•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Assistant Gm Scotty Cohen gaining support

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#51 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,857 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

But what I can not grasp is why Woody is prepared to screw us all over once again? He will loose a big part of the fanbase and that will cost him big bucks.

the Jets could have 0 fans and sell no tickets and still make money from the TV contract which is a 1/32 slice of a 10 billion dollar per year pie (313 mil). People say that winning will make Woody money, that's not really true. 31 teams fall short every year and they all make money. and btw no one buys an NFL team to make money. there's alot easier and better ways to invest than owning an NFL franchise.

Edited by bitonti, 08 January 2013 - 04:08 PM.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#52 Il Mostro

Il Mostro

Cazzone

• Members
  • 4,867 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Nightmare. This franchise needs a strong voice from the outside, period. There hasn't been any fresh air in the front office since Parcells left.

The Jets are the NFL equivalent of West Virginia.
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's just fun.

#53 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,626 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Michael Silver@MikeSilver

Dave Caldwell will be the Jags' next GM

Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#54 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,626 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Caldwell back for second interview

January, 8, 2013
Jan 8
2:26
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The Jets could be getting closer to naming a new general manager.

Falcons director of player personnel David Caldwell, whom they interviewed last Friday, was brought back for a second interview, according to sources.

Caldwell is in demand. He already has interviewed three times with the Jaguars for their GM vacancy.

The Jets have interviewed at least four candidates for the job, including 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble, Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross and Jets assistant GM Scott Cohen.

Gamble was considered the early favorite, but Caldwell started to gain momentum over the weekend as team officials evaluated the situation. It's not known if Gamble was invited back for a second interview.

Owner Woody Johnson, speaking Tuesday at a news conference, declined to comment on the search. He did, however, confirm that the new GM won't have the power to fire Rex Ryan this offseason. Johnson wouldn't say if the GM would have that power in 2014. The GM will have final say on personnel, the owner said.

Johnson's desire to retain Ryan probably reduced the pool of interested candidates, although he insisted that isn't the case.

"They know he's a good coach," Johnson said, revealing that Ryan will be involved in the search.

yahoo sports just announced caldwell to falcons

Posted ImageMichael Silver@MikeSilver

Edited by SouthernJet, 08 January 2013 - 04:10 PM.

Posted Image

#55 Pac

Pac

shark jumper

• Members
  • 14,336 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

cross him off the list.

#56 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,626 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

cross him off the list.

if true, really odd. He flew to NJ this morning for 2nd interview. Usually that means 1st interview great and 2nd talk is for contract terms. What the hell happened? Jags threw boatload of cash at him? Gamble really was #1 all along? Ross flying under radar?

Edited by SouthernJet, 08 January 2013 - 04:19 PM.

Posted Image

#57 CM28

CM28

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationStockholm Sweden

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

the Jets could have 0 fans and sell no tickets and still make money from the TV contract which is a 1/32 slice of a 10 billion dollar per year pie (313 mil). People say that winning will make Woody money, that's not really true. 31 teams fall short every year and they all make money. and btw no one buys an NFL team to make money. there's alot easier and better ways to invest than owning an NFL franchise.

Ok fair point, but lets talk about why you should buy a team then. Hopefully you have been a lifetime fan or close to it. You want your team to win SB as you are most likely a very competetive guy. You want to be taken serious as you are a successful business man.

What is wrong with this Woody? Where does he come from, I mean what made him buy the team in the first place? There must be another reason.

#58 Pac

Pac

shark jumper

• Members
  • 14,336 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

if true, really odd. He flew to NJ this morning for 2nd interview. Usually that means 1st interview great and 2nd talk is for contract terms. What the hell happened? Jags threw boatload of cash at him? Gamble really was #1 all along? Ross flying under radar?

I'm hoping Gamble was the target all along and there's a lot of misinformation intentionally coming out of Floram Park. About time they learn to manipulate the media.

But I guess you can't rule out the possibility Caldwell heard that PC and passed. I can't see how that would happen given he had to have been told the situation in the 1st interview.

Edited by Pac, 08 January 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#59 Lizard King

Lizard King

Perpetual Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5,389 posts
  • LocationThe Himalayas

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

That's not on the Falcons homepage on Yahoo.

#60 Scott Dierking

Scott Dierking

Jerk

• Members
  • 13,252 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

Woody, during the press conference, said what great outside candidates the Jets were interviewing, and then quickly interjected the great internal candidates also. It was almost an afterthought, in deference to Cohen.

i do not believe Cohen is the guy.
Originally Posted by Blackout
LOL ignorance is bless.

#61 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,626 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

That's not on the Falcons homepage on Yahoo.

close it looks like

https://twitter.com/MikeSilver
Posted Image

#62 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,964 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Hey! It's not Woody Johnson's fault that Tom Gamble and Peyton Manning both failed their Jet interviews!
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#63 Lizard King

Lizard King

Perpetual Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5,389 posts
  • LocationThe Himalayas

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

close it looks like

https://twitter.com/MikeSilver

That's not fact though. These are tense times dude!

#64 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,626 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

That's not fact though. These are tense times dude!

nope, but bad sign, very bad sign
Posted Image

#65 bmd71

bmd71

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

I've been thinking about this. After the press conference I thought Cohen was going to be the guy. Now I'm having second thoughts. Gamble, Caldwell, Ross, and Cohen all have interviewed but we've yet to name a replacement GM. What I really think is NONE of them wants to be the GM here. In typical Jets fashion, we've been turned down by every single GM candidate that we've interviewed. Even our in house guy is going to turn us down because he knows first hand what kind of circus this organization is. I bet he goes to Cleveland. I just have a gut feeling that we're going to be left scrambling to find a replacement for Tannenbaum. Who in their right mind would want to be the GM of this team after watching that press conference?

Edited by bmd71, 08 January 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#66 Lizard King

Lizard King

Perpetual Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5,389 posts
  • LocationThe Himalayas

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

nope, but bad sign, very bad sign

I'm not even kidding that this whole press conference ruined my whole day. I was getting so excited and now I couldn't feel worse. I guess anything's possible, and I hope we can look back and quote me for being such a nervous btch after one of the better candidates comes in at the last second. Cause i feel about as bad as I've ever felt as a fan right now

#67 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 21,929 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

you gotta be kidding me...

#68 whodeawhodat

whodeawhodat

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationI was up above it, now I'm down in it.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Want to understand-how exactly would Jimmy Haslem introduce Scott Cohn as the man to replace Mike Holmgren as GM? How would you sell that to your fan base, and how could you look in the mirror afterward?

The Jets are playing us. The headhunter, the vaunted search, toiday's press conference, all smoke and mirrors to cover up that until further notice the overgrown child named Rex Ryan is running the whole damn show.

and you thought that Rex was just a DC. He is actually a jedi that has mindfvcked the whole jets organization into doing his bidding. yes jets fans, let your anger flow through you...

#69 Lil Bit Special

Lil Bit Special

pumba lookin ass- Chris Ivory

• Members
  • 23,012 posts

I've been thinking about this. After the press conference I thought Cohen was going to be the guy. Now I'm having second thoughts. Gamble, Caldwell, Ross, and Cohen all have interviewed but we've yet to name a replacement GM. What I really think is NONE of them wants to be the GM here. In typical Jets fashion, we've been turned down by every single GM candidate that we've interviewed. Even our in house guy is going to turn us down because he knows first hand what kind of circus this organization is. I bet he goes to Cleveland. I just have a gut feeling that we're going to be left scrambling to find a replacement for Tannenbaum. Who in their right mind would want to be the GM of this team after watching that press conference?

Jets want a guy who will work as a team member. None of these guys seem to want to do this. I expect the Jets headhunters will find an unknown candidate to fill the spot
 photo c82dba5d-cef7-4044-a308-6f6302c7ad1c.jpg

#70 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,857 posts

I'm not even kidding that this whole press conference ruined my whole day. I was getting so excited and now I couldn't feel worse. I guess anything's possible, and I hope we can look back and quote me for being such a nervous btch after one of the better candidates comes in at the last second. Cause i feel about as bad as I've ever felt as a fan right now

perhaps you should re-examine your expectations.

#71 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 7,908 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Hey! It's not Woody Johnson's fault that Tom Gamble and Peyton Manning both failed their Jet interviews!

So not true.

Woody passed on Peyton Manning!

#72 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,626 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

His Bio:
http://www.newyorkje...hen,-Scott.html
Posted Image

#73 Lizard King

Lizard King

Perpetual Mediocrity

• Members
  • 5,389 posts
  • LocationThe Himalayas

perhaps you should re-examine your expectations.

They really had my hopes up when I got really wrapped up into the whole Korn/Ferry "new attitude in the office" thing. Then Rex spoke and Woody said "I concur" and that was probably when the depression set in.

#74 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 21,929 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Korn Ferry. Geniuses.

#75 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,857 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

They really had my hopes up when I got really wrapped up into the whole Korn/Ferry "new attitude in the office" thing. Then Rex spoke and Woody said "I concur" and that was probably when the depression set in.

new attitudes don't win rings. Franchise QBs do. Until the Jets get one and Brady retires, expect more of the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users