• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#26 Stonehands

Stonehands

Jet Fan

• Members
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

I like this hire over an assistant stepping up for his first HC job. At least Marrone has been a head coach before and understands what it entails from a delegation perspective.

#27 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,630 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

This keeps my Hunt/Ferentz/Whisenhunt/Pettine group alive btw. It's totally going to happen.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#28 JoeWillie

JoeWillie

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

My daughter goes to Syracuse.

Sorry to see him go ... thought he had the program turned in the right direction. SU played pretty well this year and could have easily won 2 more games against some top teams.

Nassib to Bills? :winking0001:

#29 SweetLee83

SweetLee83

LETS GO BUFFALO!

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

According to Schefter on ESPN this morning, Marrone was the most sought after coach, ahead of Chip Kelly, for the teams left with openings.

I like that he was working under Sean Payton when he was with the Saints. I also like that it's a fresh new face here, not a retread that's already been canned from a NFL head coaching gig.

He managed to take a horrendous college program like Syaruce and get them into bowl games and winning them. They were in the bottom of FBS before he got there. He also has head coaching expierence because of it.

We could have done a lot worse. Not sure what true better options there were. Lovie Smith has missed the playoffs 5 of the last 6 seasons, and his offenses are embarassing. He has plenty of flaws too. Chip Kelly can't make up his mind, and now Cleveland has given up on him.

#30 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,261 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Sorry to see him go ... thought he had the program turned in the right direction. SU played pretty well this year and could have easily won 2 more games against some top teams.

I've heard people here talking about us taking Nassib. Is anyone actually projecting him to go first round?

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#31 Blackout

Blackout

Circle Of Bosses

• Banned
  • 32,203 posts
  • Locationhome

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

this guy was 25-25 in college

yeah, the Bills are still a bargain-bin shopping team :D
"i'll rock forever....or at least until the Jets win the Superbowl" - Chino XL (1995)

#32 Thai Jet

Thai Jet

Climbing Chemical Dude

• Members
  • 31,253 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

I'm pretty surprised by this. I know he was talked about as a candidate, but figured Whisenhunt or Lovie would nab this job.

That's what you get for thinking they'd do the smart thing. There's a reason they haven't made the playoffs this century.
Summiting is optional - getting down is mandatory (Ed Viesturs) LA LAKERS - 16 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS
ALABAMA . 15 time NATIONAL CHAMPIONS . ROLL TIDE !!

#33 Thai Jet

Thai Jet

Climbing Chemical Dude

• Members
  • 31,253 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

11-23 in the big east gets you an NFL job? Really?

Apparently yes. ;)
Summiting is optional - getting down is mandatory (Ed Viesturs) LA LAKERS - 16 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS

#34 Thai Jet

Thai Jet

Climbing Chemical Dude

• Members
  • 31,253 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

That's the thinking out here. Should be interesting to see how this move effects their draft .

#35 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,516 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

According to Schefter on ESPN this morning, Marrone was the most sought after coach, ahead of Chip Kelly, for the teams left with openings.

he was in play for the Eagles' job too

this is the state of the HC market. Marrone is a hot name.

Rex Ryan is a very good NFL head coach. especially when you measure him against his peers (not Parcells... or mythical offensive savior that's gonna turn Sanchez or Mike Glennon into Johnny Unitas)

Edited by bitonti, 06 January 2013 - 01:55 PM.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#36 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

• Members
  • 6,261 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

he was in play for the Eagles' job too

this is the state of the HC market. Marrone is a hot name.

Rex Ryan is a very good NFL head coach.

I don't understand how you reached this conclusion. He's a very good NFL coach, he has in no way proved he's a good HC to this point.

Edited by SayNoToDMC, 06 January 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#37 JoeWillie

JoeWillie

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

I've heard people here talking about us taking Nassib. Is anyone actually projecting him to go first round?

I don't think so ... not that high ... middle rounds maybe.

As I said, my daughter is a freshmen there, so I watched alot of their games, even went to the Pitt game at the Dome, as that was Parents Weekend. I was kind of impressed with Nassib this year. He made some big mistakes early in the season, but he got much better as the season went on. He essentially carried their offense for most of the year running "up tempo", no huddle. Lots of zone reads in the running game, west coast based passing game... pretty efficient.

As far as his potential in the Pros, I question the arm strength a little bit and the ability to squeeze throws into tighter windows in the pros, but he's a very gutsy kid who's much better than people thought when the season started.

Probably later rounds, 3rd or 4th or later.

#38 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 18,202 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

I don't think so ... not that high ... middle rounds maybe.

As I said, my daughter is a freshmen there, so I watched alot of their games, even went to the Pitt game at the Dome, as that was Parents Weekend. I was kind of impressed with Nassib this year. He made some big mistakes early in the season, but he got much better as the season went on. He essentially carried their offense for most of the year running "up tempo", no huddle. Lots of zone reads in the running game, west coast based passing game... pretty efficient.

As far as his potential in the Pros, I question the arm strength a little bit and the ability to squeeze throws into tighter windows in the pros, but he's a very gutsy kid who's much better than people thought when the season started.

Probably later rounds, 3rd or 4th or later.

I've seen him mocked to the Jets in the second. If he does well at the combine, he could do better than that. Once QBs get some buzz going, they generally move up quickly.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#39 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,131 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

I've seen him mocked to the Jets in the second. If he does well at the combine, he could do better than that. Once QBs get some buzz going, they generally move up quickly.

Especially in a draft where the QBs being considered aren't all that great.

#40 JoeWillie

JoeWillie

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Agreed. Possible he could go as high as 2nd if he impresses at combine, although I still think he's a stretch in the first two rounds.

I like the kid though, thought he played well when it counted and games were on the line ... lots of comebacks too.

#41 gangreenman

gangreenman

The Gamethread/chat Guy

• Members
  • 5,873 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

SO we will get 2 games a year against a Cover Who defense. A positive development.

He was the Secondary Coach for Syracuse this past year...
Posted Image

ďThey asked what I was going to do in the off-season and I was like 'What do you mean, off-season?' Iím going to be at the facility...thatís my new home." - Mark Sanchez

#42 Obrien2Toon

Obrien2Toon

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

I finally like a hire by the Bills. They seem to like to hire failed retreads like Jauron and Gailey.

#43 Joe Jets fan

Joe Jets fan

not sure

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

I live up here and follow SU pretty close. I think he has a rocket for an arm. I could be wrong but I have heard story's that he has a stronger arm then Mcnabb when he was here. Plus he is smart. Which us a must with an nfl QB

#44 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,516 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

I don't understand how you reached this conclusion. He's a very good NFL coach, he has in no way proved he's a good HC to this point.

he's 34-30 WL with 4-2 in the playoffs, in this league, that's very good.

#45 JFtoLong

JFtoLong

2nd Year Veteran

• Banned
  • 1,294 posts
  • Locationgrassy knoll

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

he's 34-30 WL with 4-2 in the playoffs, in this league, that's very good.

After 4 years with the Jets, Herm had a better regular season record than Rex, sometimes you need to look beyond the stats.

Sanchez also has the same or almost the same record as a starting QB in the NFl, he's not very good, to put it mildly

#46 SweetLee83

SweetLee83

LETS GO BUFFALO!

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

this guy was 25-25 in college

yeah, the Bills are still a bargain-bin shopping team :biggrin:

See this is just ignorant and uniformed.

25-25 is better than 10-37 (what they were before him), right?

Going from the 102nd ranked recruiting class, to the 73rd is good, right?

Finishing with the 21st ranked offense in the fbs is good right?

He took the 82nd best qb in the 08 recruiting class, a two star prospec,t and made him into a first rounder. Not bad, right?

I"m not overly excited about what he's done though, it is impressive, I'm excited that they stayed ahead of the curve and hired a coach who has he potential to be great. That is what excites me about Marrone is that we are seeing him at the very beginning of what I think will be a great career for him.

It's not our usual retread like Gailey or Jauron.

#47 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,516 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

After 4 years with the Jets, Herm had a better regular season record than Rex, sometimes you need to look beyond the stats.

Sanchez also has the same or almost the same record as a starting QB in the NFl, he's not very good, to put it mildly

Herman Edwards was such a hot coaching name that Carl Petersen tampered with the Jets to get him to go to KC. I'm not the one who makes the standards for what is considered "good" by the league. Rex is good by the league's standards. He has a great defense and many head coaches don't have anything great.

Is he good by Jets fan's standards, that's another question. While I can sympathize with wanting nothing but the best, sometimes I think we as fans lose perspective. the perfect is the enemy of the good. This is entertainment and being a Jets fan is like betting a number at the roulette wheel. You're 33-1 to win. And we get mad when it doesn't happen.

Edited by bitonti, 06 January 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#48 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

• Members
  • 6,261 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Herman Edwards was such a hot coaching name

Stoped there

#49 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,516 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Stoped there

it happened dude. not only did Herm get another job, he was interviewing for it before he got fired from NY. In other news Im real sorry the Jets didn't fire Rex and miss out on the Doug Marrone era. But don't worry there's still time to get Tomasula.

#50 Blackout

Blackout

Circle Of Bosses

• Banned
  • 32,203 posts
  • Locationhome

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

See this is just ignorant and uniformed.

25-25 is better than 10-37 (what they were before him), right?

Going from the 102nd ranked recruiting class, to the 73rd is good, right?

Finishing with the 21st ranked offense in the fbs is good right?

He took the 82nd best qb in the 08 recruiting class, a two star prospec,t and made him into a first rounder. Not bad, right?

I"m not overly excited about what he's done though, it is impressive, I'm excited that they stayed ahead of the curve and hired a coach who has he potential to be great. That is what excites me about Marrone is that we are seeing him at the very beginning of what I think will be a great career for him.

It's not our usual retread like Gailey or Jauron.

dude if you think this guy is going to make any changes to your even-worse-than-the-jets franchise then you are mistaken my friend

the guy would still be available in a month and was on nobodies radar for a reason
"i'll rock forever....or at least until the Jets win the Superbowl" - Chino XL (1995)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users