Is there a realistic path to 10 wins in 2013?

T0mShane

As bleak as things look right now, is there any way (short of stealing the rights to Aaron Rodgers) that this Jets team can get to ten wins? As of right now, it's Rex and Sanchez and pray for the healthy return of Darrelle Revis.

Maybe if they get the killer pass rusher in the draft, and Matt Moore meshes with the OC-to-be-named-later, and if the new DC is a savant, etc etc... What would have to happen between now and next August for us to compete?

Or, as seems to be the common wisdom, are the 2013 Jets already doomed?

I hope new GM, whoever he may be, comes in taking the long view. If he does, 10 wins next season comes as a result of a hungry young roster and quite a bit of luck - but it probably doesn't come at all.

As bleak as things look right now, is there any way (short of stealing the rights to Aaron Rodgers) that this Jets team can get to ten wins? As of right now, it's Rex and Sanchez and pray for the healthy return of Darrelle Revis.

Maybe if they get the killer pass rusher in the draft, and Matt Moore meshes with the OC-to-be-named-later, and if the new DC is a savant, etc etc... What would have to happen between now and next August for us to compete?

Yes, there is a path to 10 wins - the key for Rex & Jets is to get back to the formula that made them successful on '09 & '10.

1 - Rebuild the OL - I don't care what stats bitonti throws out, this line sucked. Use the first 2 draft picks on OG, RT. I would target Warmack from Alabama who is an absolute beast.

2 - The defense improves next season. Revis is back, Scott, Pace, Thomas, and E Smith are gone. Time for Rex to earn his money with new faces but the defense needs to improve.

3 - Stop turning the ball over (especially in the red zone) - this one is simple. most likely that means Sanchez needs to sit on the bench but without that much offensive firepower the Jets cannot afford to turn it over 2-3 times / game.

4 - 2 words, game manager. I don't care if it's A Smith, Matt Moore, McElroy, etc... Basically, anyone but Sanchez and preferably someone who has a little mobility.

Great OL + good defense + game manager = 10 wins.

That formula may not win the super bowl next year but 10 wins is certainly realistic.

Definitely. There is definitely such a path.

Sanchez' stats were BRUTAL last year and we lost our 2 biggest impact players in Revis and Holmes. If you think about it, it's amazing we can win 6 with Sanchez playing as bad as he did. If we were healthy and had even a mediocre QB like Matt Flynn or Matt Moore, we probably would have won 9 last season anyway. Just remember how bad Sanchez was, there were at least 3 games that he lost for us single-handedly.

Can't it be both? I mean, you have to be talking about a pretty severely talent deficient team to say that ten wins isn't even a realistic possibility. At the same time, we're screwed for the foreseeable future because the organization is just a total debacle.

They could move to the CFL and almost be dominent if they could get a competant QB.

Yes, there is a path to 10 wins - the key for Rex & Jets is to get back to the formula that made them successful on '09 & '10.

1 - Rebuild the OL - I don't care what stats bitonti throws out, this line sucked. Use the first 2 draft picks on OG, RT. I would target Warmack from Alabama who is an absolute beast.

2 - The defense improves next season. Revis is back, Scott, Pace, Thomas, and E Smith are gone. Time for Rex to earn his money with new faces but the defense needs to improve.

3 - Stop turning the ball over (especially in the red zone) - this one is simple. most likely that means Sanchez needs to sit on the bench but without that much offensive firepower the Jets cannot afford to turn it over 2-3 times / game.

4 - 2 words, game manager. I don't care if it's A Smith, Matt Moore, McElroy, etc... Basically, anyone but Sanchez and preferably someone who has a little mobility.

That formula may not win the super bowl next year but 10 wins is certainly realistic.

Too many holes. Remember when they coded al the plays by color for Sanchez so he would know which were the one he had to be most careful about. It actually worked for a year. The plan could not keep him from fumbling, ever, but it worked for the rest of that year. He just kept geting worse and worse. Your plan sounds feasible, but we can never compile all the talent that needs replacing in an offseason, unless we trade some chips for multiple picks.

1 - Rebuild the OL - I don't care what stats bitonti throws out, this line sucked.

PFF has the Jets as their 5th rated OL in the league. It's not just me saying the line is good. By the way preprare yourself for the Jets RFA tendering Austin Howard. on a team with only 10 starters under contract, that's a cheap way for an 11th. Whoever the next GM is gonna do it. So just be ready.

Agree with all of this, but the cap is going to ensure very few returning vets in 3013

Also, agree most that Bitonti is out of mind when he defends this oline. He's going full ghoulston on that one.

The #9 overall pick is way too early to draft either a guard or a RT, especially in a draft that's supposed to be rich in pass rushers - a much bigger need than OL. There's also no guarantee that Revis is back in 2013, and if he is Cromartie is probably gone. Making that pass rusher even more important.

Either way, the Jets need to BAP their way right thru the draft.

Agree with all of this, but the cap is going to ensure very few returning vets in 3013

This is true. I expect the 3013 team to look a lot different than this one.

Also, agree most that Bitonti is out of mind when he defends this oline. He's going full ghoulston on that one.

Bit's using unbiased data when assessing the Jets' OL, and he's right. It's still one of the better OLs in the league. The Jets have nothing at QB or RB, that's the problem. Fix one or both of those, and all of a sudden this OL looks pretty damn good. Yeah, they should look to get younger on the OL, and draft OL when they reach the top of their draft board, but forcing picks is always the road to a bad draft.

The #9 overall pick is way too early to draft either a guard or a RT, especially in a draft that's supposed to be rich in pass rushers - a much bigger need than OL. There's also no guarantee that Revis is back in 2013, and if he is Cromartie is probably gone. Making that pass rusher even more important.

This is true. I expect the 3013 team to look a lot different than this one.

Damn straight. Jets players wearing Jet-packs on Mars motherf#$%r! And we'll be still a running team.

Look, we know only a couple of things as of right now. First is who the HC is and we also know that Rex Ryan loves Mark Sanchez so much that he tattooed his old lady with his image. Another thing we know is that Sanchez is still a Jet, and will STILL be a Jet come next September and with a stupid head coach running the show who is also delusional and knows next to nothing about an offense other than how to rack up good stat numbers against them (even if that means when the game is on the line said numbers mean NOTHING)

I fully expect Sanchez will be under Mangold's ass on opening day 2013. so WTHBS, no, there is no chance we win 10 games-not with that QB and this HC...

Bit's using unbiased data when assessing the Jets' OL, and he's right. It's still one of the better OLs in the league. The Jets have nothing at QB or RB, that's the problem. Fix one or both of those, and all of a sudden this OL looks pretty damn good. Yeah, they should look to get younger on the OL, and draft OL when they reach the top of their draft board, but forcing picks is always the road to a bad draft.

Fixing the OL is not sexy but that is the shortest path to this team being competitive again. There are some stud pass rushers that will available at #9 and hopefully the Jets can trade down to accumulate picks and still get Warmack.

Whether the Jets roll with Sanchez, McElroy, a game manager, or draft a rookie - the best chance for them to succeed is with a good running game and time to throw.

As tempting as a guy like Mingo or another OLB would be, the whole point of keeping Rex around is because he is supposed to be a defensive coach who is capable of making due with avg talent. All of the $$ and focus this off season needs to be on the offense and if you look at '09 and '10 even Sanchez was successful with a dominant OL.

Archived