn't.

The Ravens actually scored 28 points against the Redskins in the last game before he got fired. They also set franchise records for most points in a season and fewest turnovers. Word is that it wasn't Harbaugh that wanted Cam fired but the owner.

Perception can be a funny thing. Cam has three top five offenses in points in his 11 years as OC or head coach and has been in the top half of the league in scoring 9 of those 11. Jon Gruden has coached for 14 years as an OC and HC and his offenses have been in the top half of the league in scoring only 4 times in those dozen years. Gruden's an offensive guru and Cam Cameron's a moron.

San Diego's offense actually fell off quite a bit during the transition year from Cam to Norv. A lot of people think the two coach together in San Diego but they didn't.

The Ravens actually scored 28 points against the Redskins in the last game before he got fired. They also set franchise records for most points in a season and fewest turnovers. Word is that it wasn't Harbaugh that wanted Cam fired but the owner.

Perception can be a funny thing. Cam has three top five offenses in points in his 11 years as OC or head coach and has been in the top half of the league in scoring 9 of those 11. Jon Gruden has coached for 14 years as an OC and HC and his offenses have been in the top half of the league in scoring only 4 times in those dozen years. Gruden's an offensive guru and Cam Cameron's a moron.

It is all about perception. Andy Reid stunk the last 4 years in Philly and people like to say he's done, football has passed him.

Whereas Gruden is still considered a genius everybody wants to hire.

But look at the last 4 years in Tampa for Gruden? Nobody was calling him a genius. Now people considered Gruden some QB genius. Rich Gannon didn't become good because of Gruden. And in Tampa. Nobody ever said Tampa Bay won because of the great QB.

1 year martyr. Then this club goes about signing a real coach

Wasted year, so stupid, this should be yet one bringing in players to fit the new coaches systems, not a wasted year, typical moron Jets.

There is clear reasons why some teams have sustained long term success, and that others don't, this is a classic example of why we don't, we've had 40 years plus of bad ownership and no leadership.

Wasted year, so stupid, this should be yet one bringing in players to fit the new coaches systems, not a wasted year, typical moron Jets.

I really don't understand this argument. 2013 is a rebuilding year with clearing contracts, getting younger, and setting up to make up moves in 2014. Thus, it is a "wasted year" regardless of HC.

Might as well have the HC you're going to fire coach that year rather than the new coach start off his Jets career with a losing season.

I really don't understand this argument. 2013 is a rebuilding year with clearing contracts, getting younger, and setting up to make up moves in 2014. Thus, it is a "wasted year" regardless of HC.

Might as well have the HC you're going to fire coach that year rather than the new coach start off his Jets career with a losing season.

It's a year of not getting players into and used to the new coaches system

Archived