How keeping Rex might AID in our GM search

Sperm Edwards

Rich Cimini

Tom Gamble turned down second interview with Jags to focus on #Jets GM job, per @AdamSchefter. Jax leaning toward Dave Caldwell.

pretty sure I heard keeping Rex was going to keep us from getting this guy. :animal0029:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gamble wants to be here(over Jax anyway)

49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble turned down chance for 2nd interview w/ Jaguars to concentrate on trying to land Jets GM job.

Rich Cimini

Tom Gamble turned down second interview with Jags to focus on #Jets GM job, per @AdamSchefter. Jax leaning toward Dave Caldwell.

pretty sure I heard keeping Rex was going to keep us from getting this guy. :animal0029:

Gamble wants to be here(over Jax anyway)

https://twitter.com/...597244302123009

49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble turned down chance for 2nd interview w/ Jaguars to concentrate on trying to land Jets GM job.

But but Tom said:

You're an idiot. Florio didn't even make a passing attempt to pretend that he sourced this article. He mailed it in from his Droid based solely on who was interviewing where. If he had an article saying "anonymous sources are telling PFT that Gamble will sign with Jets..." then we have a story. This is not that. Dolt.

I disagree, and I think it's even worse in this situation, given NY and Woodys reputation as a bad owner.

It's not unusual for a coach to be kept, but it is unusual for the forced keeping of the coach. The right way to do it is to say the new GM makes the call.

This times infinity.

The only correct thing for Woody to do is to entrust the new GM with all football decisions.

If the GM thinks giving Rex the reigns makes sense, then do it. If a new coach is what's needed, then do that.

If a team that's been sucking sees a major change at the top (new GM and/or coach), it can be used to re-invigorate the team.

Look at the Colts this year, Jets under first year Mangini, Jets under first year Ryan. You can say the first year the players over-achieved.

There's a chance that the 2013 Jets will not be a total waste to watch. I'm looking forward to the house cleaning and the (hopefully) good ways the cap hell and talent issues are addressed.

But but Tom said:

Makes us an early favorite in the Alex Smith Sweepstakes -- yeah I said it.

If they get a serviceable QB in here this is a playoff team next year. I can't believe how many supposedly knowledgeable posters are already calling for a disaster before the draft, Free Agency, etc.

I bet Rex and Gamble won't share that defeatist attitude.

If they get a serviceable QB in here this is a playoff team next year. I can't believe how many supposedly knowledgeable posters are already calling for a disaster before the draft, Free Agency, etc.

While I agree Smith may make the jets a playoff contender next year, it's a 5 year assurance of it winning the SB, that is not appealing to me, I've seen plenty of playoff teams with zero chance to win a SB, I want a chance to win a SB

I disagree, and I think it's even worse in this situation, given NY and Woodys reputation as a bad owner.

It's not unusual for a coach to be kept, but it is unusual for the forced keeping of the coach. The right way to do it is to say the new GM makes the call.

It's not unusual at all for new GM's to be stuck with old coaches. It's not really that clueless by Woody standards.

It's not unusual to be loved by anyone

It's not unusual to have fun with anyone

but when I see you hanging about with anyone

It's not unusual to see me cry,

oh I wanna' die

While I agree Smith may make the jets a playoff contender next year, it's a 5 year assurance of it winning the SB, that is not appealing to me, I've seen plenty of playoff teams with zero chance to win a SB, I want a chance to win a SB

Oh I don't want Smith for 5 years.... 3 at the most... draft the QB of the future next year and let them sit for a year or 2. Don't repeat the mistakes made with Sanchez.

There is zero chance it aids the GM search, you could say it does not hurt, which I strongly disagree with, but in no way does it aid, if the new GM wants Ryan, he keeps him, but the lack of a choice cannot possibly aid.

It might give a potential GM 2 years of slack instead of 1. If the Jets crash in 2013 and get reasonably respectable(8-9 wins or at least 7 and some obvious vim and vigor) in 2014(with or without Ryan), the GM will look like a genius.

You are still delusional. Keep the streak alive

You are calling for less wins next year even though:

- Revis will be back

- the LBer corps will be revamped

- Holmes and Keller will be back

- We'll have the 9th pick in the draft

- Sanchez will likely not be the starting QB

and I'm delusional...

Oh I don't want Smith for 5 years.... 3 at the most... draft the QB of the future next year and let them sit for a year or 2. Don't repeat the mistakes made with Sanchez.

DO not want to see the Jets make the same mistake the Kincks made with Ewing, rolling that contract over years into the future, instead of taking the hit and moving foward.

DO not want to see the Jets make the same mistake the Kincks made with Ewing, rolling that contract over years into the future, instead of taking the hit and moving foward.

I would suspect the new GM will be looking to cleanse the team of Tannys mistakes asap. I wouldn't think you can come in professing a new way of doing things then immediately make a Tanny-like move.

You are calling for less wins next year even though:

- Revis will be back

- the LBer corps will be revamped

- Holmes and Keller will be back

- We'll have the 9th pick in the draft

- Sanchez will likely not be the starting QB

and I'm delusional...

-True. But CB/DB's were the best part of our team this year by a long shot even without him. We still went 6-10. Do you really think adding a better CB wins us any more games?

-How? Scott will be gone and they will replace him with Demario Davis. Pace and Harris will still be starting, and depending on if we draft a pass rushing OLB or not, we will likely see Mcyntire start in Thomas's place. I don't see any major upgrades there. If anything, just less depth.

-Holmes, yes. And if we go get a new QB, he will probably be the same pain in the ass, selfish clown that he's always been. Keller is a FA, and given our cap situation - likely won't be back.

- Our biggest issue is offense, mainly QB. There are no QB's that I am comfortable with in the top 10 of this years draft. If we don't go OLB with that pick, we will likely trade down, looking to add some depth to the OL, WR, and LB corps.

- Not so sure about this yet. Who are we going to start instead? He will most certainly be on the roster still, we don't have the cap space to sign anyone good in FA, and if we draft someone, Sanchez will probably beat out any of the QBs in this draft class in TC this year anyway. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Sanchez behind C again this year.

Awesome post. I agree.

Not sure what's worse: that you put in the effort to type this stupid post, or that you felt the need to go back and add to this stupid post.

This means T0m has nothing.

I do not think Rex is even a small issue in the GM hunt unless someone has a real dislike for him.

-True. But CB/DB's were the best part of our team this year by a long shot even without him. We still went 6-10. Do you really think adding a better CB wins us any more games?

-How? Scott will be gone and they will replace him with Demario Davis. Pace and Harris will still be starting, and depending on if we draft a pass rushing OLB or not, we will likely see Mcyntire start in Thomas's place. I don't see any major upgrades there. If anything, just less depth.

-Holmes, yes. And if we go get a new QB, he will probably be the same pain in the ass, selfish clown that he's always been. Keller is a FA, and given our cap situation - likely won't be back.

- Our biggest issue is offense, mainly QB. There are no QB's that I am comfortable with in the top 10 of this years draft. If we don't go OLB with that pick, we will likely trade down, looking to add some depth to the OL, WR, and LB corps.

- Not so sure about this yet. Who are we going to start instead? He will most certainly be on the roster still, we don't have the cap space to sign anyone good in FA, and if we draft someone, Sanchez will probably beat out any of the QBs in this draft class in TC this year anyway. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Sanchez behind C again this year.

- I don't subscribe to Bitonis theory that Revis gives us 4 extra wins but I do believe when you pair him with Cromartie and take into account the maturation of Coples, Ellis, and Wilkerson you could see the type of D we'd hoped for this year.

- Scott will be gone which is addition by subtraction.. you can get a JAG for the league minimum to maintain or improve what Pace has done. Davis should be better next year plus they'll likely take a LB early in the draft. That should be a significant improvement over what we fielded this year.

- Hopefully Holmes found some humility during his hiatus.. probably not but we can hope. Kellers injury riddled season may be a blessing in disguise. Should allow us to bring him back at a reasonable cost.

- I think they'll restructure Mark and bring in Smith (hopefully). Cut ties with Mark next offseason and draft your QB of the future when the draft class is a lot more attractive.

Yes, I may be reaching, but consider the totality of the Jets situation.

Our pro bowl safety has said the Jets get no discount and he's going to the highest bidder, which we probably can't afford to be. This season is most likely going to be a failure.

I read a lot of these "throw the 2013 season and play for the #1 pick" threads and it makes no sense to me. Who is the franchise QB coming out in '14? And what guarantee is there that the Jets get the #1 overall pick?

If you look at what Pete Carroll is doing in SEA - he build the Defense, OL, and the culture. The QB came in year 3. I don't see why the Jets can't do something very similar over the next few seasons.

The Jets made the AFC Championship game 2 years in a row with a very weak QB. The key to both seasons was OL and defense. Same thing that the Texans, Seahawks, 49ers, and Bengals have. The next GM needs 2 to build a top 5 OL and find a DC that can take avg. talent and make it into a top 10 defense.

There is zero chance it aids the GM search, you could say it does not hurt, which I strongly disagree with, but in no way does it aid, if the new GM wants Ryan, he keeps him, but the lack of a choice cannot possibly aid.

If the most coveted new GM wants Ryan, then it aids the GM search, no?

Bullseye on Rex's back not the GM's to start.

These are two ways it aids in the GM search. You may not feel that way, and clearly you don't, but you're only looking at it through the prism of a Jets fan who hates Rex.

I read a lot of these "throw the 2013 season and play for the #1 pick" threads and it makes no sense to me. Who is the franchise QB coming out in '14? And what guarantee is there that the Jets get the #1 overall pick?

If you look at what Pete Carroll is doing in SEA - he build the Defense, OL, and the culture. The QB came in year 3. I don't see why the Jets can't do something very similar over the next few seasons.

The Jets made the AFC Championship game 2 years in a row with a very weak QB. The key to both seasons was OL and defense. Same thing that the Texans, Seahawks, 49ers, and Bengals have. The next GM needs 2 to build a top 5 OL and find a DC that can take avg. talent and make it into a top 10 defense.

I'm not saying "throw the season away" though that is the interpretation by some. I'm not saying to suck for a better draft pick next year. I'm saying they're likely going to suck based on circumstances beyond the new GM's control, unless we get lucky.

I'm saying we have over a dozen starters whose contracts are up and we don't have enough cap room to re-sign all of them. AND we have no QB and don't even have a backup QB.

We'll have this year's draft and (after some cuts) will have about $10-15M in cap space to sign or re-sign a starting QB, a backup QB, a starting RB, a starting WR, a starting TE, a starting LG, a starting RG, a starting RT, two starting OLBs, a starting ILB (unless Davis starts), two safeties, a kicker and a punter. AND have to look at what to do with Revis who isn't even running yet, since he's a UFA after 2013 and we can't franchise tag him.

I'm not saying we should try and suck. I'm saying it's likely to happen whether you want it to or not.

Yes, we COULD find 3 immediate starters in the draft, pick up a couple of FAs, have Davis step in and start at a high level, and have 1 or 2 current backups get better, and make the playoffs. Absolutely it can happen. But it probably won't.

to take the other side of this argument why is Tomasula a defense line coach gonna be better at defense than Rex? It's not like Gamble wants to bring in Chip Kelly. He's got positional guys not even coordinator all lined up why is that such a hot idea?

Archived