Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Boomer gets called out about Ken O'Brien

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Carton and Boomer show..............

Edited by Maxman
added link

Registered members don't see this ad. Register today, it is free! If you already have an account you can log in here.

Registered members don't see this ad. Register today, it is free! If you already have an account you can log in here.

Posted · Report post

surprised it was actually about Ken O'Brien... but total waste of time

Posted · Report post

Working link please

Posted · Report post

I added the link.

Weird though. What happened between Boomer and Kenny?

Posted · Report post

Thanks. Unfortunately it was not recorded throughout. The back and forth lasted about 1:30. Ken O'Brien was still on the team of the time Boomer was brought in during the Spring of 1993. With that being said Boomer (and I guess the Jets) had the nerve to hold up #7 when introducing him. I just thought it was classless.

Posted · Report post

Thanks. Unfortunately it was not recorded throughout. The back and forth lasted about 1:30. Ken O'Brien was still on the team of the time Boomer was brought in during the Spring of 1993. With that being said Boomer (and I guess the Jets) had the nerve to hold up #7 when introducing him. I just thought it was classless.

That I remember. The Jets got a ton of crap for that. Although I don't think Boomer was personally responsible.

How did the rest of the call go? What did Boomer say?

Posted · Report post

I added the link.

Weird though. What happened between Boomer and Kenny?

I didnt click on the link but Id imagine it was about him showing up at a press conference and taking O'Briens number before O'Brien was actually off the team. Boomer always preaches about transparency, doing the right thing, asking teammates to respect him and him doing everything to earn respect, etc... but he never did that when he got here. He came in with the heros welcome while Kenny O was still technically the starter after the Nagle disaster. I think Esiason always claimed that he was told by the Jets that Ken was already gone and that he never realized that he was taking his number without permission. The Jets would traded O'Brien to the Packers something like 3 or 4 weeks later, so it was a bit in the slap of the face of the guy.

Posted · Report post

I wouldn't mind Kenny as QB coach....

Posted · Report post

The rest of the call Boomer basically tried to defend his actions saying "it was no big deal" because O'Brien knew he was getting traded to GB anyway. He also claims he called Ken that afternoon to smooth everything out after the press conference (which is BS). O'Brien had a different story to tell when he was a guest on 1410 ESPN Radio in 2011 recalling the situation claiming he was "Sideswiped". Obviously you got to keep in mind Coslet was the OC in Cinncy while Boomer was there so this did not shock me at the time. I still say Kenny was the most underrated QB this town has had. 1985-1988 he was as good,or better then Marino I think.

Posted · Report post

I loved Ken O'Brien back in the day.

If the Jets get the same production out of the QB that 1985 Kenny put up, they win the Super Bowl next year.

Posted · Report post

When Coslet got fired, he said it was because he didn't have a quarterback until Boomer showed up. Boomer, at that time, had what was being called a "three week arm" (or something), meaning he'd look good for a few weeks, but then his arm would tire, which is essentially how he spent the rest of his career.

Posted · Report post

If the Jets get the same production out of the QB that 1985 Kenny put up, they win the Super Bowl next year.

Yep.. Favorite player growing up.

Posted · Report post

I had his poster and everything.

Posted · Report post

Not that it matters, but it was the Eagles not Packers that O'Brien went to for one season before hanging it up.

Posted · Report post

Went to Green Bay first. Was cut,then picked up by the Eagles.

Posted · Report post

+1 Kenny O was the ****ing man!

Posted · Report post

I was 9 at the time and a little fuzzy on this but pretty sure we hated Boomer by the time he was done here.

Posted · Report post

Poor Kenny got the snot knocked out of him. Coulda had a great career.

Posted · Report post

Kenny O was a favorite of mine too... but if anyone was the MAN on those teams, it was Al Toon

Posted · Report post

tooooooon.....

Posted · Report post

Jets Packers Eagles Three teams with green jerseys. What are the odds?

Posted · Report post

Jets Packers Eagles Three teams with green jerseys. What are the odds?

813:1 (0.12% chance)

3/28 * 3/28 * 3/28 = 1/813

Posted · Report post

****ing math.

Posted · Report post

If Kenny O had the Jets 2009/2010 OL we would have won the Super Bowl in 1985.

Posted · Report post

Considering he went to his second team via trade, that one would actually be 2/28. The Jets couldn't exactly trade him to themselves.

You could even make a similar argument for when he ended up in Philly, but technically speaking it was possible for him to sign with any of those three teams (even if 2 of them were highly unlikely).