GM Candidate Central - MERGED

Lizard King

so is that an endorsement of Schotty as the head coach of the Jets? Is that an outcome you'd be comfortable with? Mike Tannenbaum crapped out with Mark but he hit big with Revis. Chances are the next Jet GM will not have a pick as good as the Revis pick. I hope that's not true and the Jets draft a Revis every year for the next 5 years. Chances are they won't get 1.

Schottenheimer and Tannenbaum have track records that are below average. At one point, at least Schotty could point to Drew Brees, but that's gone. Tannenbaum is an accountant who showed no other skills. Not sure what your point is

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm talking from an organizational perspective. It's just abject chaos. Nobody but Rex can be in charge, because after a disaster season where everybody else left, he got kept on. But Rex can't be in charge either because he got a vote of confidence and no extension. We're really not even talking about football here. This hierarchy couldn't effort a ham sandwich if the Jets were a Subway franchise instead.

Rex is the most powerful lame duck in the history of sport

In five years, Caldwell isn't going to put on his resume "Weather was awesome and saved a bundle on state taxes." His career will be defined by wins and losses. They go where they think they can win.

I think a GM thinks he can win anywhere. In five years, he might have five players left over from when he started.

In the meantime, he's a human being with a family who probably prefers warmer weather and a lower cost of living. These guys aren't looking to pad their resumes, they're looking to find a place to stay for a long time.

I'm talking from an organizational perspective. It's just abject chaos. Nobody but Rex can be in charge, because after a disaster season where everybody else left, he got kept on. But Rex can't be in charge either because he got a vote of confidence and no extension. We're really not even talking about football here. This hierarchy couldn't effort a ham sandwich if the Jets were a Subway franchise instead.

If the Head coach doesn't have functional quarterback play it doesn't matter who that person is... it's an impossible task to turn the ball over 50 times in 2 years and win. two coordinators, a GM and probably more have been fired because Mark can't take care of the football.

In a fair universe Mark Sanchez leaves the Jets before Rex Ryan leaves the Jets.

In the meantime, he's a human being with a family who probably prefers warmer weather and a lower cost of living. These guys aren't looking to pad their resumes, they're looking to find a place to stay for a long time.

indeed. not to mention degree of difficulty. the GM of Jacksonville isn't hounded by media and a half dozen message boards

I think a GM thinks he can win anywhere. In five years, he might have five players left over from when he started.

Glazer is telling us that GMs are turning us down because they don't think they can win here, though he was nice enough to exempt Rex from the list of reasons why:

Glazer is telling us that GMs are turning us down because they don't think they can win here, though he was nice enough to exempt Rex from the list of reasons why:

I'd want a five year deal from the Jets, and autonomy from year #2 on after agreeing to give Rex a chance. If the Jets are having trouble filling the position, they probably aren't offering enough in security or authority.

2013 is tough -if not impossible- capwise. But a winner can easily be developed starting in 2014 by a competent GM. So yeah, Glazer's probably as full of sh*t as anyone else in sports media.

I'd want a five year deal from the Jets, and autonomy from year #2 on after agreeing to give Rex a chance. If the Jets are having trouble filling the position, they probably aren't offering enough in security or authority.

2013 is tough -if not impossible- capwise. But a winner can easily be developed starting in 2014 by a competent GM. So yeah, Glazer's probably as full of sh*t as anyone else in sports media.

These guys have no assurances that Woody will be different in 2013 than he was in 2012 or 2011. None of them are coming in with a guarantee of firing Rex next year, because they've been disallowed from firing Rex this year. All they're assured of right now is that the owner wants to dictate the coach for 2012.

These guys have no assurances that Woody will be different in 2013 than he was in 2012 or 2011. None of them are coming in with a guarantee of firing Rex next year, because they've been disallowed from firing Rex this year. All they're assured of right now is that the owner wants to dictate the coach for 2012.

So you get it in writing, or Woody can fire you with four years remaining on your contract. Lol. This isn't rocket science.

If they are thinking of hiring Jerry Angelo I would want them to call Tanny back and offer him the job!

I think at the end of the day Scott Cohen is starting to sound pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Angelo would be a downgrade from Tanny

Just a few articles i found on Jerry Angelo.

Durkin: Jerry Angelo And The Anatomy Of A Failure

By Dan Durkin-

(CBS) It was déjà vu all over again on Sunday for the Bears.

The Packers win the toss and march (no, really fly) 80 yards in eight plays, with five first downs, and, of course, seven points. Go ahead and blame the defense if you must for coming out flat and unprepared, blame the offense if you’d like for being perpetually inept.

I’ll blame the general manager.

Certainly, I can’t be the only one who wonders why Jerry Angelo is still calling the shots for the Bears. It’s not like he’s new to this job; his tenure pre-dates the iPod. What exactly has Angelo done to make him the fifth most tenured GM in the league? The answer to that question is a mystery, as his hits are greatly outweighed by his misses. Let’s look at the facts.

Angelo maintains the Bears have a “draft-driven” philosophy to building their roster. Yet the numbers tell a different story. In his ten years on the job, Angelo:

• has never drafted a Pro-Bowl offensive player;
  • has not drafted a Pro-Bowl position player since 2004 (making the Bears one of 10 teams in the NFL to carry this distinction);
  • drafted a mere three offensive lineman from 2003 through 2006 (one sixth and two seventh round afterthoughts, none of which are currently on the roster);
  • filled only three current roster spots from the 30 draft selections made from 2004 through 2007; and
  • generated a grand total of one current starter (left guard – and bust – Chris Williams) from eight first-round draft picks.

That is just a small sample of the personnel-decision failures. Bear fans surely don’t need to be reminded of the fact that Troy Polamalu was selected two spots after Michael Haynes, or that Vincent Jackson was selected 22 spots after Mark Bradley, or that….okay, I’ll stop.

Even Angelo’s greatest success, acquiring quarterback Jay Cutler, has also been his biggest failure. Angelo went out and made the bold move to acquire a quarterback with elite talent, yet he’s done nothing – nada – to protect and maximize the return on this investment. The Bears line up every week with a rag-tag group of offensive lineman who provide porous protection, and third-rate receivers who can’t create separation from defenders or catch the ball when it’s thrown to them. Angelo must be held accountable.

Angelo claimed after watching quarterback Jay Cutler get battered in New Orleans: “We did everything you could possibly do to that [offensive line] position. Nobody did more than the Chicago Bears.” You heard right. Angelo and the Bears did “everything.” Here is what everything means in this context: drafting Gabe Carimi in the first-round and picking up free-agent Chris Spencer – who was a knee-jerk reaction to the failed negotiations with former Bear Olin Kreutz. When did everything become a synonym for next-to-nothing?

What could Jerry Angelo have done if he really meant to do “everything,” and then went out and actually did it? Recall that this past off-season featured an unprecedented 667 free-agents. And further recall that the Bears were armed with ample salary cap space – reportedly $34M – to make multiple moves to bolster an offensive line that surrendered a league-high 56 sacks last season. If the Bears had truly done everything – or at least more than the next-to-nothing they did do – to improve the offensive line, they could line up this Sunday with some or all of the following free-agents: Jermon Bushrod, Davin Joseph, David Baas, Harvey Dahl, and Matt Light. Might that line be providing Jay Cutler with just a bit more protection?

Giving Cutler time to throw a pass would be a step in the right direction, but how about giving Cutler some talent to catch his passes? Caving to Devin Hester’s contract demands back in 2008 and paying him like a number one wide receiver, doesn’t make Devin Hester a No. 1 wide receiver, yet that’s what Angelo tried to sell us on. When your quarterback looks to an undrafted, rookie free-agent, Dane Sanzenbacher, as a go-to guy in the red zone, that is a complete indictment of talent evaluation. And when your big off-season additions are a washed-up first-round bust, Roy Williams, and a special teams gunner, Sam Hurd, you’re clearly in denial about the talent-level of the current wide receiver corps.

What’s really sad here – and, for Bears’ fans, tragic – is that Angelo’s inability to bring in offensive talent capable of competing on Sundays has wasted the prime years of Super Bowl-caliber defenses and special teams. Angelo spent much of his tenure with the Bears trying to assemble his own version of the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a team that played smothering defense, and did just enough on offense to eek out a win. The Bears offense has ranked better than 26th in total offense just once in ten years under Angelo, in 2006 when they were 16th. Meanwhile, the defense has finished in the top 10 three times, and Devin Hester has established himself as the greatest kick returner in NFL history, providing envious field position that other teams would surely capitalize on.

The NFL has experienced a fundamental shift to a passing league during Angelo’s tenure. Per usual, the Bears were late to the game, and their solution was to bring in offensive coordinator Mike Martz. This hiring, to borrow an Angelo-ism, was a square peg in a round hole. The Bears don’t have the blockers, receivers, or the quarterback with robot-like mechanics to sit in the pocket and wait for slow-developing pass routes to effectively run Martz’s scheme. So while Tom Brady is on pace to throw for 7,077 yards, the Bears are on pace to give up 75 sacks.

This slow-to-evolve approach makes Jerry Angelo a lot like a fax machine. While the rest of the NFL elite operates in a digital age of multi-function machines that can scan and email at dizzying speeds, the Bears rely on antiquated technology that is near obsolete, and wonder why their weekend match-ups end up stalled like a paper jam.

Ten years is a large enough body of work to realize that Jerry Angelo’s stewardship simply hasn’t and isn’t working for the Chicago Bears. And until you can add “former” to Angelo’s current general manager’s title, it will be more of the same for the Bears. Miring in mediocrity, catching a lucky streak here and there, only to fall short in the end.

Oh, by the way, Jerry Angelo is signed through 2013, and his likely successor, Tim Ruskell, is already a part of the Bears’ front office. So, odds are it will be déjà vu all over again in 2012.

Top Ten Reasons Why Bears Fans Want to Punch Jerry Angelo in the Face

1 comment

Tweet

By Matt Olsen, July 28, 2011 at 10:56 am JANGELO.jpg

Chicagoans were edgy enough having to deal with Mother Nature unleashing day after day of extreme temps and storms. But when news broke of a trade sending Bears tight end Greg Olsen to the Carolina Panthers, it seemed the pent up frustrations of the entire city exploded to the surface. The man directly in our crosshairs and on the receiving end of all this anger is Bears GM Jerry Angelo. To explain why, here are the Top Ten Reasons Why Bears Fans Want to Punch Jerry Angelo in the Face.

10. Failure to Communicate

When asked to give his opinion on the Greg Olsen trade last night on WGN, former Bears WR Rashied Davis said "I have no clue what is going on with the Bears organization". Join the club. When it comes to communicating with fans, Angelo gives out less information than the CIA. Why the shroud of secrecy needs to exist is beyond me. We're not looking for intimate details about all the dealings you're involved with Jerry. But throw us a frigging bone from time to time and you'll be amazed by the reaction you get from fans and players alike.

9. Draft Failure

As it stands right now, the Bears only have one first round pick remaining on the roster that was drafted by Jerry Angelo. To me, that speaks volumes to his abilities as a GM. In later rounds, there's no doubt about it, Angelo has unearthed some gems. But the first round is where you're supposed to find franchise players and throughout his tenure with this club, Angelo has failed and failed miserably.

8. Bad Rep Around the League

A 30-word press release was all the Bears sent out to announce the Greg Olsen deal. They're dicking around resigning their most respected player. They embarassed themselves on national television during the NFL Draft, when they screwed over the Baltimore Ravens by not calling to report a deal they had agreed to. These are just a few examples of how easily it is to believe the Bears don't have the greatest reputation amongst the league and its players. Angelo doesn't deserve all the blame for this. But in a city that takes pride in being honest, hard working people, having a team that doesn't necessarily represent those qualities is tough to swallow.

7. Jerry's High Horse

There's nothing more infuriating than watching Jerry Angelo in front of assembled media with that sh*t eating grin on his face. You can tell this man thinks he's smarter than everyone in the room even when history suggests nine times out of ten, he doesn't have a funking clue. Try to ask him a difficult question and he'll get frustrated. Similar to the way that IT guy in your office acts like an ass when you ask him a question he feels that is beneath him. It's getting old Jerry.

6. No Creativity

When's the last time you can say Jerry Angelo made a great trade? Sure, he pried Jay Cutler away from the Broncos. But the gents in Denver would've been stupid to pass up the king's ransom Jerry was offering in return. When you watch the Patriots get Albert Haynesworth for a couple late round picks, or the Ravens getting Anquan Boldin for just a third round pick, you'll start to realize how inept Angelo is at acquiring talent. Seems the only way he knows how to get a big name is with a suitcase full of cash, which requires absolutely zero creativity.

5. Penny Pincher

I'll cut Jerry some slack here because the Bears have been cheap since the day they were founded. But if there was ever a year to open up the checkbook, this is it. With the most money to spend in the NFC North, fourth most in the NFL, Angelo's more interested in getting a collection of players on the cheap instead of going after a few playmakers. Those who disagree with this assessment will be quick to point out the spending spree Angelo went on last year, getting Julius Peppers, Chester Taylor and Brandon Manuma-oh who cares he's gone anyway. But I'll counter that point by saying there's an exception to every rule. One year does not change what you really are.

4. Knife to a Gunfight

As much as it pains me to say it, the Green Bay Packers are hands down the best team in the NFC North. I know that seems like an obvious statement to make seeing as how they're the Super Bowl champs and all. But it seems to warrant mentioning because I don't think Jerry Angelo realizes it. Last year the Bears caught every break possible on their way to the NFC Championship game, only to get outplayed from start to finish by the Pack. Meanwhile, our neighbors to the North fought through injuries to nine of their starters (who are all returning by the way) and won a title. Without doing anything to bolster what was already a dreadfully inept offense, the Bears are doing the Pack a favor by practially handing them the division on a silver platter.

3. Why Olsen and Why Now?

GREGG.jpg

Even after taking some time to process the G-Reg trade, for the life of me I can't figure this one out. Olsen was the Bears lone legitimate red zone target and tied for the most TD on the team in 2010. More importantly, he was Jay Cutler's security blanket and BFF. I know I'm not the first to suggest it, but there's a damn good chance Kid Cutler is going to be more upset about breaking up with Olsen than he was with his famous for nothing fiancee. While I'm happy we got a third round pick in the deal, what good is it going to do us this year?

2. Quit Screwing with Olin Kreutz

Bears fans are baffled by how long it's taken Angelo to resign Olin Kreutz. But frankly, I'm not surprised. Instead of making it a priority to bring the Bears heart and soul back into the fold, Angelo is lowballing the bejesus out of Kreutz at the risk of losing him altogether. Get your sh*t together and resign Kreutz. Even if his skills have declined the past few seasons, this offensive line would be a disaster without him running the show.

1. Inactivity

Bears faithful are chomping at the bit for Jerry Angelo to make a move and I don't blame them. This isn't the year to be laying in the weeds before making a strike. Why? Because you don't have that kind of time Jerry! Thanks to the lockout, you've got to move fast or else you'll be fighting over the scraps with other teams that pussyfooted around for the past week or so. And trust me when I say you're even more delusional than I thought if you're expecting Bears fans to fawn over guys like Roy Williams or Mike Sims-Walker. So consider yourself warned Mr. Angelo. There's some time left to straighten this mess out. But the clock is definitely ticking.

On a side note, I think it's about time for Chicago radio personalities to give the whole 'you're fans, you don't know what the hell you're talking about' act a rest. I'm glad you sit around the studio feeling special like you're in an exclusive club and the rest of the world isn't half as smart as you. But just know the rest of us think you're a bunch of pompous jackasses.

Angelo's a ****ing boob. His drafts only occasionally achieved mediocrity. He can't scout offense worth dick. And he ceded significant personnel responsibility to Lovie Smith. In other words, I'm not the least bit surprised that he's at the top of our list.

If you'd told me a week ago that I'd be rooting for us to promote Cohen, I would have thrown myself in front of a train. I still might.

Sensible people would do that. He (Gamble) had a bad interview? Really? Would his job with the Jets involve getting talent or blowing sunshine up Richie Rich's ass over coffee?

If they are thinking of hiring Jerry Angelo I would want them to call Tanny back and offer him the job!

I think at the end of the day Scott Cohen is starting to sound pretty, pretty, pretty good.

If we hire Jerry Angelo we best prepare for a bad half-decade. That fool spends 3 years worth of money and picks for Cutler then does absolutely nothing yet still with a JuCo caliber offensive line. Johnson will hopefully get the half empty stadium he deserves (and much more) if he makes this move.

Jets just need to hire Tom Gamble and call it a day. Let him do what he wants. He sounds better than all of these guys.

He didn't "interview" well (which means he probably told Woody something he didn't want to hear like fire Rex or this team is screwed next year). I think Tom's body of work outweighs any interview process and is exactly what the Jets need opposed to another fail cap guy.

He didn't "interview" well (which means he probably told Woody something he didn't want to hear like fire Rex or this team is screwed next year). I think Tom's body of work outweighs any interview process and is exactly what the Jets need opposed to another fail cap guy.

what is his body of work though? I havnt been successful trying to google it lol. I thought hes been around for longer then they have been successful. Did he draft some good players a while ago? exclude last 2 years

Woody: How interested are you in this job?

Gamble: I'm here talking to you.

Woody: Need to hear some enthusiasm! We want a GM who wants it! How keyed up are you to manage the J-E-T-S?

Gamble: Meh.

Archived