Random draft bits of tid

SenorGato

Bored mock:

Cromahtie to the 49ers for pick #31.

I wish it were possible to do trades without looking crazy. It's perfectly legit to think Pouha or even Harris could be traded, but to suggest it be for more than a bag of balls or a 2018 7th before it happens is crazy. For the hell of it:

David Harris to the Cardinals for a Fif

1: Barkevious Mingo DE/OLB

1: DaMontre Moore DE/OLB

2: Zac Ertz TE

3: Kevin Reddick ILB/OLB

4: Alvin Bailey or Justin Pugh OL

5: TJ McDonald S/DB

5: Aaron Mellette WR

6: Christine Michael RB

7: Brad Sorenson QB

Same trades but different players...Which one is better?

1: B. Mingo

1: Gio Bernard

2: Gavin Escobar

3: Cornelius Washington

4: Brennan Williams - Another UNC player. This one would go much higher if he didn't blow out his knee. OT.

5: Zac Dysert

5: Nico Johnson

6: Shanarko Thomas

7: Someone

I like you're other one better but thats because I'm a strict hater on RB's in the first.  And while I like Bernard, I wouldnt spend a 1 on him.  Plus, I love your first 4 picks in the other one much more.

I don't think Shamarko Thomas lasts to the 6th round. I haven't paid too much attention, but he's fast and he hits.  Sure he is a midget (shorter than me!) and faceplanted on his 40, but he was still in the low 4.4s. I brought up Sorensen way back and would be very happy to get him in the 7th, but I'm not sure what good we get out of a guy that late.  We don't have time to develop these guys.  Don't like his release, but he's a big dude with an arm, so can't complain about him there.

someone sell me on Mingo.  

it won't be me.  Kid scares the crap out of me.

I'm with Bit on this.  If Jarvis Jones is there at 9, he's the guy

Edit:  Maybe I'm not with bit on this.  I just read a post Bit made, that "if Mingo, or Jordan are there at 9 it's a no brainer". 

Me?  I'm still taking Jones

someone sell me on Mingo.  

I asked the same thing about a month ago.  It took a while to come around, but now I am a huge Mingo fan. 

Selling points:

1. He does not stop running. He runs after the QB, then he runs to the ball once it's passed/handed off. 

2. He beats double teams by fighting through them, he has the flexibility to get skinny, and literally squeezes between players. In contrast, Jarvis Jones and Ziggy Ansah seem satisfied just occupying two players, and Dion Jordan doesn't get double teamed. 

3. He has a litany of pass rush moves; a surprisingly effective bull-rush (given his slight frame), a spin move, a rip, and he can bend it like  beckham coming around the corner. 

4. He doesn't always get the sack, but he gets to the QB 20 times a game.  The mere threat of Mingo, with his lightning-fast release off the line, makes QBs step up into the pocket.  This is what we need to make Coples more effective, a pass rusher that forces the QB into the inside pressure.  

5. He gets his hands up when he can't get to the QB, and he has long arms. 

6. His pursuit angles are bar-none. He understands how to track a ball carrier and limit his run length. 

7. He has instincts.  In a read-option play he doesn't hesitate to make the crushing tackle, and it is always on the ball carrier.  Ziggy is 2-3 years removed from understanding the game at that level, and I've seen Jones tackle guys that don't have the ball.  

8. Mingo is surprisingly strong for his size. He can stack, shed and tackle. 

9. He can drop into coverage effortlessly.  

10. I love his sprinter's stance.  It reminds me of Babin on the Eagles wide-9 defense a couple years ago. He shoots out of it like a cannonball, and makes a QB account for his presence on every play.  Any attention we can take off of Mo Wilk or Coples is going to go a long way in this defense.  

This is his last game played in college. 

I don't think Shamarko Thomas lasts to the 6th round. I haven't paid too much attention, but he's fast and he hits.  Sure he is a midget (shorter than me!) and faceplanted on his 40, but he was still in the low 4.4s. I brought up Sorensen way back and would be very happy to get him in the 7th, but I'm not sure what good we get out of a guy that late.  We don't have time to develop these guys.  Don't like his release, but he's a big dude with an arm, so can't complain about him there.

Oh wow, DraftScout has him in the 2-3 range. Probably means 4th, but I thought he was a secret.

Pretty much how I feel about Sorenson, and I am pretty agreed that the time to develop isn't there. '11 and '12 allowed them some time to bring along guys like Wilson, Wilkerson, Coples, Kerley, etc but this team sorely needs at least a couple of those guys (the DL-men) breakout and then to absolutely nail FA and the draft.

Mingo seems like he could be really good. OL in the second round is fine, and I even like Warford, but he's not one of the 40 best players in this draft. Maybe if Fluker gets pegged as a guard he could slide a little. I think anybody we take in the second would have to have some tackle upside even if his place for 2013 is at guard. Bray is out of the question. We don't have the resources to dick around with half measures at quarterback. It's Sanchez and that's that. What do you think of Sean Porter in 3? Safeties, Taylor, fine, whatever. Projecting these positions in these rounds without benefit of combine numbers is kind of pointless. Probably going to have to address TE sooner. And if course if we have the chance to take a flier on a BC OL in the seventh round we're going to windmill slam the card for Wetzel.

K.Long this kid can play  OG and  OT i like him with our 2nd

Same trades but different players...Which one is better?

1: B. Mingo

1: Gio Bernard

2: Gavin Escobar

3: Cornelius Washington

4: Brennan Williams - Another UNC player. This one would go much higher if he didn't blow out his knee. OT.

5: Zac Dysert

5: Nico Johnson

6: Shanarko Thomas

7: Someone

I like the Nico Johnson pick.

The National Football Post says Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones' neck injury is "starting to look like it might be a non-issue on draft day," and "there is little chance he falls out of the top ten." 

Independent orthopedist Craig Brigham refutes the notion that Jones ever even had a significant spinal cord contusion, and concluded that Jones either had a mild case of spinal cord concussion or just simply a neck stinger that has long since resolved. "Jarvis is cleared to play without restriction," said Brigham. After receiving good news on his neck at the Combine, Jones may not be in for such a dramatic tumble down boards on draft day as was initially thought.

Hmmmmm.

@McShay13: Jarvis Jones is smaller, more productive version of Mingo. Not great laterally and you don't get much value dropping him in coverage

@McShay13: But Jones accelerates quickly of plant and he's a flat ballhawk. Fits Steelers/Ravens 34, but too small for others'. 43 OLB otherwise

anybody got anything on cornelius Washington DE from georgia, could be a nice OLB, ran really well and put up 36 reps. i think a 4:55

I think he can develop into a Bryan Thomas-esque player here under Rex. He has the right size and athleticism for this system. As a pass rusher he's better as a secondary guy than the primary guy, but really has the potential to be a guy who can set one of the edges here. Seems like he can pass an interview, but really don't know for sure.

I think he can develop into a Bryan Thomas-esque player here under Rex. He has the right size and athleticism for this system. As a pass rusher he's better as a secondary guy than the primary guy, but really has the potential to be a guy who can set one of the edges here. Seems like he can pass an interview, but really don't know for sure.

yeah i like him in the 5th or 6th

An acceptable draft:

Cromartie to the 49ers for #61 and fifth.

1: Mingo DE/OLB

2: Zac Ertz TE

2: Dallas Thomas LG

3: Quinton Patton WR

4: Cornelius Washington ILB/OLB

5: Zac Stacy RB 

5: Caleb Sturgis K

6: Sean Renfree QB

7: Omoregie Uzzi RG

- Unlike many pro-day workouts which are scripted then run by personal coaches, teams on hand were impressed when Tyler Bray ran his own workout and basically took requests on the types of throws scouts/coaches wanted to see him make.

- And while Cordarrelle Patterson is explosive moving in every direction of the field we heard he did way too much body catching today and struggled snatching the ball cleanly away from his body.

Lotulelei:

5.15 40

30 in vertical

38 reps

7.76 cone

4.65 shuttle

I find myself rooting for him at 9. He's in the conversation for best player in the draft at full health.

Jonathan Hankins is unusually quiet, but that guy is a top 20 pick in this draft. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived