Mike Westhoff Rips Jets Over Tebow (MERGED)

JOJOTOWNSELL

Yes he said before the year he was leaving-his unit was bad this year but he made some telling comments on lack of leadership and guidance coming from the top. And for the Sanchez haters he said it he needs great support to succeed.

With the New York Jets coming off a terrible 6-10 season there is plenty of blame to go around just make sure not to mention “retired” special teams coach Mike Westhoff as one of the culprits for the poor record.

Westhoff appeared on Miami sports radio station 560 WQAM and proceeded to rip every facet of the Jets organization but himself of course.  “Our defense played pretty well, there’s part of our defense and against certain people that there are some weaknesses, people know that,” Westhoff said.  “We as a kicking team led the league in tackles inside the twenty, we led the league, so people started back in the hole most of the time.  When our defense plays on a long field they are a little suspect in the middle … people moved the ball up to mid-field on us … then we would hold people then they would punt to us and Mark Sanchez would come out on the ten yard-line.”

So basically Westhoff’s special teams unit was the reason the Jets defense ranked 8th (yards allowed) in the league?  He went on to say the defense was overrated, “I want to stop teams in the top ten not the bottom five please so you can take it however you want.”  Find this statement interesting, the Jets had the 30thranked offense, a minus 14 turnover ratio, played virtually the same schedule as the Bills (22), Dolphins (21) and Patriots (25) yet these teams had worse ranked defenses, but the Jets succeeded only against inferior competition.

While Westhoff seems to be taking credit for winning the field position battle with his kickoff return coverage unit the Jets had 69 kickoffs all year, only the Chiefs (58), Cardinals (64) and Rams (68) had fewer.  Strange how the New England Patriots had 112 kickoffs during the year yet had a better return average allowed (20.5 YRDS) then the Jets (21.9 YRDS).  Guess when the Patriots Devin McCourty was returning a kickoff 104 yards for a touchdown after the Jets took a short lived 7-0 lead that was winning the field position battle?

The punt return unit would seem to have more to do with field position but how many times did we witness Jeremy Kerley fair catching a punt inside the 5 yard line?  In fact Kerley led the league in fair catches with 36 and only had 19 returns for 208 yards.  Maybe with better coaching the Jets start more from the 20 instead of inside because of a fair catch which should not have been made?

Westhoff discussed Miami Dolphins punter Brandon Fields ability to avoid the Jets attempt at a punt block, “In our first game down there we came dead clean on him (Fields) in the end zone to block it … he just got it and kicked it lightning fast.”  It was Jets punter Robert Malone’s fault when the Dolphins blocked a punt which resulted in a touchdown according to Westhoff,  “You guys (Dolphins) came against us now what was different is our guy took a little longer, like you could smoke a cigar in that time.”  Wonder if place kicker Nick Folk was busy puffing away when he had a league leading three field goals block during the season?

The former Jets coach goes on to blame the organizations team building strategies which left him void of talent, “If you don’t budget your team well you can destroy the middle and bottom of your football team … and that’s kind of what happened to us … When you’re paying a handful of your guys 40% of your salary cap what are you going to do with the rest of them?”  This is true about the Jets being very top heavy salary wise but was it the players who allowed the Dolphins to recover a surprise onside kick against the Jets or poor coaching explaining to the team not to drop back until the ball is kicked?

Westhoff has had a distinguished career as a coach and you could blame the talent at times for problems on the field but coaches have to accept some responsibility.  Jets fan are not upset Tony Sparano won’t be running the offense next year and while he wasn’t given the most talented players he was held responsible for results on the field.

Obviously Westhoff is looking to make excuses and distance himself from this past season to possibly coach somewhere else but he did say, “I don’t see myself as this NFL know it all,” well sure doesn’t sound like it.

How the F did you come to this conclusions from this article? lmfao

All year we heard Tebow just wasn't good in practice. Other media like the Skip's of the world said Tebow isn't a practice kind of guy, more a does it in the game. The article didn't say much, but it kind of was obvious that the Jets barely used Tebow in games or in practice. So they brought him here and Rex and Tebow refused to ever use the kid. Suck or not, he wasn't used.

Just re-read the Westhoff coments. There is a lot there. The Tannenbaum remark about paying 40% of your salary cap to a handful of guys. That kind of thins the money available for ST personnel. It sounds to me like he has not been happy for a few years. He announced his retirement before the season and now the article says he will listen to offers. The coaching staff was totally dishonest about Tebow from Day One. That is confirmed. He did not even seem to think highly of Rex's defense. I was surprised he was defensive of Sanchez. But all he really said was that Sanchez was manageable. Not very encouraging evaluation there. Very refreshing. I don't see any sour grapes here. The way I read it he is fed up with Tanny and Rex. if both were gone he would probably stick around. Don't forget that Rex inherited him from the previous administration.

Just re-read the Westhoff coments. There is a lot there. The Tannenbaum remark about paying 40% of your salary cap to a handful of guys. That kind of thins the money available for ST personnel. It sounds to me like he has not been happy for a few years. He announced his retirement before the season and now the article says he will listen to offers. The coaching staff was totally dishonest about Tebow from Day One. That is confirmed. He did not even seem to think highly of Rex's defense. I was surprised he was defensive of Sanchez. But all he really said was that Sanchez was manageable. Not very encouraging evaluation there. Very refreshing. I don't see any sour grapes here. The way I read it he is fed up with Tanny and Rex. if both were gone he would probably stick around. Don't forget that Rex inherited him from the previous administration.

Should have promoted Westhoff to head coach.

Special teams did have one of its worst seasons. I think Westhoff was burnt out, and its a good time for him to leave.

Burnt out, or disinterested. Mike's a no-nonsense guy on a team surrounded by nonsense and by people not doing their jobs.

I love it! Whether it's from the good guys like Westoff, LT, and D. Woody or the bad eggs like Plex, Edwards, Rhodes...everybody has something bad to say about the organization when they leave it. And then think about how bad Cotchery wanted out to be a back up in Pitt.

This team/organization/ownership is complete and total trash.

Woody did it, LT did it, now Mike is doing it.

So based on the information available, the pattern you're discerning here is that high-profile retired Jets bash the organization because all of them--just purely coincidentally--happen to be self-aggrandizing publicity hounds?

Props for commitment to a bit, I suppose.

Always good when one of your coordinators has no idea what the overall plan is. That speaks to good leadership from the head coach. Really coherent system they have in place there.

i agree......westhoff coming out and sh*tting on our gameplans and system speaks volumes about what has happened

I don't think it was PR. It was a guy who retired, wasn't happy with the situation the past couple of seasons, wasn't happy with the other coaches, and let out some steam. I mean like Rex or not, nobody in the NFL was hiring him as a HC. The Jets did. Even the Ravens, whom he was the DC for years, went with a guy who essentially was a Special Teams coach except for one season as a linebackers coach. That says something beyond anything people say or admit. The Ravens picked an Eagles coach who spent 8 out of 9 years as a Special Teams coordinator over their DC who was known as a defensive guru.

A lot of owners don't like Rex or Rob or their father Buddy because of their personalities. Plus Buddy & Rex always seemed to live in that space of "I'm a defensive guru and I don't give a crap what the offense does." I'm sure Rob will to, it's just nobody has given him a chance to be a HC. When you're a DC, great, but as a HC, it never goes well. It didn't work for Buddy and it didn't work for Rex. That's the problem.

Everybody likes to say if Rex got fired tomorrow, somebody else would hire him the next day. That could happen. It could also be a situation where no other owner wants to deal with him. Again, teams weren't exactly knocking on Rex's door to be a HC, even after he had a very successful run as a DC. When a team hires a special teams coach over their own DC, that's really all you need to know.

And go back 30 years or so. Buddy came into Philly with that same brash attitude. Turn the team around. Was a winner. But could care less about the offense. Never won a playoff game. Rex came into NY and ran his mouth. Actually won 4 playoff games, but again, didn't give a crap about offense, and he wasn't fired because Woody has a hard on for the guy. Everybody else Rex brought on has been fired. Rex needs to learn from his father's mistakes, his own mistakes. Will he? Who knows. I think he can be a good HC in the NFL if he at least hired a good OC and let them do their thing. And listen to them.

So... We got a ST coach promoted from within by Woody/Rex, DC promoted from within by Woody/Rex, every day more qualified OCs coming off the board... Remind me why any qualified GM would touch this stink with a ten footer?

Heard a lot of what he said to Francesa.

Bottom line he didn't like waht he saw this season but he still like Wrecks personally and thinks he can succeed.

DOn;t fault him at all for spilling his guts. He would be a natural for a seat on NFLN or ESPN or regular radio spot. He's sharp, well-spoken and not bland. If Merrill Hogue, Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders can cash checks, fair to say Westhoff would be a major improvement over any of them.

I love it! Whether it's from the good guys like Westoff, LT, and D. Woody or the bad eggs like Plex, Edwards, Rhodes...everybody has something bad to say about the organization when they leave it. And then think about how bad Cotchery wanted out to be a back up in Pitt.

This team/organization/ownership is complete and total trash.

Its Tattoo.

Hes created and environment where every joker can say whatever they want.

I think the interview is testimony that tebow is not as bad as the detractors think and not as good as the Tebow fans hope. If Tebows career is over it is mostly a result of the "media circus" of which Tebow is guilty of playing a part. Intellectually there is no reason he can't be a backup to a R Wilson, a Big Ben or an RGIII.

The interview points the finger at the organization. It doesn't look good for the Jets, not with Woody an Rex still standing.

He spoke a level headed truth, something we haven't heard all year. That in itself is significant.

The other stat we have to remember - the Jets offense had the most three-and-outs per drive than any other team in the NFL (actually, I think the Rams were last and the Jets seond to last. sorry.) Doesn't matter how well your ST play or D is, when the offense moves backwards, doesn't move at all or turns the ball over, such as the Jets constantly did, your team is gonna suck. It was time to clean house. Sorry that West is retiring. He was a damn good coach.

The other stat we have to remember - the Jets offense had the most three-and-outs per drive than any other team in the NFL (actually, I think the Rams were last and the Jets seond to last. sorry.) Doesn't matter how well your ST play or D is, when the offense moves backwards, doesn't move at all or turns the ball over, such as the Jets constantly did, your team is gonna suck. It was time to clean house. Sorry that West is retiring. He was a damn good coach.

Yep on that!

Archived