If Jets sign GM Gamble how you think QB situation plays out?

SouthernJet

Smith will not be cheap because so many teams need a QB.

Signing him would be a big mistake, he's average, nothing more.

The fact that he lost his job to a second year QB on a team expected to compete for a SB should tell us everything we need to know.

yeah that Jim Harbaugh had his one year of genius and has now reverted to idiot. Smith played very well in the playoffs last year and won a shoot out vs Drew Brees then was having a 25 TD 10 Int season this year and Harbaugh dumped him for a second year player with no playoff experience on a team contending for a SB. Dumb beyond belief. Kap may very well be the better long term solution at QB but you simply do not make that change on a team currently contending for a SB. I was rooting for the Niners this year but I think the move Harbaugh pulled on Smith when the guy has finally settled down was cheap. I think they are the best over all team in the NFL but I hope they lose so I can laugh in Harbaughs dumb ****ing face. I will be pulling hard for Seattle team has huge momentum going into the playoffs and that defense is really tough Wilson is fantastic.

yeah that Jim Harbaugh had his one year of genius and has now reverted to idiot. Smith played very well in the playoffs last year and won a shoot out vs Drew Brees then was having a 25 TD 10 Int season this year and Harbaugh dumped him for a second year player with no playoff experience on a team contending for a SB. Dumb beyond belief. Kap may very well be the better long term solution at QB but you simply do not make that change on a team currently contending for a SB. I was rooting for the Niners this year but I think the move Harbaugh pulled on Smith when the guy has finally settled down was cheap. I think they are the best over all team in the NFL but I hope they lose so I can laugh in Harbaughs dumb ****ing face. I will be pulling hard for Seattle team has huge momentum going into the playoffs and that defense is really tough Wilson is fantastic.

I hope nobody forwards this intelligent rant to Jim, it would be a shame if he lost sleep during his playoff run. Blackout will be positive reping this soon.

Those mediocre QBs sure do hold a special place in your heart, huh?

I'll be happy going into the new season with just about anyone as long as it isn’t Sanchez. The main reason I wasn’t calling for Rex’s head with everyone else is because I want to see what he can do with a competent QB. Now we may not get one, and I may never see it, but I just know which QB we absolutely cannot have pencilled in as starter – Mark Sanchez. If we do, next season is a complete write off and Rex may as well start interviewing for DC positions in October.

Regardless of the route we go, I’ll be content, just get Sanchez off the team. Give me a rookie, Smith, Moore, Romo whoever. If we do sign a veteran then we obviously believe we can win now which I’d rather see us try rather than tanking. This league, anyone can turn it around quickly.

I hope nobody forwards this intelligent rant to Jim, it would be a shame if he lost sleep during his playoff run. Blackout will be positive reping this soon.

Those mediocre QBs sure do hold a special place in your heart, huh?

Like I said, if you guys bothered to read, I think Kap may very well be a better long term solution but right now Smith was playing some damn good football and it was better than average especially in last years playoffs. Add that to the fact you know the guy hardly ever turns the ball over and your in much better shape going into the playoffs. Lets see how Kapernick does in a shootout vs Rodgers or vs a Seattle defense if they get by the Soft Falcons defense.

They both played 8 games Smith had 3 more passing TD's so what does that make Kapernick ? Average ? Oh wait he runs the ball which ALWAYS seems to pay huge dividends in the playoffs right ?

I'll be happy going into the new season with just about anyone as long as it isn’t Sanchez. The main reason I wasn’t calling for Rex’s head with everyone else is because I want to see what he can do with a competent QB. Now we may not get one, and I may never see it, but I just know which QB we absolutely cannot have pencilled in as starter – Mark Sanchez. If we do, next season is a complete write off and Rex may as well start interviewing for DC positions in October.

Regardless of the route we go, I’ll be content, just get Sanchez off the team. Give me a rookie, Smith, Moore, Romo whoever. If we do sign a veteran then we obviously believe we can win now which I’d rather see us try rather than tanking. This league, anyone can turn it around quickly.

you know deep down with the money Sanchez is owed he will be starting next year, there will be no QB competition. Either way, no matter what happens, this team does not have the money to bring in viable skill players to be any good on offense anyway so why drag another QB into the mix ? We already handled one QB like horsesh*t so might as well finish beating him into the ground then dumping him and make the changes in 2014 all it can do is insure us another decent draft pick or maybe a couple if our new GM can work some magic and actully use our picks to get more picks and build an offense.

you know deep down with the money Sanchez is owed he will be starting next year, there will be no QB competition. Either way, no matter what happens, this team does not have the money to bring in viable skill players to be any good on offense anyway so why drag another QB into the mix ? We already handled one QB like horsesh*t so might as well finish beating him into the ground then dumping him and make the changes in 2014 all it can do is insure us another decent draft pick or maybe a couple if our new GM can work some magic and actully use our picks to get more picks and build an offense.

No. This is asinine thinking. You can’t go back to Sanchez under any circumstances. I’d prefer if he was cut loose, but even if you have to keep him he can literally never play. Once we went to McIlroy was all but confirmed as done, although it should have been done long before that.

We have competent players on offense, not great skill players by any means but decent, the line isn’t far away either. If we could get a competent QB there’s no reason this offense can’t be middle of the back, it will at the very least be better than the historically awful excuse for a unit they fielded last season. Sanchez is the worst starting QB in the league, it’s impossible to justify playing him again. Even if you want to tank it borders on abusive to stick him out there in front of the home fans week in week out. There’s a human rights issue there.

Edit, no idea why that post came out so retarded.

No. This is asinine thinking. You can’t go back to Sanchez under any circumstances. I’d prefer if he was cut loose, but even if you have to keep him he can literally never play. Once we went to McIlroy was all but confirmed as done, although it should have been done long before that.

We have competent players on offense, not great skill players by any means but decent, the line isn’t far away either. If we could get a competent QB there’s no reason this offense can’t be middle of the back, it will at the very least be better than the historically awful excuse for a unit they fielded last season. Sanchez is the worst starting QB in the league, it’s impossible to justify playing him again. Even if you want to tank it borders on abusive to stick him out there in front of the home fans week in week out. There’s a human rights issue there.

agree

What line and what players on offense? Here are the offensive players presently under contract for 2013:

Mark Sanchez

Tim Tebow

Greg McElroy

Bilal Powell

Joe McKnight

Santonio Holmes

Stephen Hill

Jeremy Kerley

Clyde Gates

Jeff Cumberland

Konrad Reuland

And here's our OL:

D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Nick Mangold

Vladimir Ducasse

-- end of list --

so you say the Jets who signed receivers that were dumped from other teams practice squads are competent ? not to mention we have no RT no LG a RG close to retirement and an over rated LT and our Center coming off the worst year of his career due to being surrounded by inferior player's yes including the QB. We owe Sanchez a lot of money and he is probably going to play .... Im not saying thats right or wrong personally at this stage I would prefer him and Holmes and a few others OFF the team but I know deep down thats probably not going to happen. Call it assanine all you want but this team has been decimated by an Idiot GM and a bigger Idiot HC and we will probably have to deal with the ramifications of that for one maybe 2 more years AT BEST.

Don't shoot the messenger here Irish its just my opinion on how the Jets will handle this Im not saying I agree but not many teams cut players and take 8 and 19 miliion dollar cap hits. They suck it up and play them for the remaining year and thats what the Jets will probably do.

What line and what players on offense? Here are the offensive players presently under contract for 2013:

Mark Sanchez

Tim Tebow

Greg McElroy

Bilal Powell

Joe McKnight

Santonio Holmes

Stephen Hill

Jeremy Kerley

Clyde Gates

Jeff Cumberland

Konrad Reuland

And here's our OL:

D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Nick Mangold

Vladimir Ducasse

-- end of list --

what a stellar ****ing group. I think at this stage The only players I think we should keep are Powell Mangold Greene on the cheap and some of the obvious ones like Kerley, Hill ... . This offense needs a complete over haul and thats why I think we should start looking for a QB next year rather than this year UNLESS there is someone out there that the organization simply must have and I dont see that. Grabbing some QB in the drafts mid rounds hoping you get lucky is always a good option.

Like I said, if you guys bothered to read, I think Kap may very well be a better long term solution but right now Smith was playing some damn good football and it was better than average especially in last years playoffs. Add that to the fact you know the guy hardly ever turns the ball over and your in much better shape going into the playoffs. Lets see how Kapernick does in a shootout vs Rodgers or vs a Seattle defense if they get by the Soft Falcons defense.

They both played 8 games Smith had 3 more passing TD's so what does that make Kapernick ? Average ? Oh wait he runs the ball which ALWAYS seems to pay huge dividends in the playoffs right ?

I bothered to read, I just wanted to bust your balls anyway. Regardless of any of this, I still don't want Smith anywhere near this team. That's not to say he wouldn't be a massive upgrade to this team's QB position, but the last thing the Jets need to do is end up locking themselves into a long-term commitment with a QB who simply isn't good enough to get the job done in the long run. We've wasted enough years of this team's time with that before and in the end, half a season isn't anywhere near enough to change my mind about 7 years of mediocrity, and it shouldn't be for the Jets either. Truth be told, I give the 9ers all the credit in the world for having the balls to make this move despite all of the crap I'm sure they knew they were going to catch for it. As far as the playoffs go, I have no idea what you were watching that made you so enamored with Smith's playoff performance last year, but outside of one admittedly impressive quarter (which wouldn't have even been needed if not for his crap performance in the first 3 quarters of that game), he was one of the 9ers biggest weaknesses. While there may be a bit more risk, I think the upside with Kaepernick is much higher.

Oh, and btw, Kaepernick has scored 15 total TDs in 7 starts while Smith scored 13 in 9 starts. Funny how when you were in the midst of your endless defense of Sanchez, rushing TDs were gold and always sure to be included in every discussion but are now immediately dismissed the moment they don't support your position. Plus, for all your talk of lack of turnovers, you managed to neglect to bring up that Smith had 6 turnovers on the season while Kaepernick had 5. Both great numbers mind you, but does nothing to support your notion that Smith would have the 9ers in such significantly better shape. Not to mention that little fact that it took Smith 8 years (as in, this season) to have a season as good as Kaepernick's second year in the league / first year starting.

so you say the Jets who signed receivers that were dumped from other teams practice squads are competent ? not to mention we have no RT no LG a RG close to retirement and an over rated LT and our Center coming off the worst year of his career due to being surrounded by inferior player's yes including the QB. We owe Sanchez a lot of money and he is probably going to play .... Im not saying thats right or wrong personally at this stage I would prefer him and Holmes and a few others OFF the team but I know deep down thats probably not going to happen. Call it assanine all you want but this team has been decimated by an Idiot GM and a bigger Idiot HC and we will probably have to deal with the ramifications of that for one maybe 2 more years AT BEST.

Don't shoot the messenger here Irish its just my opinion on how the Jets will handle this Im saying I agree but not many teams cut players and take 8 and 19 miliion dollar cap hits. They suck it up and play them for the remaining year and thats what the Jets will probably do.

If we go into the season with Holmes, Edwards and Kerley at WR, then yes that’s a very competent receiving core. Especially if Keller could get his ****ing head out of his ass, although can’t say I’d be against getting rid.

The team isn’t in as bad a state as you think – Your opinions on the line are OTT in the same way those who sugarcoat it (3/5 ELITE!) tend to be OTT too, they’re a middle of the pack group, when you look around the league, look even at some of the playoff teams you soon realise they have a lot of the same issues we have and yet mange to get by. We still have a lot of assets on this team.

If you want to suck up the cap hit fair enough. Do it, I’ll understand it. You just can’t play him. Can’t. Play McIlroy, play Tebow, play Herman ****ing Edwards I don’t care. The Jets cannot start Sanchez in 2013. And they won’t.

My priorities in 2013 –

QB in free agency. Do whatever you must with Sanchez, just keep him away from the starters.

Resign Landry, Moore, Slauson and Edwards.

Draft a pass rusher in the 1st, if there’s an exceptional one available ( I don’t know ANY prospects, haven’t kept track at all) then grab one at 9, maybe move up 1 or 2 spots if needs must. If not, trade down, I always like that move and get more picks.

Draft a running back with some ****ing talent in the 2nd. I’m amazed, that in the deepest position in the draft, a position where it’s pretty much night and day in terms of who has it and who doesn’t, we ****ing constantly pick the same mediocre backs with no stand out skills at all, it’s embarrassing.

That’s obviously not everything, just the moves I’d put first. **** everything else, it’s depressing to think about. If we done those things which we no doubt wont, I think we could be a decent team.

I bothered to read, I just wanted to bust your balls anyway. Regardless of any of this, I still don't want Smith anywhere near this team. That's not to say he wouldn't be a massive upgrade to this team's QB position, but the last thing the Jets need to do is end up locking themselves into a long-term commitment with a QB who simply isn't good enough to get the job done in the long run. We've wasted enough years of this team's time with that before and in the end, half a season isn't anywhere near enough to change my mind about 7 years of mediocrity, and it shouldn't be for the Jets either. Truth be told, I give the 9ers all the credit in the world for having the balls to make this move despite all of the crap I'm sure they knew they were going to catch for it. As far as the playoffs go, I have no idea what you were watching that made you so enamored with Smith's playoff performance last year, but outside of one admittedly impressive quarter (which wouldn't have even been needed if not for his crap performance in the first 3 quarters of that game), he was one of the 9ers biggest weaknesses. While there may be a bit more risk, I think the upside with Kaepernick is much higher.

Oh, and btw, Kaepernick has scored 15 total TDs in 7 starts while Smith scored 13 in 9 starts. Funny how when you were in the midst of your endless defense of Sanchez, rushing TDs were gold and always sure to be included in every discussion but are now immediately dismissed the moment they don't support your position. Plus, for all your talk of lack of turnovers, you managed to neglect to bring up that Smith had 6 turnovers on the season while Kaepernick had 5. Both great numbers mind you, but does nothing to support your notion that Smith would have the 9ers in such significantly better shape. Not to mention that little fact that it took Smith 8 years (as in, this season) to have a season as good as Kaepernick's second year in the league / first year starting.

BG I dont want Smith here either Im fully aware of what type of QB he is and I think he was a good fit for SF because that offense has a lot of talent and they can run the ball as well opening up play action. Why in hell would Smith want to come to this hot mess ? The guy does not fit here . Why would any QB want to come here knowing we have major skill issues and a Santonio Holmes all fresh and ready to bitch :)

My arguement is Smith definetely stepped up in last years playoffs and when he had too he put up big number's the key in the playoffs is playing smart and protecting the football Smith has proven he can do it on the big stage and would have been in the SB if not for two idiotic fumble by Mike Williams vs the lucky ass giants. Lets sit back and see if Kapernick can pull it off.

Mark Sanchez

Tim Tebow

Greg McElroy

Bilal Powell

Joe McKnight

Santonio Holmes

Stephen Hill

Jeremy Kerley

Clyde Gates

Jeff Cumberland

Konrad Reuland

And here's our OL:

D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Nick Mangold

Vladimir Ducasse

-- end of list --

I was under the impression that you can resign players.

Oh so we're going to camp with 11 players on offense? cool.

Hardly. But I don't make the assumption that everyone is returning either. Anyone decent will also get offers elsewhere and thanks to deals like the ones for Sanchez and Holmes and Harris (among others), and the team's likely desire to lock up Revis past 2013, we can't afford to be the high bidder anymore, even for a moderately-priced player.

We'll see what happens, of course. But it doesn't look good right now. And it certainly doesn't look like we have half an OL or a QB or a RB or a TE. Nor does it look like we can afford to get into any bidding wars, and our HC will be on the hot seat.

Hardly. But I don't make the assumption that everyone is returning either. Anyone decent will also get offers elsewhere and thanks to deals like the ones for Sanchez and Holmes and Harris (among others), and the team's likely desire to lock up Revis past 2013, we can't afford to be the high bidder anymore, even for a moderately-priced player.

We'll see what happens, of course. But it doesn't look good right now. And it certainly doesn't look like we have half an OL or a QB or a RB or a TE. Nor does it look like we can afford to get into any bidding wars, and our HC will be on the hot seat.

I tend not to get disheartened with cap space, or lack thereof. Every year we're in the dreaded cap hell and every year money is freed up with restructures etc. I'll wait till late April to worry.

It truly is a sad state of affairs, although I doubt the team is all that concerned about TE. For starters, by all reports it sounds like the team likes Cumberland far more than they really have any right to, and truth be told I think if the Jets use the franchise tag at all this offseason (which they very well may not), Keller is the most likely candidate for it, given that it can't be used on Landry and TE has the cheapest tag price outside of K/P.

As far as the OL goes, hopefully the new GM changes this, but it looked quite apparent that the Jets original plan under Tanny was to bring back whichever of Slauson or Moore came cheaper and hand the other spot over to Vlad.

I tend not to get disheartened with cap space, or lack thereof. Every year we're in the dreaded cap hell and every year money is freed up with restructures etc. I'll wait till late April to worry.

I think the reason for concern being greater this year is that the new GM will likely have absolutely no interest in restructuring contracts. With the exception of perhaps a few guys, he is going to have no motivation to want to make any greater commitment to these guys that he had no hand in bringing in with a variety of other bonuses and guarantees, mortgaging the future to make things a little bit better for this year. That's exactly what got the Jets into this mess in the first place (see: Sanchez, Scott, Pace, etc.)

I think the reason for concern being greater this year is that the new GM will likely have absolutely no interest in restructuring contracts. With the exception of perhaps a few guys, he is going to have no motivation to want to make any greater commitment to these guys that he had no hand in bringing in with a variety of other bonuses and guarantees, mortgaging the future to make things a little bit better for this year. That's exactly what got the Jets into this mess in the first place (see: Sanchez, Scott, Pace, etc.)

Yes, but there is room already for 2014. That will be used by the new GM either this year or next.

Archived