Jim Popp GM Speculation thread (MERGED)

CM28

If he was an assistant now, he'd be Cohen, right? A guy no fan really wants because the Tannenbaum stink is all over him.

I'd lean towards giving him the job. I don't know what he's getting paid in Canada, if the Jets can offer him a big pay raise to be the assistant to a guy like Khan, maybe you try going that route. But he's been successful in the big chair in a smaller pond for a long time, he may not be open to taking a second banana role.

In his interview, I'd want to hear about the staff he feels he could put together. Hs going to need some help on the NFL level, and I definitely prefer that not be Bradway.

He wont go assiatant route I agree slats.

so what, u keep bradway/cohen this year thru draft (not far off in reality) ,and then probably let him start assembling his staff. I would assume Cohen would stay until he gets a GM offer down road.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

agree, but I am old enough to know that odd stuff happens.

Trestman getting up there and for all we know he may have decided its HC or nothing anymore. No idea..

The Jets would certainly be a decent gamble for him though as I assume it would be 90% certainty that Popp would can rex if Jets faltered in 2013 and promote 'his guy' Trestman.

This may be Popps thinking and in reality SHOULD have been Caldwell,Tedesco etc thinking as well.

Free pass in 2013 (1st year, cap hell), then fire Rex after season, bring in my guy and sort of buy yourself another mini Free Pass season .

lol...you are one of the few on this site with more seasoned than I at viewing another change in the Jets management carousel.

We don't know either's motivation or what they'd settle for...personally don't mind Caldwell and Tedesco saying no...no guts, no glory...cause I'm with you...2013 is make or break for Rex not the new GM...not sure Trestman would come for an OC position but if we could finagle him to me the combo makes sense...Popp from the stuff written about him...appears to be a grinder...good eye for talent...obviously on a smaller scale than an NFL team...but we've seen some good HC come from the CFL...so I'd go with him. The relationship with Trestman also addresses one area we are woefully inadequate...just hope Korn/Ferry sees it the same way and that Woody can close the deal.

If they think he is long term GM CEO type who gives a shiit if he 'has a learning curve' in 2013. I would rather look to future rather than pass upa potential good fit cause he doesnt know all teh NFL personell yet. Damn, personell changes dramatically year to year anyways.

I agree. Doesn't matter where they start...its how they finish...he's my preferred candidate from all I've read so far.

If he was an assistant now, he'd be Cohen, right? A guy no fan really wants because the Tannenbaum stink is all over him.

I'd lean towards giving him the job. I don't know what he's getting paid in Canada, if the Jets can offer him a big pay raise to be the assistant to a guy like Khan, maybe you try going that route. But he's been successful in the big chair in a smaller pond for a long time, he may not be open to taking a second banana role.

In his interview, I'd want to hear about the staff he feels he could put together. Hs going to need some help on the NFL level, and I definitely prefer that not be Bradway.

How does this make sense? So you hire the 32 year old Khan to be GM. And you hire the Canadian Football League guy to be assistant GM to get his feet wet? How does this make sense? So you're hiring a young GM thinking he's not good enough and you hope he fails, so you can promote this other old guy cause he doesn't have the NFL Experience? That just makes no sense.

If you hire Khan to be the cap gm guy and Popp to be the scouting gm guy, makes sense, but would either really go for that? And would the Jets be willing to pay 2 unknown GMs? No clue. THat's on Woody. That plan makes more sense. Kind of co-GMs.

But hiring Khan to be the temporary GM and Popp to be the Assistant GM, that makes no sense.

lol...you are one of the few on this site with more seasoned than I at viewing another change in the Jets management carousel.

We don't know either's motivation or what they'd settle for...personally don't mind Caldwell and Tedesco saying no...no guts, no glory...cause I'm with you...2013 is make or break for Rex not the new GM...not sure Trestman would come for an OC position but if we could finagle him to me the combo makes sense...Popp from the stuff written about him...appears to be a grinder...good eye for talent...obviously on a smaller scale than an NFL team...but we've seen some good HC come from the CFL...so I'd go with him. The relationship with Trestman also addresses one area we are woefully inadequate...just hope Korn/Ferry sees it the same way and that Woody can close the deal.

I agree with you Code..The best LONG term solution (not the best 2013 solution, I agree) to me right now appears to be Popp.

For what its worth, the word down here (NC) is that Popp was the runnerup in Panthers GM search. The Giants Gettleman won the GM job, but Popp beat out the Giants Marc Ross, Minnesota Vikings assistant general manager George Paton, Tennessee Titans vice president of player personnel Lake Dawson and current Panthers interim general manager Brandon Beane.

So Panthers thought Popp better candidate than Ross.

He wont go assiatant route I agree slats.

so what, u keep bradway/cohen this year thru draft (not far off in reality) ,and then probably let him start assembling his staff. I would assume Cohen would stay until he gets a GM offer down road.

I don't think there's anyway around the new GM using the front office in place for the draft - even if they hire from within the NFL.

How does this make sense? So you hire the 32 year old Khan to be GM. And you hire the Canadian Football League guy to be assistant GM to get his feet wet? How does this make sense? So you're hiring a young GM thinking he's not good enough and you hope he fails, so you can promote this other old guy cause he doesn't have the NFL Experience? That just makes no sense.

If you hire Khan to be the cap gm guy and Popp to be the scouting gm guy, makes sense, but would either really go for that? And would the Jets be willing to pay 2 unknown GMs? No clue. THat's on Woody. That plan makes more sense. Kind of co-GMs.

But hiring Khan to be the temporary GM and Popp to be the Assistant GM, that makes no sense.

I'm just thinking out loud here. If they like a guy like Khan, I'd want them to hire a personnel guy to go with him. I wouldn't want Khan keeping Bradway on board.

An assistant job might be a promotion for Popp, where Khan would need to have the GM title to come over. Or you give Khan a President-type title, and Popp the GM job. I don't know. Both guys bring something to the table, but not everything.

I don't think there's anyway around the new GM using the front office in place for the draft - even if they hire from within the NFL.

I'm just thinking out loud here. If they like a guy like Khan, I'd want them to hire a personnel guy to go with him. I wouldn't want Khan keeping Bradway on board.

An assistant job might be a promotion for Popp, where Khan would need to have the GM title to come over. Or you give Khan a President-type title, and Popp the GM job. I don't know. Both guys bring something to the table, but not everything.

Maybe, but dividing the power would still leave Rex with a hell of an opportunity to retain strength and be the alpha dog in the room. Might be better off with ONE boss.

Maybe, but dividing the power would still leave Rex with a hell of an opportunity to retain strength and be the alpha dog in the room. Might be better off with ONE boss.

I like the idea of Khan with Popp, if Woody can pull it off and both guys agree to work together.

However the concern is that Khan would be the behind the scenes cap guy and Popp the new to the NFL guy with Rex hovering over both of them.

Great analogy. The talent level is essentially the same in both leagues. Good point. This guy sucks.

I'm just gonna go out on a wild-ass limb here and suggest that it's a little bit harder to go out and find the #1 collegiate quarterback in the nation and draft him to play in NYC than it is to sift through a scrap heap to lure the 45th best quarterback away from an internship at FedEx Global to come play against beer leaguers in Calgary.

But, no, really, let's all work really hard to convince ourselves that Joe Canuck is ready to lead this franchise.

So after the success of 2 QB system we are trying out a 2 GM system.

I'd think the opposite. If the two men came in as partners, they'd have a two against one vs. Rex, and that could be a good thing.

I'm just gonna go out on a wild-ass limb here and suggest that it's a little bit harder to go out and find the #1 collegiate quarterback in the nation and draft him to play in NYC than it is to sift through a scrap heap to lure the 45th best quarterback away from an internship at FedEx Global to come play against beer leaguers in Calgary.

But, no, really, let's all work really hard to convince ourselves that Joe Canuck is ready to lead this franchise.

Yep. Totally ridiculously hard to tell that Andrew Luck is going to be a stud.

I'd think the opposite. If the two men came in as partners, they'd have a two against one vs. Rex, and that could be a good thing.

You could be right, but two outsiders coming in as partners? I don't see it. If they hire a cap guy and he brings in a personnel guy sure, but not bringing these two together. Better to just give it to Popp and let him hire a cap guy.

come on thats silly.

The staffs/scouts do most of this and talent changes so much yearly he would be up to speed pretty fast.

Als GM admits he wants NFL job

By Herb Zurkowsky, The Gazette January 10, 2013

7803445.jpg

MONTREAL — For the second time in as many years, the Canadian Football League’s most successful general manager has been forced to deal with the disappointment of being left at the altar.

And Jim Popp isn’t masking his feelings.

“You’re damn straight, I’m disappointed,” Popp told The Gazette in an exclusive interview late Wednesday from his home in Mooresville, N.C., hours after learning he hadn’t become the GM of the National Football League’s Carolina Panthers.

“I’m definitely not happy I didn’t get it,” added Popp, the Alouettes’ GM since the franchise returned to the CFL in 1996. “It’s like being in the Super Bowl and not winning. That’s the honest truth. I’m not happy. I would like to be a general manager in the NFL. Absolutely. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be looking at these jobs.

“That being said,” he quickly added, “I have a great job. Montreal’s my second home.”

Popp interviewed with the Panthers for more than four hours on Tuesday, one of four candidates the team reportedly met before settling on David Gettleman, the New York Giants’ former director of pro personnel. Gettleman, 61, has been a part of six Super Bowl teams, including three championship clubs.

Popp, 48, has won three Grey Cups with the Als, another with the Baltimore Stallions, the franchise that transferred to Montreal.

Last January, Popp was one of four who interviewed to become GM of the Indianapolis Colts, the team ultimately deciding upon Ryan Grigson. And in May 2010, Popp spurned an opportunity to join the Washington Redskins’ personnel department.

Popp told The Gazette the Panthers weren’t the only NFL team this winter he had been approached by, stating two other teams expressed interest in him as a potential GM. Indeed, the New York Daily News reported Popp is on the New York Jets’ radar. Although the paper stated it wasn’t known whether an interview has been scheduled, a source familiar with the process told The Gazette Popp already has met with team officials.

The other team that approached Popp isn’t known. However, according to another source, it wasn’t the Cleveland Browns, who remain in the market for a GM. The Browns reportedly interviewed Montreal head coach Marc Trestman on Tuesday — one day after Trestman spent more than eight hours in Chicago, being interviewed by the Bears.

On Thursday, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported former Arizona head coach Ken Whisenhunt was being interviewed for a second time by the Browns, then late Thursday night reported the team had hired Panthers offensive coordinator (and former Browns offensive coordinator) Rob Chudzinski to be its next head coach.

It’s clear Popp’s getting more recognition in the U.S. as time passes, and it seems only a matter of time before an NFL team hires him. On Wednesday, Steve Mariucci, the former head coach of the San Francisco 49ers and Detroit Lions Tweeted: “Jim Popp GM Montreal CFL will make an excellent GM in NFL!!!! Mark my words!”

Whether that opportunity comes with the Jets, who are in the midst of meeting with an army of candidates, remains to be seen. And, if offered the job, whether Popp would accept. New York’s incoming GM will be saddled with numerous headaches. He would be forced to inherit head coach Rex Ryan, for starters, unable to hire his own candidate. Also, according to ESPN, the Jets are $19.4 million over the salary cap and must release several players.

The Panthers’ job would have been ideal for Popp, who resides 25 minutes from the team’s practice facility. He called it, potentially, an ideal position.

“It would have been almost a dream come true ... right there in my hometown,” he said. “Lots of people are qualified. You never know. When you get that chance, and have multiple chances ... if you’re one of six selected to be interviewed, it’s quite a privilege, let alone be considered.

“Ryan Grigson has done an outstanding job,” Popp added. “If I was that close to getting it and they chose Ryan ... that could have been me. The Colts did a great job. Now we’ll see how the Panthers do.”

Popp, of course, is wondering what he might have done differently the last two years to have been hired in either Indianapolis and Carolina. And, he added, with each interview, he becomes more confident with the process.

“They (the Panthers) told me I couldn’t have done anything different,” said Popp, who learned of the decision from president Danny Morrison about an hour before the team announced its hiring. “Maybe I was better than expected, but they chose somebody else. You have to accept it and move on.

“Most of those guys they’re interviewing, I have a lot more experience than they do at a number of jobs you’re asked to do. I have that experience. I’m not sure they know what to do with that.”

Popp said he can remain content in Canada, having spurned opportunities to work in the NFL in lower-ranking capacities. Of course, he added, had he taken a personnel job, he might eventually have been promoted to GM.

His plan is to return to the Als, as it is every winter. He hasn’t stopped working, planning, and scouring North America for players. But he also wants NFL owners aware of one thing: “I think I have a lot to offer a team.”

Read more: http://www.montrealg...l#ixzz2HhTCD311

come on thats silly.

The staffs/scouts do most of this and talent changes so much yearly he would be up to speed pretty fast.

If he knows how to build a good staff, that's all that matters. Look at everybody fawning over all these assistants, these player scouts or directors.. They all were supposed to be doing something, otherwise nobody would ever hire them to be a GM. A GM should be able to build a good team around him. So if he was good in Canada surrounding himself with talented assistants, he should be able to do that in the NFL. ANd lets not act like he's some guy who lives in Siberia and speaks French and never watches the NFL. He lives in NC.

The biggest difference and worry would be the busts, the media(espeically it being the jets and woody) compared to the CFL. Nobody cares but the few fans if they find some bad QB. If he drafts a guy in the first round in NY and the kid is a bust next season, he will have to know how to handle that. And not everybody can.

I think the best bet at this point is to bring in this guy, let him hire his own cap guy, and build the future. At least it's thinking 'outside the box.'

If he knows how to build a good staff, that's all that matters. Look at everybody fawning over all these assistants, these player scouts or directors.. They all were supposed to be doing something, otherwise nobody would ever hire them to be a GM. A GM should be able to build a good team around him. So if he was good in Canada surrounding himself with talented assistants, he should be able to do that in the NFL. ANd lets not act like he's some guy who lives in Siberia and speaks French and never watches the NFL. He lives in NC.

The biggest difference and worry would be the busts, the media(espeically it being the jets and woody) compared to the CFL. Nobody cares but the few fans if they find some bad QB. If he drafts a guy in the first round in NY and the kid is a bust next season, he will have to know how to handle that. And not everybody can.

I think the best bet at this point is to bring in this guy, let him hire his own cap guy, and build the future. At least it's thinking 'outside the box.'

agree pedro, good post

Popp is also the son of a coach.. (see below from his Dad's Obit.)

Coach Popp’s college and professional coaching career was equally impressive and spanned four decades. He coached at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, George Washington University, Wake Forest University and Georgia Tech during the 1960s and 1970s. He was the Defensive Coordinator at Wake Forest and Georgia Tech and coached in several bowl games. He coached in the World Football League for the Chicago Winds in the 1970s, and joined the Cleveland Browns coaching staff in the 1980s. He retired with the Browns in the early 1990s.

Archived