Why Rex WASN'T Fired

SoFlaJets

Let's face it guys, with everybody else being gone do you think that Woody Johnson would have been able to handle that press conference all by himself today? I mean there is no GM, no OC, No DC, no STs coach, no QB coach, hell there ain't even a strength and conditioning guy anymore....all that is left is Scott Cohen and maybe Dennis Thurman....and Rexy....God help us...we so effed

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex wasn't fired because he's a better coach than anyone available (including Andy Reid, Lovie Smith, etc.)

Rex also wasn't fired because he has an overall winning record and only now has one losing season.

There are people on this board who didn't want to see Herm go who want Rex fired? That's friggin' insane to me.

Rex also wasn't fired because he has an overall winning record and only now has one losing season.

There are people on this board who didn't want to see Herm go who want Rex fired? That's friggin' insane to me.

The only thing I like about Rex is this team should have collapsed like the Cardinals did. This tells me Rex does have something special as a coach. I just fear he wont realize until after he's fired what he needs to do to be a great coach.

That being said, when reviewing a coach's performance, won-loss record doesnt tell the whole story.

Rex wasn't fired because based on what he has done so far he deserves to be the Head Coach and Head Coach only of this team. You have Sanchez as your QB and you have only ONE losing season. How is that not a out of this world accomplishment.

Having Sanchez as his QB for 4 years is why he SHOULD be fired.

Rex wasn't fired because based on what he has done so far he deserves to be the Head Coach and Head Coach only of this team. You have Sanchez as your QB and you have only ONE losing season. How is that not a out of this world accomplishment.

It is. For some reason this board doesnt get it though. Its strange.

The only thing I like about Rex is this team should have collapsed like the Cardinals did. This tells me Rex does have something special as a coach. I just fear he wont realize until after he's fired what he needs to do to be a great coach.

That being said, when reviewing a coach's performance, won-loss record doesnt tell the whole story.

The last two games was the Jets showing up?

Rex is helping to pick the GM so who's really in charge? Plus they're now talking Scott Cohen. Rex will be pulling the strings again

Worst case scenario. Seriously.

I'll wait 'til it happens before I get pissed off about it, though.

Rex wasn't fired because he's owed 6 mil. And that's real money. Rex might have gotten another job right away... or he might have gone to ESPN and pocketed the money.

1. Increase parking fee

2. Increase hot dog cost.

And yes, if the Jets fired Rex, he would be a head coach somewhere else by the weekend.

Rex wasn't fired because he's owed 6 mil. And that's real money. Rex might have gotten another job right away... or he might have gone to ESPN and pocketed the money.

yea, sounds about right. Woody does seem like the kind of person who has to buy his loyalty and friends

Brian Costello@BrianCoz

Source confirms that Dennis Thurman is the new defensive coordinator, as Rex hinted at in press conference. #nyj

Details Expand Collapse

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN

Jets in flux. Sparano fired. Pettine not returning. Dennis Thurman to take over as new d-coordinator. Story: http://nydn.us/UGFx3K #nyjDetails Expand Collapse

Seth Walder@SethWalderNYDN

Rex: "Mike Pettine was not fired. He wanted to pursue other opportunities." #nyj

Expand Collapse

yea, sounds about right. Woody does seem like the kind of person who has to buy his loyalty and friends

what does that mean? Rex has a contract. terminating that contract early means huge money in rex's pocket for doing nothing. woody can wait 1 year and fire Rex for free. this seems like the rational thing to do.

I see alot of comments about Woody, and i'm not saying he's an amazing owner, but he's pretty much what you want in an owner. Stays out of the day-to-day and doesn't meddle. When he fired Tanny at least he knew enough to know he needed help finding a replacement. In fact the only difference between Woody and Bob Kraft is that Bob Kraft got lucky when his franchise found Brady and woody has been somewhat unlucky finding their Qb. of course he was lucky by being born so i guess it all evens out.

what does that mean? Rex has a contract. terminating that contract early means huge money in rex's pocket for doing nothing. woody can wait 1 year and fire Rex for free. this seems like the rational thing to do.

I see alot of comments about Woody, and i'm not saying he's an amazing owner, but he's pretty much what you want in an owner. Stays out of the day-to-day and doesn't meddle. When he fired Tanny at least he knew enough to know he needed help finding a replacement. In fact the only difference between Woody and Bob Kraft is that Bob Kraft got lucky when his franchise found Brady and woody has been somewhat unlucky finding their Qb. of course he was lucky by being born so i guess it all evens out.

Rex's contract is through 2014, so if Rex fires him next off season, he would still owe him the 2014 salary (unless someone else signs him).

If you believe Woody stays out of the football business, who was responsible for bringing in Tebow?

If you believe Woody stays out of the football business, who was responsible for bringing in Tebow?

the story that Rex told was that he and tanny were in an airport when the news broke that Peyton was being signed by Denver. they both wondered what about Tebow and they both thought it was great. This idea that Woody is dictating football moves, it's based on nothing. Like I said Im not saying Woody's amazing but he's basically hands off with the team, which is what you want. Now he's clueless according to everyone but at least he knows he's clueless.

the story that Rex told was that he and tanny were in an airport when the news broke that Peyton was being signed by Denver. they both wondered what about Tebow and they both thought it was great. This idea that Woody is dictating football moves, it's based on nothing. Like I said Im not saying Woody's amazing but he's basically hands off with the team, which is what you want. Now he's clueless according to everyone but at least he knows he's clueless.

I think this is pretty close. he may come up with 'ideas', but I am sure if MOST of his football guys guys say 'eh, maybe not Sir', he will back off.

I am just so curious to hear that Rex actually has input to personnel decisions. So many here are telling me he doesn't. he has his hands tied.

Let's face it guys, with everybody else being gone do you think that Woody Johnson would have been able to handle that press conference all by himself today? I mean there is no GM, no OC, No DC, no STs coach, no QB coach, hell there ain't even a strength and conditioning guy anymore....all that is left is Scott Cohen and maybe Dennis Thurman....and Rexy....God help us...we so effed

So you're saying Rex wasn't fired cause Woody was scared to go to a press conference by himself? OK.

Archived