Jim Popp GM Speculation thread (MERGED)

CM28

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many top picks, bust or not, really matter in the long run?

It's great to make good first round picks, but look at the teams who seem to win year after year.

Ravens... They took Flaco with the 18th pick, but how many times do the Ravens even pick in the top 10?

Steelers... They aren't know to make some big splashy picks. They dump the Buresses, Holmes, etc and still win.

The Patriots. They seem to know how to make smart decisions in the draft and free agency.

The Eagles for years dumped aging players and replaced them with younger versions of the same player.

Packers. Rodgers was a guy who fell to them, not a guy they traded everything away for.

Honestly I'd rather the Jets find a guy or staff who mimic winning teams who care more about winning over making the big bad splashy pick.

Building a winning team year after year seems to be the motto of the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Packers, even Giants. It's really not about having a bust, but building a team that can win over the long haul. And replacing players, coaches, scouts year after year. It seems the Jets and most other teams in the NFL want to 'hit that homerun' with one pick and always wind up stinking year after year or they wind up in the middle of the pack year after year with an entire new regime every few seasons.

IMO the Patriots do not fit in with the rest of those teams. The Pats have signed tons of big name and aging FAs. I also don't see how any team doesn't try to "hit that homerun" with their draft picks. The problem isn't trying to hit homeruns, it's grounding out.

IMO the Patriots do not fit in with the rest of those teams. The Pats have signed tons of big name and aging FAs. I also don't see how any team doesn't try to "hit that homerun" with their draft picks. The problem isn't trying to hit homeruns, it's grounding out.

Patriots don't really sign big names. They give up nothing for them or convince them to take a pay cut. Randy Moss was stolen from the Raiders. Corey Dillon didn't get much from them in regards to money. That's the difference. I would say most teams who hope that 1 top ten player turns the team around is more disappointed than happy. It's also why we see the same teams over and over winding up in the top ten.

And many times teams pick a QB or RB or over evaluated Defensive player who never lives up to expectations. A player like DBrick is a decent player, wouldn't say great, but good. However he was a good pick because he's been a staple for the Jets for years. If he were a QB or RB, he probably would have been cut or called a bust a long time ago. Thats the problem with "Splashy picks." Teams in the top 10 always try to pick the big name, the big splash, the star. More often than not, teams wind up disappointed.

Good teams, teams who seem to win year after year after year, concentrate more on building to their strengths, improving their weaknesses, and not signing the splashy names. The Patriots sign 'splashy names" long after they were splashy. And The Patriots cut Randy Moss after he had some disagreements. The Jets keep Holmes after he talks trash. That's the difference.

Patriots don't really sign big names. They give up nothing for them or convince them to take a pay cut. Randy Moss was stolen from the Raiders. Corey Dillon didn't get much from them in regards to money. That's the difference. I would say most teams who hope that 1 top ten player turns the team around is more disappointed than happy. It's also why we see the same teams over and over winding up in the top ten.

And many times teams pick a QB or RB or over evaluated Defensive player who never lives up to expectations. A player like DBrick is a decent player, wouldn't say great, but good. However he was a good pick because he's been a staple for the Jets for years. If he were a QB or RB, he probably would have been cut or called a bust a long time ago. Thats the problem with "Splashy picks." Teams in the top 10 always try to pick the big name, the big splash, the star. More often than not, teams wind up disappointed.

Good teams, teams who seem to win year after year after year, concentrate more on building to their strengths, improving their weaknesses, and not signing the splashy names. The Patriots sign 'splashy names" long after they were splashy. And The Patriots cut Randy Moss after he had some disagreements. The Jets keep Holmes after he talks trash. That's the difference.

\

Smart FA pickups are not why we see the Pats in the top 10. The Pats have signed dozens of vet FAs and they mostly didn't pan out. Might as well copy "Get lucky with HOF QB" as a model.

What exactly is a splashy pick in the top 10? Is it Jason Smith at #2 overall?

Smart FA pickups are not why we see the Pats in the top 10. The Pats have signed dozens of vet FAs and they mostly didn't pan out. Might as well copy "Get lucky with HOF QB" as a model.

What exactly is a splashy pick in the top 10? Is it Jason Smith at #2 overall?

The New England Patriots. 2 Losing seasons since 1994. Won the Division 12 Times since 1994.

It's not about Tom Brady. It's not even about BB.

They've been to the super bowl 6 times since 1996. They lost a super bowl with Drew Bledsoe. Who was one of those "Bust or Star kind of picks" and he had a few good seasons but never lived up to the hype. But at least he wasn't Rick Mirer.

The Pittsburgh Steelers 3 Losing Seasons since 1992. Been to the Super Bowl 4 times since 1995.

Won the division 11 Times.

The Green Bay Packers have had 2 Losing Seasons since 1992. They've been to the super bowl 3 times.

Won the division 9 Times.

The Jets have had 8 Losing Seasons since 1992. Won the AFC East twice.

And have had a ton of 8-8, 9-7 seasons which don't count as losing, but brings you back to that Avg team that never rebuilds or wins.

A stud franchise QB might help, but come on. Tom Brady wasn't a first round pick. Aaron Rodgers dropped to the end of the first round.

Favre was traded to the packers and wasn't a first round pick. Bledsoe was closer to a bust than a stud. Big Ben was a Miami of Ohio late first rounder. And the 90's steelers had terrible QBs. The truth is, these teams seem to know how to build winning organizations regardless of coaches, players, etc. The Jets find ways to rebuild every few years.

POPP has worked with our former HC WALT MICHAELS. POPP has an extensive football background and should not be dismissed so lightly! I guess the guys who are mocking POPP also mocked CAMERON WAKE, KURT WARNER, COOKIE GILCREST, WARREN MOON and several other CFL players that excelled in the NFL.

LOL, Love it. Cookie Gilcrest. I am so old I actually knew him. In 1962 (I was 10) I was friends with the son Lou Saban (HC of Bills). Lived down the street etc. Got to meet lots of Bills, one of which was Cookie. From what I remember he was always laughing.

Darian Durant 'from CFL' would be my 1st choice as Veteran pickup. I like Matt Moore from NFL as FA Vet pickup.

Honestly people must not have ever watched Matt Moore play. I'd rather Sanchez stick around for another year or two then give a contract to Matt Moore. He is not better than Sanchez.

Honestly people must not have ever watched Matt Moore play. I'd rather Sanchez stick around for another year or two then give a contract to Matt Moore. He is not better than Sanchez.

wow I so disagree.

I dont want Moore for next 5 years but as 1or 2 year stopgap until Jets find right guy or rookie.

What Moore gives you (along with our decent D) is he keeps poise and is not a turrnover machine. You will not have a lot of great choices in FA market and I sure dont want to trade for anyone short term. get a free FA pickup who will manage a game and not have panic attacks like Sanchez did.

wow I so disagree.

I dont want Moore for next 5 years but as 1or 2 year stopgap until Jets find right guy or rookie.

What Moore gives you (along with our decent D) is he keeps poise and is not a turrnover machine. You will not have a lot of great choices in FA market and I sure dont want to trade for anyone short term. get a free FA pickup who will manage a game and not have panic attacks like Sanchez did.

Did you actually watch him play? He fumbles just as much as Sanchez. He might not give you those butt fumbles or viral youtube videos, but there was a reason he was the third best QB for the Dolphins.

I dont like him at all for one, for two, if they can't dump Sanchez because of the contract, Moore is awful enough to where he'd lose the starting job to Sanchez next year.

The New England Patriots. 2 Losing seasons since 1994. Won the Division 12 Times since 1994.

It's not about Tom Brady. It's not even about BB.

They've been to the super bowl 6 times since 1996. They lost a super bowl with Drew Bledsoe. Who was one of those "Bust or Star kind of picks" and he had a few good seasons but never lived up to the hype. But at least he wasn't Rick Mirer.

The Pittsburgh Steelers 3 Losing Seasons since 1992. Been to the Super Bowl 4 times since 1995.

Won the division 11 Times.

The Green Bay Packers have had 2 Losing Seasons since 1992. They've been to the super bowl 3 times.

Won the division 9 Times.

The Jets have had 8 Losing Seasons since 1992. Won the AFC East twice.

And have had a ton of 8-8, 9-7 seasons which don't count as losing, but brings you back to that Avg team that never rebuilds or wins.

A stud franchise QB might help, but come on. Tom Brady wasn't a first round pick. Aaron Rodgers dropped to the end of the first round.

Favre was traded to the packers and wasn't a first round pick. Bledsoe was closer to a bust than a stud. Big Ben was a Miami of Ohio late first rounder. And the 90's steelers had terrible QBs. The truth is, these teams seem to know how to build winning organizations regardless of coaches, players, etc. The Jets find ways to rebuild every few years.

I'm not sure what all the highlighting and bold is supposed to prove. I am not denying that the Pats are a good team, but I dispute that they are built like all these others.

Ben was the 11th pick in the draft. Not a "late first rounder". Discussing where these QBs came from is meaningless. The important thing is, they are good or better. Belichik is a great coach, but you are giving him credit for things that happened when he was a DC. Belichik went 5-11 in his only full season with Bledsoe. They were on their way to being 0-2 when Mo Lewis nearly killed him. In fact, as HC BB had exactly two winning seasons without Brady and one was with Cassel.

Did you actually watch him play? He fumbles just as much as Sanchez. He might not give you those butt fumbles or viral youtube videos, but there was a reason he was the third best QB for the Dolphins.

I dont like him at all for one, for two, if they can't dump Sanchez because of the contract, Moore is awful enough to where he'd lose the starting job to Sanchez next year.

agree to disagree, and get ready to gulp, cause he is probably coming here

Does the CFL consist of any teams other than the "Montreal Alouettes" and the "Saskatchewan Roughriders"?

They're the only two I ever hear about, and if that's the case, Popp making the "playoffs" 15 years running isn't really an accomplishment.

Still, I could get behind Popp.

It's nice of

I'm not sure what all the highlighting and bold is supposed to prove. I am not denying that the Pats are a good team, but I dispute that they are built like all these others.

Ben was the 11th pick in the draft. Not a "late first rounder". Discussing where these QBs came from is meaningless. The important thing is, they are good or better. Belichik is a great coach, but you are giving him credit for things that happened when he was a DC. Belichik went 5-11 in his only full season with Bledsoe. They were on their way to being 0-2 when Mo Lewis nearly killed hi. In fact, as HC he had exactly two winning seasons without Brady.

I'm not really talking about BB. I'm talking about winning organizations.

The Patriots went to the super bowl with Bledsoe when Parcell's was around. BB was just a DC. Hell, they still had Curtis Martin.

Maybe if Parcells stuck around the Jets they'd have one of those organizations. To me it' s not just about coaching, players, etc.

As the list shows you, those teams have been super bowl contenders pretty much every year for 20 damn years. New coaches, new GMs, new Players. Doesn't seem to matter. It's the 'machine' that keeps building winning teams.

Whereas the Jets seem to be a team that never really rebuilds but never really wins either. They are the constant 8-8 team.

Herm sucked at this, fire him and restart. Mangini stunk at this, fire him. Rex sucks at this, bring in somebody else.

These other teams, while coaching and star QBs and other players are factors, they seem to know how to pick the right GMs, pick the right Scouts, pick the right coaches, pick the right players, etc.

I think the Jets need to start building a winning organization and not just hope to find some stud QB and some stud head coach. Because we've been down this damn path before. And it's always deja vu.

I'm not really talking about BB. I'm talking about winning organizations.

The Patriots went to the super bowl with Bledsoe when Parcell's was around. BB was just a DC. Hell, they still had Curtis Martin.

Maybe if Parcells stuck around the Jets they'd have one of those organizations. To me it' s not just about coaching, players, etc.

As the list shows you, those teams have been super bowl contenders pretty much every year for 20 damn years. New coaches, new GMs, new Players. Doesn't seem to matter. It's the 'machine' that keeps building winning teams.

Whereas the Jets seem to be a team that never really rebuilds but never really wins either. They are the constant 8-8 team.

Herm sucked at this, fire him and restart. Mangini stunk at this, fire him. Rex sucks at this, bring in somebody else.

These other teams, while coaching and start QBs and other players are factors, they seem to know how to pick the right GMs, pick the right Scouts, pick the right coaches, pick the right players, etc.

I think the Jets need to start building a winning organization and not just hope to find some stud QB and some stud head coach. Because we've been down this damn path before. And it's always deja vu.

Strongly disagree. We have this because of what we are having now. Complaining while we search for a GM. What do those teams have? Stability. FWIW, Tomlin has taken a super bowl team and run them to 8-8. Those teams don't have any magic. The Pats? They didn't win sh*t until they got Brady. The Steelers have always been stable and well run, yet Cowher didn't win a title for how many years? You mentioned the Eagles before. They never won a super bowl, so according to this fan base EVERY season was a failure.

agree to disagree, and get ready to gulp, cause he is probably coming here

I sure hope not. You do realize Moore was the starting QB going into camp last year. And he proceeded to stink it up bad enough and lose the starting job to David Garrard. And he proceeded to stink it up enough that he couldn't beat out a rookie QB nobody thought was ready for the NFL.

The only reason he wasn't cut was because Garrard got injured and has a history of injuries. So he wound up backing up Ryan T.

Like I said, it's not even really about how bad Moore is as a QB, it's the fact is he isn't good enough to win the backup job in Miami in a year he was supposed to be the starting QB. So signing him cheap and not being able to dump Sanchez or his contract, you do realize what will happen? Sanchez convinces Rex Ryan he is the best chance to win, and Moore is the backup or winds up losing out the backup job to

Greg McElroy.

That's more likely what will happen if Sanchez sticks around and the jets bring in Moore.

Part of the reason the Patriots are so good, particularly in the Belichick/Brady era, is that somehow, they always do their jobs. They don't make mistakes. The players that fit and do their jobs, the Patriots keep. Everyone else is cut. And Brady can almost make up for any shortcomings on his own. I don't know if this is coaching or stability or what. But the Patriots don't seem to make mistakes like, say, the Jets do.

That said, as long as the Jets don't promote from within, I think I'll be okay with the GM they choose. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer a top tier candidate to a less than top tier candidate, but as long as it's somebody new, I won't flip out. They REALLY need someone fresh. This Popp guy sounds interesting. 2013 might not be his best year, but aren't most of us conceding 2013 as a lost cause anyway?

Strongly disagree. We have this because of what we are having now. Complaining while we search for a GM. What do those teams have? Stability. FWIW, Tomlin has taken a super bowl team and run them to 8-8. Those teams don't have any magic. The Pats? They didn't win sh*t until they got Brady. The Steelers have always been stable and well run, yet Cowher didn't win a title for how many years? You mentioned the Eagles before. They never won a super bowl, so according to this fan base EVERY season was a failure.

The Jets have had the same crap for decades. Every few years its the search for the next coach, next GM, next QB.

A nice 11-5 season, followed by a bunch of 8-8 seasons. No matter who they bring in it's almost always the same result.

I'm not sold on Tomlin being a great HC, but he was the one they picked and they won a super bowl the following year.

People love to fall for Gruden and what did he really do in Tampa? Won a super bowl with somebody elses players and proceeded to drive them to the ground. And yet, everybody and their brother seem to think Gruden is a HOF coach for some reason. I'm not sure Tomlin is all that different in that regards. He won a super bowl, he took the Steelers to another super bowl.

It would be nice to win a super bowl, but it would be nice to actually be a super bowl contender.

The Pats haven't won a super bowl in almost a decade. The Packers went over a decade between winning super bowls.

Eagles never won a super bowl and people were always calling for McNabb's head and Reids head.

Cowher was becoming like Marty S.. He couldn't win the big game.

So it wasn't like those guys were always known as heros or saviors. Cowher was on the 'hot seat' for years. But Pittsburgh rarely fires coaches. Players get cut, coaches stick around. But those teams were super bowl contenders year in and year out. It would be nice for the Jets to be a super bowl contender year in and year out. The first two years of the Rex era seemed like it was too good to be true. And it was.

It's almost a deja vu to the herm edwards era. It's like Herm Edwards 2.0. The Jets were always supposed to become like one of those contenders, but Herm was a terrible HC, and the Jets just never really got better. They had some nice games, nice runs, but eventually they stunk. Mangini was a know it all who wasn't very good. He might have some abilities as a HC, but he's just far too arrogant for a guy who never really won anything. He's almost as bad as a Lane Kiffin.

I don't mind Rex sticking around. He has some potential. Maybe this 6-10 season will mellow him a bit, or humble him. But after watching that press conference, I doubt it. It would be great to win a super bowl, but the truth is, it would be great if the Jets were one of those organizations that competed for a super bowl every year. It's sports, it's hard to win every game. There are disappointments. There are setbacks. But winning organizations seem to fight every year. Steelers missed the playoffs this year, but who really thinks they won't make a run next year?

Patriots lost another super bowl last year, who doubts them this year? Packers were stunned by the Giants last year after a 15-1 season and they started this year out awful and had that bad hail mary called against them. They still win.

You can't always win. That's just life. But knowing that your team, year after year, can compete for a super bowl, must be a nice feeling.

The Jets seem to be the team who has a nice season once every decade, and then never really matters after that. Then they fire some coaches, make some noise, and it's deja vu all over again.

How many top picks, bust or not, really matter in the long run?

It's great to make good first round picks, but look at the teams who seem to win year after year.

Ravens... They took Flaco with the 18th pick, but how many times do the Ravens even pick in the top 10?

Steelers... They aren't know to make some big splashy picks. They dump the Buresses, Holmes, etc and still win.

The Patriots. They seem to know how to make smart decisions in the draft and free agency.

The Eagles for years dumped aging players and replaced them with younger versions of the same player.

Packers. Rodgers was a guy who fell to them, not a guy they traded everything away for.

Honestly I'd rather the Jets find a guy or staff who mimic winning teams who care more about winning over making the big bad splashy pick.

Building a winning team year after year seems to be the motto of the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Packers, even Giants. It's really not about having a bust, but building a team that can win over the long haul. And replacing players, coaches, scouts year after year. It seems the Jets and most other teams in the NFL want to 'hit that homerun' with one pick and always wind up stinking year after year or they wind up in the middle of the pack year after year with an entire new regime every few seasons.

Sorry, been up for 25 hours straight and will have to get back to you.

Why is it all those teams that are mentioned as model franchises and are competent every year are they very same teams that have a franchise QB ? :confused0082:

Sometimes people just don't like to give credit where credit is due. Or they forget what actually happened. Lets look at some numbers.

Which one is Mark Sanchez's rookie year playoff stats (3 Games)

62% completion 576 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT 77.3 QB rating

60% completion 539 yards, 4 TD, 2 INT 92.7 QB rating

59% completion 792 yards, 5 TD, 2 INT 84.5 QB rating

It's easy to say a HOF QB wins you a super bowl. A franchise QB wins you a super bowl.

The problem with the above numbers is Tom Brady is the guy who only had 1 TD pass in two Playoff games and a Super bowl. And he had the benefit of one of the most clutch kickers in the postseason and 'the tuck rule.'

Brady's super bowl numbers that year were an incredible 16-27 145 passing Yards, 1 TD and 0 Interceptions.

Mark Sanchez had the 92.7 QB rating his rookie year in the playoffs.

So while Brady wound up being a HOF QB, he wasn't exactly putting up HOF numbers, even when the Patriots won the super bowl the first time. True, Sanchez wound up being a mental case, but the truth is, it is about the organization. The team. Because out of those 3 numbers of up there, the guy with the best QB rating in the playoffs didn't win a super bowl. Didn't even make it to one.

Sometimes people just don't like to give credit where credit is due. Or they forget what actually happened. Lets look at some numbers.

It's easy to say a HOF QB wins you a super bowl. A franchise QB wins you a super bowl.

The problem with the above numbers is Tom Brady is the guy who only had 1 TD pass in two Playoff games and a Super bowl. And he had the benefit of one of the most clutch kickers in the postseason and 'the tuck rule.'

Brady's super bowl numbers that year were an incredible 16-27 145 passing Yards, 1 TD and 0 Interceptions.

So while Brady wound up being a HOF QB, he wasn't exactly putting up HOF numbers, even when the Patriots won the super bowl the first time. True, Sanchez wound up being a mental case, but the truth is, it is about the organization. The team. Because out of those 3 numbers of up there, the guy with the best QB rating in the playoffs didn't win a super bowl. Didn't even make it to one.

What about the regular season ?

Also IIRC in those playoffs Brady was hurt and Bledsoe played some and he got them to the next step.

We can go even further... A lot worse.

Big Ben.

His super bowl numbers with Cowher.

9-21 123 Yards, 0 TD, 2 INT, 22.6 QB Rating.

Sometimes it's not just about the Franchise QB.

I don't know about anyone else, but

I played your little game.

I had a good time.

What about the regular season ?

Also IIRC in those playoffs Brady was hurt and Bledsoe played some and he got them to the next step.

But thats the point, in that AFC Championship game, Bledsoe had a TD pass. Bledsoe helped them win.

As far as Brady, his first season as a starter for the Patriots was nothing special.

18 TDs, 12 INTs. 63.9% Completion 2843 Yards Passing 86.5 QB rating

Brady's Second season as starter (They didn't even make playoffs.. last time Jets won the Division)

28 TDs 14 INTs 62.1% Completion 3724 yards passing 85.7 QB rating

3rd Season (Patriots won super bowl over Carolina)

23 TDs 12 INTs 60.2% completion 3620 Yards Passing 85.9 QB Rating

He did improve over that first year, but i wouldnt say year #3 as a starter for Brady was HOF numbers.

But thats the point, in that AFC Championship game, Bledsoe had a TD pass. Bledsoe helped them win.

As far as Brady, his first season as a starter for the Patriots was nothing special.

18 TDs, 12 INTs. 63.9% Completion 2843 Yards Passing 86.5 QB rating

Brady's Second season as starter (They didn't even make playoffs.. last time Jets won the Division)

28 TDs 14 INTs 62.1% Completion 3724 yards passing 85.7 QB rating

3rd Season (Patriots won super bowl over Carolina)

23 TDs 12 INTs 60.2% completion 3620 Yards Passing 85.9 QB Rating

He did improve over that first year, but i wouldnt say year #3 as a starter for Brady was HOF numbers.

There are JETS fans who would love to have a QB with a 85 plus rating.

And Brady might have had like more than 3 seasons QBing his team. Just a guess.

Archived