Would you trade a first round pick:

unbanmadmike1

1 year rental for a lost season? No thanks. He wants to get paid. Somebody with the Jets the last few years must love him, but whoever that guy is he is probably gone (Mike T) or on thin ice (Rex). Guess it could be Scott Cohen, but I'd doubt it and I'd doubt he'll be GM either.

yeah this. why would you want to trade a first round pick for a receiver that will be a free agent next year?

Harvin is like 24 and do you really think you could get someone as good as he is in the 20s?

The problem isn't his talent. The issue is, as others have said, the huge financial commitment that would need to be made to him immediately (which the Jets are no position to handle) combined with ongoing health concerns.

just an observation......but it's deals like this proposed one, coupled with a couple of big time draft whiffs, that got this team in the siatuation it is in. whoever we hire at gm i hope they do this:

realize that this team needs a rebuilding year or 2 to become a consistent playoff contender. after realizing this i want them to dump salary cap and sign low cost, potential upside guys to fill out our roster next year for evaluation. either stay put and draft BPA or trade down if possible to pick up draft picks to help round out the roster. seriously consider trading revis when he is shown to be healthy and pick up draft picks for next year and possibly thre year after.

the above philosophy will have us building a younger roster which, if done correctly, will be have enough young talent to allow us to use the salary cap room we would acquire to really bolster our young talent with key players. obviously somewhere along the line we will have to acquire a bona fide nfl qb. either through free agency, trade or draft.

there is no reason for this team to be trading first round pick on a player who we will have to give a huge contract to unless this player was a quarterback. we are not one receiver away from being a superbowl contendert.

just an observation......but it's deals like this proposed one, coupled with a couple of big time draft whiffs, that got this team in the siatuation it is in. whoever we hire at gm i hope they do this:

realize that this team needs a rebuilding year or 2 to become a consistent playoff contender. after realizing this i want them to dump salary cap and sign low cost, potential upside guys to fill out our roster next year for evaluation. either stay put and draft BPA or trade down if possible to pick up draft picks to help round out the roster. seriously consider trading revis when he is shown to be healthy and pick up draft picks for next year and possibly thre year after.

the above philosophy will have us building a younger roster which, if done correctly, will be have enough young talent to allow us to use the salary cap room we would acquire to really bolster our young talent with key players. obviously somewhere along the line we will have to acquire a bona fide nfl qb. either through free agency, trade or draft.

there is no reason for this team to be trading first round pick on a player who we will have to give a huge contract to unless this player was a quarterback. we are not one receiver away from being a superbowl contendert.

Some what agree, but I would trade Cromartie instead, in return I would ask for the teams 1st round pick in 2014, who ever would be interested in Cromartie would probably think he is the 1, or 2 pieces they are missing to make a run at it next year, and the year after. So with this logic asking, and finding a team willing to give that pick isn't absurd, Cromartie is arguably coming off his best season in his career, is locked up for 2 more seasons on his contract, the 2nd year I believe isn't fully guaranteed, and the salary he is making is very reasonable for a #1 CB, also if the team that makes the deal with us thinks they are primed for a run then they would assume they are giving up a 2014 pick in the later part of the round, and won't hurt them this year in the draft so they can address another possible missing piece for their run. With the cap savings from trading Cro, and cutting all of our dead weight I use what's left to LOCK up Revis for life, and try, and get Landry on a fair market deal for 3 years, this deal would have to be heavily incentive laden for injury only purposes also, if healthy I'm not worried about production (if he gets a ridiculous offer elsewhere so be it). Other than those 2 moves I do nothing, but clear cap space for 2014, and stock up draft picks however possible for 2013, and 2014 draft, plug in A LOT of young players everywhere else for 2013, be prepared for a rebuilding type season, and be ready to restock for the 2014 season, most of the restocking would be from the 2013, and 2014 draft, and a couple plugged in veterans in the 2014 FA market where needed, these FA pickups will be only possible if the Jets do the right thing, and blow up their 2013 cap (and probably their season because of this) by cutting, and paying all of the heavy dead cap hit players this year, which would clear the 2014 cap. 2014 (if the plan is executed correctly, and they don't whiff on their high draft picks in both drafts) will be year 1 of the comeback, and the team should contend that season, and seasons beyond getting better every year. Obviously the new regime HAS to find a NFL QB in either draft, or from FA, or trade in 2014, the whole plan would depend on it like all new regime's future plans do. All won't be new either, the core will still be here in 2014, but it will be injected with youth, and speed to go with proven Veterans, and hopeful improved young players already here like Revis, Landry, Wilk, Ellis, Colpes, D Davis, Mangold, DBrick, Kerley, S Hill, and hopefully a few younger guys on the roster who could pan out like, Powell, Mcntyre, Allen, Bush, ect...

2013 will be bad, and your going to have to sell Revis, and Landry on the plan to get them to commit, but if they do the defense will be ready for the return to contending, and hopefully the offense is run by a competent coach whoever that may be, with a competent QB, and the plan would be a quick 1 year turn around.

Ok now new GM whoever you are make it happen, I've been through A LOT of bad years, I can sit through 1 more (horrific) if there is light at the end of the tunnel starting in 2014!

IMO this is the only way to get out of this mess the Jets have made trying to go for it all the last 3 years, I hope Woody can see this, and suck it up, and do what he has to do, write big checks now to players who will never play another down for his team, this will be tough to convince, and I could see why he wouldn't want to, but if he doesn't it will delay the rebuild at least 1 year probably more.

If you really want WR who can actually play WR and not the slot without having to pay a 1st rounder for him there will be many available this offseason. Dwayne Bowe, Mike Wallace, and Greg Jennings are all free agents this year. Doubt we sign any of them though.

Nor should we. There is no QB here and those guys will all get paid way more than they're worth. Jennings is a slot guy, Wallace is all speed no hands, and Bowe is often injured and lazy.

Archived