Jets fire offensive coordinator Tony Sparano

JoeC36

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 8, 2013, 7:40 AM EST

AP

One year was all Tony Sparano got as the Jets’ offensive coordinator.

After weeks of speculation that Sparano would be fired, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported on Tuesday morning that it’s done: Sparano has been fired. This is the second consecutive offseason in which Sparano will be looking for work; he was fired as the Dolphins’ head coach after the 2011 season.

When Jets coach Rex Ryan brought Sparano in last year, he hailed him as a smart and innovative offensive coach who would get the stagnant Jets offense moving. And when the Jets later traded for Tim Tebow, they said that Sparano would be the architect of a dual-threat offense that saw Mark Sanchez develop as a passer and Tebow making contributions as a Wildcat quarterback.

Instead, Tebow did next to nothing, Sanchez regressed, and late in the season Ryan was so desperate to try something different that he put Greg McElroy ahead of both of them on the depth chart.

Given the disaster that was the Jets’ offense in 2012, the biggest surprise is that the Jets didn’t make this move until eight days into 2013.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/08/jets-fire-offensive-coordinator-tony-sparano/

Someone has to ask Rex today why he gets to keep his job when basically every human he hand-picked to be in the building (outside of Wilkerson) is an outright liability.

Why not ask Woody instead? He is the one who should kick Rex´s ass out asap. Rex just got himself a tat and thinks he´s untouchable or something.

IF Woody want Jets to be a professional org. then by god Rex must go.

Sparano was dealt a really bad hand with this offense. Rex/Tanny saddled him with 2 inadequate QB's, a declining line, Holmes the primadonna, no explosive players, and Wayne freaking Hunter at RT.

That being said, it seemed like Sparano got worse as the season went on. Maybe he felt defeated that Sanchez couldn't hit the broad side of the barn but there was no excuse for the total lack of organization on offense, the inexplicable timeouts and inability to get personnel on the field, and baffling use of Tebow all season.

If Sparano had at least been organized and prepared he could have blamed a lot of this mess on Sanchez and the personnel. As it was he completely failed at his job.

Sparano was dealt a really bad hand with this offense. Rex/Tanny saddled him with 2 inadequate QB's, a declining line, Holmes the primadonna, no explosive players, and Wayne freaking Hunter at RT.

That being said, it seemed like Sparano got worse as the season went on. Maybe he felt defeated that Sanchez couldn't hit the broad side of the barn but there was no excuse for the total lack of organization on offense, the inexplicable timeouts and inability to get personnel on the field, and baffling use of Tebow all season.

If Sparano had at least been organized and prepared he could have blamed a lot of this mess on Sanchez and the personnel. As it was he completely failed at his job.

Look, Tebow was never going to be the starter. But Sanchez was so awful that he should've gotten more of a chance. If you look at the plays that worked for Denver with Tebow, it were options and rollouts outside often to his left. Instead Sparano ran him on delays and draws right up the middle. I HATE running plays up the middle. In an NFL or Hampton/Ngata/Willfork 375 lbers clogging the middle, running right at such behemoths is basically giving up a play. It's pointless, and it goes right at a strength of most defenses. Tebow at 250 running there is worthless. Run him outside vs. LBs and safeties no bigger than him and moving laterally and you will gain yards.

And of course on those rare occasions Sparano go Tebow in there he ran right up the middle.

Tony deserved to get whacked. And for allowing this atrocity of an offense so does the HC.

I had hoped Sparano could bring discipline to the unit, along with a less complicated passing offense that might help Sanchez. Didn't happen. Everyone involved in the Jets offense got a raw deal this year, though. Did Sparano suffer Sanchez? Or the other way around? Or (most likely) both? Weak RBs, weaker (and injured) WRs, and downright terrible QBs.

The whole thing needs to blown up on that side of the ball. I hope new GM figures out a way to get Sanchez gone. I'd replace him with any JAG off the street. Matt Moore, Bruce Gradkowski, Jason Campbell, it doesn't matter. A place holder is all that's needed. Maybe the Jets can hit on a second or third rounder this year, or a first rounder in 2014, but it needs to be completely dismantled ASAP regardless.

You are far to kind to this rotten fish. The line wasnt that bad and he would pull sanchez after he would complete 2 passes in a row to bring in tebow and then let tebow languish on the sidelines. to not score TDs for back to back games in inexcusable and speaks to him directly as a OC, not Rex.

As far as Rex picking this guy, I thought that DMC was /sarcasm but then T0m comes in and backs it. So either you both are being /sarcasm or I have no clue how a football teams staff is really filled. I know that a new hire HC usually gets to bring who he wants in but I thought that the management are the ones that make the hire. Not that Rex didnt have a say BUT I cant picture Rex making phone calls to prospective OCs right now. I would think that would be someone elses role.

You are far to kind to this rotten fish. The line wasnt that bad and he would pull sanchez after he would complete 2 passes in a row to bring in tebow and then let tebow languish on the sidelines. to not score TDs for back to back games in inexcusable and speaks to him directly as a OC, not Rex.

As far as Rex picking this guy, I thought that DMC was /sarcasm but then T0m comes in and backs it. So either you both are being /sarcasm or I have no clue how a football teams staff is really filled. I know that a new hire HC usually gets to bring who he wants in but I thought that the management are the ones that make the hire. Not that Rex didnt have a say BUT I cant picture Rex making phone calls to prospective OCs right now. I would think that would be someone elses role.

No /sarcasm bud, he was Rex's hand picked choice

You can't polish a turd.

It really doesn't matter who the OC is until the front office fixes the mess at QB and improves the OL.

Agree about the QB. (The OL is fine as every metric showed) But hiring a guy who was fired a month ago for never using his all pro RB from a first place team is NEVER a good idea.

No /sarcasm bud, he was Rex's hand picked choice

and not only that DMC, but they ran after him like he was the 2nd offensive coming of Bill Walsh-I was baffled. Maybe it was the other guy (that the Jets FAILED to hire) that was supposed to come along WITH Sparano that made it all so appealing. WTHBS, Thank God he IS finally gone-he was atrocious

and not only that DMC, but they ran after him like he was the 2nd offensive coming of Bill Walsh-I was baffled. Maybe it was the other guy (that the Jets FAILED to hire) that was supposed to come along WITH Sparano that made it all so appealing. WTHBS, Thank God he IS finally gone-he was atrocious

He definitely proved me wrong, I said for years it couldn't get worse then Schotty. Boy do I have egg on my face.

HUGE mistake. How is Sanchez ever going to develop?

I agree. I think they did a great job with Sanchez and it just needed more time. Letting Cavanaugh and Sparano go is risky because now Sanchez might take a step backwards. :)

I agree. I think they did a great job with Sanchez and it just needed more time. Letting Cavanaugh and Sparano go is risky because now Sanchez might take a step backwards. :)

Agreed. Its a bit ridiculous. Sanchez was showing signs of turning the corner.

The good news is Rex seems to be losing that fierce loyalty thing Trevor Pryce was talking about in that article. He's gone from refusing to say they fired Schotty to dumping Cav and Sparano in consecutive days.

These are positive steps in Rex's development as a coach.

The good news is Rex seems to be losing that fierce loyalty thing Trevor Pryce was talking about in that article. He's gone from refusing to say they fired Schotty to dumping Cav and Sparano in consecutive days.

These are positive steps in Rex's development as a coach.

Blind loyalty to players is MUCH worse than to coaches and I don't see any signs of Rex improving that.

Archived