Grading Rex's hand-picked choices

Integrity28

Mark Sanchez: C-

We got 2 decent years and 2 playoff runs out of him, which is more than some first round QBs do in a career. Mark isn't responsible for his stupid contract, but he is responsible for digressing over his 2nd two years. He may not be a completely lost cause yet, so I bumped him up from D for that.

Santonio Holmes: D+

Selfish. Doesn't run good routes. Clearly not a positive addition to the locker room, team chemistry. Bailed on the team 2 years ago, hurt this year, also the recipient of a team crippling contract.

Plaxico Burress: F

Not with the team. Divisive when he was here, brought out the worst in Holmes.

John Conner: F

Not with the team. Wasted a draft pick on a FB that couldn't even stay in the lineup at one of the positions that has the highest success rate of transitioning from college to pro.

Tony Sporano: F

Couldn't do ANYTHING with the offense. Worse than Schotty.

Quinton Coples: C

Took a while, but he came on at the end of the season. Remains to be seen if he can become a full-time starter, and difference maker.

Muhammed Wilkerson: A

He's matriculated successfully and become a difference maker for the team.

Derrick Mason: F

He didn't catch 100 passes. He paid the price for unwelcome constructive criticism.

We got 2 decent years and 2 playoff runs out of him, which is more than some first round QBs do in a career. Mark isn't responsible for his stupid contract, but he is responsible for digressing over his 2nd two years. He may not be a completely lost cause yet, so I bumped him up from D for that.

Selfish. Doesn't run good routes. Clearly not a positive addition to the locker room, team chemistry. Bailed on the team 2 years ago, hurt this year, also the recipient of a team crippling contract.

Not with the team. Wasted a draft pick on a FB that couldn't even stay in the lineup at one of the positions that has the highest success rate of transitioning from college to pro.

Took a while, but he came on at the end of the season. Remains to be seen if he can become a full-time starter, and difference maker.

I don't see how Plax gets an F. He didn't cost much and was a nice red zone target. Blaming Santiono's actions on him isn't fair.

And I have to give Coples a higher grade as well. He led the team in sacks....grading him on a rookie curve he gets a B in my book. Getting him on a Terry Bradway draft curve, he gets an A lol.

And I am not sold that Sanchez was the hand picked selection by Rex. Sure he was on board with it but there is no way Tanny makes the pick just because Rex hand selected him. Tanny pays the price for that one. And I give Mark a D-.

I don't see how Plax gets an F. He didn't cost much and was a nice red zone target. Blaming Santiono's actions on him isn't fair.

And I have to give Coples a higher grade as well. He led the team in sacks....grading him on a rookie curve he gets a B in my book. Getting him on a Terry Bradway draft curve, he gets an A lol.

And I am not sold that Sanchez was the hand picked selection by Rex. Sure he was on board with it but there is no way Tanny makes the pick just because Rex hand selected him. Tanny pays the price for that one. And I give Mark a D-.

Plaxico and Holmes became divisive together. I'm not blaming Plax for Holmes actions, but I am saying that Plax's presence made Holmes more detrimental as a non-team guy.

I see your point on Coples too, but I want to see him as an every down guy before I get too psyched. Not hard to lead this team in sacks, when we've got nobody who can get to the QB.

how are any of these Rex's hand picked selections? hes the HC not the GM. John conner maybe was a hand picked selection. But he's paid to coach the players not pick em out.

Rex is on-record stating he hand-picked all of these individuals or that they were "his guy". You don't think Rex has had input into player/coach selection, then you haven't been paying attention.

Not sure how many of these are all Rex, including Coples -who I'd rate higher than a C- but no doubt that Rex should have his influence in grocery shopping limited, and he should be left to focus exclusively on coaching.

Hopefully new GM comes in and puts together a new offensive staff on his own, and puts his own stamp on the team's personnel from day one. A strong GM, one capable of being Rex's boss, is what's needed here.

I-28, and even though we can't know whether or not DuCasse was or wasn't a Rex idea or not, one thing we DO know is that KEEPING him and making him another one of his failed pet projects (Like Vern) was....and still IS

vlad's gonna start next year. and he actually played ok this year. to compare him to vernon is way off base.

Also, Wayne Hunter in 2011...Rex Ryan was the one who believed in him, said that he "graded out" so well after Woody went down the last few games of 2010-THAT was a gigantic Rex failure bro-you have to include guys who the HC believed in, who he ultimately put ON his team...remember it still is the head coach's team, he's the one who says who will suit up every week....how about Joe McKnight over Woodhead-another busteroo IMO....

Derrick Mason: F

He didn't catch 100 passes. He paid the price for unwelcome constructive criticism.

Don't know if any of these were handpicked by Rex, I think Rex had input on them and that it was Tannenbaum who pulled the trigger. I think getting Tebow was a direct order from publicity hound Woody. That said,

* I would give Santonio Holmes an F. He is a cancer in the locker room, and the only productive season he's had was when BRaylon Edwards was on the other side.

* I would give John Connor a B. When he was healthy, he was a punishing blocker and during the year that the Jets went to the AFC title game and lost ot the Steelers, did play a part in a successful running game.

*I would give Plaxico Burress a B, and I totally disagree with you on that one. He came in for one season and did what he was supposed to: he caught 8 TDs and was a red zone threat. While he didn't replace Bray, he did what he was supposed to do.

* I would give Quinton Coples an A. I think he is on track with Wilkerson to become a difference maker. He played for a lousy team and at the end fo the season, helped give the Jets something they have sorely lacked for like 5 seasons now, which is a pass rush.

* Sanchez gets an F for reasons we have all stated on this forum many times.

* You forgot about former Raven Bart Scott, who might not be with the team. I would give him a D, which I bumped down from a C because of his salary.

Agree with you on Derrick Mason and not enough can be said about Sporano's incompetence this past season

Worst thread ever.

Really? I think it's a great thread and gives us SOMETHING to talk about. So who is going to start the Woody Rex PC thread? Now there should be some pretty good theatre from 11:00 AM on...I just cancelled SNY yesterday-I was on the phone for a half an hour just so I DIDN'T have to listen to that BS anymorehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvzdehnJA9k

Really? I think it's a great thread and gives us SOMETHING to talk about. So who is going to start the Woody Rex PC thread? Now there should be some pretty good theatre from 11:00 AM on...I just cancelled SNY yesterday-I was on the phone for a half an hour just so I DIDN'T have to listen to that BS anymore

by the way all this Santonio Holmes gets a D+ or an F discounts how many games he won basically by himself in the 09/10 seasons. Yes 11 was a disaster (and hurt for 12) but Santonio was a very good player for the Jets when he first arrived. To say he's an F is just looking at last couple years maybe.

by the way all this Santonio Holmes gets a D+ or an F discounts how many games he won basically by himself in the 09/10 seasons. Yes 11 was a disaster (and hurt for 12) but Santonio was a very good player for the Jets when he first arrived. To say he's an F is just looking at last couple years maybe.

Sanchez helped win games back then too... why aren't you arguing for a higher grade for him?

The It's the Holmes extension, not the trade we should really be pissed about. With that contract he's an F

vlad's gonna start next year. and he actually played ok this year.

Sure, except for him grading out horribly as a pass blocker.

While Slauson's not a mauler in the running game, his footwork is light years better than Vlad and he will be sorely missed if and when the Jets replace him with Ducasse.

Agree.

Plaxico was far from ideal, but he caught 8 TDs from a horrible QB. Other than Holmes, who caught his own 8th like an hour earlier, he was the first one since Santana Moss with that total. One year $3M for that isn't an F grade. It's an F grade if he had Mason's production. Plus wasn't he not technically starting for the first month?

And Sanchez is definitely a D-.

Sanchez helped win games back then too... why aren't you arguing for a higher grade for him?

i guess the scale is just messed up. If mason is an f than holmes is a D+? really Holmes had 2 great years and he's a half grade better than mason, who did nothing?

i guess the scale is just messed up. If mason is an f than holmes is a D+? really Holmes had 2 great years and he's a half grade better than mason, who did nothing?

Great? He never broke 800 yards receiving. Mason isn't even really an F. He cost very little and they cut him. Big ****ing deal. The big problem is the cancer in the locker and NOT being able to cut them.

I'm going based on the value they present to the team right now.

Holmes hasn't been great since he had Ben throwing to him.

Archived