•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Word on the Street: Rex Will Cost Us

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#51 pedro55

pedro55

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

At this point, I don't know what they should do. Sanchez and Tebow are going to be distractions whether they are here or not.
If a new GM keeps Rex Ryan and Matt Moore is the QB and they draft another Greg McElroy, what future is really planned?
The Jets have been searching for the QB of the future ever since they passed on Marino. The Dolphins have been searching for the QB of the future ever since Marino retired. 2014 doesn't mean they'll find that QB.

And god forbid Tebow winds up 8-8 as a starting QB someplace else. Ryan, the new GM, and everybody else on the Jets probably wind up fired. And if Sanchez winds up on a team that makes the playoffs, I don't think Rex Ryan ever coaches again. And the New GM probably gets fired for not keeping Sanchez. Because truth be told, Matt Moore isn't better than Sanchez. He fumbles just as much. Throws too many picks. And couldn't even beat out a rookie nor a guy the dolphins were forced to cut.

I don't think its good to keep Sanchez, but eating 8.5 million is just a lot of money. You can say Woody is rich, but nobody wants to just pay somebody to be on somebody elses bench. Like it or not, it'll probably make Woody happier that Sanchez is sitting on the Jets bench being paid compared to sitting on somebody elses bench being paid by Woody.

#52 flipper14

flipper14

New Kid On The Block

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Cam Cameron's resume is much better than his perception. He's coached in a lot of big games and the Chargers and Ravens haven't gotten over the hump so he takes a lot of heat. What if Lee Evans holds on to the ball in the end zone last year in the AFC title game and the Ravens go to the Super Bowl? In 10 years as an NFL offensive coordinator, he's had 3 top 5 scoring offenses (including top-scoring offense in 1996), and nine of the 10 years his offenses have been in the top half of the league in scoring. The average NFL experience of his starting quarterbacks in those 10 years has been 3.2 years. Brees went to Pro Bowl in third year with Cam and Rivers went to Pro Bowl in his first year as a starter under Cam.

He also gets a lot of criticism for not getting Ray Rice the ball. Rice is 2nd in NFL in touches since beginning of 2010 season and has twice gone over 2,000 yards from scrimmage under Cameron. He also had LaDainian in San Diego.

The Ravens set franchise records this season for scoring and fewest turnovers.

Cam Cameron's been one of the better OCs in the NFL for the last decade.

Edited by flipper14, 04 January 2013 - 06:35 PM.

#53 aec4

aec4

Resident Whiny Bitch

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Well, I have this brilliant scheme for Woody to offset the loss of 6 mil. Let him charge people to personally license their seats, to pay for merchandise and all the other goodies that winning football teams enjoy. If he puts a good product on the field, one that people are not physically disgusted with, Bingo!

I didn't realize the jets were the only team in the nfl with psls?

#54 pedro55

pedro55

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Cam Cameron's resume is much better than his perception. He's coached in a lot of big games and the Chargers and Ravens haven't gotten over the hump so he takes a lot of heat. What if Lee Evans holds on to the ball in the end zone last year in the AFC title game and the Ravens go to the Super Bowl. In 10 years as an NFL offensive coordinator, he's had 3 top 5 scoring offenses (including top-scoring offense in 1996), and nine of the 10 years his offenses have been in the top half of the league in scoring. The average NFL experience of his starting quarterbacks in those 10 years has been 3.2 years. Brees went to Pro Bowl in third year with Cam and Rivers went to Pro Bowl in his first year as a starter under Cam.

He also gets a lot of criticism for not getting Ray Rice the ball. Rice is 2nd in NFL in touches since beginning of 2010 season and has twice gone over 2,000 yards from scrimmage under Cameron. He also had LaDainian in San Diego.

The Ravens set franchise records this season for scoring and fewest turnovers.

Cam Cameron's been one of the better OCs in the NFL for the last decade.

Cam has been a good OC. The Chargers had one of the top offenses when he was there. He stunk as a HC, but as an OC for the Ravens Joe Flacco isn't a top tier QB in my opinion and the Ravens don't exactly have the best WR in the NFL, it was one of those, Ravens were struggling, somebody has to take the fall moves.

Norv Turner gets way too much credit. He was a great OC with the Aikman, Smith, Irvin, Novachek, etc Cowboys.
You would have to be one of the worst coaches in the NFLs history to not win with that team. He then coaches the Redskins for 6 or 7 years and he was not a good HC.

The truth is, Norv Turner was known as a great OC with the Dallas Cowboys in the early 90s. That was twenty years ago with a team filled with HOF players. And what's the point of bringing Norv here for a year under Rex, and next season Norv leaves for another job and Rex gets fired? That isn't building anything for the future. That's starting over next season and wasting an entire season for no reason at all.

Edited by pedro55, 04 January 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#55 flipper14

flipper14

New Kid On The Block

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

San Diego's offense actually fell off quite a bit during the transition year from Cam to Norv. A lot of people think the two coach together in San Diego but they didn't.

The Ravens actually scored 28 points against the Redskins in the last game before he got fired. They also set franchise records for most points in a season and fewest turnovers. Word is that it wasn't Harbaugh that wanted Cam fired but the owner.

Perception can be a funny thing. Cam has three top five offenses in points in his 11 years as OC or head coach and has been in the top half of the league in scoring 9 of those 11. Jon Gruden has coached for 14 years as an OC and HC and his offenses have been in the top half of the league in scoring only 4 times in those dozen years. Gruden's an offensive guru and Cam Cameron's a moron.

#56 Lizard King

Lizard King

Special Breed of Crazy

• Members
  • 6,181 posts
  • LocationMendham, NJ

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Tldr

#57 pedro55

pedro55

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

San Diego's offense actually fell off quite a bit during the transition year from Cam to Norv. A lot of people think the two coach together in San Diego but they didn't.

The Ravens actually scored 28 points against the Redskins in the last game before he got fired. They also set franchise records for most points in a season and fewest turnovers. Word is that it wasn't Harbaugh that wanted Cam fired but the owner.

Perception can be a funny thing. Cam has three top five offenses in points in his 11 years as OC or head coach and has been in the top half of the league in scoring 9 of those 11. Jon Gruden has coached for 14 years as an OC and HC and his offenses have been in the top half of the league in scoring only 4 times in those dozen years. Gruden's an offensive guru and Cam Cameron's a moron.

It is all about perception. Andy Reid stunk the last 4 years in Philly and people like to say he's done, football has passed him.
Whereas Gruden is still considered a genius everybody wants to hire.
But look at the last 4 years in Tampa for Gruden? Nobody was calling him a genius. Now people considered Gruden some QB genius. Rich Gannon didn't become good because of Gruden. And in Tampa. Nobody ever said Tampa Bay won because of the great QB.

#58 The Crusher

The Crusher

JiF is all about that bass, bout that bass, no treble

• Moderators
  • 30,447 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

I hope we get Hard Knocks again this year

True LOL on that one.

#59 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 19,139 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

cool

so whats up for 2013, a revis holdout ?

yay
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

#60 SMC

SMC

Day-to-day

• Members
  • 19,368 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

As mentioned in other thread, Gamble now rumored to be signing with Jets per PFT. So, did Rex cost them?
Posted Image

#61 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

rebanmadmike1

• Members
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

jets reached out to cam cameron per espn . .confused unless it was for qb coach to Norv's OC?

Why would they be reaching out to OC's before the GM is in place? And horrible, recently fired OC's at that.
Tank for Teddy.

#62 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 4,271 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:37 AM

I didn't realize the jets were the only team in the nfl with psls?

Of course not. But we're the only one that has to try to win, amirite?
"Those eight weeks I spent as co-host of JetNation Radio were among the happiest of my life. Oh, and F Tom Shane."

#63 jack48

jack48

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

Not only that. But the new GM will be required to get an upper arm tattoo of his wife wearing only Rex's black sweater-vest.

#64 Scott Dierking

Scott Dierking

Jerk

• Members
  • 13,685 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

As mentioned in other thread, Gamble now rumored to be signing with Jets per PFT. So, did Rex cost them?

1 year martyr. Then this club goes about signing a real coach
Originally Posted by Blackout™
LOL ignorance is bless.

#65 JFtoLong

JFtoLong

2nd Year Veteran

• Banned
  • 1,294 posts
  • Locationgrassy knoll

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Wasted year, so stupid, this should be yet one bringing in players to fit the new coaches systems, not a wasted year, typical moron Jets.

There is clear reasons why some teams have sustained long term success, and that others don't, this is a classic example of why we don't, we've had 40 years plus of bad ownership and no leadership.

#66 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,556 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Legit article, right?

You're not even good at this anymore.
Posted Image

#67 SMC

SMC

Day-to-day

• Members
  • 19,368 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Wasted year, so stupid, this should be yet one bringing in players to fit the new coaches systems, not a wasted year, typical moron Jets.

I really don't understand this argument. 2013 is a rebuilding year with clearing contracts, getting younger, and setting up to make up moves in 2014. Thus, it is a "wasted year" regardless of HC.

Might as well have the HC you're going to fire coach that year rather than the new coach start off his Jets career with a losing season.
Posted Image

#68 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,854 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Anyone else ever notice how consistently dumb the word on the street is? That Twitter only made it worse?

I really don't think having Ryan has anything to do with the GM search. It's not like new GM can't fire him.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#69 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,788 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

Tom Gamble turned down 2nd interview with Jags to focus on #Jets GM job, per @AdamSchefter
Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#70 JFtoLong

JFtoLong

2nd Year Veteran

• Banned
  • 1,294 posts
  • Locationgrassy knoll

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

I really don't understand this argument. 2013 is a rebuilding year with clearing contracts, getting younger, and setting up to make up moves in 2014. Thus, it is a "wasted year" regardless of HC.

Might as well have the HC you're going to fire coach that year rather than the new coach start off his Jets career with a losing season.

It's a year of not getting players into and used to the new coaches system

#71 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 9,006 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

It's a year of not getting players into and used to the new coaches system

The jets are going BPA regardless of HC and with the cap as tight as it is, were is this sudden influx of players going to come from?? The counselor is right, why bring in another head coach to draw the fans/ownership's ire when he already has his sacrificial lamb on the payroll. The last two first-rounders and other draft picks are fairly scheme-diverse and I don't suspect that to change with this draft either. If Gamble is really the hot-ticket that everyone is touting him to be and he's choosing the jets over all his other suitors, then by disagreeing with keeping Rex, you're technically disagreeing with the guy you want to be our GM. It's kind of a silly stance to take.

#72 Irish Jet

Irish Jet

• Members
  • 23,757 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

And?

How does that change what a ****ing ridiculous idea this was. If anything having a guy like would be more appealing, it means no matter how bad next year goes, Gamble will be almost untouchable, Rex is the fall guy no matter what. He's got a free year basically.

If ever there needed proving that there's a media agenda against Rex Ryan, the last few days will provide all you need. It's crazy.

#73 jack48

jack48

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

I suppose that if I did want to take a rosy view of the situation, I could surmise the following: that it is not like Rex cannot coach a team. He may have trouble managing a team, and yes, some of his in game decisions (especially challenges), like those of so many HCs, do make you scratch your head-----but he can put a D on the field that can be more than effective. Maybe the new GM figures he can lay down some rules and regs for Rex in the press relations department, where Rex has been dismal--and that he can find a competent OC, preferably one that Rex does NOT like (no more of this ground and pound nonsense)---and that he can assemble enough personnel to put a respectable team on the field next year (without Rex's input). I guess my point is that he is not being stuck with a guy who can not compete on the field coach-wise. If I am Tom Gamble i am sitting Rex down and giving him MY vision of the future. I am telling him that he will have no say in the drafting or signing of personnel. He will have to work with what I give him or he will be gone. I am also telling him to bring locker room problems to me almost before they happen. Any more anonymous this and that and he will be gone at end of season. And one final note: no bluster. If Rex can live with that, and he thrives, fine. If not, bye bye next year. That is my rosy vision. I still think Gamble or whoever should be given the carte blanche to can him.

#74 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,859 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

And?

How does that change what a ****ing ridiculous idea this was. If anything having a guy like would be more appealing, it means no matter how bad next year goes, Gamble will be almost untouchable, Rex is the fall guy no matter what. He's got a free year basically.

If ever there needed proving that there's a media agenda against Rex Ryan, the last few days will provide all you need. It's crazy.

Outside of the media themselves, if you want to take the soap box approach about their ethics cause we know they're a joke, Rex has nobody to blame but Rex for all this attention.

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#75 Jets62

Jets62

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

6 mil is not pennies. I love how free and easy we are with OPM. Jets fans complain about bridge and tunnel tolls 15 bucks OMG but 6 mil of woody's money is no problem.

a case can be made that the franchise health long term is better if they wait a year on Rex and Sanchez than if they just burn 14 million for no apparent reason. if you guys are in the rebuilding mode then rebuilding can take a long damn time. what's the hurry if the house is a complete tear down

Because its not a complete tear down.Defense is above average 8th overall.New QB,a couple of playmakers on offense&a pass rusher and were competative again.If the Jets can average 24pts a game next year were in the playoffs.Without that butthole at QB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users