Cowher says he wants to coach again eventually

faba

ESPN.com news services

Former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher told Newsday on Tuesday he wants to coach again at some point.

Cowher

The timing of Cowher's comments are interesting. With five teams still looking for a coach, Cowher said at a CBS function to promote coverage of the Super Bowl that he probably will return to the NFL.

"It would be a challenge," said Cowher, who has been a broadcaster since leaving the Steelers in 2006, "but I think that's probably why I would get back into it, because of the challenge."

Cowher, 55, played linebacker for the Cleveland Browns before he was an assistant on Marty Schottenheimer's staff.

He dismissed the idea the game has changed too much since he left.

"I did it for 27 years," he said. "You don't just forget things overnight

Cowher is one of the more overrated coaches of the past 30 years.

Marty disciple, conservative to a fault, lost so many big games...

Really? He compiled a 149-90 total record with the Steelers, went to the Superbowl in 1995 (and could have won had it not been for two Sanchez-like interceptions thrown by Neil O'Donnell), won it in 2007 and should have won it in 2008, the year after he retired. Talk about inhereting a SB calibur team. Tomlin is still living off of the successful system that Cowher put in to place.

The only thing is that in today's NFL where there is so much parody, I'm not sure a team would have the patience to wait the four years it took for Cowher to mold the Steelers in to a blitz-happy, perennial contender . And yes, Cowher did what Rex couldn't, which is successfully implement a ground n' pound game (getting Jerome Bettis did help in that regard, which just goes to show you that there are other managements that actually make smart moves, unlike the Jets).

The Steelers would many of their best players every off season, and yet still managed to be playoff contenders. The only constant there was Bill Cowher. So I think you should look at reality before you call him overrated.

The irony that some Jets fans would want him. LOL

That's right we don't need a smart guy like Cowher in here to be HC....we need the stooge type that is Wrecks Ryan to keep doing a good job that he is.....what a joke.

That's right we don't need a smart guy like Cowher in here to be HC....we need the stooge type that is Wrecks Ryan to keep doing a good job that he is.....what a joke.

I refuse to acknowledge any post that includes the term Wrecks. I find it insulting to me.

The Steelers would many of their best players every off season, and yet still managed to be playoff contenders. The only constant there was Bill Cowher. So I think you should look at reality before you call him overrated.

4 lost AFCCG, 3 at home, 2 where the team was at least a 10 pt favorite.

Good coach. He's not Lombardi. I'd be very careful on giving him full control of a franchise.

I refuse to acknowledge any post that includes the term Wrecks. I find it insulting to me.

Hahah you just did.....seriously though, I was against him being HC from the start. I gave him a chance, and to be brutally honest the team he inherited he has ****ed including the QB......

So when Cowher came close he came closer than when Rex did?

from Wiki: In Cowher’s 15 seasons, the Steelers captured eight division titles, earned ten postseason playoff berths, played in 21 playoff games, advanced to six AFC Championship games and made two Super Bowl appearances. He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles

It's all a moot point anyway because Cowher actually LAUGHED IN THE FACE of the guy who asked him if he would ever consider being the HC of the NYJ

from Wiki: In Cowher’s 15 seasons, the Steelers captured eight division titles, earned ten postseason playoff berths, played in 21 playoff games, advanced to six AFC Championship games and made two Super Bowl appearances. He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles

It's all a moot point anyway because Cowher actually LAUGHED IN THE FACE of the guy who asked him if he would ever consider being the HC of the NYJ

In 4 seasons Rex has coached in six playoff games and advanced to two AFC Championship games. Cowher is one of the most respected coaches out there and rightfully so, but Jets fans would have run him out of town after 2 straight losing seasons.

I'm just pointing out this whole "Rex hasn't proven he can win as a head coach" bullsh*t is bullsh*t. I can understand the guys that don't like the posturing and attitude and think he has lost the team - like Dierking - but don't act like he can't win. I ignore the posturing and attitude and don't think he's lost the team. I think the team was too close, too soon and that makes it difficult to mold the team. I understand the fear that he will not mold it in a good way, but I think taking "Mangini's team" with a sh*tty young QB earns him some points and I'd give him a shot.

I keep going back and forth. I can't decide which cute nickname is funnier: Wrecks Ryan or SanBlowMeOh.

They're just both perfect, it's making my head hurt.

Really? He compiled a 149-90 total record with the Steelers, went to the Superbowl in 1995 (and could have won had it not been for two Sanchez-like interceptions thrown by Neil O'Donnell), won it in 2007 and should have won it in 2008, the year after he retired. Talk about inhereting a SB calibur team. Tomlin is still living off of the successful system that Cowher put in to place.

The only thing is that in today's NFL where there is so much parody, I'm not sure a team would have the patience to wait the four years it took for Cowher to mold the Steelers in to a blitz-happy, perennial contender . And yes, Cowher did what Rex couldn't, which is successfully implement a ground n' pound game (getting Jerome Bettis did help in that regard, which just goes to show you that there are other managements that actually make smart moves, unlike the Jets).

what does the nfl parody?

Rex well respected as defensive coach-head coach- tell me who is saying he is well respected as head coach out there?

Besides Jif and Woody

The great Charlie Casserly said it the other day on NFLN. He said Rex is a great HC and that he's the man for the job.

BTW - Cowher had two 6-10 seasons.

Archived