Peter King relates from Ryan's book, how the Jets chose mark Sanchez

Scott Dierking

http://www.balltribe.com/toolbar/7114

Ryan tells an interesting story in the book about pursuing a franchise quarterback once he got the Jets job. The choice came down to USC's Mark Sanchez and Kansas State's Josh Freeman. "We sent both of them a mini-playbook and asked them to learn what they could from it before they met with us,'' Ryan told me. "They both blew the doors off us when we got them in a room. We'd ask about out formations and bam-bam-bam, they knew it all quick. Both very, very sharp guys.''

But in telling the story in the book, Ryan says one of the factors that swayed the Jets was how Sanchez was regarded by his peers. He said 24 high school and college mates showed up to catch balls for Sanchez. When they'd been to Kansas State to work out Freeman, two of his receivers showed up. "Honestly,'' Ryan told me, "that might have been what separated them -- the immense respect we sensed from the people who played with Mark and knew him so well.''

The Jets traded up from 17 to five in the first round to take Sanchez. Imagine if they hadn't; who'd have taken Sanchez? Oakland, at seven? San Francisco, at 10? Buffalo, at 11 (saving the Aaron Maybin embarrassment)? Washington, at 13?

-----------------------------------------------------------

For one, it sounds like Rex WAS involved in the process. Second, a very Rex type of decision-see how many of his friends like him? He HAS to be good.

I never read the Ryan book (I usually read most jet related books, but knew his would be bluster). Can anyone tell me from his book how involved he says he is in drafting players and selection?

He was obv very involved in all picks and Tanny had 0 ability to grade talent.. Empty suit at top, I'm sure Rex filled the void and had the final call on every pick

Exactly, Tanny knew that he had no ability to judge talent. Rather than being a gunslinger and making up his own mind, I imagine it was decision by committee, with heavy Rex influence. That way, nobody shakes the tree

Exactly, Tanny knew that he had no ability to judge talent. Rather than being a gunslinger and making up his own mind, I imagine it was decision by committee, with heavy Rex influence. That way, nobody shakes the tree

I'd be willing to be Rex made final call everytime

The Jets picked vastly different types of players when Mangini coached here versus when Rex coached here. You people exonerating Rex for the roster are absurd.

Are people seriously doing that? I have a hard time beliving anyone thinks otherwise.. how many times do we have to go defense in first round before you figure it out

I'm trying to imagine Mangini coaching Santonio Holmes or drafting Quintin Coples.

The Mangini draft "process" heh....was as meticulous as it gets. It sounded simple at the time...but Mangini's biggest focal point was finding out if football was the number one thing in their lives. I dont know if Coples woulda passed that test.

Hell 5 years ago people were raving about how in depth the Jets were getting when sitting down with potential picks.

The Mangini draft "process" heh....was as meticulous as it gets. It sounded simple at the time...but Mangini's biggest focal point was finding out if football was the number one thing in their lives. I dont know if Coples woulda passed that test.

Hell 5 years ago people were raving about how in depth the Jets were getting when sitting down with potential picks.

Mangini was stubborn to a fault, IMO. You can't put a championship team together without adding a few psycho crackheads.

The Jets picked vastly different types of players when Mangini coached here versus when Rex coached here. You people exonerating Rex for the roster are absurd.

You don't have to exonerate him for it not to be his fault. We need a GM that can evaluate talent. The fact that Tannenbaum may have rolled over for him just means that Tannenbaum was not a strong GM.

As for this book... are you ****ing serious? You knew the book would be bluster, but you want to pick out a small item of bluster and act like it means something? Silly. Rex talks sh*t. Dierking hates that, which is fair enough, but don't try to ascribe some deep meaning to sh*t talking. FWIW, Freeman hasn't exactly lit the world on fire and he is playing in just about the easiest market out there.

They wanted ROTC enrollees who hunted boar with knives.

It was over the top but at least they were doing their due diligence. Picks were better.

Quality and quantity tell us so. Did Tanny suddenly become stupid? Don't think so.

Both coaches had his ear, and was was smart enough to not trust his own instincts.

Tanny deserves to be gone, but this roster is not of his doing in total.

Then why did they pick Gholston? That was the number one stated pre-draft problem with the kid. He was new to the game and didn't love it. He was more into his bodybuilding.

Then why did they pick Gholston? That was the number one stated pre-draft problem with the kid. He was new to the game and didn't love it. He was more into his bodybuilding.

But he was into the workouts voraciously. Mangini loved you if you were nuts about something. he could take that "nuts about something" and train it to the football field.

Oh, well.

You don't have to exonerate him for it not to be his fault. We need a GM that can evaluate talent. The fact that Tannenbaum may have rolled over for him just means that Tannenbaum was not a strong GM.

As for this book... are you ****ing serious? You knew the book would be bluster, but you want to pick out a small item of bluster and act like it means something? Silly. Rex talks sh*t. Dierking hates that, which is fair enough, but don't try to ascribe some deep meaning to sh*t talking. FWIW, Freeman hasn't exactly lit the world on fire and he is playing in just about the easiest market out there.

Rex is now not responsible for the players he picked or the words in his own book.

Good.

But he was into the workouts voraciously. Mangini loved you if you were nuts about something. he could take that "nuts about something" and train it to the football field.

Oh, well.

I honestly believe there was something to having "workout warriors" on the team. Guys like Gholston and Thomas Jones may not have been the best on the field, but you had better put your work in at the gym. That doesn't hurt.

Rex is now not responsible for the players he picked or the words in his own book.

Good.

He is responsible for players he picked. He shouldn't be picking players. If they are going to let him do that we will probably have a problem. As for the "words in his own book", Rex is full of sh*t. We all know it, why do you want to take him seriously now? Sanchez was probably a better pick than Freeman. He got them close. He has imploded so much now, that he may end up worse in the long run, but the window was there and had a good run. They should be trying to set themselves up for another serious run in 2014.

I honestly believe there was something to having "workout warriors" on the team. Guys like Gholston and Thomas Jones may not have been the best on the field, but you had better put your work in at the gym. That doesn't hurt.

I agree. For some guys, it is a dedication. Like everything else though, it is not a 100% solution.

He was obv very involved in all picks and Tanny had 0 ability to grade talent.. Empty suit at top, I'm sure Rex filled the void and had the final call on every pick

I don't understand how this is not crystal clear to every Jet fan. It's so painfully obvious.

The good news is now he will have even more control and more power!

Yes!

I am kicking my pops in the nuts next time I see him for making me a Jet fan!

Quality and quantity tell us so. Did Tanny suddenly become stupid? Don't think so.

Both coaches had his ear, and was was smart enough to not trust his own instincts.

Tanny deserves to be gone, but this roster is not of his doing in total.

Tanny deserves to be gone because he wasn't a GM. Rex deserves to be gone because he wasn't a GM. He is not even a head coach.

30 posts deep into this thread and no one points out that Josh Freeman and metrocard get you onto the subway. Freeman is marginally better than Sanchez but both guys blow goats right now. let's not pretend like Freeman pick and the Jets are doing great things.

If i've learned anything over the last decade it's that sometimes the draft class just sucks. Every year there's alot of well intentioned draft picks that turn out poorly and there are stats to back it up. Drafts are like gambling you gotta hit when it's hot not try to beat the cooler. the Jets made big bets in bad QB and DE years respectively. Ironically they made a big bet on Revis which was a bad CB year and that might be why Tanny tried it again and again. the Sanchez pick got him fired because Rex is working 80+ hours a week on defense and being a HC. tanny's job is to make that pick.

Archived