Jets Reach Out to Colts Exec - Tom Telesco

jetscanes331

I don't mind Telesco, the problem is, it's almost 95 percent certain the Chargers are hiring Telesco and the thought is

he's going to hire Bruce Airians as HC.

So the reality is, it's almost certain he's going to cancel his interview with the Jets.

That's disappointing. There's still a plenty of others that are interesting...Ross, Dorsey, Gamble, etc...

While the Colts have been one of the more successful franchises in the last 15 years, I would not touch anyone from them with a 10 foot pole. Peyton was that team and now Luck will be. They had absolutely no depth. They've been carried by their two #1 draft pick QBs.

So a team drafts a franchise qb not once, but twice, and makes it work out?

Interesting.

How many first picks have been busts?

When they needed to make the right move, they did.

Can we say the same about the Jets?

Dude this is a reach. They have the 1st pick twice. Both times they were handed gifts.

So a team drafts a franchise qb not once, but twice, and makes it work out?

Interesting.

I understand what you're saying, but I'd give him more credit if both weren't picked at #1. I'll admit I don't now his background and if he was there for the drafting of Peyton Manning. But that team fell apart when Manning went down. So much so they went 1-15 and were rewarded with the opportunity to pick a player who was regarded as the best QB prospect since Elway. Yes he could have been a bust, but any team who had that pick and needed a QB would have done the same.

The Colts could have taken Ryan Leaf. Or they could have passed on Luck and taken RG3.

But saying all that, the Jets traded away picks and moved up to take Sanchez. It wasn't like they took him in the 3rd round and he didnt' work out.

They traded up for the kid.

That isn't true. They got A LOT of good players from their draft this season. Hilton, Allen, Fleener, Ballard and Brazil. Thats a haul even without Luck.

Hilton, Fleener, Ballard and Allen would all be jags with a QB like Mark Sanchez. Luck makes that draft.

I understand what you're saying, but I'd give him more credit if both weren't picked at #1. I'll admit I don't now his background and if he was there for the drafting of Peyton Manning. But that team fell apart when Manning went down. So much so they went 1-15 and were rewarded with the opportunity to pick a player who was regarded as the best QB prospect since Elway. Yes he could have been a bust, but any team who had that pick and needed a QB would have done the same.

They also had the GUTs to tear down what they had, place a lot of dead money and part with teh trash

Honestly, do you think the Jets have the stomach to do that? They think their trash smells so good, they invite it to the bedroom and ask it to stay.

A year ago, the question was-Do the Colts hang on to Peyton? many were split, and aid let him mentor the kid.

Did the Colts luck into Luck? Sure they did. But they did a lot else right, also.

Does this mean the Jets and Gamble are the only two partnerless kids at the dance?

How many times does this need to be said? POOR INTERVIEW.

You aren't going to razzle dazzle a couple football guys like Rex and Woody telling tales of team building or success on the personnel side of things. We've already got an ace on the player side of things and Gamble clearly didn't impress with his charisma. If he was really serious about the job would it have killed him to learn a couple magic tricks? Rex would have loved that

What does a poor interview mean in this case? It could be that the team is forcing Rex down candidates throats. That would be a bad sign for our chance to get the best GM. Having a bad interview in this context could be that they don't like/agree with the guy's vision for building a team. That may be because the interviewers are idiots OR because the guy has a poor/strange vision. The only thing we know about these guys is what team they are coming from, but we don't know what their draft boards looked like. Just because a team made the right pick, it doesn't mean that the guys without decision making power had the board set up well.

Put me on top of the draft the years than John Elway, Jeff George, Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck come out. Find me 3 people that wouldn't have drafted those guys #1 overall.

You do realize the Baltimore Colts drafted Elway, not the Broncos. He wasn't going to play for them, he was going to play for the Yankees. Finally the Colts gave in and traded him to the Broncos. The Indy Colts drafted Jeff George. He was out of Indy a few years later and never lived up to the hype. And you do realize many of those Colts scouts wanted Ryan Leaf. It was Bill Polian and the Colts coaches who wanted Manning. Leaf was thought to have the stronger arm, stronger upside. Manning was a great QB who couldn't win the big game. It's easy to look back on it now, but during that era, nobody in their right mind thought Ryan Leaf would be a bust. If the Colts listened to their scouts, they would have had Ryan Leaf. The Chargers would have picked Manning. And the rest would be history.

So saying it's just about picking the first pick, isn't really true.

You do realize the Baltimore Colts drafted Elway, not the Broncos. He wasn't going to play for them, he was going to play for the Yankees. Finally the Colts gave in and traded him to the Broncos. The Indy Colts drafted Jeff George. He was out of Indy a few years later and never lived up to the hype. And you do realize many of those Colts scouts wanted Ryan Leaf. It was Bill Polian and the Colts coaches who wanted Manning. Leaf was thought to have the stronger arm, stronger upside. Manning was a great QB who couldn't win the big game. It's easy to look back on it now, but during that era, nobody in their right mind thought Ryan Leaf would be a bust. If the Colts listened to their scouts, they would have had Ryan Leaf. The Chargers would have picked Manning. And the rest would be history.

So saying it's just about picking the first pick, isn't really true.

You do realize that it is the Colts we are talking about. You do realize that if you rated the can't miss QB prospects of the past 30 years that those would likely be the top 4. George was the only miss. Some idiots in San Diego said Leaf was better than Manning. Big ****ing Deal. Every single one of us knew that those guys should be the #1 pick. Took some serious GM'ing there.

You do realize that it is the Colts we are talking about. You do realize that if you rated the can't miss QB prospects of the past 30 years that those would likely be the top 4. George was the only miss. Some idiots in San Diego said Leaf was better than Manning. Big ****ing Deal. Every single one of us knew that those guys should be the #1 pick. Took some serious GM'ing there.

The Colts picked Elway in 1983. He refused to play for them and they knew this. How was that a good move?

They could have drafted Eric Dickerson. Jim Kelly. Dan Marino instead.

I'm not sure how drafting John Elway #1 and him never playing for the team and never really getting good value in return was a good move for the Colts? Considering they were bad team until the mid 90's kind of means the GMs did a terrible job.

So, the truth is, drafting John Elway at #1 and him never playing for the team was a terrible move, especially considering that was the 1983 QB draft class, plus it was the year Eric Dickerson was drafted #2.

The Colts picked Elway in 1983. He refused to play for them and they knew this. How was that a good move?

They could have drafted Eric Dickerson. Jim Kelly. Dan Marino instead.

I'm not sure how drafting John Elway #1 and him never playing for the team and never really getting good value in return was a good move for the Colts? Considering they were bad team until the mid 90's kind of means the GMs did a terrible job.

So, the truth is, drafting John Elway at #1 and him never playing for the team was a terrible move, especially considering that was the 1983 QB draft class, plus it was the year Eric Dickerson was drafted #2.

The point is that it takes luck to be the worst team when generational players are coming out. The Colts had it. The Jets had Keyshawn and Pace - that fat ****er even managed to screw that up.

The point is that it takes luck to be the worst team when generational players are coming out. The Colts had it. The Jets had Keyshawn and Pace - that fat ****er even managed to screw that up.

Manning didn't come out, the Jets picked Johnson, the rest is history. The jets did make a run the next year, but that was the closest they'd get until the Rex Ryan era.

The Ravens picked Odgen and Ray Lewis in the first round that year. Won the super bowl sometime after that.

And its always about luck. The Colts forfeited a game, the Bengals don't show up, and the Jets make the playoffs and have a good run.

That leads the Jets on a good run the next season. Who knows. If Manning and the Colts coaching staff actually wanted to go undefeated, Jets lose, don't make the playoffs, and finish 8-8 or 7-9. I doubt Rex and Sanchez's second season is as successful as it was in that case. But then again, maybe it makes them make better moves. That first season created huge egos all the way around. And it masked a lot of problems the Jets actually had. Great run, but in reality, it kind of made the Jets think they were better then they actually were.

And I do agree though, Picking Manning and Luck and them staying healthy and living up to the hype really isn't something a GM should get credit for. It's a no brainer. Building a team around those players and selecting good coaches, thats what GMs should get credit for.

It's like the NBA. Spurs tank a season. Wind up with Tim Duncan. Spurs shouldn't get credit for getting lucky and landing Duncan, they should get credit for building around Duncan and continuing to do so.

Manning didn't come out, the Jets picked Johnson, the rest is history. The jets did make a run the next year, but that was the closest they'd get until the Rex Ryan era.

The Ravens picked Odgen and Ray Lewis in the first round that year. Won the super bowl sometime after that.

And its always about luck. The Colts forfeited a game, the Bengals don't show up, and the Jets make the playoffs and have a good run.

That leads the Jets on a good run the next season. Who knows. If Manning and the Colts coaching staff actually wanted to go undefeated, Jets lose, don't make the playoffs, and finish 8-8 or 7-9. I doubt Rex and Sanchez's second season is as successful as it was in that case. But then again, maybe it makes them make better moves. That first season created huge egos all the way around. And it masked a lot of problems the Jets actually had. Great run, but in reality, it kind of made the Jets think they were better then they actually were.

Manning did not come out because Bill "Tuna face" would not promise Manning Snr that he would take Peyton 1. So he stayed in another year.

Colts Manning/Luck.

Pats Brady.

Bills Kelly.

Phags Marino.

Any chance we get a Franchise QB ever...

Archived