Potential hires from GM Gamble

SouthernJet

DC - Tomsula (currently DL coach, rumored as Gamble's HC prospect would be in-house replacement for Rex next year)

TE - Delanie Walker, he'd be a much needed blocking, pass-catching weapon for us, should be a FA this off-season.

QB - Alex Smith, would be a solid starter who passes for accuracy, low turnovers for next 3 years while prospects are drafted and developed, immediately solves QB problem if we get this year's version. Would need to trade for him.

S - Dashon Goldson, We will need a safety again... This guy can play, should still be a FA.

Nice plan (seriously) BUT where do we get the cap space to sign all 3?

Going from position coach to coordinator, which is what people are suggesting, is in fact a promotion. Not a lateral move.

Rex picked Sporano.

I think that makes you 100% incorrect. LOL

Actually I think he's right unless its changed recently. Doesn't make sense logically, but there's only 2 levels, hc and not hc. The only exception is making someone the assistant head coach, which is also a promotion.

Actually I think he's right unless its changed recently. Doesn't make sense logically, but there's only 2 levels, hc and not hc. The only exception is making someone the assistant head coach, which is also a promotion.

I'm looking at it from the standpoint of the individual managing a career path... you cannot tell me that ascending from position coach to coordinator is not viewed as a promotion.

Not disputing that. But the NFL considers position coach to coordinator a later move.

Yeah, I gotcha - I didn't understand that was what he was getting at. I don't always read. LOL

Come play in SMC's Boardwalk Empire game, btw... been too long since you played.

Yeah, I gotcha - I didn't understand that was what he was getting at. I don't always read. LOL

Come play in SMC's Boardwalk Empire game, btw... been too long since you played.

Hopefully soon. For the past few months I've only had a company phone and company laptop and nothing personal... so as much as I want to go call you all a bunch of dumb gays, probably wouldn't be good for my career. Just bought my own laptop but going in vacation in 10 days. So long story short... soon.

I'm looking at it from the standpoint of the individual managing a career path... you cannot tell me that ascending from position coach to coordinator is not viewed as a promotion.

Not disputing that. But the NFL considers position coach to coordinator a later move.

Your both right!

A team (the Jets) can ask another team permission (49ers) to speak with ANY coach on their staff for a possible coaching position, as long as it IS a promotion, BUT if it is not for a HC job, the team (49ers) can grant permission, or decline permission. This situation is handled differently from team to team, some coaches have different opinions on how to handle these situations, some always grant permission, because they don't want to hold back a colleague to better their future, and also if they don't then sometimes those coaches become disgruntled (see Bill Callahan). Most times when permission is not granted the coach doesn't want to leave, or is told he is in line for bigger things here so we won't grant it, if they don't get said bigger things they usually leave when contract is up.

So, to understand, you people not only want to bring Rex back on a lame-duck deal, but you also want to give his defense to the guy whom the GM wants to replace him with when the whole team collapses. And this is good strategy.

Strategy? If Rex is back I wish only to be entertained with next years train wreck

Strategy? If Rex is back I wish only to be entertained with next years train wreck

If the GM does not want Rex fired him this year do not hire his replacement a year early , I had enought of the the Teebow thing this year , let Rex hire his own D man and GM hire the OF man

DC - Tomsula (currently DL coach, rumored as Gamble's HC prospect would be in-house replacement for Rex next year)

TE - Delanie Walker, he'd be a much needed blocking, pass-catching weapon for us, should be a FA this off-season.

QB - Alex Smith, would be a solid starter who passes for accuracy, low turnovers for next 3 years while prospects are drafted and developed, immediately solves QB problem if we get this year's version. Would need to trade for him.

S - Dashon Goldson, We will need a safety again... This guy can play, should still be a FA.

With the ninth pick in the 2013 draft, the Jets select Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame.

Go back and look at how many teams draft TE's in the top 10. It NEVER happens because the position isn't worth the value of that pick.

Better, trade down five to ten spots and take him while picking up a second or a couple of thirds.

With the added emphasis on the position more and more TEs will be going higher and higher in the draft.

Things change my friend. RBs are now considered a dime a dozen when they used to be the single most valued position in the draft. You have to be a really special talent to go top ten now when guys like Ki-Jana Carter and Blair Thomas used to routinely go in the top ten.

Better, trade down five to ten spots and take him while picking up a second or a couple of thirds.

With the added emphasis on the position more and more TEs will be going higher and higher in the draft.

Things change my friend. RBs are now considered a dime a dozen when they used to be the single most valued position in the draft. You have to be a really special talent to go top ten now when guys like Ki-Jana Carter and Blair Thomas used to routinely go in the top ten.

Adrian Peterson, Trent Richardson and Marshawn Lynch too.

When you have as many holes as the Jets do, you can't be spending first round picks on TE's.

Go back and look at how many teams draft TE's in the top 10. It NEVER happens because the position isn't worth the value of that pick.

Not promoting the idea, but Vernon Davis and Kellen Winslow Jr both went #6 overall, and the Vikes took Kyle Rudolph (Notre Dame) at #11 two years ago. Attitudes change over time. I think the Pats TE dominated offense may be changing the perception of the position, as well as impact players like Gates or Gonzalez over the years.

Never used to see a safety go high, either, but in recent years Eric Berry and Sean Taylor went #5, LaRon Landry went #6 (the year the Jets took Revis at #14)...

The league evolves, so do drafting habits.

Not promoting the idea, but Vernon Davis and Kellen Winslow Jr both went #6 overall, and the Vikes took Kyle Rudolph (Notre Dame) at #11 two years ago. Attitudes change over time. I think the Pats TE dominated offense may be changing the perception of the position, as well as impact players like Gates or Gonzalez over the years.

Never used to see a safety go high, either, but in recent years Eric Berry and Sean Taylor went #5, LaRon Landry went #6 (the year the Jets took Revis at #14)...

The league evolves, so do drafting habits.

Yeah and all three of those TE's were bad picks.

With all the holes on this team, we aren't spending a top ten pick on TE. No matter how good he is. I just don't see it.

Not when a Gamble guy is FA and can fill the TE need for us, allowing the pick to be used for greater area of need.

Yeah and all three of those TE's were bad picks.

Like your argument, these things evolve.

Any particular reason you want Eifert that early?

I think Eifert would have been a top 20 pick had he come out last year. Dude's a complete TE. He's a big play machine. He's basically a smart Gronkowski.

If we could trade down 5-10 spots and still get him it would be ideal.

However, if Jarvis Jones by some miracle drops to number 9 like I've seen in a couple of mocks the Jets would be insane to pass him up.

Archived