5 reasons to avoid jets' GM job.....5 reasons to take jets GM job ~ ~ ~

kelly

Interviewer: "So are you upto tough challenges ?"

Gamble : "Always. Love challenges!"

Interviewer:"So why didn't you take the JETS job"

Gamble : "At the time of our first interview we decided to allow one another more time before we finalized our deal. They (the Jets) needed to comply with the Rooney Rule, and I was in the middle of a deep playoff run...I didn't want the FortyNiners to think I had lost focus on my present responsibilties and agreed to meet again with Woody after the season had ended."

Interviewer: "So why didn't you take the job?"

Gamble : "The Jets fanbase required immediate action to appease their fans, and Woody decided to go another direction.

Gamble : "At the time of our first interview we decided to allow one another more time before we finalized our deal. They (the Jets) needed to comply with the Rooney Rule, and I was in the middle of a deep playoff run...I didn't want the FortyNiners to think I had lost focus on my present responsibilties and agreed to meet again with Woody after the season had ended."

Gamble : "The Jets fanbase required immediate action to appease their fans, and Woody decided to go another direction.

Yes..that would fly!

So I guess the 2014 Super Bowl in our own stadium is out of the question then huh? :-/ oh boy.....2013-2014 season may be a LONG one guys!! Who do we get with #1 draft pick in 2014? I say Terry Bridgewater. The tattoo (and the $) buys Sanchez another year. Rex can go 0-16 and still have his job. Crazy cap issues...we went from SB contender to bottom of the barrel in a very short time

A Candidate Who Has a Clue

Jets GM Hopeful Ted Sundquist Predicted Sanchez/Tebow Might Not Work—Just Check His Blog

Sundquist predicted the Jets would have a mess at quarterback.

That the Jets have been tight-lipped about their general-manager search is, if possible, both surprising and expected.On the one hand, since hiring Rex Ryan as coach in 2009, the Jets have been the NFL's equivalent of a traveling salesman on a cross-country flight: They're going to talk, whether you want to ignore them or not. On the other hand, headhunter Jed Hughes of Korn/Ferry International KFY -1.15% is in charge of finding the new GM, and Hughes has a reputation for conducting searches that are always thorough and usually quiet.But if the Jets' reticence about the process makes it difficult to get a read on whom they might hire and, more important, how their next general manager might go about business, at least one candidate has eliminated some of the guesswork.

Ted Sundquist, the Denver Broncos' general manager from 2002 to 2008, interviewed with the Jets late last week, according to reports. (A Jets spokesman said the team wouldn't comment until the search had run its course.) But if the Jets or any of their fans wanted to get a sense of Sundquist's views or philosophies on drafting, signing or trading players, all they had to do was go online.Sundquist, who didn't respond to attempts to contact him, has maintained two websites, TedSundquist38.com and TheFootballEducator.com. There, he has blogged about the various decisions that a general manager must make, critiquing actual player-personnel scenarios and questions that had arisen around the league. In light of Sundquist's posts, it is no wonder Hughes, owner Woody Johnson and team president Neil Glat would want to interview him, for he has written in depth about the Jets—their quarterback situation, in particular.

For instance, in an entry on TedSundquist38.com dated March 26, 2012—four days after the Jets acquired Tim Tebow from the Broncos—Sundquist wrote that Tebow would go "up against another stressed out signal caller in New York's Mark Sanchez" for the starting-quarterback job. He accused the Jets of lacking "a detailed developmental plan" for grooming Sanchez into a franchise quarterback after they drafted him with the fifth overall pick in 2009, and he argued they needed to put one that could help Sanchez and Tebow into effect."For either young player to thrive this season it will be important that the Jets be upfront and communicate with both exactly what their role will be," he wrote. "Otherwise NYJ will likely enter 2012 with two 'head cases' under center."

As it turned out, Sundquist was right: Other than naming Sanchez the starter and Tebow the backup, the Jets never did set specific guidelines for how they would use the two quarterbacks, and each one's play (and in Tebow's case, playing time) suffered. Sanchez had the most trying season of his four-year career, completing less than 55% of his passes and committing 26 turnovers.In a Dec. 19 post on TheFootballEducator.com, Sundquist suggested the Jets should have seen such problems coming.Sundquist wrote that Sanchez, while in college at Southern California, had "violated the 36/60 rule when he was drafted" by the Jets. That is, he had neither started at least 36 games nor completed at least 60% of his passes during his collegiate career, making him a risky selection."These are hard numbers that paint a compelling picture of future success," Sundquist had written in an earlier blog post. As an example,he cited another former USC quarterback: the Kansas City Chiefs' Matt Cassel, who had attempted just 33 passes in college, signed a six-year, $63 million contract in 2009 and was now all but finished as Kansas City's starter."The numbers just didn't add up," Sundquist wrote Nov. 22, referring to Cassel's deal.

Granted, it is easy to second-guess general managers' decisions after they have made them. So what would Sundquist do if the Jets were to hire him ? He addressed that topic on TheFootballEducator.com on Jan. 7—just days before the Jets reportedly interviewed him.Within his first 30 days as general manager, he wrote, he would follow six principles that Michael Kanazawa, an expert in corporate strategy and transformation, had espoused for implementing an organizational action plan. Sundquist also cited research showing that the most important and positive steps a new senior executive can take in his first 100 days on the job are "to assemble and solidify a team" and "articulate a vision and goals."

The source of that research ? Korn/Ferry International.

> http://online.wsj.co...SJ_topics_obama

Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross, among the first group of candidates to interview for the Jets' general-manager vacancy, has withdrawn his name, according to the New York Post.

In other news, I'm announcing that I won't run for President of the United States in 2016.

Ross was a non-factor in the Jets' search for Mike Tannenbaum's replacement, according to sources. Ross is a young executive with a bright future, but it wasn't going to happen with the Jets.

At this point, based on the direction of the search and what people are saying, I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets pick a so-called "cap" guy -- either Seahawks VP of football administration John Idzik or Steelers director of business and administration Omar Khan.

To that, I quote former longtime GM Bill Polian, who told SI's Peter King: "Football teams need to be led by football men who know how coaches think, how players think. You can't learn that in business school or law school."

> http://espn.go.com/b...-exec-pulls-out

So I guess the 2014 Super Bowl in our own stadium is out of the question then huh? :-/ oh boy.....2013-2014 season may be a LONG one guys!! Who do we get with #1 draft pick in 2014? I say Terry Bridgewater. The tattoo (and the $) buys Sanchez another year. Rex can go 0-16 and still have his job. Crazy cap issues...we went from SB contender to bottom of the barrel in a very short time

This brings up an excellent point. The big game is played in our house next year. How sweet would it be to have us in the SB in our own house? Exactly. Woody knows that.

The 2013-14 season should be one of re-building and flushing out some cap issues, and It's actually perfect timing given the talent coming out in the 2014 draft if we were to have another sub .500 season. However, Woody is going to want the big dance in his house. I can see us making some ridiculously splashy signings just to make a push for the Super Bowl next year...even if it sets us back another five.

btw, what is this "bottom of the barrel" business you're talking about... 16 teams in the NFL had 7 wins or less. It was just a funky year. A LOT of injuries this year also.

Sources : Jets to pick GM soon

After searching for more than two weeks, the New York Jets are poised to name their next general manager. They will hire Mike Tannenbaum's replacement as early as Thursday, according to league sources.The front-runners are John Idzik and Omar Khan, front-office executives from the Seattle Seahawks and Pittsburgh Steelers, respectively, sources said. Jets assistant GM Scott Cohen also is considered a finalist.

Idzik and Khan were brought back for second interviews this week. In fact, Idzik was scheduled to meet Wednesday with team officials. Khan's second interview occurred Tuesday.

The Jets have interviewed no fewer than nine candidates, only two of whom have GM experience -- Jerry Angelo and Ted Sundquist, formerly of the Chicago Bears and Denver Broncos, respectively. Angelo has been involved in follow-up discussions with the team, but he hasn't been invited back for a second interview.Because they've talked to so many candidates in a seemingly meandering search, the Jets have come under criticism from those who believe it's an unattractive job. Sources close to the search, however, said from the outset it could take three weeks.

The Jets decided to expand the search after interviewing the top four names on their list, including former Atlanta Falcons director of player personnel Dave Caldwell. They were reportedly prepared to offer him a $1 million housing allowance, but Caldwell was hired by the Jacksonville Jaguars.CBSSports.com had earlier reported that the Jets would hire a new GM by Thursday.Idzik and Khan weren't among the first round of interviews.

The Jets also changed their objective along the way. The initial goal was to hire a GM with a strong scouting background, but Idzik and Khan are experts in salary-cap management and contract negotiations. If the Jets go in that direction, it could mean a greater say in personnel for coach Rex Ryan.Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said Khan shouldn't be stereotyped as a cap guy."He's very knowledgeable about how this business works -- I mean the football business, not just the business side of it," Colbert told reporters Wednesday in Pittsburgh. "He's been very strong in salary cap administration, but he's also observed and learned a lot about how the player personnel side of things works. We think he's ready and, if he gets the opportunity, good for him."

> http://espn.go.com/n...ion-sources-say

Seattle Seahawks executive John Idzik has emerged as the clear front-runner to become the New York Jets' general manager and could be offered the job as early as Thursday night, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Pittsburgh Steelers executive Omar Khan is the other finalist for the job, according to league sources.Idzik and Khan both were brought back for second interviews this week.The Jets have changed their objective during their two-week search to find a replacement for GM Mike Tannenbaum, who was fired Dec. 31. The initial goal was to hire a GM with a strong scouting background, but Idzik and Khan are experts in salary-cap management and contract negotiations. If the Jets go in that direction, it could mean a greater say in personnel for coach Rex Ryan.

Idzik's strengths include managing salaries and the salary cap, but he has also worked in player personnel. He has been with the Seahawks the past six seasons after previously working in the front office for Tampa Bay and Arizona.The Jets have interviewed no fewer than nine candidates, only two of whom have GM experience -- Jerry Angelo and Ted Sundquist, formerly of the Chicago Bears and Denver Broncos, respectively. Angelo has been involved in follow-up discussions with the team, but he hasn't been invited back for a second interview.

Because they've talked to so many candidates in a seemingly meandering search, the Jets have come under criticism from those who believe it's an unattractive job. Sources close to the search, however, said from the outset it could take three weeks.

> http://espn.go.com/n...cording-sources

Jets GM John Idzik inherits a big mess

A case can be made that John Idzik just accepted the toughest general manager job in the NFL this offseason. The New York Jets, who agreed to terms with Idzik Friday, are a mess in more ways than one. The former Seattle Seahawks executive has inherited a long checklist of things to fix in New York. Let's examine the many challenges that await Idzik:

• nfl_u_jidzik_jh_200.jpg
    Among the top items on new GM John Idzik's to-do list: get the Jets' salary cap in order and find a quarterback.

• Fix the cap :
  • The Jets are nearly $20 million over the salary cap, according to a recent report from ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton. Former general manager Mike Tannenbaum put together an old and overpaid roster the past couple of years and left the next person – Idzik -- to foot the bill. Idzik will have to gut New York’s roster of expensive veterans and immediately get younger. Older, high-salary players like Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Jason Smith and Eric Smith are the most likely targets to be released.

• Find a quarterback :
  • The Jets will pay Mark Sanchez $8.25 million in guaranteed salary next season. But that doesn’t guarantee Sanchez will be the starting quarterback. Idzik’s job is to find the best quarterback New York can afford to compete against or supplant Sanchez. That could come via free agency or the draft. Sanchez had four seasons to prove that he is the long-term solution and failed. The Jets will have a new offense and a new offensive coordinator. If things work out properly, New York could also have a new quarterback.

• Relating to Ryan :
  • Reportedly one of the big holdups during New York’s general manager search was candidates weren't going to be able to pick their own head coach. Jets owner Woody Johnson made it clear that the charismatic Rex Ryan is here to stay. Ryan led New York to back-to-back AFC title games in 2009 and 2010 and still has some equity from that. Idzik must successfully work hand-in-hand with Ryan for the Jets to turn things around.

• In-house free agents :
  • The Jets have a few tough decisions to make with their own free agents. New York Pro Bowl safety LaRon Landry, starting tailback Shonn Greene and tight end Dustin Keller are all looking for contract extensions. As we mentioned earlier, New York’s salary cap will be very limited. It is possible the Jets could lose all three.

• Tebow dilemma :
  • It’s clear that the coaching staff -- and particularly Ryan -- wants nothing to do with Tebow. An educated guess is Idzik agrees with Ryan and will trade or release Tebow sooner rather than later. The distraction that Tebow brings simply wasn’t worth it. He was never a good fit in New York. Idzik will try to pull off a coup by getting something, perhaps a late-round draft pick, in exchange for the polarizing backup quarterback. But an outright release seems more likely.

There is a reason the Jets were the last team to find a general manager this offseason. This was not an attractive job for many of the reasons we listed above. But Idzik obviously is a person who is not afraid of big challenges -- and it's time to get to work.

> http://espn.go.com/b...rits-a-big-mess

Archived