Cowher says he wants to coach again eventually

faba

A friendly piece of advice, you'd both be far better off blaming each other for coming up with this as opposed to trying to claim the credit.

Thanks but if I go into my memory bank to lets say 4 years ago....I said the Jets should not have signed Wrecks. I don't want the credit nor blaming anyone just calling it like it is....a ****EN DISASTER!

Yeah it only took a decade and the NFL's trademark level of terrible reffing. He made it look so simple.

So Rex gets a pass because Mark Sanchez sucks and is his QB,

but winning with QBs like O'Donell, Kordell Stewart, old QBs (Mike Tomzack, Jim Miller), Tommy Maddox, etc is overlooked?

And honestly, the year the Steelers won the Super Bowl, Big Ben had won of the worst super bowl games I"ve seen.

Makes sense.

What I don't get is how people overlook the Reid's and Cowhers who took over bad bad teams.

The Eagles stunk in the 90s. The Steelers missed the playoffs 6 out of 7 years before Cowher took over.

Both coaches turned those teams around into consistent super bowl contenders.

The Steelers were 7-9 the year before Cowher.

After he became head coach, the Steelers went

11-5, 9-7, 12-4, 11-5, 10-6, 11-5.

So in his first six seasons, the Steelers averaged 11 wins.

Rex took over a 9-7 team and really turned them into an 8-8 team. Four years later the Jets are 6-10 and looking to rebuild.

How is that considered a great HC?

Then Cowher turned that 11-5 team into a 6-10 team!

Didn't he also turn that 6-10 team into a 15-1 team with a rookie QB, followed up by an 11-5 team that won a super bowl?

Like I said, this will be Rex's 5th season as head coach and he hasn't even won a division yet and people are already talking about the Jets rebuilding.

" In Cowher’s 15 seasons, the Steelers captured eight division titles, earned ten postseason playoff berths, played in 21 playoff games, advanced to six AFC Championship games and made two Super Bowl appearances. He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles. It has become an article of faith among NFL pundits that the Steelers do not have a bad team two years in a row – they have never lost 10 or more games in consecutive years since the 1970 NFL merger. At the conclusion of the 2005 season, the Pittsburgh Steelers had the best record of any team in the National Football League since Cowher was hired as head coach. "

I have hope for Rex, but if the Jets keep blaming a lack of some stud QB the next few years for not reaching the playoffs, it becomes a lame excuse. It's already been a lame excuse the past two seasons.

Record of the 2009 Jets: 9-7 (11-8 overall)

On paper, yeah they were 9-7. In reality, nobody in their right mind should ever count that Colts game as a win.

The Jets were really an 8-8 team in 2009, and had a nice playoff run. Bengals show up or not in that last game, I think the Jets win. So thats why 8-8 and not 7-9. It was a good playoff run, but giving Rex and the Jets real credit for winning a game the Colts forfeited is revisionist history.

On paper, yeah they were 9-7. In reality, nobody in their right mind should ever count that Colts game as a win.

The Jets were really an 8-8 team in 2009, and had a nice playoff run. Bengals show up or not in that last game, I think the Jets win. So thats why 8-8 and not 7-9. It was a good playoff run, but giving Rex and the Jets real credit for winning a game the Colts forfeited is revisionist history.

I'm starting to become convinced you don't know what reality is.

I'm sure every Cowher win was earned. That Super Bowl is a great example. The ref *admitted* to messing up at least two calls in that game, so I take that win away.

Forfeit? You play the game when you play the game. The Jets were up 10-9 after the 2nd half kickoff. It was a guarantee that the Jets would lose if Peyton stayed in? The Almighty Manning had put up 10 points the half! Insurmountable!

You mean the same game where the Colts were winning 15-10 when Manning sat?

How did the sequel of that game go? The Colts won 30-17 and Manning had almost 400 yards passing and 3 TDs.

Yeah sitting the future HOF QB Manning for almost the entire second half had nothing to do with the jets winning?

So saying all of that doesn't matter, because hey, you play to win, then why is it suddenly ok to give Rex Ryan a pass the last two seasons for going 8-8 and 6-10?

You can't really use Sanchez as a bad QB excuse if you don't use Manning not playing for two quarters of a game as a reason the Jets won.

You mean the same game where the Colts were winning 15-10 when Manning sat?

How did the sequel of that game go? The Colts won 30-17 and Manning had almost 400 yards passing and 3 TDs.

Yeah sitting the future HOF QB Manning for almost the entire second half had nothing to do with the jets winning?

So saying all of that doesn't matter, because hey, you play to win, then why is it suddenly ok to give Rex Ryan a pass the last two seasons for going 8-8 and 6-10?

You can't really use Sanchez as a bad QB excuse if you don't use Manning not playing for two quarters of a game as a reason the Jets won.

What was the Pats record last year? The Ravens? They won games that the Colts were intentionally trying to lose.

What was the Pats record last year? The Ravens? They won games that the Colts were intentionally trying to lose.

Playing a bad team who won only 2 games all season regardless of what they were trying to do vs a Colts team that was 14-0 and decided to 'rest starters" for the playoffs is far different. Yeah a bad team who could barely win any games vs a team who didn't lose a game when the starters actually played.

I loved the jets playoff runs. It was great to have some luck. But thinking the Jets were anything more than an 8-8 team in 2009, and ignoring what the team was because of a couple of games is one of the reasons Rex and the Jets are 6-10 this year and 'rebuilding' again.

It's the same reason why the Bears are always the Bears. Great Lovie and Rex Grossman went to the Super bowl. They missed the playoffs most of the time after that season.

A magical run now and again is nice, but if you become overconfident and arrogant and ignore all the problems the team really has because of that run, you wind up 6-10.

Archived