Why Rex WASN'T Fired

SoFlaJets

those odds are drastically reduced when you have an owner who has other priorities that are more important to him than what should be his FIRST-you know like oh let's just say...politics

the interest level of the owner is hugely overrated. If Woody was more interested in football than politics, that doesn't put Tom Brady in a green uniform.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My concern about Rex is what he does with the Jets. If he should win someplace else rather than here, well good for him. It is not helping us today.

A good football man-Someone who makes decision that fit the mold of a pre-determined shape of a team. A model that is malleable, but is consistent in theory. They draft talent based on talent alone, not on need or a prejudice of a unit. They make smart free agent moves to fill in, to subsidize the draft, and do not become over-loyal, because of prior relationships or temerity of cutting someone.

ie-someone who does not bring in a Tim Tebow, because it is a shiny toy. There is a purpose to moves.

Each NFL year is a dog year in terms of our life spans. Rosters change, personnel shift, and good teams adjust.

For those fans that want to live 3 and 4 years ago, and discuss what a great run that was-that is over. It was eons ago and this team and its coach or not reflective of that any more. get over your boyish enthusiasm and understand this team for what it truly is. Miscast and mismanaged.

Coaches have a shelf life. Some or shorter than others. rex's style gives him a short shelf life. get rid of moldy bread.

Fair enough on the first point. But I do think he'll get a shot elsewhere, and I think he'll take it when he does.

You're looking for the perfect GM. Okay, good luck with that.

Rex did not bring in Tebow.

Good teams adjust? Really, to me the only teams that remain consistent are the ones with elite QB's. Baltimore too I'll grant you. Other than that - It's Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees, Ben - They are the constants, the work is built around them. We do not have an elite QB or even a franchise/serviceable one. We took our shot and missed, that's a problem for any organisation and can happen anyone, believe it or not.

We're not even close to being one of the more dysfunctional organisations, we have rebuilt and remianed competitive over the last decade - Compare that to the Browns, Raiders, Dolphins, Bills, Lions, Jaguars. We've been miles ahead of them and this is without the franchise QB, which is why we're below the top tier.

Wait, I should forget about 3 or 4 years ago? You mean I should throw out the window HALF of our HC's body of work to fit your agenda? That seems reasonable. It's a while ago, not close to eons ago and we still have a lot of that talent on our team, some of them still very much players, some not so.

Leave my boyish enthusiasm alone. I like it.

I don't agree that he's done, at all. His style can hurt him but I wouldn't say it has a shelf life, it's very boom or bust, which isn't necessarily a terrible thing.

Fair enough on the first point. But I do think he'll get a shot elsewhere, and I think he'll take it when he does.

You're looking for the perfect GM. Okay, good luck with that.

Rex did not bring in Tebow.

Good teams adjust? Really, to me the only teams that remain consistent are the ones with elite QB's. Baltimore too I'll grant you. Other than that - It's Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees, Ben - They are the constants, the work is built around them. We do not have an elite QB or even a franchise/serviceable one. We took our shot and missed, that's a problem for any organisation and can happen anyone, believe it or not.

We're not even close to being one of the more dysfunctional organisations, we have rebuilt and remianed competitive over the last decade - Compare that to the Browns, Raiders, Dolphins, Bills, Lions, Jaguars. We've been miles ahead of them and this is without the franchise QB, which is why we're below the top tier.

Wait, I should forget about 3 or 4 years ago? You mean I should throw out the window HALF of our HC's body of work to fit your agenda? That seems reasonable. It's a while ago, not close to eons ago and we still have a lot of that talent on our team, some of them still very much players, some not so.

Leave my boyish enthusiasm alone. I like it.

I don't agree that he's done, at all. His style can hurt him but I wouldn't say it has a shelf life, it's very boom or bust, which isn't necessarily a terrible thing.

What I don't understand is Rex should get all the credit for his first two seasons, but his last two seasons he gets a pass?

I hate when they do that for coaches who somehow win a super bowl. Like Gruden did with Tampa. He won a super bowl his first season there and really did a terrible job after that. Truth be told, Rex had one good regular season as a NY Jets HC. The other 3 seasons the Jets really were 8-8, 8-8, 6-10. That's a good HC?

Sometimes you do need luck and a bad division. Ask Tom Coughlin. The Giants are a super bowl team one week, one of the worst teams the next. ANd they've been that team for years. Remember he was going to be fired. Eli was thought to be closer to a bust than a top QB. But the Giants somehow won the super bowl in 2007. Last year, same scenario. Giants win the super bowl again. But the Giants under Coughlin are still that team who never seems to show up week in and week out. He gets a pass because he's won a couple of super bowls now, but the reality is if Green Bay makes a kick or the 49ers don't fumble the ball, would Coughlin still be the HC of the Giants?

The Jets have been a .500 team under Rex. And now the team is looking like more of a rebuild than a team closer to contending for a super bowl. Not blaming Rex for taking a 9-7 team and turning them into a team that everybody thinks will go 4-12 next season is kind of short sighted.

The Jets have been a .500 team under Rex. And now the team is looking like more of a rebuild than a team closer to contending for a super bowl.

why is lovie smith or ken whisenhunt better to rebuild the jets than Rex? Where are the better HC candidates? Gamble wants to elevate a defensive line coach Tomasula to HC. not a coordinator, a DL coach. I'm all about upgrades but there are no HC upgrades available right now.

What I don't understand is Rex should get all the credit for his first two seasons, but his last two seasons he gets a pass?

I hate when they do that for coaches who somehow win a super bowl. Like Gruden did with Tampa. He won a super bowl his first season there and really did a terrible job after that. Truth be told, Rex had one good regular season as a NY Jets HC. The other 3 seasons the Jets really were 8-8, 8-8, 6-10. That's a good HC?

Sometimes you do need luck and a bad division. Ask Tom Coughlin. The Giants are a super bowl team one week, one of the worst teams the next. ANd they've been that team for years. Remember he was going to be fired. Eli was thought to be closer to a bust than a top QB. But the Giants somehow won the super bowl in 2007. Last year, same scenario. Giants win the super bowl again. But the Giants under Coughlin are still that team who never seems to show up week in and week out. He gets a pass because he's won a couple of super bowls now, but the reality is if Green Bay makes a kick or the 49ers don't fumble the ball, would Coughlin still be the HC of the Giants?

The Jets have been a .500 team under Rex. And now the team is looking like more of a rebuild than a team closer to contending for a super bowl. Not blaming Rex for taking a 9-7 team and turning them into a team that everybody thinks will go 4-12 next season is kind of short sighted.

Where the hell have I given him a pass? I haven't, he hasn't, no one has.

He deserves a lot of the criticism he gets and brings a lot more than he should get on himself with his personality. He deserves a lot of the blame for what has happened. I just don't believe he's done enough to merit getting fired, not after the promise shown in years one and two.

Those records you put out there, they were accumulated while developing Sanchez from a rookie. He regressed after year 2, which again Rex must take his share of the blame for, but considering we were so below par in that area, the most important position in the sport by far, to break .500 says a lot about the rest of the team.

I think firing Rex this season will be premature. We are still going to live with the after effects of Tebow signing and Sanchez extension. We need to give Rex a one to two seasons to see if he has what it takes. He has some deficiencies like not being involved with offense. And hope he makes some progress on those.

I would love to see what this team does next season. Specially if we even get an average starting QB. If its a winning season its a no brainer to keep him.

What i find ironic is the same people wanting Rex to be fired are some of the very same people who want Cowher to be hired. You gotta check how many seasons Cowher took with the Steelers to win a Super Bowl!

I'd consider placing money on it actually, but I don't necessarily think I'll be proven right when he's with the Jets. The scenario you posted, that will probably happen. We have the Mexican heist of a contract to thank for that.

What is a proven football man? The son of one of the all time great defensive co-ordinators, the brother of a (former) NFL defensive co-ordinator and a guy who was considered one of the best defensive co-ordinators in the game? Would that legislate as a “football man”?

I think Rex is a good coach. A very good coach who made one dreadful mistake (drafting Sanchez) which has haunted him and probably cost him one or more Superbowls, a mistake I don’t even blame him for making. It was the right play after Favre had abandoned the team. I hate Favre, hated him before he came, while he was here and even more now, had he stayed with the Jets in 2009 we probably enter the 2009 playoffs the #1 seed and as the team to beat, so good was Rex’s defense. Alas, he ****ed off and we needed a QB, we got Sanchez. If Rex handpicked him then yes he has a lot of the blame to take, but it could have gone either way, and you know it. That’s the draft, that’s the years class he had to work with. Being tied with Sanchez really hurt him, and Tanny effectively killed him with the extension. The worst move in the history of the NFL. The worst.

You don’t get to the AFCCG with one of the worst 5 QB’s in the NFL with bad coaching, it’s not possible. They’re the two most important people on the team. I know which one performed and which didn’t.

Edit: ****ing email format bullsh*t.

too small:didnt read

WRONG. Rex wasn't fired because the franchise lacks a Football Man to guide Woody and tell him this is not The One. Its pretty gd clear to me he can't win a Super Bowl, because a real HC would have done it by now. He has a proven he has a ceiling as an 11 win coach, which SOUNDS good but elite guys routinely put out 12-13 in their sleep.

How many coaches won a superbowl in their first 4 years? Which of them do you want to hire?

According to who?

Reid took over a 3-13 Eagles team who had no QB. Everybody wanted Ricky Williams. They drafted McNabb.

Reids first 4 years as HC of a bad Eagles team.

1998 3-13 Year Before Reid

1999 - 5-11

2000 - 11-5 won a playoff game... Eagles first playoff win since 1995.

2001 - 11-5 NFC East division champ, made it to NFC Championship game

2002 12-4 NFC East division champ, made it to NFC Championship game

2003 12-4 NFC East division champ, made it to NFC Championship game

2004 13-3 NFC East division champ, made it to Super Bowl

Rex Ryans years as NY Jets HC.

2008 - 9-7 Year Before Rex Ryan. Jets were what, 7-2 at one point in the season, Favre injured, Mangini did a poor job down the stretch.

2009 9-7 but we all know the Jets were an 8-8 team (Colts forfeited the damn game).... made it to AFC Championship game

2010 11-5 made it to AFC Championship game

2011 8-8

2012 6-10

2013 "Thought to be a rebuilding year?"

I'm a bit confused on what math and system you are using to say Rex Ryan is a better coach, player evaluator, etc compared to Andy Reid.

Every coach has his weaknesses, and CLEARLY Reid has some of his own. Rex's weakness is evaluation. He needs assistance there.

But as to "what system" I'm using, Rex has had nearly as much success as Reid in half the time and with 1/10th of the QB play.

Now, if the Jets HAD fired Rex and gone with Reid, I wouldn't be infuriated. It would not have been the right call, but I could have dealt with it.

However, firing Rex and taking a shot in the dark on a coach, as many seem willing to do... that's foolish.

Archived