Player, face of the organization?

Lupz27

Ok so if the Jets part ways, or just let Sanchez hold a clip board, and Revis says he is going to play out his current contract, and test the market in 2014, and also the Jets win 5-7 games next year so no Clowney, Bridgewater, or Manziel either, my question is WHO from a player stand point would be the Jets so called Face of the Organization? Hell even Bobby Valentine had Mike Piazza, does Rex want to be the only name people think of when they say the words New York Jets, like I said persons name, obviously Circus, Clowns, Joke, ect... come to mind when those words are spoken from the media, and outside world (even inside to), but from a strictly players name perspective August 2014 who would that player be?

I would give up the memories of Shasta McKitty, possibly the greatest cat to ever walk the earth, for Clowney to be a Jet. I think he is a super mega duper star in the making - or would be if anyone but the ****ing pretty boy QBs were allowed to have that kind of status.

You know what I'm starting to realize...the over reliance on the QB position in this sport really ****in...kills it. Like I am way less of a football fan than I think I want to be because one position changes everything so much. No other sport has that.

I 100% agree, I miss the days when the game was won "in the trenches" who ever was the more physical, and complete OL, and DL won most games, those teams still do well, but then run into T Brady, or P Manning, and the rules of the league now negate the impact of the DL, and you have to rely on hybrid defensive players to try, and keep up. Not to mention it also has killed the RB position, the days of the feature back are just about over.

I 100% agree, I miss the days when the game was won "in the trenches" who ever was the more physical, and complete OL, and DL won most games, those teams still do well, but then run into T Brady, or P Manning, and the rules of the league now negate the impact of the DL, and you have to rely on hybrid defensive players to try, and keep up. Not to mention it also has killed the RB position, the days of the feature back are just about over.

America is ready for rugby.

You know what I'm starting to realize...the over reliance on the QB position in this sport really ****in...kills it. Like I am way less of a football fan than I think I want to be because one position changes everything so much. No other sport has that.

Yeah, but we probably wouldnt think that way if say our team was lucky enough to land Peyton and Luck or fall upon Tom Brady...

The "face" of the franchize will be our D-Line:

Coples, Wilkerson, Ellis, and some as-of-yet-unkown pass rushing freak.

That, and some rookie RB phenom that we pluck out of the 3rd round (Lacy, Ball, Lattimore...)

I love the young D Line, but I don't see the star power there to garner national attention, and as long as Rex is here we won't be looking for the star pass rushing freak at OLB, he wants set the edge run stopping studs at those positions. Where Rex does want a star stud is at NT, and hid D won't be complete until he replaces Jenkins, his defense is at it's best when he can send double A gap blitzes, but without the unblockable NT those don't work now that the league has the tape on his blitz's IMO.

It might have been a different game, but the QB has ruled and been the face of many franchises for decades in the NFL.

Montana. Elway. Marino. Kelly. Kosar. Fouts. Bradshaw. Tarkenton. Unitas.

Hell, Namath is still really the face of the NY Jets like 35-40 years later.

So while the game has changed and it's become far more of a Passing only league, the QB has pretty much been the face of the NFL since Namath, maybe Unitas. Maybe even before that.

Most teams who have won a Super Bowl over the past 30+ years have had a HOF QB.

Ok the 2013 Jets push back cap hits to free up more cap space to add additional players, and it fails, but also kills the 2014 cap, and Revis wants to get paid, and we just can't, then what?

find a way. the 2013 and 2014 cap isn't relevant to a Revis deal that would be backloaded

Archived