Boomer gets called out about Ken O'Brien

Alabama1

Thanks. Unfortunately it was not recorded throughout. The back and forth lasted about 1:30. Ken O'Brien was still on the team of the time Boomer was brought in during the Spring of 1993. With that being said Boomer (and I guess the Jets) had the nerve to hold up #7 when introducing him. I just thought it was classless.

Thanks. Unfortunately it was not recorded throughout. The back and forth lasted about 1:30. Ken O'Brien was still on the team of the time Boomer was brought in during the Spring of 1993. With that being said Boomer (and I guess the Jets) had the nerve to hold up #7 when introducing him. I just thought it was classless.

That I remember. The Jets got a ton of crap for that. Although I don't think Boomer was personally responsible.

How did the rest of the call go? What did Boomer say?

I added the link.

Weird though. What happened between Boomer and Kenny?

I didnt click on the link but Id imagine it was about him showing up at a press conference and taking O'Briens number before O'Brien was actually off the team. Boomer always preaches about transparency, doing the right thing, asking teammates to respect him and him doing everything to earn respect, etc... but he never did that when he got here. He came in with the heros welcome while Kenny O was still technically the starter after the Nagle disaster. I think Esiason always claimed that he was told by the Jets that Ken was already gone and that he never realized that he was taking his number without permission. The Jets would traded O'Brien to the Packers something like 3 or 4 weeks later, so it was a bit in the slap of the face of the guy.

The rest of the call Boomer basically tried to defend his actions saying "it was no big deal" because O'Brien knew he was getting traded to GB anyway. He also claims he called Ken that afternoon to smooth everything out after the press conference (which is BS). O'Brien had a different story to tell when he was a guest on 1410 ESPN Radio in 2011 recalling the situation claiming he was "Sideswiped". Obviously you got to keep in mind Coslet was the OC in Cinncy while Boomer was there so this did not shock me at the time. I still say Kenny was the most underrated QB this town has had. 1985-1988 he was as good,or better then Marino I think.

When Coslet got fired, he said it was because he didn't have a quarterback until Boomer showed up. Boomer, at that time, had what was being called a "three week arm" (or something), meaning he'd look good for a few weeks, but then his arm would tire, which is essentially how he spent the rest of his career.

813:1 (0.12% chance)

3/28 * 3/28 * 3/28 = 1/813

Considering he went to his second team via trade, that one would actually be 2/28. The Jets couldn't exactly trade him to themselves.

You could even make a similar argument for when he ended up in Philly, but technically speaking it was possible for him to sign with any of those three teams (even if 2 of them were highly unlikely).

Ken was my favorite Jet as a kid, best franchise QB behind Joe. Unfortunately the Jets front office treated him like garbage between the contract negotiations, the benching and giving his number away before being traded, just ugly. Boomer was Coslets boy, his fair haired son, he hated his step child O'Brien from day one, even publicly stating he sucked.

Archived