Offensive Coordinator Talk (MERGED)

jets22

Jim Popp, the general manager of the CFL's Montreal Alouettes, is still in the mix for the Jets GM job, according to the Montreal Gazette. Also, don't count out Dolphins assistant GM Brain Gaine, who interviewed with the team last week, just yet.

In theory, I prefer either of these guys to Cohen, Khan, Angelo, or Sundquist.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I missed it but what are the thoughts on Morhinweg here?

Scares me. Makes me wonder if they'll go after Vick, whom I see as nothing more than Circus 2.0 for us. Another back page grab, rather than a long term solution.

I really wanted Gamble... but then you have to wonder he's been in the league doing what he does for about 25 years right? Never gotten a shot at GM before? Might be a very good reason why he fell off the radar for us, and other teams that clearly wanted to get him into interviews early.

“I think before, maybe I misjudged the thing about I just want to ground-and-pound, that type of mentality,” Ryan said. “Maybe I bought into that more than maybe I should have. Maybe I needed to be more open-minded and look at things a little bit differently, but we have to have it.”

Head coach distracts self with catchphrase, sits on franchise, breaks it. At least it's novel.

My mudda said "that Jimmy Popp's got good hair, you can trust him. Trust anyone with good hair, Chippa."

I don't hate him as a GM candidate.

I want Mornhinweg at OC no matter who the HC is.

Jets will not hire Cam Cameron as offensive coordinator

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 17, 2013, 12:21 AM EST

cam-cameron.jpg?w=250

AP

The New York Jets have one less name to consider for their vacant offensive coordinator position.

According to Kimberley A. Martin of Newsday, the Jets will not hire former Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron as the replacement for the fired Tony Sparano.

Cameron was fired by the Ravens in December after two straight losses despite Baltimore starting the season with a 9-2 record.

Former Cleveland Browns head coach Pat Shurmur, former Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, Stanford offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton and Cincinnati Bengals assistant Hue Jackson are all still in the mix for the job.

Jets will not hire Cam Cameron as offensive coordinator

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 17, 2013, 12:21 AM EST

cam-cameron.jpg?w=250

AP

The New York Jets have one less name to consider for their vacant offensive coordinator position.

According to Kimberley A. Martin of Newsday, the Jets will not hire former Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron as the replacement for the fired Tony Sparano.

Cameron was fired by the Ravens in December after two straight losses despite Baltimore starting the season with a 9-2 record.

Former Cleveland Browns head coach Pat Shurmur, former Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, Stanford offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton and Cincinnati Bengals assistant Hue Jackson are all still in the mix for the job.

That's one less firing next year!

I like this interview candidate a lot; obviously Payton has done the majority of play calling over the last handful of years, minus the most recent, but the word from saints' fans is that Lomardi has a lot of input in the offensive meetings and it's only a matter of time before he becomes an OC/HC somewhere. The article mentioned Southern Miss, but I know there's been some rumors of him getting some OC looks at some big SEC programs the last few years. Whatever happens in the next couple weeks with hirings, it's pretty clear that this FO and staff is looking to completely redesign, and for the better, how this team operates.

The Jets interviewed Saints quarterbacks coach Joe Lombardi for their offensive coordinator vacancy on Wednesday.

Lombardi also interviewed for the head-coaching job at Southern Miss "a few weeks ago." He's been on the Saints' staff since 2007, coaching quarterbacks for the past four seasons. Joe is the grandson of Vince Lombardi.

Related: Saints

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

Jan 18 - 2:16 P

Conor Orr@ConorTOrr

Per @RichCimini #Saints QB coach Joe Lombardi talked w/ #jets for OC job. Was on our original list of candidates: http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/01/jets_offensive_coordinator_can.html …

NFL: AroundTheLeague@NFL_ATL

Report: Pat Shurmur to interview with New York Jets. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000128082/article/pat-shurmur-reportedly-to-interview-with-new-york-jets?campaign=Twitter_atl …

Conor Orr@ConorTOrr

Per @RichCimini #Saints QB coach Joe Lombardi talked w/ #jets for OC job. Was on our original list of candidates: http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/01/jets_offensive_coordinator_can.html …

NFL: AroundTheLeague@NFL_ATL

Report: Pat Shurmur to interview with New York Jets. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000128082/article/pat-shurmur-reportedly-to-interview-with-new-york-jets?campaign=Twitter_atl …

I swear to christ it takes me tenfold longer to read a single sentence when it's on Twitter. To hell with all those damned hashtags and at symbols.

Source: Jets interview Pat Shurmur for offensive coordinator job on Friday

BY MANISH MEHTA

Rex Ryan’s search for a new playcaller to breathe life into an unimaginative offensive added another name to the list. The Daily News reported on Friday that Pat Shurmur, who was recently fired as the Browns head coach, interviewed for the Jets’ offensive coordinator job.

Shurmur’s offense in Cleveland ranked in the bottom third of the league in each of the past two seasons thanks, in part, to a dearth of talent. He spent a decade with an Eagles assistant before taking over as the Rams’ offensive coordinator in 2009.

Saints quarterbacks coach Joe Lombardi, the grandson of Hall of Famer Vince Lombardi, interviewed for the job earlier in the week, according to a league source.

Ryan said at his season-ending press conference that he wanted to find a creative play caller with an attacking mindset to replace the fired Tony Sparano, whose offense sputtered this season. The Jets have interviewed at least five candidates, including former Eagles’ offensive coordinator Marty Mornhenwig, former Ravens’ play caller Cam Cameron and Stanford’s Pep Hamilton.

Hamilton, who coached Andrew Luck in college, was reportedly hired to be the Colts’ offensive coordinator on Friday

Archived