Telesco to SD- Jets request SD's Jimmy Rae

Lizard King

Chargers fans didn't want Raye. They wanted an outsider.

Kind of like Jets fans don't want Cohen. They'd rather have an outsider.

It's almost the same as Cohen at this point. Chargers had more success at drafting a QB, but the team has fallen apart and never lived up to expectations. A lot of it goes on AJ Smith. But who knows what any of these guys really do. Now they are 'in demand' but it's funny how guys like Tanny and AJ Smith get all the blame, get fired, and suddenly the assistants did a good job?

At this point the Jets sound desperate. They'd be better off sticking with Cohen.

Some assistant with the Chargers during an era where the GM and HC get fired, some assistant with the Dolphins during an era where HC get fired, I'm not sure how any of that makes the Jets better?

Honestly, it be like the Jets firing Rex Ryan as HC and wanting to hire or promote somebody who was the assistant offensive line coach on teams that stunk. How would this actually make the Jets better?

Jimmy Raye? lol.

Wasnt he Herms guy?

I believe so.

@AdamSchefter: Jets requested permission to interview Miami's Brian Gaine and San Diego's Jimmy Raye for GM.

http://www.chargers.com/team/staff/jimmy-raye/d404d273-aaaf-4c70-9039-a1bb35f1fe8b

BIO

Raye oversees the Chargers' professional and college scouting departments and assists on player personnel matters. He joined the team in 1996 and spent four years (1996-99) as a scout and eight (2000-07) as director of college scouting.

A wide receiver at San Diego State (1986-90), Raye earned a degree in public administration. He left SDSU tied for eighth on the school’s all-time receiving list with 111 catches.

In 1991, Raye signed with the Los Angeles Rams and spent the entire season on their roster. Afterward he went to training camp with the Chargers in '92 and Houston in '93.

Raye spent the 1994 season as the wide receivers coach at Irvine High School. He worked for Amsterdam of the World League in April '95 and then spent the NFL season as an offensive assistant-quality control coach for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Raye was born in Fayetteville, North Carolina. After his family moved to California, he became an all-league quarterback and defensive back at Irvine HS. He also played basketball and ran track. Raye's father, Jimmy Raye II, played for the Philadelphia Eagles in 1969 and is currently the senior offensive assistant coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The 2012 season will mark his 35th year as an NFL assistant coach.

This guy has a heck of a background. He was the Chargers' director of college scouting during the years they owned the draft and a scout when they picked up Jamal Williams in the supplemental draft.

Edit: I just read that and I realize how selective that Williams comment is...Ah well, sounds like he might be a Football Man.

This guy has a heck of a background. He was the Chargers' director of college scouting during the years they owned the draft and a scout when they picked up Jamal Williams in the supplemental draft.

I don't know. AJ Smith was the Chargers GM. AJ Smith got Marty S fired after a 14-2 season. AJ Smith still drafted Eli Manning after Manning and family said they would never play in San Diego. Whatever the hell AJ Smith wanted, AJ Smith got. AJ Smith takes all the blame and gets fired.

So what did Raye actually do? Maybe he was good at being a scout. Doesn't really make you a GM. Then again, the Chargers missed the playoffs the past 3 seasons and didn't' live up to expectations and never replaced Tomlinson, Turner, etc as running back. They didn't replace Vincent Jackson as a WR.

My problem with all of these assistants is that if a guy like AJ Smith gets all the blame for bad moves, bad decisions, not replacing players, depth, losing, etc and Raye gets a pass because he was just an assistant or a director of scouting, etc, then why would he ever get any credit for the good moves? That is the funny part. The GMs get fired for bad moves, decisions, losing teams, etc. The Assistants suddenly became good during that same time period?

The idea is to win games, not just draft a nice player now and again.

Then again it's the 'outsider' mentality. Nobody in Jetsland wants to give Cohen a shot. Well, the truth is, I'm sure nobody in Miami would want some assistant GM to take over that was there for the bad years, just as nobody in Chargerland wanted Raye to be GM.

The other Raye is apparently his pop dukes.

Yes we are looking at Herm's Jimmy's son. (That sounded bad)

raye_jimmy780x300.jpg

BIO

Raye oversees the Chargers' professional and college scouting departments and assists on player personnel matters. He joined the team in 1996 and spent four years (1996-99) as a scout and eight (2000-07) as director of college scouting.

A wide receiver at San Diego State (1986-90), Raye earned a degree in public administration. He left SDSU tied for eighth on the school’s all-time receiving list with 111 catches.

In 1991, Raye signed with the Los Angeles Rams and spent the entire season on their roster. Afterward he went to training camp with the Chargers in '92 and Houston in '93.

Raye spent the 1994 season as the wide receivers coach at Irvine High School. He worked for Amsterdam of the World League in April '95 and then spent the NFL season as an offensive assistant-quality control coach for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Raye was born in Fayetteville, North Carolina. After his family moved to California, he became an all-league quarterback and defensive back at Irvine HS. He also played basketball and ran track. Raye's father, Jimmy Raye II, played for the Philadelphia Eagles in 1969 and is currently the senior offensive assistant coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The 2012 season will mark his 35th year as an NFL assistant coach.

I don't know. AJ Smith was the Chargers GM. AJ Smith got Marty S fired after a 14-2 season. AJ Smith still drafted Eli Manning after Manning and family said they would never play in San Diego. Whatever the hell AJ Smith wanted, AJ Smith got. AJ Smith takes all the blame and gets fired.

So what did Raye actually do? Maybe he was good at being a scout. Doesn't really make you a GM. Then again, the Chargers missed the playoffs the past 3 seasons and didn't' live up to expectations and never replaced Tomlinson, Turner, etc as running back. They didn't replace Vincent Jackson as a WR.

My problem with all of these assistants is that if a guy like AJ Smith gets all the blame for bad moves, bad decisions, not replacing players, depth, losing, etc and Raye gets a pass because he was just an assistant or a director of scouting, etc, then why would he ever get any credit for the good moves? That is the funny part. The GMs get fired for bad moves, decisions, losing teams, etc. The Assistants suddenly became good during that same time period?

I don't think AJ Smith was a bad GM. In fact, I'm a big fan of him and that Chargers FO from the 2000's, partially why I even bothered to say anything about Raye. They did a great job building up their roster but things can fall apart (namely Merriman's knee).

Smith took Eli and turned him into Rivers, Merriman, and Kaeding. Not bad for a minute there...

I don't think AJ Smith was a bad GM. In fact, I'm a big fan of him and that Chargers FO from the 2000's, partially why I even bothered to say anything about Raye. They did a great job building up their roster but things can fall apart (namely Merriman's knee).

Smith took Eli and turned him into Rivers, Merriman, and Kaeding. Not bad for a minute there...

I do agree that AJ Smith did a great job in turning around a franchise that was on the down and outs. The Ryan Leaf fiasco created an organization that was one of the jokes of the NFL. The thought was "LT will waste away in San Diego."

AJ Smith and Marty turned around the organization. But AJ Smith had an ego. He didn't even speak to Marty for like two years. The whole Rivers vs Brees fiasco. The Brees forced to play in a meaningless game and gets injured issue.

But over the past 3-4 years the Chargers have done a terrible job of replacing players. Thats AJ Smith and Norv Turner. That's the scouting department. The Chargers were always one of those teams who listened to their own hype. They underachieved year after year. And they were in a horrible division.

I don't know if Raye was good or bad. Who knows how much he did or didn't do. That's the thing with all these assistants. The GMs get fired and get all the blame. Suddenly those assistants and scouts get a pass for the blame, but get credit for the good. To me Raye vs Cohen isn't that different. The Jets beat the Chargers in the playoffs. Thats the last time the Chargers were any good. And they've gotten worse ever since. The Jets made the AFC Championship game the following season, but then didn't bother to show up for most of that Steelers game and haven't been the same team since. So really its two teams who have been going downhill.

The only reason anybody considers Raye a good candidate is because he wasn't with the Jets. But looking back over the past 4 years, Cohen vs Raye isn't all that different. And nobody except Cohen and Raye will really know how much impact or how little they had with their teams over that time frame.

But over the past 3-4 years the Chargers have done a terrible job of replacing players. Thats AJ Smith and Norv Turner. That's the scouting department. The Chargers were always one of those teams who listened to their own hype. They underachieved year after year. And they were in a horrible division.

Not for nothing, it's kind of hard to replace a guy who was in the conversation for best defensive player in the NFL at 24 and done by 26. Not to mention Jamal Williams is a borderline HOF caliber NT, LT might be the greatest RB of all time...I mean we're talking replacing a MASSIVE level of talent here.

From what I understand Raye has been considered a good FO talent for a long time now, and is not a pop up guy. Even then you can play the "what did he REALLY do?" card for anyone out there...

The only reason anybody considers Raye a good candidate is because he wasn't with the Jets. But looking back over the past 4 years, Cohen vs Raye isn't all that different. And nobody except Cohen and Raye will really know how much impact or how little they had with their teams over that time frame.

I am one of the few keeping an open minded view on Cohen. Like Raye getting points for being with the Chargers when they were good, Cohen is taking a hit for working with a disliked GM. Cohen doesn't have a horrible background either, though I would give the advantage to Raye from the little we do get to know.

I'd imagine that means he's demanding full control of whatever job he takes. Smart move, really. He's got all the leverage.

With that kind of track record in SF...two trips to the playoffs in 7 years including one NFCCG (maybe as high as two)...he's pretty much got the world by the balls.

With that kind of track record in SF...two trips to the playoffs in 7 years including one NFCCG (maybe as high as two)...he's pretty much got the world by the balls.

He's probably the guy that picked Vernon Davis - the guy that was bust of all busts and sent to the lockers during a game. Now Vernon Davis and Alex Smith are part of some great dynasty.

You'll fellate the men who built the Jets roster and discredit the ones who built the Niners roster. You'll spend years defending Brian Schottenheimer. You'll make arguments that Vernon Gholston might be secretly awesome.

Archived