#1 CM28

CM28

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationStockholm Sweden

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:52 AM

Found this reported by Mehta:

Jim Popp, GM of Montreal Alouettes in CFL, is believed to be on Jets GM radar as well, I'm told. He had been in mix for Panthers job

This, for me who isn´t an american, is kind of interesting. I like the fact of getting a proven GM (CFL) to interview.

Also John Idzik from Seattle seems like a good candiate. Maybe time to sit back and have a little faith again, more so now when it seems like the in-house project is just for good means.

#2 spjets

spjets

NFL Alumni

• Members
  • 6,343 posts
  • Locationiron station NC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

Could you imagine this place if they hired a guy from CFL......

Oh boy

#3 T0mShane

T0mShane

From devil to Bevell, '15

• Members
  • 25,735 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

Ten bucks says they try to interview Billy Beane before it's all over.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#4 CM28

CM28

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

Oh boy

Yeah that was my first reaction, but you should check him out before you start to cry. The guy has been a GM for a very long time and has done a very good job. When stealing a good GM from another NFL team isn´t an option, why not check this guy out? Or if I am totaly wrong, explain why.

#5 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,011 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

I have no issues with this. Talent is talent and this guy has shown a ability to see that talent.
If you look at his strengths its been picking up released players for depth who have flourished, something we had issues with.
Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#6 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 57,469 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

Oh boy

I can't imagine what would happen. Part of me is rooting for it just for the entertainment value.

We paid 200k to get someone from the CFL? LOL..............

#7 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 26,931 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

Ten bucks says they try to interview Billy Beane before it's all over.

i thought you FO numbers geeks would love that?

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#8 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

Yeah that was my first reaction, but you should check him out before you start to cry. The guy has been a GM for a very long time and has done a very good job. When stealing a good GM from another NFL team isn´t an option, why not check this guy out? Or if I am totaly wrong, explain why.

There is one potentially significant issue with this idea. When you're interviewing personnel guys throughout the league, one of the benefits that comes along with their obvious experience in the field is their preexisting knowledge of the current players throughout the NFL. In an instance like this, you're talking about a guy who isn't going to know much of anything about the league's current player base outside of some basic common knowledge, because those aren't the guys who he's spent his career studying. While the general skills and experience may be there, you're surrendering a whole lot of knowledge and that means, for a fairly significant amount of time, the GM would have to be heavily relying on his staff for all player evaluation. While there's a degree of that for any GM candidate, since they obviously can't know everything about every player, I feel like it would be far more significant in this case than your average GM hire. That would only be compounded by the fact that he'd likely be sporting a staff that would not even be his own, as you certainly aren't going to rely on the CFL scouts he's familiar with to know much about NFL players or, perhaps more importantly, the pool of college players who are certain to be NFL-bound.
By day he's the (not so) mild-mannered Bleedin Green, but by night...

#9 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,011 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

There is one potentially significant issue with this idea. When you're interviewing personnel guys throughout the league, one of the benefits that comes along with their obvious experience in the field is their preexisting knowledge of the current players throughout the NFL. In an instance like this, you're talking about a guy who isn't going to know much of anything about the league's current player base outside of some basic common knowledge, because those aren't the guys who he's spent his career studying. While the general skills and experience may be there, you're surrendering a whole lot of knowledge and that means, for a fairly significant amount of time, the GM would have to be heavily relying on his staff for all player evaluation. While there's a degree of that for any GM candidate, since they obviously can't know everything about every player, I feel like it would be far more significant in this case than your average GM hire. That would only be compounded by the fact that he'd likely be sporting a staff that would not even be his own, as you certainly aren't going to rely on the CFL scouts he's familiar with to know much about NFL players or, perhaps more importantly, the pool of college players who are certain to be NFL-bound.

On the other side, talent changes so fast in NFL he would up to speed ASAP. If he feels we have scouts who have done due diligence on draft and evaluators who know current guys we could pick up , you get a guy who has proven from a organazational POV he can be the CEO/GM type and run a sound shop.

Being a talent evaluator or cap guy reporting to a Proven GM is like a great OC or DC reporting to a Proven HC. All the OCs and DCs dont turn out to be great HCs. Some of the talent/cap guys dont turn out to be great GMs. This guy has been best GM in CFL for 12 years.

Edited by SouthernJet, 10 January 2013 - 10:10 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

On the other side, talent changes so fast in NFL he would up to speed ASAP. If he feels we have scouts who have done due diligence on draft and evaluators who know current guys we could pick up , you get a guy who has proven from a organazational POV he can be the CEO/GM type and run a sound shop.

Being a talent evaluator or cap guy reporting to a Proven GM is like a great OC or DC reporting to a Proven HC. All the OCs and DCs dont turn out to be great HCs. Some of the talent/cap guys dont turn out to be great GMs. This guy has been best GM in CFL for 12 years.

I don't disagree that there is the potential, in the long run, for it to work out, but you'd have to realize going in that he's going to be deferring a lot in the beginning to the likes of Bradway & Co in terms of player evaluation, even with the FA pool, as he's just not going to have the knowledge about these guys. Granted, in the end he would be able to look at these guys himself before actually making a final decision, but it would be a matter of getting to that point. I certainly don't think it's destined for failure, but I think you're essentially looking at a different type of learning curve than what you'd see in your normal GM hire.

#11 CM28

CM28

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

I tend to agree with SouthernJet. First year will probably not be his finest but I think he or someone like him would be a great long term solution. And that has to be what matters. Stability.

#12 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,011 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

I don't disagree that there is the potential, in the long run, for it to work out, but you'd have to realize going in that he's going to be deferring a lot in the beginning to the likes of Bradway & Co in terms of player evaluation, even with the FA pool, as he's just not going to have the knowledge about these guys. Granted, in the end he would be able to look at these guys himself before actually making a final decision, but it would be a matter of getting to that point. I certainly don't think it's destined for failure, but I think you're essentially looking at a different type of learning curve than what you'd see in your normal GM hire.

We have 'the beginning' to work with .I am more than willing to let 2013 be a NFL learning curve since he is FAR more proven in being a GM already. The other guys would be ahead of curve talent wise, but need to learn to be a GM. So six of one so to speak.
Posted Image

#13 CM28

CM28

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Don´t know about that. Look at the Tanny-era..

#14 KSJets

KSJets

The Hammer

• Members
  • 4,165 posts
  • LocationPlainsboro, NJ

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Oh boy

Don't kid yourself, the vocal minority are going to bitch, moan, whine, and cry no matter who the Jets pick. I guarantee it.
"This "breaking news" was addressed a few weeks ago. The Pats suck and all of their accomplishments are bogus as they cheated." - Gainzo

#15 KSJets

KSJets

The Hammer

• Members
  • 4,165 posts
  • LocationPlainsboro, NJ

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Steve Mariucci tweeted last night that he would be a great hire:

Steve Mariucci@SteveMariucci
Jim Popp GM Montreal CFL will make an excellent GM in NFL !!!! Mark my words !
"This "breaking news" was addressed a few weeks ago. The Pats suck and all of their accomplishments are bogus as they cheated." - Gainzo

#16 CM28

CM28

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Yeah baby :)

#17 Bugg

Bugg

Of counsel whack job

• Members
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

One thing that a CFL GM has to know is what NFL rejects can play, whoa re the guys at the end of NFL benches who can or might contribute and what CFL talent he can raid.By defintion he is already a bottom feeder who has to know the same talent pool an NFL GM would have to know.

Exactly the reasons Wrecks Ryan, King of the New York Jets, will have no use for such a man.
Objective-Glendale, Arizona

Super Bowl 49-February, 2015

#18 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Don´t know about that. Look at the Tanny-era..

I'm not exactly sure what point you are making there. Tanny seemed to become progressively worse as a GM with each passing year.

#19 CM28

CM28

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

I'm not exactly sure what point you are making there. Tanny seemed to become progressively worse as a GM with each passing year.

Not just bad, like me then

#20 Irish Jet

Irish Jet

• Members
  • 23,400 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Can we get a QB from the CFL?

UPGRADE.

#21 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,715 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

One thing that a CFL GM has to know is what NFL rejects can play, whoa re the guys at the end of NFL benches who can or might contribute and what CFL talent he can raid.By defintion he is already a bottom feeder who has to know the same talent pool an NFL GM would have to know.

Exactly the reasons Wrecks Ryan, King of the New York Jets, will have no use for such a man.

why should we believe Rex has any say in who the next GM is gonna be? Because he was at the press conference? As for the original statement that's true, when you go to the combine or senior bowl, the Cfl staffs are there too, they look at all the guys too.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#22 Bugg

Bugg

Of counsel whack job

• Members
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

why should we believe Rex has any say in who the next GM is gonna be? Because he was at the press conference? As for the original statement that's true, when you go to the combine or senior bowl, the Cfl staffs are there too, they look at all the guys too.

Seemed from the press conference if you take it at face value Wrecks Ryan is the Jets, period.
Objective-Glendale, Arizona

Super Bowl 49-February, 2015

#23 JFtoLong

JFtoLong

2nd Year Veteran

• Banned
  • 1,294 posts
  • Locationgrassy knoll

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

My out of box thinking is to give Buddy Ryan the GM job, Rob Ryan the capology job.

#24 Greenseed4

Greenseed4

Eskimo Brother

• Members
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

I disagree. Especially when our team is looking to be financially strapped.

If you look at our favorite team from the North, they are constantly getting bargain-basement deals on players who still have viable talent in the league... the name Danny Woodhead comes to mind but there are plenty others. Perhaps a quality bottom-feeding GM is Exactly what we need, and I don't see his hiring as being exclusive. Maybe we can pair him with a talented personell guy like Gamble and a numbers guy like Khan, and create a legitimate front office.

#25 pedro55

pedro55

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

I would have no issues with it if he's good, but its like getting a HC from college. They should know scouting, recruiting, this and that, and many fail at the NFL level for a variety of reasons. The transition from a league that most people don't even know about or watch to a league and a team where every move is going to be questioned, is something that can't be taught.

A guy from Ohio might be afraid of joining the Jets. A guy from an entirely different football league, a league that most people don't watch, would be interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users