Bills seek permission to talk to Jets Pettine

HDKostempski

That'd be a giant FU to Rex if there ever was one.

Something happened behind closed doors with those 2, publicly all Rex ever did was tout him as a future HC in this league, and very soon according to Rex, maybe Pettine thinks Rex is a bafoon as HC, and thinks it's in his best interest to separate from him?

Something happened behind closed doors with those 2, publicly all Rex ever did was tout him as a future HC in this league, and very soon according to Rex, maybe Pettine thinks Rex is a bafoon as HC, and thinks it's in his best interest to separate from him?

OR he realizes he will never be considered as an ace co-ordinator unless he gets away from the imposing shadow of Rex Ryan.

Pettine leaving says more than any crap press conferences ever will. I think you are spot on here. Mike is leaving in order to prove his worth, and detach from Rex's sh*t show.

Pettine and Rex were real tight. Be interesting to see what happened between the two and how much the offense had to do with it. Relationship seems over.

"I'm hitching my wagon to Rex Ryan," Pettine told his friend three weeks after arriving in Baltimore. "This guy is going to be a star."

There is no upside to Pettine staying on with the Jets. If he ever hope to be seriously considered for a HC gig he need to get as far away from Rex as possible -- and it isn't just about getting out of Rex's shadow. He needs to get aways from the elephant $hit and monkey $hit stench of the circus and distance himself from a defense that is no longer a force. Time to salvage his image. Heck, right now he would probably be a more capable HC than Rex.

I think it's way more likely that any success Pettine has here as long as Rex is the HC, the credit for the defense will always be towards Rex. I doubt it has anything to do with a soured relationship, it's not as if Rex has suddenly become a loud mouth, arrogant man, he's been that way ever since Baltimore.

That'd be a giant FU to Rex if there ever was one.

I am not so sure. Would need to hear the story...maybe Mike feels he will never get recognition under Rex's shadow? I am speculating but it is possible.

From what I have heard Rex took over playcalling from Pettine TWO years in a row. Pettine pissed.

BUT, in both cases, our D played better when Rex took over play calling. (We went on that great 3rd down defense streak after Rex took over this year)

From what I have heard Rex took over playcalling from Pettine TWO years in a row. Pettine pissed.

BUT, in both cases, our D played better when Rex took over play calling. (We went on that great 3rd down defense streak after Rex took over this year)

This is my recollection, too. Pettine could simply be done the way Charlie Weiss was done with Parcells.

Or maybe they're fine, and Pettine wants to be his own man rather than Rex's right hand man.

Or maybe he's just waiting to see how the front office and offense shapes up before signing on for any longer.

This is my recollection, too. Pettine could simply be done the way Charlie Weiss was done with Parcells.

Or maybe they're fine, and Pettine wants to be his own man rather than Rex's right hand man.

Or maybe he's just waiting to see how the front office and offense shapes up before signing on for any longer.

I think he is a decent coach but a bad ingame scheme/playcall strategist..just my 2 cents

Archived