•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How keeping Rex might AID in our GM search

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#51 gangreenman

gangreenman

The Gamethread/chat Guy

• Members
  • 5,873 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

You are calling for less wins next year even though:

- Revis will be back
- the LBer corps will be revamped
- Holmes and Keller will be back
- We'll have the 9th pick in the draft
- Sanchez will likely not be the starting QB

and I'm delusional...

-True. But CB/DB's were the best part of our team this year by a long shot even without him. We still went 6-10. Do you really think adding a better CB wins us any more games?
-How? Scott will be gone and they will replace him with Demario Davis. Pace and Harris will still be starting, and depending on if we draft a pass rushing OLB or not, we will likely see Mcyntire start in Thomas's place. I don't see any major upgrades there. If anything, just less depth.
-Holmes, yes. And if we go get a new QB, he will probably be the same pain in the ass, selfish clown that he's always been. Keller is a FA, and given our cap situation - likely won't be back.
- Our biggest issue is offense, mainly QB. There are no QB's that I am comfortable with in the top 10 of this years draft. If we don't go OLB with that pick, we will likely trade down, looking to add some depth to the OL, WR, and LB corps.
- Not so sure about this yet. Who are we going to start instead? He will most certainly be on the roster still, we don't have the cap space to sign anyone good in FA, and if we draft someone, Sanchez will probably beat out any of the QBs in this draft class in TC this year anyway. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Sanchez behind C again this year.
Posted Image

ďThey asked what I was going to do in the off-season and I was like 'What do you mean, off-season?' Iím going to be at the facility...thatís my new home." - Mark Sanchez

#52 Integrity28

Integrity28

Told you so.

• Members
  • 34,266 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Makes us an early favorite in the Alex Smith Sweepstakes -- yeah I said it.

If they get a serviceable QB in here this is a playoff team next year. I can't believe how many supposedly knowledgeable posters are already calling for a disaster before the draft, Free Agency, etc.

I bet Rex and Gamble won't share that defeatist attitude.

Awesome post. I agree.

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#53 T0mShane

T0mShane

When it's over, that's the time I fall in love againlolo

• Members
  • 28,015 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Makes us an early favorite in the Alex Smith Sweepstakes -- yeah I said it.

"Alex Smith" "sweepstakes"?
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#54 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,710 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

"Alex Smith" "sweepstakes"?

This speaks volumes about the FA QB pool this year.

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#55 T0mShane

T0mShane

• Members
  • 28,015 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

This speaks volumes about the FA QB pool this year.

Also, Pac.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#56 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,710 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Also, Pac.

This is true. I didn't read who you where quoting but I should have figured him or Blackout

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#57 T0mShane

T0mShane

• Members
  • 28,015 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

This is true. I didn't read who you where quoting but I should have figured him or Blackout

BlackPac

#58 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Not sure what's worse: that you put in the effort to type this stupid post, or that you felt the need to go back and add to this stupid post.

This means T0m has nothing.

I do not think Rex is even a small issue in the GM hunt unless someone has a real dislike for him.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#59 T0mShane

T0mShane

• Members
  • 28,015 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

I do not think Rex is even a small issue in the GM hunt unless someone has a real dislike for him.

Sooooooooooo we just have to find a GM that likes Rex.

#60 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Sooooooooooo we just have to find a GM that likes Rex.

Oh no, what a challenge that must be. Haven't they seen the latest news?

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

#61 Lupz27

Lupz27

2nd year player looking for a breakout season.

• Members
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Was the Dolphins first season under Philbin a disaster?

I'm pretty sure the Phins were, and are still like 60 million under the cap, compared to 20 million over like the Jets

#62 T0mShane

T0mShane

• Members
  • 28,015 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Oh no, what a challenge that must be. Haven't they seen the latest news?

I want me one of those Kirk Ferentz-lovin' GMs.

#63 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

I want me one of those Kirk Ferentz-lovin' GMs.

I do too. I would much prefer that to a Tom Bumble**** DL coach just because his team is the latest fad in the NFL.

#64 Pac

Pac

shark jumper

• Members
  • 14,568 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

-True. But CB/DB's were the best part of our team this year by a long shot even without him. We still went 6-10. Do you really think adding a better CB wins us any more games?
-How? Scott will be gone and they will replace him with Demario Davis. Pace and Harris will still be starting, and depending on if we draft a pass rushing OLB or not, we will likely see Mcyntire start in Thomas's place. I don't see any major upgrades there. If anything, just less depth.
-Holmes, yes. And if we go get a new QB, he will probably be the same pain in the ass, selfish clown that he's always been. Keller is a FA, and given our cap situation - likely won't be back.
- Our biggest issue is offense, mainly QB. There are no QB's that I am comfortable with in the top 10 of this years draft. If we don't go OLB with that pick, we will likely trade down, looking to add some depth to the OL, WR, and LB corps.
- Not so sure about this yet. Who are we going to start instead? He will most certainly be on the roster still, we don't have the cap space to sign anyone good in FA, and if we draft someone, Sanchez will probably beat out any of the QBs in this draft class in TC this year anyway. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Sanchez behind C again this year.

- I don't subscribe to Bitonis theory that Revis gives us 4 extra wins but I do believe when you pair him with Cromartie and take into account the maturation of Coples, Ellis, and Wilkerson you could see the type of D we'd hoped for this year.

- Scott will be gone which is addition by subtraction.. you can get a JAG for the league minimum to maintain or improve what Pace has done. Davis should be better next year plus they'll likely take a LB early in the draft. That should be a significant improvement over what we fielded this year.

- Hopefully Holmes found some humility during his hiatus.. probably not but we can hope. Kellers injury riddled season may be a blessing in disguise. Should allow us to bring him back at a reasonable cost.

- I think they'll restructure Mark and bring in Smith (hopefully). Cut ties with Mark next offseason and draft your QB of the future when the draft class is a lot more attractive.

#65 LionelRichie

LionelRichie

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Yes, I may be reaching, but consider the totality of the Jets situation.

Our pro bowl safety has said the Jets get no discount and he's going to the highest bidder, which we probably can't afford to be. This season is most likely going to be a failure.

I read a lot of these "throw the 2013 season and play for the #1 pick" threads and it makes no sense to me. Who is the franchise QB coming out in '14? And what guarantee is there that the Jets get the #1 overall pick?

If you look at what Pete Carroll is doing in SEA - he build the Defense, OL, and the culture. The QB came in year 3. I don't see why the Jets can't do something very similar over the next few seasons.

The Jets made the AFC Championship game 2 years in a row with a very weak QB. The key to both seasons was OL and defense. Same thing that the Texans, Seahawks, 49ers, and Bengals have. The next GM needs 2 to build a top 5 OL and find a DC that can take avg. talent and make it into a top 10 defense.

#66 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 28,723 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

There is zero chance it aids the GM search, you could say it does not hurt, which I strongly disagree with, but in no way does it aid, if the new GM wants Ryan, he keeps him, but the lack of a choice cannot possibly aid.

If the most coveted new GM wants Ryan, then it aids the GM search, no?

Bullseye on Rex's back not the GM's to start.

These are two ways it aids in the GM search. You may not feel that way, and clearly you don't, but you're only looking at it through the prism of a Jets fan who hates Rex.

JetNation.com

#67 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 28,723 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

I read a lot of these "throw the 2013 season and play for the #1 pick" threads and it makes no sense to me. Who is the franchise QB coming out in '14? And what guarantee is there that the Jets get the #1 overall pick?

If you look at what Pete Carroll is doing in SEA - he build the Defense, OL, and the culture. The QB came in year 3. I don't see why the Jets can't do something very similar over the next few seasons.

The Jets made the AFC Championship game 2 years in a row with a very weak QB. The key to both seasons was OL and defense. Same thing that the Texans, Seahawks, 49ers, and Bengals have. The next GM needs 2 to build a top 5 OL and find a DC that can take avg. talent and make it into a top 10 defense.

I'm not saying "throw the season away" though that is the interpretation by some. I'm not saying to suck for a better draft pick next year. I'm saying they're likely going to suck based on circumstances beyond the new GM's control, unless we get lucky.

I'm saying we have over a dozen starters whose contracts are up and we don't have enough cap room to re-sign all of them. AND we have no QB and don't even have a backup QB.

We'll have this year's draft and (after some cuts) will have about $10-15M in cap space to sign or re-sign a starting QB, a backup QB, a starting RB, a starting WR, a starting TE, a starting LG, a starting RG, a starting RT, two starting OLBs, a starting ILB (unless Davis starts), two safeties, a kicker and a punter. AND have to look at what to do with Revis who isn't even running yet, since he's a UFA after 2013 and we can't franchise tag him.

I'm not saying we should try and suck. I'm saying it's likely to happen whether you want it to or not.

Yes, we COULD find 3 immediate starters in the draft, pick up a couple of FAs, have Davis step in and start at a high level, and have 1 or 2 current backups get better, and make the playoffs. Absolutely it can happen. But it probably won't.

JetNation.com

#68 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,136 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

to take the other side of this argument why is Tomasula a defense line coach gonna be better at defense than Rex? It's not like Gamble wants to bring in Chip Kelly. He's got positional guys not even coordinator all lined up why is that such a hot idea?

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#69 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,136 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

- I don't subscribe to Bitonis theory that Revis gives us 4 extra wins

I don't think I ever said 4. but it's more than zero extra wins. it's all a hypothetical but when the team's best player goes down the season is usually over.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#70 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

So basically I should just hope for hockey?

#71 jack48

jack48

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 4,870 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Philbin didn't have greater than 50% of the Dolphins starting roster not under contract in a season they had no cap room and not even so much as a backup QB. Oh yeah, and the QB prospects this year supposedly suck ass.

Really, this situation is pretty unique. The light at the end of the tunnel is being the GM in 2014 without a lame-duck 2013 GM screwing up future years to try to save his own skin. So at least we got the firing Tannenbaum part right.

A new GM isn't as invested in hating Rex as much as many here are. At the very worst, he'd see Rex as an incompetent clown (if he even feels that way at all). If 2013 is a mulligan year, why set up yourself and your own guy to take blame for it?

Looking at the situation as a non-Jets fan, being force-fed Rex for 1 season might be a good thing because this force-feeding is public.

Maybe.

So, pile up some draft picks for this year and next year, and then go after som FAs next year?

#72 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

rebanmadmike1

• Members
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

to take the other side of this argument why is Tomasula a defense line coach gonna be better at defense than Rex? It's not like Gamble wants to bring in Chip Kelly. He's got positional guys not even coordinator all lined up why is that such a hot idea?

I would not be on board with another defensive coach. Thats not 2012 football.
Tank for Teddy.

#73 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

You are calling for less wins next year even though:

- Revis will be back
- the LBer corps will be revamped
- Holmes and Keller will be back
- We'll have the 9th pick in the draft
- Sanchez will likely not be the starting QB

and I'm delusional...

No lock on Revis. New GM is going to need to decide whether he wants to try and resign him or trade him, a decision that will probably be made before the draft. Revis could easily be gone for picks.

Probably losing a couple old LBs, but there's no guarantee of an upgrade.

I'll happily give you 3 & 4...

Unfortunately, there's really no telling yet on Sanchez.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#74 Pac

Pac

shark jumper

• Members
  • 14,568 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

No lock on Revis. New GM is going to need to decide whether he wants to try and resign him or trade him, a decision that will probably be made before the draft. Revis could easily be gone for picks.

Unless it's an RG3 or Carson Palmer like return I'm not sure a new GM will be able to strut in and justify a trade. We are talking about one of the greatest Jets of all time.

I'm hoping Revis takes a 2 year, incentive laden "prove it" contract similar to Landry's 1 yr deal. The Jets ace in the hole will be knowing that no team will sign Revis to a monster contract without first seeing if he can still play like the best CB in the game.

Works for both sides.. Revis can get his money provided he plays well and the Jets will be able to fetch a much better package if they decide to trade him after next year. It also gives the team a chance to get to 14' which from what I'm reading is when all of you are saying there will be much more money available.

Cromartie and the rest of the DB's stepping up the way they did should help the Jets as well by showing Revis and his agents they can survive without him.

If Gamble (or whoever) moonwalks in and trades Revis for a pick or 2 they'll get crucified.

#75 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 21,468 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

Unless it's an RG3 or Carson Palmer like return I'm not sure a new GM will be able to strut in and justify a trade. We are talking about one of the greatest Jets of all time.

I'm hoping Revis takes a 2 year, incentive laden "prove it" contract similar to Landry's 1 yr deal. The Jets ace in the hole will be knowing that no team will sign Revis to a monster contract without first seeing if he can still play like the best CB in the game.

Works for both sides.. Revis can get his money provided he plays well and the Jets will be able to fetch a much better package if they decide to trade him after next year. It also gives the team a chance to get to 14' which from what I'm reading is when all of you are saying there will be much more money available.

Cromartie and the rest of the DB's stepping up the way they did should help the Jets as well by showing Revis and his agents they can survive without him.

If Gamble (or whoever) moonwalks in and trades Revis for a pick or 2 they'll get crucified.

While a potential contract at this point might be reduced by a slight amount due to the injury, there's no reason to think it will have a significant impact on what they can get him to agree to and that's because one major factor here that influences all of this is Revis' confidence. Any of us who have listened to Revis over these past 6 years knows full well how highly he thinks of himself as a player, and I don't think there's any doubt he has all the confidence in the world that after a full year of recovery, he'll be as good as he ever was. He's essentially already been quoted as saying as much. If that is the case, he will have no incentive to put himself into a situation that doesn't pay him what he feels he deserves after this year. He'll probably know better than to think holding out or demanding a new contract this year will get him anywhere, but do you really think he doesn't see the opportunity available to him by coming back next year, playing at the level he has in the past, and then becoming a FA (which the Jets can do nothing to stop)?

Revis hitting FA after a big year is his most sure-fire guarantee to cash in big time and we all know that's his #1 concern. So the question becomes, how much is Revis going to need in order to lock him up now, before he's proven himself coming off of the injury? If it's a number beyond what our GM is willing to pay, and knowing full well that the number is only going to go up from there (barring another injury or a poor season of play), how can you not at least consider the possibility of trading him? If the Jets find themselves in a position where all signs point to Revis being gone in a year, and there's a good enough offer on the table from another team, at what point do you realize that what is essentially a one year rental of a player coming off an injury simply isn't worth passing on that offer?
By day he's the (not so) mild-mannered Bleedin Green, but by night...

TL;DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users