Offensive Coordinator Talk (MERGED)

jets22

Fire by the Jags, so whats the thought on taking a look at this guy as O coordinator?

Per Wikipedia: ( Take it for what its worth )

Mularkey was hired as the Pittsburgh Steelers tight ends coach in 1996 and held the position until the conclusion of the 2000 season, when he replaced Kevin Gilbride as the team's offensive coordinator. He has a reputation for being an offense-oriented head coach with a penchant for trick plays. His skill for creating special packages to utilize multi-dimensional players such as Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El earned him the nickname "Inspector Gadget".[3] Even with his creative imagination, his philosophy of being the most physical punishing offense helped the Steelers average 10+ wins a year during his 3 years as offensive coordinator.

- kinda sounds like the attacking offense BS that Rex was throwing around at the Press conference.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this guy is hired, and he might be, there is a fair chance Tebow will be here again next year.

Jax has no more intrest in him since Mularkey was fired

Mularky was one of the reasons Tebow chose us. They said they didn't want him, Rex and Tanny pretended like he might play.

Pacific

(Wide Receivers Coach)

(Special Teams Coach)

Pacific

(Running Backs Coach)

(Special Teams Coach)

Cal State Fullerton

(Running Backs Coach)

(Special Teams Coach)

London Monarchs (WLAF)

(Running Backs Coach)

(Wide Receivers Coach)

(Special Teams Coach)

Arizona State

(Running Backs Coach)

Arizona State

(Quarterbacks Coach)

California

(Offensive Coordinator)

(Quarterbacks Coach)

USC

(Offensive Coordinator)

(Quarterbacks Coach)

USC

(Offensive Coordinator)

(Running Backs Coach)

USC

(Offensive Coordinator)

(Quarterbacks Coach)

Washington Redskins

(Running Backs Coach)

Washington Redskins

(Offensive Coordinator)

Cincinnati Bengals

(Wide Receivers Coach)

Atlanta Falcons

(Offensive Coordinator)

Baltimore Ravens

(Quarterbacks Coach)

Oakland Raiders

(Offensive Coordinator)

Oakland Raiders

(Head Coach)

Cincinnati Bengals

(Secondary Coach)

(Assistant Special Teams Coach)

He has extensive experience working with runningbacks, wide-recievers, quarterbacks, and special teams.

hmmm...

Manish is reporting he is/has interviewed for the OC job vacancy with the Jets Today/Friday.

Whats everyone's thoughts here? I would like him as a QB coach, but a play caller I'm not so sure. I remember earlier this season with a 4-6 point lead over the Lions with a little over 2 minutes to go in the game, and the Lions having only 1 time out left he called 3 straight passing plays, all which were incomplete, Lions got the ball back not using any time outs, and before the 2 minute warning, they then scored the game winning TD with about 3 seconds left to play.

I Know Rex wants to get a aggresive passing offense, that is great, but lets not over react, and also get stupid here, if Rex actually paid attention to the playcalls, and would Veto stupid late game play calls like that fine, but he probably doesn't know what plays we are calling until they unfold just like me, and you.

Well I can tell you this the fact that the Jets are going to hire their complete coaching staff before filling the GM position speaks volumes about how much power Rex has, and after this next season I will be done giving him a pass, and I don't mean wins, and losses, I mean personnel decisions, coaching philosphy, and locker room antics. IF they go 12-4, and the team is still a circus inside, I would call for his head, but if they go 4-12 things seem to be growing with the younger players, the team starts running like a normal professional NFL franchise, but the talent just wasn't there because of the salary cap, he can come back another year, and IMO forever as long as the team keeps conducting business the right way.

I would prefer the SF QB coach as O-Coordinator, but I don't see him coming because it seems Roman will be getting a HC job, and he will be promoted to OC of the 49ers.

After that I can be ok with Jackson, wouldn't be upset, or happy just OK, but I would prefer the Jets going the outside the box new innovative thinking type of OC, someone who has the creativity to create several different offensive schemes, all of which are ever changing dependent on the personnel he has, like the Patriots have done over the last 10+ years, and the way Darrelle Bevell has done this season in Seattle for examples.

when u have two very different locales, NY vs carolina the Mrs usually gets involved.

I can get a mansion in NC and never see snow etc etc ;)

I just moved from the midwest back to Southern California, where I pay for the sunshine to get 50% of my sq ft.

so I hear ya!!

Tracking Hue's coaching decisions (if that will help....and it doesn't):

-Glendale (Southern California)

-Fullerton (Southen California)

-London (is that the London I'm thinking it is?)

-Arizona

-Berkeley (Northern California)

-USC (Southern California...by definition)

-Redksins (DC/Virginia area)

-Cincinatti

-Atlanta

-Baltimore

-Oakland (Central California)

-Cincinatti

I would say that location might be a secondary factor in his decision making.

How much of the offense did he really control with Reid there?

He was Steve Young's QB coach, and O coordinator for a year, or 2, and is the reason Garcia ever made anything of himself in this league. Not to mention the QB coach for the Packers in the late 90's. I think he knows QB's, and can develop them VERY WELL, BUT his decision making is really really bad.

He was Steve Young's QB coach, and O coordinator for a year, or 2, and is the reason Garcia ever made anything of himself in this league. Not to mention the QB coach for the Packers in the late 90's. I think he knows QB's, and can develop them VERY WELL, BUT his decision making is really really bad.

Maybe Steve Young will come out of retirement to play for him.

I would prefer the SF QB coach as O-Coordinator, but I don't see him coming because it seems Roman will be getting a HC job, and he will be promoted to OC of the 49ers.

After that I can be ok with Jackson, wouldn't be upset, or happy just OK, but I would prefer the Jets going the outside the box new innovative thinking type of OC, someone who has the creativity to create several different offensive schemes, all of which are ever changing dependent on the personnel he has, like the Patriots have done over the last 10+ years, and the way Darrelle Bevell has done this season in Seattle for examples.

Well, compared to Sparano, Jackson is Mike Martz. That is how Rex will view it, anyway. Anything is better then the Bronco Nagurski offense he fielded last year. Without a Bronco Nagurski.

Steve Young? By the time he coached Steve Young, Young was what, 37 or 38 years old. I wouldn't say he helped 'develop Steve Young.

And Jeff Garcia became a decent QB when he was the HC in Detroit. So not sure how he made Young or Garcia better.

I'm not sold on this guy as the Eagles have been one of the most overhyped teams the past few seasons. So he was the OC of the Eagles when McNabb became bad and was dumped, Kolb leaves, Vick stinks, and the new kid isn't any good. How is that developing QBs?

The Eagles had some talented players on both sides of the ball the past few seasons and the Offense stunk no matter who was QB.

VIck became a turnover machine. Just what we need, an OC who makes Sanchez or somebody else worse than they already are.

Archived