#1 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

Jets expected to cut Calvin Pace & Bart Scott
Posted Image

The Jets are expected to release OLB Calvin Pace, ILB Bart Scott, OT Jason Smith, and S Eric Smith as soon as the waiver period opens in February.
Pace has been one of the least productive pass rushers in the league over the past three seasons. The moves will save $8.56 million on Pace, $7.15 million on Scott, $12 million on Jason Smith, and $3 million on Eric Smith while accounting for just $4.5 million in dead money. The Jets will have still little cap space with just 10 starters under contract.

Edited by Gastineau Lives, 06 January 2013 - 11:11 PM.

"Those eight weeks I spent as co-host of JetNation Radio were among the happiest of my life. Oh, and F Tom Shane."

#2 jason423

jason423

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

POPULAR

Good to see that Cimini is really breaking those stories that everyone knew last July...

#3 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,427 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

3-13 next year looking like a real possibility
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#4 Blackout

Blackout

Circle Of Bosses

• Members
  • 32,233 posts
  • Locationhome

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

2-14

CLOWNEY HERE WE GO
"i'll rock forever....or at least until the Jets win the Superbowl" - Chino XL (1995)

#5 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 20,897 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

Perhaps, but what do any of these laughably overpaid schmucks have to do with that?
By day he's the (not so) mild-mannered Bleedin Green, but by night...

#6 AVM

AVM

Anti Vick Militia President/Owner

• Members
  • 11,524 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Perhaps, but what do any of these laughably overpaid schmucks have to do with that?

Eric Smith is going to be cut, and this is the best you've got?
Insert witty comment here

#7 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,427 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

The minimal depth behind those guys scares. Davis will start in Scott's slot, and I'm assuming McIntyre will rotate with Sapp at Pace's spot? At safety, can they re-sign Landry? That defense was the only thing keeping this squad from a 2 win season. Either Gamble kills it with this draft, or he works some real magic in FA, or he lets Rex burn with a bad roster.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#8 redman81

redman81

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Thank God, I cringed every time I had to watch one of those guys in coverage especially Smith. Wanted him gone for yrs. I can see Jason Smith being re-signed to a diff contract for OL depth.

#9 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 20,897 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

Eric Smith is going to be cut, and this is the best you've got?

Believe it or not, after this season Smith has moved quite a few notches down on my list of most hated Jets. At the QB position alone there are two players who I would gladly concede having another season of Eric Trips if it somehow guaranteed we got rid of them. Plus, as much as it pains me to admit it, with his ass finally tossed back into a backup role where it belongs, he wasn't quite as awful this year.

Besides, I celebrated once before when the Jets let him hit FA and we all know how that turned out, so I'm not going to buy into him really being gone until he's on another team's roster.

#10 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 20,897 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

The minimal depth behind those guys scares. Davis will start in Scott's slot, and I'm assuming McIntyre will rotate with Sapp at Pace's spot? At safety, can they re-sign Landry? That defense was the only thing keeping this squad from a 2 win season. Either Gamble kills it with this draft, or he works some real magic in FA, or he lets Rex burn with a bad roster.

These guys were completely washed up this season (assuming they were ever worth a damn in the first place) and needed to be replaced anyway. Obviously it needs to be addressed, but them wasting away cap space wasn't going to make that scenario any different. The one position I'd say might be a bit more worrisome than it already was this year would be safety, but that has less to do with Smith than it does have to do with both starters being FAs. I doubt the Jets will have much trouble bringing Bell back on the cheap, but Landry's a whole different story. Regardless, I still have far less concerns about this team fielding at least a solid (if unspectacular) D than I do about them fielding an O capable of doing, well... anything.

#11 LionelRichie

LionelRichie

Veteran

• Members
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

All of these cuts are addition by subtraction as far as I am concerned. The Jets were getting nothing from any of these players.

I don't think the Jets are going to be as bad as everyone is making it out. If I was the new GM I would probably keep Rex next year and hope he can keep the defense in the 8-10 range. I would use the first 3 picks on the OL and OLB. Preferably trading down from 8 and still able to get the best RT and OG available and some kind of speed pass rusher.

QB is obviously the biggest question but with a good OL I am ok rolling with McElroy or Matt Moore. This team went to the AFC Championship game 2x with a weak QB and great OL. We aren't getting a franchise QB next season so we may as well get back to a great OL.

Edited by LionelRichie, 06 January 2013 - 11:55 PM.

#12 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 7,591 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

Sports writing is so alluring . All you have to do is scrape the forums in June and write about it in Jan. I hear you get to go to all games for free and Super Bowl too!

#13 sirlancemehlot

sirlancemehlot

perpetual rookie

• Members
  • 4,248 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

Smith is solid depth and a sure tackler...led the team in tackles last season. It'd be nice if we could resign him cheap. J. Smith? No thanks. Scott? Gimpy toes and huge contract? Good cut, sorry Bart. And now Pace. Goodbye. See ya. So long. When I think of the production versus the ridiculous price? Ug. Pace and Tanny gone makes me feel like we're already getting better as a team.

#14 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,074 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:07 AM

Harris!!! Please go away. Thanks.

#15 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,549 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

Optimism? That isn't like you

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#16 Irish Jet

Irish Jet

• Members
  • 23,427 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

Sad how underrated Scott was in his tenure here. Yeah he was badly declining in the last two seasons when he was physically broken down, but his play in the two title game seasons was nothing short of immense. Shocked he’s lasted in the league as long as he has the way he plays. Just an animal against the run and in disrupting blocking schemes, made Harris look 10 times the player he actually is. Loved his attitude, even if that’s what ended up causing fans to really turn on him.

Pace had his moments too, particularly early on. Heck his destruction of Eli in pre-season was moneys worth alone.

The two Smiths can go **** each other sideways. Wasters.

#17 spjets

spjets

NFL Alumni

• Members
  • 6,344 posts
  • Locationiron station NC

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:54 AM

Can't wait...

#18 jack48

jack48

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

Believe it or not, after this season Smith has moved quite a few notches down on my list of most hated Jets. At the QB position alone there are two players who I would gladly concede having another season of Eric Trips if it somehow guaranteed we got rid of them. Plus, as much as it pains me to admit it, with his ass finally tossed back into a backup role where it belongs, he wasn't quite as awful this year.

Besides, I celebrated once before when the Jets let him hit FA and we all know how that turned out, so I'm not going to buy into him really being gone until he's on another team's roster.

Just because your safety is faster than your LBs does not mean he is fast enough to play the position.

#19 Ryno the Jet

Ryno the Jet

AGS WIN

• Members
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

Sorry for the -rep, on a tablet...you are entitled to wish away Harris.

That said, aside from his Tanny special contract, David Harris has been a fantastic Jet. He is not the most physically gifted guy, but he is a very smart and strong player at ILB. I seriously doubt that any members of the coaching staff shares your sentiment.

#20 Lizard King

Lizard King

Perpetual Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5,174 posts
  • LocationThe Himalayas

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

Sorry for the -rep, on a tablet...you are entitled to wish away Harris.

That said, aside from his Tanny special contract, David Harris has been a fantastic Jet. He is not the most physically gifted guy, but he is a very smart and strong player at ILB. I seriously doubt that any members of the coaching staff shares your sentiment.

The coaching staffs days are largely numbered

#21 JiF

JiF

President of the Rex Ryan Fan Club

• Members
  • 36,941 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

Not that I dont think this will eventually happen as it should, but you'd think moves like this would wait for a new GM to be hired?
Posted Image

#22 Ryno the Jet

Ryno the Jet

AGS WIN

• Members
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

The coaching staffs days are largely numbered

As of right now, reports are that Rex is staying, which means that most, if not all, of the D staff will remain. Regardless, there are many coaches around the league that speak highly of Harris. Everyone but Jets fans seem to think this guy is top ten at his position.

#23 The Crusher

The Crusher

Comeback Player of the year 2016

• Moderators
  • 29,225 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

He was good before Scott slow down. Put a young guy next to him and I think he will get back to it.

#24 The Crusher

The Crusher

• Moderators
  • 29,225 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Sad how underrated Scott was in his tenure here. Yeah he was badly declining in the last two seasons when he was physically broken down, but his play in the two title game seasons was nothing short of immense. Shocked he’s lasted in the league as long as he has the way he plays. Just an animal against the run and in disrupting blocking schemes, made Harris look 10 times the player he actually is. Loved his attitude, even if that’s what ended up causing fans to really turn on him.

Pace had his moments too, particularly early on. Heck his destruction of Eli in pre-season was moneys worth alone.

The two Smiths can go **** each other sideways. Wasters.

Agreed on Scott.

Pace? Was brought in to get sacks. never did much of that. An ok player but not as advertised.

#25 The Crusher

The Crusher

• Moderators
  • 29,225 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

Not that I dont think this will eventually happen as it should, but you'd think moves like this would wait for a new GM to be hired?

Probably the kind of moves any GM would welcome. Guys who have lost a step and make too much. Seems pretty straight forward. Might get one back on the cheap?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users