Jaguars New GM On Tebow: No Thanks

CrazyCarl40

SportsCenter@SportsCenter

Jaguars GM David Caldwell on Tim Tebow: "I can't imagine a scenario where he'd be a Jacksonville Jaguar."

Expand Collapse

Ed Werder@Edwerderespn

Jaguars GM David Caldwell saying he can't envision Tim Tebow there is strong indication he resolved that with ownership before taking job

Expand Collapse

Rotoworld Football@Rotoworld_FB

Jags GM: Can't imagine Tebow in Jacksonville http://dlvr.it/2mqng5

Expand Collapse

I actually watched the press conference. When Caldwell was asked about Tebow he said something to the effect of, "Tim is currently a New York Jet, we have no intention of pursuing him" **stunned media pause**. Someone asked him to repeat himself, so he said, "We have no intention of pursuing him" **another stunned media pause**. Then a lady yelled out from the back, "At this time?!" to which he replied, "Correct, at this time".

The whole affair came off as nervous, similar to when he was asked about Greg Roman of the Niners...he was fumbling for the correct pc response to abstain from tampering violations.

Tebow to Jacksonville is strictly a Kahn-seat-filler-motif and I believe it will still happen.

He would bring too much revenue to Jacksonville for them to decline him a backup roster spot, especially at a hometown discount.

The Problem the Jags have is Tebow is a local hero. They have stunk for years. This years QBs in the draft are not 'can't miss studs.'

And the Jags have a fan problem. As in people don't show up, games blacked out, no media gives a crap about them. Like it or now, owners need attention. They need to make money. So either they are planning to move and this is the way to go or this GM gets fired if he makes a few bad decisions. Or just average decisions that don't result in the Jags winning.

A jags team that finished 5-11 but nobody shows up isn't a good thing for the new GM. Especially if its the same bad QB situation they've had since Brunell left years ago. And he wasn't ever a guy anybody ever went to games to go see either.

Tebow and the Jags really are a fit made in heaven. Even if he stinks and the Jags stink, fans would show up just because it's Tebow. Media would show up because it's Tebow. The owner is happy. GM gets a few more years to find a real QB and rebuild. If they don't get a stud QB of the future in the draft, who is actually going to show up to these games? A losing team and nobody showing up isn't something any GM would ever want to fall into. Especially with a guy like Tebow out there. As bad as he is as a QB, he will bring the fans and circus. At least for a year or two until everybody realizes he just cant' play. But there are still plenty Skip Bayless's out there and plenty of fans who love the guy.

In the end it is a business. And the Jags have been a non factor, even when they had a few successful seasons.

If Tanny were still here I could envision a 1st round draft pick swap.

Jets get 2nd overall pick

Jags get Tebow, 9th overall pick...and 2 others...smh

...aaaand we'd probably draft Jarvis Jones who busts out like Aaron Maybin, except we spent 4 picks to get him and set our franchise back another 30 years.

SportsCenter@SportsCenter

Jaguars GM David Caldwell on Tim Tebow: "I can't imagine a scenario where he'd be a Jacksonville Jaguar."

Expand Collapse

Ed Werder@Edwerderespn

Jaguars GM David Caldwell saying he can't envision Tim Tebow there is strong indication he resolved that with ownership before taking job

Expand Collapse

Rotoworld Football@Rotoworld_FB

Jags GM: Can't imagine Tebow in Jacksonville http://dlvr.it/2mqng5

Expand Collapse

HAHA!

He needs to convert to a fullback or H Back to continue his career

I don't think he'd be anything special in either of those roles. Why would Tebow be better than an UDFA FB? You know, a guy who at least played the position for a couple years in school. Usually you look to convert fast QBs, I just don't see what skills or abilities Tebow brings to the table that would make a team want to invest the time in converting him into anything.

Tebow will probably find out what his value in the NFL is soon, and will hear from teams how they want to use him. If he doesn't like what he's hearing, I think the guy should suck it up and give the CFL a try. I think he could be successful there, and maybe hone his skills for a return to the NFL as a QB in a few years.

I don't think he'd be anything special in either of those roles. Why would Tebow be better than an UDFA FB? You know, a guy who at least played the position for a couple years in school. Usually you look to convert fast QBs, I just don't see what skills or abilities Tebow brings to the table that would make a team want to invest the time in converting him into anything.

Tebow will probably find out what his value in the NFL is soon, and will hear from teams how they want to use him. If he doesn't like what he's hearing, I think the guy should suck it up and give the CFL a try. I think he could be successful there, and maybe hone his skills for a return to the NFL as a QB in a few years.

I agree with the assessment except for the CFL. He should focus on second string jobs or punt protector and give up the lime light. He might even want to sit out a year if the Jets waive him to let the media cool off.

I also think Caldwell made the only choice he could, it would not have mattered even if he liked Tebow. Too much risk for a young man at the beginning of his GM career. Have to respect Caldwell for putting his career above Tebow and even the Jaguars job.

Archived