• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#26 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Khan is supposed to be a really smart guy...
Tank for Teddy.

#27 jorge o8

jorge o8

draft nerd

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • Locationrichmond va

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

whathappend with gamble???

#28 JiF

JiF

President of the Rex Ryan Fan Club

• Members
  • 35,545 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Hmmmmm. How do I feel about this name that nobody knows anything about? Do I want to like this one or hate it?
Posted Image

#29 sirlancemehlot

sirlancemehlot

perpetual rookie

• Members
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Don't the Steelers deal with contracts by essentially not signing veterans to their big paydays, then having a younger player behind them to step in? That's not cap wizardry, that's good scouting. The Jets are looking at the wrong dude on that Steelers staff.

Exactly. Tannenbaum was supposed to be an excellent contract guy. Then he drafted horribly, pissed away picks, and had to overpay the likes of Scott, pace, Holmes, LT, and a half dozen other high end rentals. No negotiations can overcome poor drafting and poor personnel management.

#30 dbatesman

dbatesman

Vulgar Yankee Mannerisms

• Members
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Brandon Hunt.

Oh, I was just breaking your balls about that.

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#31 dbatesman

dbatesman

Vulgar Yankee Mannerisms

• Members
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

It's a free-for-all at this point. They're going to interview everybody who agrees to be interviewed and hire the guy that puts up the least resistance when told that Rex is in charge.

Sure looks that way. I've done more than my share of bitching throughout this GM search, but hiring Khan would be a ****up of what can only be referred to as Jetsian proportions. I would happily take any of the other available candidates, up to and including Scott Cohen, over another cap guy.

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#32 BleedGreen314

BleedGreen314

Yasiel Puig

• Members
  • 3,716 posts
  • LocationMadison, NJ

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

This is a disaster
Idzik!!

#33 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

Can we just promote Scott Cohen and get this over with? I'm growing weary of this when I know the end result is disappointment.

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#34 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,634 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Oh, I was just breaking your balls about that.

My eye for talent is unmatchable. I'm like an eaglehawkspreyowl.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#35 JiF

JiF

• Members
  • 35,545 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

I'm going to join the uninformed mob on this one.

I hate it!

Edited by JiF, 09 January 2013 - 10:41 PM.

Posted Image

#36 SayNoToDMC

SayNoToDMC

In search of terminally ill online girlfriend

• Members
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

I'm going to join the uninformed mob on this one.

I hate it!

Mob doesn't want you

28ad228d-4df6-4b64-b890-b5246112bd82.jpg

#37 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Transition Player

• Members
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

Its so obvious. JETS are interviewing inferior candidates so that suddenly Cohen looks like a genius!

#38 Cyberjet

Cyberjet

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

+1

Signing a guy who's strength is on the business side of things is a bad sign, IMHO.

BlogPodcasts/Past ShowsE-mail Brock and Salk
Updated Apr 4, 2011 - 7:51 pm
Who is Omar Khan?

by Brock Huard

We spent some time Thursday speaking to the merits of Floyd Reese and his pedigree and strength of resume. However, if we have learned one thing this season about the Seahawks, it is expect the unexpected: Ruskell resignation mid-season, Mora firing four days past Black Monday, Carroll hiring, so why now the conventional Floyd Reese? He may fit the bill on paper and make the most sense, but is he the best candidate?

I had a pretty candid conversation with a source very familiar with Omar Khan and the Steelers organization. At just 32 Omar is revered by the Rooney family, to the point that the elder Rooney, Dan, desperately wanted Omar to work with him in Ireland as he serves in his new role as U.S. Ambassador there. Ultimately, the Steelers front office and Art Rooney II won out, and Khan stayed in the Steel City.

Khan, a Sports Mgt. major from Tulane, worked initially with the New Orleans Saints out of college. He spent 4 seasons there serving in multiple capacities and climbing the ladder quickly. He went to work for the Steelers in 2001 and technically works in the business office, yet is trusted deeply by Kevin Colbert, their Director of football operations. My source tells me that trust extends beyond current Steelers employees, and that Bill Cowher has said when he lands a head coaching position, he will hire Khan as his general manager.

There were two quotes that jumped out at me in sifting through some of the articles surrounding the Steelers organization and learning more about their managerial style and where Khan currently fits. The younger Rooney, Art II, who is the President of the organization summed it up this way:

We think that the business philosophy and the business model we've set up are working, The key is to bring in good people at every level, and that's what we'll try to do.

Khan is sharp, innovative, young and talented. He is just 32. The Steelers want quality and talent at every level, regardless of age or name. He works very closely with Colbert on the personnel side as well as handling cap issues on the business side. Khan has helped uncover some of the Steelers late round success stories (Ike Taylor, Larry Foote, etc.).

Lastly, and maybe most importantly for Khan, is the fact he has been employed by an organization the last decade whose central figures in the personnel department get it. Central figures like Kevin Colbert (acting GM since 2000) and Mike Tomlin whose collaborative efforts the Hawks could learn from and Khan/Carroll would love to emulate. And I believe Tomlin sums it up beautifully as to why two Super Bowls and superior draft after draft have found their way to Pittsburgh this decade:

Kevin Colbert's impact is immeasurable. We have an awesome working relationship, because we have one very important thing in common. We don't care who gets the credit, and all we want to do is win.

Ah, wouldn't that be nice in Seattle. No more turf wars, no more power struggles, no more final say, just throw out who gets the credit and go win. I have a hunch the 32-year-old fell back on those words more than once in his very lengthy interview.

He seems more than a numbers guy plus if hired I'm sure he would surround himself with good people, but you probably don't want to hear that. How about he sucks and he'll be Ryan's lapdog - that's better

Edited by Cyberjet, 09 January 2013 - 11:12 PM.

#39 JiF

JiF

• Members
  • 35,545 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

Mob doesn't want you

Everybody wants me.
Posted Image

#40 KSJets

KSJets

The Hammer

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  • LocationPlainsboro, NJ

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

He seems more than a numbers guy plus if hired I'm sure he would surround himself with good people, but you probably don't want to hear that. How about he sucks and he'll be Ryan's lapdog - that's better

How dare you post something even remotely positive. You're going to interfere with the lynch mob that's forming.
"This "breaking news" was addressed a few weeks ago. The Pats suck and all of their accomplishments are bogus as they cheated." - Gainzo

#41 BleedGreen314

BleedGreen314

Yasiel Puig

• Members
  • 3,716 posts
  • LocationMadison, NJ

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

Who is Omar Khan?

by Brock Huard

We spent some time Thursday speaking to the merits of Floyd Reese and his pedigree and strength of resume. However, if we have learned one thing this season about the Seahawks, it is expect the unexpected: Ruskell resignation mid-season, Mora firing four days past Black Monday, Carroll hiring, so why now the conventional Floyd Reese? He may fit the bill on paper and make the most sense, but is he the best candidate?

I had a pretty candid conversation with a source very familiar with Omar Khan and the Steelers organization. At just 32 Omar is revered by the Rooney family, to the point that the elder Rooney, Dan, desperately wanted Omar to work with him in Ireland as he serves in his new role as U.S. Ambassador there. Ultimately, the Steelers front office and Art Rooney II won out, and Khan stayed in the Steel City.

Khan, a Sports Mgt. major from Tulane, worked initially with the New Orleans Saints out of college. He spent 4 seasons there serving in multiple capacities and climbing the ladder quickly. He went to work for the Steelers in 2001 and technically works in the business office, yet is trusted deeply by Kevin Colbert, their Director of football operations. My source tells me that trust extends beyond current Steelers employees, and that Bill Cowher has said when he lands a head coaching position, he will hire Khan as his general manager.

There were two quotes that jumped out at me in sifting through some of the articles surrounding the Steelers organization and learning more about their managerial style and where Khan currently fits. The younger Rooney, Art II, who is the President of the organization summed it up this way:

We think that the business philosophy and the business model we've set up are working, The key is to bring in good people at every level, and that's what we'll try to do.

Khan is sharp, innovative, young and talented. He is just 32. The Steelers want quality and talent at every level, regardless of age or name. He works very closely with Colbert on the personnel side as well as handling cap issues on the business side. Khan has helped uncover some of the Steelers late round success stories (Ike Taylor, Larry Foote, etc.).

Lastly, and maybe most importantly for Khan, is the fact he has been employed by an organization the last decade whose central figures in the personnel department get it. Central figures like Kevin Colbert (acting GM since 2000) and Mike Tomlin whose collaborative efforts the Hawks could learn from and Khan/Carroll would love to emulate. And I believe Tomlin sums it up beautifully as to why two Super Bowls and superior draft after draft have found their way to Pittsburgh this decade:

Kevin Colbert's impact is immeasurable. We have an awesome working relationship, because we have one very important thing in common. We don't care who gets the credit, and all we want to do is win.

Ah, wouldn't that be nice in Seattle. No more turf wars, no more power struggles, no more final say, just throw out who gets the credit and go win. I have a hunch the 32-year-old fell back on those words more than once in his very lengthy interview.

share this:

MyNorthwest.com - Purpose of Comments statement
Bonneville Media encourages site users to express their opinions by posting comments. Our goal is to maintain a civil dialogue in which readers feel comfortable. At times, the comments can descend to personal attacks. Please do not engage in such behavior. We encourage your thoughtful comments which: have a positive and constructive tone, are on topic, are respectful toward others and their opinions. Bonneville reserves the right to remove comments which do not conform to these criteria.

Comments (2)

Add A Comment

tchonz70 wrote...
I'm not exacttly sure why the GM is so impoertant?
January 15, 2010 10:49 am
At least with the case for the Seahawks. I know they offered Mike Holmgren something of that position or equivilant. But now that's old news. With Pete Carrol coming in, If they want him to have majority of the say then why didn't give him the power of the GM position. Any Head Coach will bring in the Coaching Staff of their choosing. And there a certainly scouts that rate and rank players at both college and NFL levels. Other than Salary issues. If you're going to hand the keys to a head coach-Shouldn't HE (HEAD COACH) Have the deciding factor to bring the players that he wants on his team. I'm No expert especially in the NFL front offices. to me it just doesn't make alot of sense.
Report this as abuse

TheSGC wrote...
I think it's important
January 15, 2010 7:42 pm
GM has a lot of responsibilities that I don't think that Pete could handle all on his own. We saw how the Coach/GM thing went down with The Big Show back when he joined...he took us to the Super Bowl when he was just the coach. I think you need a good collaborative atmosphere to really thrive in the NFL. A system of checks and balances is good when it doesn't emulate the United States Government in the strictest of manners. You have advice coming from all directions, and hopefully it doesn't degenerate behind the scenes into your "turf wars" (Brock). Well, let's wait and see!
Report this as abuse

Who is Omar Khan?

by Brock Huard

Ah, wouldn't that be nice in Seattle. No more turf wars, no more power struggles, no more final say, just throw out who gets the credit and go win. I have a hunch the 32-year-old fell back on those words more than once in his very lengthy

Nice post
Idzik!!

#42 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 18,202 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Yeah, you got me. I'm the head of the defeatists around here.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#43 Integrity28

Integrity28

I love it when Idzik's plan comes together.

• Members
  • 31,072 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

+1

Signing a guy who's strength is on the business side of things is a bad sign, IMHO.

Depends on who he put in charge of scouting. Some business men actually understand how to delegate to experts, and let them do their jobs. If Khan built an infrastructure where talent acquisition was led by a guy like Ross, then we'd be in good shape.

Gotta remember this search SHOULD be about more than just the GM. Our whole scouting department is the pits and needs shaking up. It's about a GM and everything he'll bring with him. I hope.

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#44 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 18,202 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

Depends on who he put in charge of scouting. Some business men actually understand how to delegate to experts, and let them do their jobs. If Khan built an infrastructure where talent acquisition was led by a guy like Ross, then we'd be in good shape.

Gotta remember this search SHOULD be about more than just the GM. Our whole scouting department is the pits and needs shaking up. It's about a GM and everything he'll bring with him. I hope.

I'd prefer a guy who was strong on personnel and delegated contracts, than the other way around. The GM's biggest decisions center around properly valuing players. He should certainly delegate scouting and the like, but when it comes to deciding who to draft, or who to give a big FA deal to, he needs to be able to look at film and see for himself who he wants and know what they're worth - not be dependent on someone else's reports.

That's a big part of what made Tannenbaum a weak GM. It's part of why I believe he traded up so often (for higher rated, concensus-type picks), and relied so heavily on FA pickups - players who already demonstrated something in the league.

And I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the Jets' FO remained intact. They'll almost certainly be together for this draft. Another reason you need a football guy at the helm, and not simply an executive. I don't see a guy like Ross coming to the Jets in a lateral move.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#45 T0mShane

T0mShane

From devil to Bevell, '15

• Members
  • 24,729 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

The problem with the cap guy is that he's at the mercy if everybody else beneath him and has to take their word for it, which was one of Tannenbaum's major failings.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#46 neckdemon

neckdemon

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 7,616 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

you know what pisses me off.......bradway, the complete moron who decided trading our number 1 pick for doug ****ing jolley, makes personell decisions here still. we suck and always will suck

#47 Integrity28

Integrity28

I love it when Idzik's plan comes together.

• Members
  • 31,072 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

I'd prefer a guy who was strong on personnel and delegated contracts, than the other way around. The GM's biggest decisions center around properly valuing players. He should certainly delegate scouting and the like, but when it comes to deciding who to draft, or who to give a big FA deal to, he needs to be able to look at film and see for himself who he wants and know what they're worth - not be dependent on someone else's reports.

That's a big part of what made Tannenbaum a weak GM. It's part of why I believe he traded up so often (for higher rated, concensus-type picks), and relied so heavily on FA pickups - players who already demonstrated something in the league.

And I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the Jets' FO remained intact. They'll almost certainly be together for this draft. Another reason you need a football guy at the helm, and not simply an executive. I don't see a guy like Ross coming to the Jets in a lateral move.

I'm okay with either as long as the GM comes witha system, that is proven, for evaluating, ranking and determining how to select players. No GM makes decisions without consideration for the work their staff has done. Whoever we end up with needs to build a better scouting dept, but also a system around it that leverages it better. Rather than "hey coach, who do you want here?"

I do understand your concerns though. I just don't think Omar would come without an infrastructure plan similar to that he thrived in in Pitts.

Edited by Integrity28, 10 January 2013 - 07:19 AM.

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#48 jack48

jack48

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

Jets interviewing Omar Khan for G.M. job

Posted by Mike Florio on January 9, 2013, 9:31 PM EST
Posted Image
The Jets ultimately could be replacing Mike Tannenbaum with another Mike Tannenbaum.
The recently-fired G.M. rose through the ranks as a cap-and-contracts specialist. Now that the Jets are having trouble replacing Tannenbaum with a traditional “football guy,” they’re turning their attention to another cap-and-contracts specialist.
Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that the Jets will interview Omar Khan for the G.M. position on Thursday. Khan currently serves as the director of football and business administration in Pittsburgh.
As the search expands, there’s a chance that the eventual hire will have less power than previously envisioned, with coach Rex Ryan in turn having greater authority over player personnel.
If, alternatively, Khan would have final say over the draft and free agency, he would need to rely on someone like Terry Bradway to help set the table, like Bradway did for Tannenbaum

If you believe that Rex is openly picking the groceries now, then this Omar guy sounds like a fit.

#49 jack48

jack48

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

More of the same coming. I can just see Rex in 4 years at his presser talking about how it feels like this is his first day on the job, how he should not have let Norv Turner, Cam Cameron, Brian Dabol and Kurt Warner handle all of the offensive chores the past four years, how he needs to be 100% all in on EVERY phase of the team, and that was why he was bringing in his brother Rob to handle ALL of the defense, just like he had in Carolina, Jacksonville, Kansas City and Philadelphia the past four years. And....

Edited by jack48, 10 January 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#50 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 30,541 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

Jets to interview Pitt's Omar Khan

no scouting background,,all cap/contracts,,a tanny clone
Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

0 user(s) are reading this topic