Jim Popp GM Speculation thread (MERGED)

CM28

Not a game.. The problem is just saying BB and the Patriots got lucky and won just because of Brady is so far from the truth it's not funny.

Au Contraire. I know a guessing game when I see it. You made it; I played it.

It was a valid point you made.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So did we interview Poop ? Or is it another ploy by the JETS illuminati to see what the fan's will say to this rumor ?

I have no clue who they are interviewing or who they are just leaking to the press. I just hope they hire a GM and it's somebody they actually liked and picked, over "damn we need a GM and it's getting late."

I have no clue who they are interviewing or who they are just leaking to the press. I just hope they hire a GM and it's somebody they actually liked and picked, over "damn we need a GM and it's getting late."

Think they interviewed him today.. they flew up to NC where he lives.

Au Contraire. I know a guessing game when I see it. You made it; I played it.

It was a valid point you made.

I do agree that finding a Brady or Manning or Rodgers or Favre suddenly makes things a heck of a lot easier. But Sanchez was supposed to be that guy. Call him a bust. It is odd how Sanchez really just gets the "he sucks" from fans and the media, whereas if the Jets picked Matt Leinart instead of DBrick years ago, everybody and their brother would've called him a bust. People still do call Leinart a bust. And he is. At least Sanchez played a few more seasons and won a couple of playoff games, but truthfully, the Jets traded up to get the kid, and he was supposed to be the QB of the future. Bad move or not, he was the franchise QB that turned out to be a bust.

Most coaches and GMs don't survive QBs who go bust. He put up some decent playoff numbers, but the guy is a career 50 percent completion kind of QB. He doesn't really have a strong arm, he doesn't seem to be a leader, and his mind is shot. Maybe they should hire

AJ Smith. He figured a way to turn around a team who drafted Ryan Leaf.

Why not AJ Smith?

I think he is way too arrogant and the Chargers have fallen apart the last few years, but the guy knew how to make trades and draft picks for awhile. Plus he fired a HOF caliber HC after a 14-2 season and succeeded as much as you can without making it to a super bowl.

Then again, I doubt he'd get along with Rex Ryan.. Who knows.

. Atleast the way the search is going and the quality of candidates that are getting interviewed it seems like the JETS want Cohen to look like the saving grace!

I think that is it entirely. The more bizarre the potential choices get, the more Cohen looks like the best way to go.

There are JETS fans who would love to have a QB with a 85 plus rating.

And Brady might have had like more than 3 seasons QBing his team. Just a guess.

Would they?

What about these numbers....

68.9 % completion, 22 TDs 6 INTs 3120 Yards passing, and a 104.2 QB Rating

That's Chad Pennington in his first full year as a starter. Many Jets fans hated Pennington because he had a noodle arm and a noodle body, but the guy could complete passes. His problem was also his mind. He'd throw a pick and the rest of the game he'd overthink. Players like Favre, Brady, both Mannings, Rodgers might throw a few picks in a game and still throw 4 TDs in the second half.

Pennington would go on to have QB ratings of 83, 91, 71, 83, 86, 97(as a Dolphins QB)...

So really the Jets did have a guy who had a high QB rating, he just never stayed healthy and he had a weak arm.

Would they?

What about these numbers....

68.9 % completion, 22 TDs 6 INTs 3120 Yards passing, and a 104.2 QB Rating

That's Chad Pennington in his first full year as a starter. Many Jets fans hated Pennington because he had a noodle arm and a noodle body, but the guy could complete passes. His problem was also his mind. He'd throw a pick and the rest of the game he'd overthink. Players like Favre, Brady, both Mannings, Rodgers might throw a few picks in a game and still throw 4 TDs in the second half.

Pennington would go on to have QB ratings of 83, 91, 71, 83, 86, 97(as a Dolphins QB)...

So really the Jets did have a guy who had a high QB rating, he just never stayed healthy and he had a weak arm.

:face:

I like the idea of adding more Poop to our illustrious team. Sweet jumpin' Jesus on an effin' pogo stick, if Poop can get a 12 yard first down with only 3 plays WTF have we been doing hiring these stronzos that need 4 downs to get a measly 10 yards. Is we, or is we not, out of our collective minds?

The 2012 Jacksonville Jaguars would roll the 2012 Montreal Alouettes by 70 points. But let's hire their GM to an NFL job.

this quote makes no sense. of course the jags shoudl be bale to crush the alouettes........the available talent is like DI vs DII. the fact that this guy popp has been able to basically put to gether the cfl's dynasty team with limited funds and avaialable talent is a testament to his ability to find and secure the best talent out of the available pool. give him a bigger and better pool and it's possible he can do the same thing.

So this laundry list of GM candidates with no NFL experience (Popp) or no experience as a GM (everyone else) is all better than Pioli or AJ Smith? Or Casserly? Or Lombardi?

Come on.

It's certainly possible. Fail to get their degree in GM training school? This is the kind of job where a new vision can be a good thing. Good instincts, tireless work and probably most importantly, a good staff are what creates success. If we hire one of these guys we should be more concerned with the staff around them and how much influence Rex and Woody will have, but there is no reason to think they will be less successful than guys that have been journalists for half a decade.

Popp might be a good executive, but i get the impression that NFL GM's are kind of a closed club. These are guys who have been dealing with each other over the phone for years. They trust each other, in terms of conditional picks and a lot of other ways.

Having a guy come in who nobody knows......

And while we sometimes get a player from up there who turns out to be good, they hired a couple of head coaches from up there with great, great records who were simply overmatched when they got to the NFL. The sheer size of the operations of the NFL clubs is so much greater than CFL clubs.

Did you actually watch him play? He fumbles just as much as Sanchez. He might not give you those butt fumbles or viral youtube videos, but there was a reason he was the third best QB for the Dolphins.

I dont like him at all for one, for two, if they can't dump Sanchez because of the contract, Moore is awful enough to where he'd lose the starting job to Sanchez next year.

The difference is Moore can suck slightly less than Sanchez at 1/10th of the price. And perhaps most important of all, once they find someone else, he can easily be sent packing without a moments hesitation. Plus, unlike Sanchez, Moore isn't completely despised by both the Jets players and fans, which counts for something.

Probably won't happen but with all the speculation I'm reading...I'm kinda leaning toward Popp as long as he brings in Trestman as OC (if not hired as HC of Bears).

ya , then trestman has to decide to leave being HC of Montreal to become OC of Jets, and possible HC of Jets in 2014;)

The difference is Moore can suck slightly less than Sanchez at 1/10th of the price. And perhaps most important of all, once they find someone else, he can easily be sent packing without a moments hesitation. Plus, unlike Sanchez, Moore isn't completely despised by both the Jets players and fans, which counts for something.

If it were that easy, I would agree with you. The biggest problem is Sanchez will still be a QB on the NY Jets next season.

Unless of course they give him away and pay most of his 8.5 Million to sit on the bench for some other team. I doubt Woody would do that. I doubt Rex Ryan would want that to happen.

That's the issue. The Jets sign more, they keep Sanchez, and in preseason, Sanchez beats out Moore for the starting job. Unless they dump Sanchez, I really don't see a point in signing Moore. He's just not a better QB. Plus if the Jets let a lot of their players go, how many players would actually be left? I have no doubt Rex could throw out the "It was the rest of the team and not Sanchez" line.

Popp would be an excellent guy to bring in as an assistant GM for a year or two to groom, then promote. Given the Jets lost year situation in 2013, he may be worth taking a chance on. He could use 2013 as a learn on the job year. I like the idea of Popp over the salary cap/contract guys by far.

Popp would be an excellent guy to bring in as an assistant GM for a year or two to groom, then promote. Given the Jets lost year situation in 2013, he may be worth taking a chance on. He could use 2013 as a learn on the job year. I like the idea of Popp over the salary cap/contract guys by far.

agree slats. the fact that 2013 is a lost year he may get the gig. Woody could see him as proven Gm CEO type who needs a tad of NFL seasoning and they can use 2013 as that learning year.

ya , then trestman has to decide to leave being HC of Montreal to become OC of Jets, and possible HC of Jets in 2014;)

agreed...have to think he'd take the OC position if not hired in Chicago as rumored...gets him back in big boys game...big risk...big reward...

Popp would be an excellent guy to bring in as an assistant GM for a year or two to groom, then promote. Given the Jets lost year situation in 2013, he may be worth taking a chance on.

Are you advocating we hire Popp as an assistant GM, or hire him as a GM and let him make his mistakes for a year since 2013 would seem to be unsalvageable already?

I think if Popp is hired not as an assistant, but as a GM, and he gets off to a bad start in the new league he might never recover, and the Jets will be looking for a new GM again. I think Popp is going to need a year or two to adjust to the sheer size of an NFL operation as opposed to a CFL operation, and that is best done in a subordinate role-the head role will derail him.

agreed...have to think he'd take the OC position if not hired in Chicago as rumored...gets him back in big boys game...big risk...big reward...

agree, but I am old enough to know that odd stuff happens.

Trestman getting up there and for all we know he may have decided its HC or nothing anymore. No idea..

The Jets would certainly be a decent gamble for him though as I assume it would be 90% certainty that Popp would can rex if Jets faltered in 2013 and promote 'his guy' Trestman.

This may be Popps thinking and in reality SHOULD have been Caldwell,Tedesco etc thinking as well.

Free pass in 2013 (1st year, cap hell), then fire Rex after season, bring in my guy and sort of buy yourself another mini Free Pass season .

Still would need a groomer...none currently available with Jets...unless Bradway...yuck...nvm...just too incestuous...doubt he'd come for an assistant job either way...he's been a finalist before...he'll get more opportunities...if he does come here he will need a capologist...funny how the area where Tanny had background is where his team did the worse...too many high dollar contracts tied to too few players...too many re-do contracts to allow additional moves...almost like he was too clever by half...trusting his ability to work a new contract over drafting a younger, cheaper but less experienced players.

Still would need a groomer...none currently available with Jets...unless Bradway...yuck...nvm...just too incestuous...doubt he'd come for an assistant job either way...he's been a finalist before...he'll get more opportunities...if he does come here he will need a capologist...funny how the area where Tanny had background is where his team did the worse...too many high dollar contracts tied to too few players...too many re-do contracts to allow additional moves...almost like he was too clever by half...trusting his ability to work a new contract over drafting a younger, cheaper but less experienced players.

If they think he is long term GM CEO type who gives a shiit if he 'has a learning curve' in 2013. I would rather look to future rather than pass upa potential good fit cause he doesnt know all teh NFL personell yet. Damn, personell changes dramatically year to year anyways.

Are you advocating we hire Popp as an assistant GM, or hire him as a GM and let him make his mistakes for a year since 2013 would seem to be unsalvageable already?

I think if Popp is hired not as an assistant, but as a GM, and he gets off to a bad start in the new league he might never recover, and the Jets will be looking for a new GM again. I think Popp is going to need a year or two to adjust to the sheer size of an NFL operation as opposed to a CFL operation, and that is best done in a subordinate role-the head role will derail him.

If he was an assistant now, he'd be Cohen, right? A guy no fan really wants because the Tannenbaum stink is all over him.

I'd lean towards giving him the job. I don't know what he's getting paid in Canada, if the Jets can offer him a big pay raise to be the assistant to a guy like Khan, maybe you try going that route. But he's been successful in the big chair in a smaller pond for a long time, he may not be open to taking a second banana role.

In his interview, I'd want to hear about the staff he feels he could put together. Hs going to need some help on the NFL level, and I definitely prefer that not be Bradway.

Archived