Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LAD_Brooklyn

Cap Management (NYJETSCAP)

12 posts in this topic

Great analysis!

The only justification for the Sanchez deal is that they wanted to boost his confidence after bringing in Tebow. If he had a great season, we wouldn't be talking About the contract. But it doesn't make any logical sense beyond that.

Nyjetscap.com is a fantastic site. Encourage everyone to read it

I think most of my readers know that I really love this salary cap stuff and try to take a much more analytical approach than just spewing out some numbers (though I do that too) with no context.

Hi, who are you? You have 13 posts here, I don't know if you have a number of regular readers here just yet. :)

I agree with you that the Jets seem to've set themselves up for a relatively clean slate in 2014, but I don't think that exonerates them for a number of those bad contracts. They knew what they had in Sanchez, Holmes, and Harris - or should've.

I also think the fact that the Jets spent a higher percentage on their starters is symptomatic of a GM who's unable to identify talent. He was only capable of outbidding for players who may or may not've been worth the bidding wars they were in. A quality GM finds starters throughout the draft, and they become your low-cost value guys for a number of years. Under Tannenbaum, the Jets had practically none of those guys.

Hi, who are you? You have 13 posts here, I don't know if you have a number of regular readers here just yet. :)

I agree with you that the Jets seem to've set themselves up for a relatively clean slate in 2014, but I don't think that exonerates them for a number of those bad contracts. They knew what they had in Sanchez, Holmes, and Harris - or should've.

I also think the fact that the Jets spent a higher percentage on their starters is symptomatic of a GM who's unable to identify talent. He was only capable of outbidding for players who may or may not've been worth the bidding wars they were in. A quality GM finds starters throughout the draft, and they become your low-cost value guys for a number of years. Under Tannenbaum, the Jets had practically none of those guys.

I think he meant readers of his very nice website, not here at JN :)

I think he meant readers of his very nice website, not here at JN :)

Well, we're all familiar with Jason, just thought he might like to introduce himself. :)

Great analysis!

The only justification for the Sanchez deal is that they wanted to boost his confidence after bringing in Tebow. If he had a great season, we wouldn't be talking About the contract. But it doesn't make any logical sense beyond that.

Bingo. It was an emotional decision which is why it doesn't make sense if you look at the history of Jet signings. Also the rumors flying around that the Jets were looking at Manning contributed to that emotional decision.

Nice analysis... thanks for posting...

Great analysis!

Bingo. It was an emotional decision which is why it doesn't make sense if you look at the history of Jet signings. Also the rumors flying around that the Jets were looking at Manning contributed to that emotional decision.

This.

the Sanchez deal was Tanny knowing he was gonna get fired if Sanchez stunk so he doubled down to make short term cap room. It's a smart bet from Tanny's perspective because not extending Mark still gets him fired. there's literally no downside to that decision, to that general manager at that point in his career.

If Mark is terrible in 2012 no one says "thank the heavens Tanny's doing such a good job with the cap"

Edited by bitonti

Well, we're all familiar with Jason, just thought he might like to introduce himself. :)

Jason posts here under the name jason. OP is just sharing an article currently up on jason's website

GM = cap mgmt + talent evaluation + talent acquisition

Tannenbaum may have done a decent job structuring a handful of contracts but he completely failed on the evaluation side of things. Holmes, Sanchez, and Harris contracts are killing this team - not even just the cap but the fact that the Jets can't just cut these players cold turkey.